Nurse available by email
New London
4 SHAWS COVE
New London, CT 06320
(877) 860 8044
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lawrence Engmann to a friend?

9.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Lawrence Engmann] took the time to review my medical record transferred from my Gynecologist. He differed in opinion with my Gynecologist and proceeded to request his own examination. He was eager and very proactive in finding out my true medical condition. He also took into account my partners infertility issues. He provided recommendations as well for my boyfriend to follow up with with his own primary care doctor.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr Engmann showed compassion when sharing with me my exam results. He made sure I understood right away what everything meant in his findings. He took the time to review my medical record transferred from my Gynecologist. He differed in opinion with my Gynecologist and proceeded to request his own examination. He was eager and very proactive in finding out my true medical condition. He also took into account my partners infertility issues. He provided recommendations as well for my boyfriend to follow up with with his own primary care doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr Engmann is very busy and give yourself enough time to gather all your questions prior to your visit with him so that you have a very thorough consultation. Do not assume he can take you right in for an appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr Lawrence Engmann, M.D. was candid and got straight to the point. He chatted with me alone, a second consultation included my boyfriend who resides in a different state. He provided us with viable options on how to proceed in our conceiving journey.
Describe the protocols Lawrence Engmann used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
Due to my advanced age and my boyfriends fertility complications he recommended to start IVF as soon as possible. Also to have my uterine fibroids removed prior to starting the IVF process to help ensure a safer pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Mary Kate Malloy)
She was outstanding and prompt returning my calls when I had added questions.
Describe your experience with Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Caring, compassionate and welcoming was exactly how I felt in the waiting room. The financial counselor provided a brief overview but we would have liked for her to provide us with other information or grant options out there verdes just providing us a pamphlet on how to secure a loan to pay for IVF treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Genetic testing; blood lab work, freezing of my partners sperm, consultation fee & physical exams
Hartford

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

Anovulation, Unexplained
During each cycle, Dr. Engmann radiated empathy and compassion when we would get negative results. During the care after the chemical pregnancy/miscarriage, he was very comforting and spent extra time talking my husband and I through our grief and options moving forward.... Dr. Engmann has been an excellent communicator and explained everything in a way that was easy to understand. He has been patient with our questions and nervousness as related to the cost of treatment.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Engmann has been an excellent communicator and explained everything in a way that was easy to understand. He has been patient with our questions and nervousness as related to the cost of treatment. His kindness while we grieved our loss was so genuine and I’m very grateful to be his patient.
Don’t hesitate to ask a question even if it seems “stupid” as the doctor is more than happy to take his time to explain anything that you might be confused about.
We first did (I believe) 3 cycles of provera to induce my period and have timed intercourse. When this didn’t result in pregnancy, we moved onto 2 unsuccessful IUI cycles with 5 mg of letrozole to induce ovulation. Our third IUI cycle, I was prescribed 7.5 mg of letrozole and had a positive pregnancy test (urine & blood confirmed). At almost 6 weeks, we found out that I was miscarrying — a chemical pregnancy. After a lot of bloodwork and an endometrial biopsy and several ultrasounds, we determined it was not an ectopic pregnancy and I would not need a D&C. We’re currently not pursuing another IUI or beginning IVF as our budget will not allow for that for quite awhile. We’re going to attempt a cycle (or several) with provera and letrozole and timed intercourse while we lay down our balance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Mary Kate & Peggy)
My initial nurse, Mary kate, ended up going on maternity leave shortly after we began treatment. I’ve mostly worked with Peggy and I absolutely adore her. Both women are very clear in their communication and answer all of my questions and provide an incredible amount of emotional support. There have been a couple of other nurses (whom I don’t know and could not name based on one interaction) who have called to tell me of a negative result with a very chipper and misleading tone. I never had this problem with Mary Kate or Peggy and am so grateful for my interactions with them.
The financial advisors don’t necessarily see your records prior to talking to you. This can be frustrating when you’re grieving a negative result or trying to figure out how to move forward under incredible stress and THEN getting a call about balance owed or insurance approval processes.
We have pretty good insurance, but have still had pretty sizable costs over the last 10 months. It’s always helpful after we meet our deductible. We’ve spent north of $5000 on our treatment thus far.

Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We met with him [Dr. Lawrence Engmann] for a few of our appointments. He relies heavily on a large staff of nurses to provide him with the daily data. Every bloodwork and US was reviewed by him even if I didn't speak with him directly. He was open to hearing our goals and matching treatment to them. He also fully explained the likely causes, and possible courses to take early on.... The initial plan was 3 cycles on letrozole with timed intercourse, because letrozole is a more conservative choice than clomid with fewer side effects.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We met with him for a few of our appointments. He relies heavily on a large staff of nurses to provide him with the daily data. Every bloodwork and US was reviewed by him even if I didn't speak with him directly. He was open to hearing our goals and matching treatment to them. He also fully explained the likely causes, and possible courses to take early on.
Trust in the process and don't try to be more of a doctor than he is. The clinic has a method and it can be frustratingly slow but they proceed with treatment in the order they do for a reason. Treatment begins pretty conservatively but is open to changes if you make it known you'd like to be more aggressive.
He's very direct but also kind and uses some slight humor. This is a big practice and my nurse was more up to speed with my day today treatment.
The initial plan was 3 cycles on letrozole with timed intercourse, because letrozole is a more conservative choice than clomid with fewer side effects. After that the plan was 3 IUI cycles with letrozole but after 2 IUIs we were given the option to proceed to IVF if we were getting frustrated. We're starting IVF shortly.
She was very responsive and entertained any questions I had. She always deferred to Dr Engman for decisions but would talk to me about "hypothetical" outcomes before Dr Engman had reviewed my chart, and would then follow up that he had come to the same conclusion.
It's a very large clinic but the nursing staff is very organized and you have one POC for your whole treatment plan. Depending on who is there that day you will see different Drs and nursing staff. All of the Drs I've interacted with are friendly and direct. The auxiliary staff is not quite as organized and compassionate, to them you are just patients.
I have an insurance benefit that covers everything for me. SAs for my husband was $230
Describe Lawrence Engmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Dr Engman advises only one embryo transferred at a time.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?

2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I like Dr. Engmann because he gives all of the info. The good, the bad, everything. The only downfall is that I wish that he would say, “This is what we are doing.” Because he’s the doctor. I don’t want to choose. ... He can come across as stand offish, but he’s not. He’s really smart and really cares for his patients. ... I was allowed to grieve my loss, and when freaking out after transfer 2 failed he called to check on me.
2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
I was always explained everything and allowed to choose. I was allowed to grieve my loss, and when freaking out after transfer 2 failed he called to check on me.
IVF- Antagonist protocol w/ Cetrotide. 3 retrievals w/ different amounts of Gonal and Menapur Natural transfer-I ovulate Medicated transfer w/ Lovenox-never does the same thing twice Afyer 2 failed transfers for no reason Fertilome Immunology karyotype ERA
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Amanda Czilak)
I wouldn’t get through this without her. She and all the staff in Hartford are amazing. So much better than Farmington.
Hartford is small and so they know everybody. Only Dr Engmann and Dr diLiugi practice in Hartford. They aren’t open on weekends, and all procedures are done in Farmington. That can be awkward because any of the doctors can/will perform procedures. Most people I know prefer the Hartford office because there are less patients and so morning cycling goes faster than farmington-even though it opens later.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
The doors open at 7am, and I arrive at 630. Bloodwork starts at 715 and ultrasounds start at 745. Some days getting to work on time is tough even on just bloodwork days, other days it’s empty.
Living in CT, we are a mandate state. However, we have exhausted our benefits. In additon, we are now moving to treatments/testing that wouldn’t be covered regardless. In addition to what insurance covered we’re paid: 3220 - crypto fees 800-ERA 4000-deductible 150-Fertilome
I kind of wish we could do 2 PGS tested next time, but I don’t want to waste embryos either. We do have 4 untested frozen, and if we use those we will transfer 2.
Hartford

