Medical SchoolU. of Maryland
FellowshipU. of Maryland/U. of Utah
3015 Williams Drive
Fairfax, VA 22031
703.698.7355
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Laurence Udoff to a friend?

6.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Genetics & IVF Institute to a friend?
I trust him [Dr. Udoff], he eases my worry...is able to think from my perspective. He is rigorous, but he also reads my mind and makes clear corresponding explanation on my treatment plan and techniques...My protocol was not complicated, since I have two girls and want a boy, so we chose family balance(gender selection) through IVF plus PGD. I went through stimulation, egg retrieval, genetic screening and embryo transfer without any special treatment or complication, then I was pregnant this May! Since I trust the professionalism of Dr. Udoff, I am confident that he will make me pregnant.
How was your experience with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
I trust him, he eases my worry. Dr. Udoff is an expert in assisted reproductive medicine, he is empathy and is able to think from my perspective. He is rigorous, but he also reads my mind and makes clear corresponding explanation on my treatment plan and techniques.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
From the day I chose Dr. Udoff to treat myself, I have fully trusted him and the nurse, I trusted their judgement, I followed their calendar and suggestion, I communicated with them immediately if I had any questions. Only when GIVF and I work as a team will increase my successful rate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
I felt like home and was treated as a family member, they not only cared about me during the treatment, but also provided me a lot of information on local tours, restaurants, shop and transportation, we had a pleasant and delighting trip in VA and Greater Washington DC during my treatment.
Describe the protocols Laurence Udoff used in your cycles at Genetics & IVF Institute and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genetics & IVF Institute. (Assigned nurse: Mandy and Jenny)
Jenny and Mandy. I like these two nurses quite much. They are careful and thoughtful, patient and meticulous in answering every question I have. When I need help, especially on the time schedule, they will do their best to coordinate and try to give me the best arrangement. I am grateful to them.
Describe your experience with Genetics & IVF Institute.
The clinic is elegantly-decorated, cozy, clean and well-equipped, staffs and friendly, I felt comfortable in every visit, I also received many educational materials on IVF before my treatment. Easy to schedule or adjust appointment time, even if I had urgent question on my injection at night, I was able to reach my primary nurses to solve problems. And I didn't have any issue on billing either.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Genetics & IVF Institute.
Easy come and easy go: I just checked in, wait till my name to be called, done my blood draw and transferred to another waiting area, and then done my ultrasound. The monitoring was smooth and easy.
Describe Laurence Udoff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genetics & IVF Institute.
He prefers eSET and explained to us the reasons, and we followed his suggestion, I also prefer to carry only one baby at a time.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Udoff is very considerate of our diagnosis with infertility. He has always explained our options thoroughly and has been honest about our chances of success. I trust his medical guidance when undergoing any treatment.... Husband has azoospermia (0 sperm) which was diagnosed after 2 TESE surgeries by 2 different urologists. Now we are using a directed donor for treatment. For the 3 cycles of IUI: HSG prior to treatment to ensure open tubes. Clomid for 5 days, blood work and ovulation cycle monitoring.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
Listen to his guidance. He has a lot of experience and is knowledgeable on an array of infertility cases. Ask all the questions you need to that will help you make the right decision for your situation.
I felt and still feel like a human under Dr. Udoff's care. I truly believe he cares about our goals to start a family and he answers all of our questions and concerns. He has always provided the information we are seeking to the best of his ability and his bedside manner is great. I feel comfortable and under safe care during all my treatment.
Husband has azoospermia (0 sperm) which was diagnosed after 2 TESE surgeries by 2 different urologists. Now we are using a directed donor for treatment. For the 3 cycles of IUI: HSG prior to treatment to ensure open tubes. Clomid for 5 days, blood work and ovulation cycle monitoring. Unfortunately the cycles failed but we were told in advance that the chances of pregnancy were low. Currently preparing for the 1st IVF cycle which I will undergo an HYS, use an ovulation predictor kit, wear an Estrogen patch, use medications/hormone injections to stimulate egg growth/retrieval. We were told that IVF, while it is way more expensive, will double our chances of success, but is not guaranteed. We are hopeful that this will work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genetics & IVF Institute. (Assigned nurse: Valerie Cyrus)
My primary lead nurse is wonderful and kind. She is very thorough in her instructions. She reaches out constantly and has been so compassionate throughout this whole process. The nursing staff at GIVF has been great to work with. The nurse who handles the blood work has been caring and she converses with me so early in the morning I really appreciate that. The nurse who does the sonograms doesn't have the most kindest demeanor but she does care and is gentle so that is also appreciated.
Describe your experience with Genetics & IVF Institute.
The strengths would definitely be the medical staff (nurses and Dr. Udoff in my case). They are knowledgeable, helpful and flexible. I would say that the weakness lies in the financial advisory department. I understand that they need to provide you with the facts of how the financial "plans" work but the staff isn't the kindest or knowledgeable. There have been times that I've showed up for a cycle monitoring after a failed cycle and the receptionist says that I owe money when we've paid in full already and that is the last thing I want to hear. Everything has to be paid in full at GIVF prior to treatment. There are no payment plans which makes it really difficult.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute.
I find GIVF to be pretty expensive but I just think that is the norm for fertility clinics and fertility treatment. The stuff that could be done with insurance was but it was just basic doctor visits or tests like the HSG or HYS. Everything else has been out of pocket and paid in full prior to treatment.
Dr. Udoff thoroughly explained the risks of multiple embryo transfer so he does not recommend doing that if it can be avoided. He feels strongly that the safer route and higher chances of a successful healthy pregnancy will be yielded from a single embryo transfer.
Fairfax

