4.8

Mechanicsburg
2005 Technology Pkwy
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
877-916-4244

Dr. Roth was very business like in our consultation, but not in a negative way. She reviewed our extensive family history, my prior medical diagnoses and then asked about our goals and hopes. We were given preliminary options and they were moderately explained, as well as the testing we would need to complete before the start of treatment...Throughout the 3 months of treatment, I only met with Dr Roth one time, and did the rest of my communications through my nurse
The clinic [Shady Grove] has quite a few patients, so be prepared to wait. That said, they do a great job at finding an available appt ASAP if needed date. They also have great hours so you can go before work. They tend to make apts as quick and painless...When I was closer to my IUI date, I was told my two nurses that I was to take my trigger shot that night and to schedule my IUI in two days. However, in the afternoon another nurse called and acted like she had no idea why that nurse would say that, and that I was to continue medication for several more days. It was very upsetting.
How was your experience with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Roth was very business like in our consultation, but not in a negative way. She reviewed our extensive family history, my prior medical diagnoses and then asked about our goals and hopes. We were given preliminary options and they were moderately explained, as well as the testing we would need to complete before the start of treatment. After testing of both myself and my husband, a plan was laid out, but this was not shared with my by Dr. Roth. During my IUI treatment, there were several setbacks and the cycle lasted over 50 days. Dr. Roth did not contact me one time, which I did think was odd, but I felt so taken care of by my nurse, that I didn’t question it or request to speak to Dr. Roth. When I received mypositce beta, Dr. Roth personally called to congratulate me. In my follow up appointments before graduating from Shady Grove, I never saw Dr. Roth once. When I graduated, Dr. Roth once again called to congratulate me and give us well wishes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
She knows what she is doing and I would absolutely trust her with my care again, but don’t expect to get much besides the bare bones from her
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Lauren Roth used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Roth’s goal was to get me to ovulate, as I have PCOS and she speculated I had never ovulated before in my life. We took a low and slow approach, as I had 30+ follicles on each ovary and was at a very high risk of over stimulating my ovary. She shared that while that is perfect for IVF, if we wanted to move forward with IUI (which is what we wanted) that over production of eggs, would cause a delay in treatment as they will not preform an IUI with more than3 eggs (usually they will not preform if there are more than 2 eggs). I was started on letrozole and ending up needed 2 rounds of this medication. I appreciated that when I was not producing after one round, instead of starting a new cycle, Dr. Roth allowed me to continue, just with an additional round of medication. When my one follicle was close but not quite large enough after finishing two rounds, Dr. Roth added in gonal f injections. A trigger shot and progesterone supplements rounded off our treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison Catalani )
Allison was there to answer all of my questions, and in a timely manner. I would email Allison day and night with questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic has quite a few patients, so be prepared to wait. That said, they do a great job at finding an available appt ASAP if needed date. They also have great hours so you can go before work. They tend to make apts as quick and painless
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility.
Very thankfully, my medical insurance covered my treatment. I was in charge of paying copays at each visit and was required to pay on full front injectable medication, as my insurance did not cover an oral/injectable combo cycle
Describe Lauren Roth's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Frederick

Over several cycles, we had to do two rounds of medication. Dr. Roth used this information to increase the dosage for the following rounds...took the time to explain the process and get to know us on a personal level... When delivering the news that I would have to lose weight before proceeding, she wasn't especially compassionate or helpful, which was disappointing...She had a positive outlook on the process and didn't make us feel like anything was our fault
There were times [at Shady Grove Fertility] when information wasn't relayed quick enough or was incorrect based on previous conversations...Shady Grove does have a BMI limit for some procedures...They are a well-oiled machine. Because they have so many locations and staff, they have lots of availability for testing, which is super convenient. You do sometimes feel like just a number, but the efficiency makes up for it...We did four rounds of timed intercourse. I took letrozole to encourage ovulation. Over several cycles, we had to do two rounds of medication. Dr. Roth used this information to increase the dosage for the following rounds.
How was your experience with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Roth was understanding and took the time to answer questions and get to know us on a personal level. She had a positive outlook on the process and didn't make us feel like anything was our fault. Shady Grove does have a BMI limit for some procedures though, which unfortunately applies to us. When delivering the news that I would have to lose weight before proceeding, she wasn't especially compassionate or helpful, which was disappointing.
Ask lots of questions.
Dr. Roth took the time to explain the process and get to know us on a personal level. However, it was sometimes hard to not feel like a number at Shady Grove as a whole. It's run like a baby-factory - which is good and bad. They're good at what they do and provide lots of availability for testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
They were thorough and answered all the questions I had.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility knows what they are doing. They are a well-oiled machine. Because they have so many locations and staff, they have lots of availability for testing, which is super convenient. You do sometimes feel like just a number, but the efficiency makes up for it.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There were times when information wasn't relayed quick enough or was incorrect based on previous conversations.
Rockville

I felt that Dr. Roth was very thorough in her explanation of our options and what treatment entailed, but was caught off guard by my questions, as if she felt she had already answered everything. ... Dr. Roth was welcoming and understanding of our reason for being there. She was very straightforward and her explanation was thorough. It was a lot to take in, so I had some questions. When I asked those questions she was abrupt in answering them and seemed a little agitated. We’ve only seen her twice in the process, and are about halfway through our first cycle.
Strengths [of Shady Grove Fertility]: Patient care ... Convenient appointment times ... Responsiveness ... Calming and comfortable setting ... Great staff ... Weaknesses: Communication regarding financial options ... You deal with a lot of different people ... Jamie [nurse] has been very responsive and clear in answering my questions. ... $19,500 for shared risk program
How was your experience with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t expect her to be your best friend or cheerleader - she is committed to your care but not there to hold your hand, which for me, is ok.
She gave us the option of trying IUI, which we declined. I felt a little unclear on the process of confirming that my tubes were completely blocked (I had only done an HSG, which is not a 100% confirmation), and why there wasn’t an option to have a procedure that unblocked them, so I had to do some digging to find that out. We opted to go for IVF. She prescribed birth control, hormone injections, and injection for triggering ovulation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jamie Dean)
Jamie has been very responsive and clear in answering my questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: Patient care Calming and comfortable setting Responsiveness Convenient appointment times Great staff Weaknesses: Communication regarding financial options You deal with a lot of different people
$19,500 for shared risk program