Dr. Engmann is not only an incredibly compassionate doctor, but also an incredibly patient (with all my questions), kind (you could tell he always wanted the best outcome), and knowledgable of every cycle and situation we were in. If there was an issue with treatment plan, or medications he reacted so quickly. Dr. Engmann calmed my nerves and relieved my anxiety during appointments. I will never forget when we were prepping for our transfer, he came in to speak to my husband and I and told us the embryo was "perfect". I cried and he put his hand on my shoulder to reassure me this was going to be a good day. During the transfer he and the nurse walked me through every step of the way and showed me on the screen where the embryo was placed. When we had our viability scan he could tell we were extremely nervous, and he immediately went right into the ultrasound- no small talk...just straight to the point. We we "graduated" from the clinic I cried happy tears for the first time in his treatment room and I'm forever grateful for Dr. Engmann and his compassion.
Trust him. No matter what you "google" or read on your Facebook forum, he knows what he's doing and he has your best interest in mind.
Dr. Engman was wonderful, as well as his entire staff. Phone calls were returned so quickly- regardless of how trivial my questions may have been at times. He always knew the details of my particular cycle when he walked into the treatment room. All procedures, updates, etc. were explained in full and expectations were set.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Darlene (IUI) & Amanda (IVF))
Darlene, even though she's no long with the clinic, was such a constant during our treatments. She walked us through every procedure, every medication. She educated and answered questions, she never treated me like my questions were silly. Amanda was such a change in attitude that my husband and I needed. After our failed medicated cycles and failed IUI moving onto IVF was a really hard transition for us. I thought of IVF as the "LAST CHANCE" and Amanda was so patient during our initial consultation and explained that this was the next best step. She walked us through all the paperwork explaining decisions we needed to make. Leading up to and after all the IVF procedures she was irreplaceable- checking in on me, making sure I was up to date with all information and returned my calls so quickly. She knew I was concerned about my TSH levels and was sure to test them and adjust my medications appropriately. When we were testing for Beta levels- I could tell in her voice that she was genuinely happy for us. When we graduated from the clinic she sought us out to say goodbye and it just made my heart so happy.
The clinic was wonderful; from the front desk staff, the phlebotomists, nurses, financial team, doctors....everyone was just wonderful, compassionate and kept information confidential. There was one doctor I had a terrible experience with, I informed my doctor of the situation and I never saw that one doctor again- thankful for my doctor who fully understood this particular situation.
Morning appointments depended on the number of patients who were also there for monitoring. It was really nice to see most of the same faces and know that you weren't alone. The monitoring procedures themselves were relatively quick and painless. I liked going in the morning because I didnt have to take more time out of work.
We were lucky to have fantastic insurance, our costs were mostly copays. Totaling somewhere in the ball park of $3,000.00
We trusted Dr. Engmann's decision as to if he'd transfer a single or multiple embryos. Thankfully, we had a "perfect" embryo and only had to transfer one.
Hartford