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Udoff] explains everything thoroughly and professionally while also being considerate of our emotional and financial situation. He has never given us false hope or higher expectations, which I prefer. I trust him intrinsically and recommend him 100%.... We were both tested for genetic disorders and determined each egg had to be tested using PGD. This round we will be doing an endometrial lining test as well to ensure embryo implantation will be at the most opportune time.
European, East Asian, Native American
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
He explains everything thoroughly and professionally while also being considerate of our emotional and financial situation. He has never given us false hope or higher expectations, which I prefer. I trust him intrinsically and recommend him 100%.
Listen to his advice. He gives you all your options, gives you his thought, but ultimately leaves the final decisions to you without any pressure.
He spoke to me without sugar coating anything. He was realistic but always on the side of thinking positively. He has handled every situation perfectly and professionally.
Used hormone injections to stimulate egg growth and had egg retrievals both times. We were both tested for genetic disorders and determined each egg had to be tested using PGD. This round we will be doing an endometrial lining test as well to ensure embryo implantation will be at the most opportune time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genetics & IVF Institute. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
She is amazing, professional, kind, and most importantly always availavle to talk or to ask her question. I can't imagine any other nurse through this process!
Describe your experience with Genetics & IVF Institute.
I only have positive things to say. They are always helpful, quick to help and respond to questions, as well as sweet and caring. Although I would like more flexible monitoring hours in the morning (I'm just not a morning person), they have always been very flexible for me. Not to mention professional.
They put you in for a scheduled time but they are flexible each time knowing things come up or things happen, I.e. traffic. You simply wait as first come first serve at that point. It all goes very smoothly without a long wait.
They worked with my insurance, which covered a certain percentage. The rest we had to pay but GIVF was very helpful to figure options that were affordable.
He prefer eSET to ensure there is little to no danger to the mother and the potential embryo. I believe he is willing to discuss multiple embryo transfer if there is a limited health risk.

2010 - 2011
Dr Udoff was a good listener but his bedside manner was a bit cold. I do like that he was very direct and gave detailed explanations of treatments, diagnosis, etc. I did not like that he followed protocols without any room for analyzing whether it was necessary. For example, he insisted I get a mammogram before my second transfer even though I had only just finished nursing twins and the results of the mammogram would be unreliable.
2010 - 2011
How was your experience with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
If you are his patient, he's great for providing information but not very flexible. He has no bedside manner but he does seem to genuinely care about successful outcomes for his patients.
He was a good listener and spent time to really understand my history. However, when it came to the treatment cycle I rarely saw him and he did not do my FET
N/A I did a frozen embryo transfer with donated embryos because I was in premature ovarian failure
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genetics & IVF Institute. (Assigned nurse: Kristen?)
The nurses were very helpful but getting in touch was sometimes challenging.
Describe your experience with Genetics & IVF Institute.
There wasn't a lot of personal care but I felt they were very efficient and I never had to wait for long periods of time for my appointments.
Overly expensive. It cost $2000 more than some other nearby clinics for the FET
My doctor let me decide. I did a double embryo transfer and I got pregnant with twins on my first try. I was overjoyed with this outcome and I appreciated the doctor respecting my right to choose.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Laurence Udoff] explained very carefully my case, the expectations of finding a good egg due to my age (44 at the time) and was honest in his approach...he is very strong in genetic implications of age related infertility, he is honest and open. He was encouraging without over promising. He is a balanced professional and has significant experience, I would have liked to be told about CQ10 and DHEA before the treatment and not after it didnt work, but outside of that, i dont have any complaints.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
he is someone you can rely on
He explained very carefully my case, the expectations of finding a good egg due to my age (44 at the time) and was honest in his approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genetics & IVF Institute. (Assigned nurse: Mandy)
She was very accommodating and thorough in her follow up and a very nice person
Describe your experience with Genetics & IVF Institute.
strengths - genetic testing, medium size clinic in which you see the same staff over and over and they know your case well and follow your progression. You are very well treated.
20 K covered by insurance + 5 k for PGD
they transfered 2 embryos that seemed to be doing Ok and were from a frozen cycle i did at age 39 and let the other 5 embryos be tested using PGD

2012 - 2015
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Don't expect someone to hold your hand or make eye contact. He is a bit rough during transfers and it can be painful. He is probably talented, but just sharp edged.
2012 - 2015
5 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Laurence Udoff at Genetics & IVF Institute?
For the first transfer, I was so well cared for by the nurses that I didn't mind so much that he was so cold. However during retrieval he had lots of issues with the transfer and wasn't very kind about it. I had had five previous transfers, so I was pretty well acquainted with the process and knew it was going poorly(and painful!). He did not acknowledge this at all nor explain anything while he was working. However, he also did my fourth transfer which did result in a successful second pregnancy.
Dr. Udoff doesn't really have a very kind way about him. He is just there to do his job.
Donor eggs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Genetics & IVF Institute. (Assigned nurse: Ashley mckittrick)
Ashley was wonderful. A gem. She worked so hard and was so fabulous. Unfortunately, due to some strange re organisation at GIVF, she was forced out. It was very sad as she was amazing.
About $30 000 +/-
What specific things went wrong at Genetics & IVF Institute?