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Engmann always prefers to see his patients for scans, transfers, etc. I think he truly cares about his patients. I think he maybe didn't always think outside the box for other things we could try (could have been restricted due to the clinic) such as immune testing or testing for endometriosis. I went unexplained for 2 years without a diagnosis and we just keep trying IVF and kept failing. I feel like we should have spent more time at the very beginning trying to figure out root cause. He has good bedside manner and doesn't sugar coat things if they don't look right.
Sometimes he can be a bit clinical but he is very factual.
I did feel like they truly cared about me. I just felt like they kept trying to do IVF as a solution rather than look for root cause for my problems.
My 2nd retrieval was an antagonist protocol with menopur and gonal f. I cannot remember what the first one was (just gonal F). I also used HGH in my 2nd retrieval. I had a better outcome in that I had more PGS normal embryos that cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Amanda Cislak)
Amanda was fabulous. She is responsive on the phone and also replies to emails which can sometimes be more convenient for the patient if we are at work, etc. She's compassionate... she has cried with me and laughed with me. I truly felt connected to her and that she cared about me as a patient and person.
They have a number of qualified physicians there and a strong lab. They have some of the highest success rates in the state and multiple locations so you can go to wherever is most convenient to you. They follow national guidelines though so they will not try any of the new outside of the box treatments... such as immune treatments, etc. They tend to do similar things... hysteroscopy, ERA testing, PGS testing, etc. that they rely on as next steps when IVF has failed. However I think there is more testing that can be done that I had to ask for (Sperm DNA fragmentation, MRI for adenomyosis, immune testing/medications, EFT testing, etc.). I did end up having to go to an immune specialist to get further answers to try something different after 5 failed cycles and 3 miscarriages (1 of which was a PGS tested embryo).
Sometimes it is very busy there. They say they start blood draws at 7:15 but I have been there and they often don't start until 7:30... There is always a long wait but that is just due to the volume of patients and only 1 person who does blood draws.
We had $20,000 of insurance money which lasted us about 1 year (3 IUIs, 1 retrieval with fresh transfer, and 1 FET). After that we were self pay and opted to do a financial share program which cost us $20,000 for 6 cycles (3 fresh and 3 FET). However costs for anesthesia, cryo, PGS, etc. were not included in that so that was an additional cost.
He definitely prefers eSET. He feels strongly against multiples. He advised us to transfer 1 many times.
2013 - 2016
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Engmann is an amazingly kind and compassionate brilliant Doctor. He cares very deeply about his patients...We conceived our son under his care when I was 42 years old. Our son was diagnosed with cancer at 13 months old and passed away at 17 months old. We are presently trying to have another child and Dr. Engmann has been so compassionate and kind and gentle with us. My age is a huge factor at this point and Dr Engmann has been very understanding. Conversations have been difficult as we have had failed cycles. He wants to be hopeful but realistic at the same time...Any one would be lucky to have him. He is truly one of the best doctors I have ever met...
2013 - 2016
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Engmann is a very kind and brilliant dr. We conceived our son under his care when I was 42 years old. Our son was diagnosed with cancer at 13 months old and passed away at 17 months old. We are presently trying to have another child and Dr. Engmann has been so compassionate and kind and gentle with us. My age is a huge factor at this point and Dr Engmann has been very understand. Conversations have been difficult as we have had failed cycles. He wants to be hopeful but realistic at the same time.
We have used atagonist protocol, micro dose lupron. We did PGS testing and got 2 chromosomally normal embryos at 44 years of age but the transfer was unsuccessful. We have done 4 egg retrievals since losing our son to cancer to try to get chromosomally normal embryos with my own eggs. I produce a lot of eggs at 45 years old. We've retrieved 12 eggs in the 1st cycle, 26 in the 2nd, 24 in the 3rd and 30 in the 4th cycle.
Amanda is an amazing nurse. So kind and compassionate and always takes time to talk to me and comfort me when needed
It's an excellent clinic. The staff is amazing. Everyone cares deeply from the receptionist to the girls taking blood draws to every nurse and ultrasound technician
We've spent over $50,000 for 5 egg retrievals which led to 3 embryo transfers. This resulted in 1 full term baby.
2015 - 2019
Dr Engmann was very compassionate and respectful and was ready to listen to our opinion. And he was very honest about what he thinks . He sometimes call me personally if he needs to give us information about treatment....He is going to tell you as think and not sugar coat his words to make you feel better. He will be frank with you.... My ivf protocol was microdose flare . Because I am a poor responder.it consist of lupron , Gonal F and Menopur.
2015 - 2019
I was treated like a family
My ivf protocol was microdose flare . Because I am a poor responder.it consist of lupron , Gonal F and Menopur. After a whole week of injections my blood work was the same and my cycle was cancelled. I’m yet to start any cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Amanda Seslac)
Amanda had me come to the office and we sat down and she explained all I needed to know about my injections and how to administer them
CARS is a nice and clean place to be. They are very organized and you have a whole doctor or a nurse to yourself. And they many offices in Connecticut so you don’t have to be on waiting list for long.
I did six IUI and each cost $750.00 and the IVF $11000 and medication cost $8000
Yes, he recommended a single embryo transfer

2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
We had so many trials and tribulations during the course of the four years of treatment, and he [Dr. Lawrence Engmann] was there every step of the way and showing care and compassion towards us! I've never had a doctor have a such a personal investment in me as he was...The care and treatment was so personal and kind...Don't worry if he seems very serious yes, he is excellent at what he does and takes it seriously but can also joke and have a sense of humor.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
We had so many trials and tribulations during the course of the four years of treatment, and he was there every step of the way and showing care and compassion towards us! I've never had a doctor have a such a personal investment in me as he was.
The care and treatment was so personal and kind. It felt like a family at the clinic with everyone rooting for you!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Amanda and Helen)
They are so invested in you and your outcome. They are always available when you call and are willing to answer any questions you have.
This was my best experience have any doctors office or clinic. It was like a family and they are so kind and caring and invested in the outcome that you feel like you have nothing to worry about because they have it all under control.
We did a combination of patches and injections the second time around which was now and we are pregnant. Previously we did injections with no patch and it was unsuccessful with only three eggs to retrieve.