Medical SchoolGhana
New London
4 SHAWS COVE
New London, CT 06320
(877) 860 8044
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lawrence Engmann to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) to a friend?
How was your experience with Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr. Engmann is not only an incredibly compassionate doctor, but also an incredibly patient (with all my questions), kind (you could tell he always wanted the best outcome), and knowledgable of every cycle and situation we were in. If there was an issue with treatment plan, or medications he reacted so quickly. Dr. Engmann calmed my nerves and relieved my anxiety during appointments. I will never forget when we were prepping for our transfer, he came in to speak to my husband and I and told us the embryo was "perfect". I cried and he put his hand on my shoulder to reassure me this was going to be a good day. During the transfer he and the nurse walked me through every step of the way and showed me on the screen where the embryo was placed. When we had our viability scan he could tell we were extremely nervous, and he immediately went right into the ultrasound- no small talk...just straight to the point. We we "graduated" from the clinic I cried happy tears for the first time in his treatment room and I'm forever grateful for Dr. Engmann and his compassion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Trust him. No matter what you "google" or read on your Facebook forum, he knows what he's doing and he has your best interest in mind.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr. Engman was wonderful, as well as his entire staff. Phone calls were returned so quickly- regardless of how trivial my questions may have been at times. He always knew the details of my particular cycle when he walked into the treatment room. All procedures, updates, etc. were explained in full and expectations were set.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Darlene (IUI) & Amanda (IVF))
Darlene, even though she's no long with the clinic, was such a constant during our treatments. She walked us through every procedure, every medication. She educated and answered questions, she never treated me like my questions were silly. Amanda was such a change in attitude that my husband and I needed. After our failed medicated cycles and failed IUI moving onto IVF was a really hard transition for us. I thought of IVF as the "LAST CHANCE" and Amanda was so patient during our initial consultation and explained that this was the next best step. She walked us through all the paperwork explaining decisions we needed to make. Leading up to and after all the IVF procedures she was irreplaceable- checking in on me, making sure I was up to date with all information and returned my calls so quickly. She knew I was concerned about my TSH levels and was sure to test them and adjust my medications appropriately. When we were testing for Beta levels- I could tell in her voice that she was genuinely happy for us. When we graduated from the clinic she sought us out to say goodbye and it just made my heart so happy.
Describe your experience with Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
The clinic was wonderful; from the front desk staff, the phlebotomists, nurses, financial team, doctors....everyone was just wonderful, compassionate and kept information confidential. There was one doctor I had a terrible experience with, I informed my doctor of the situation and I never saw that one doctor again- thankful for my doctor who fully understood this particular situation.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Morning appointments depended on the number of patients who were also there for monitoring. It was really nice to see most of the same faces and know that you weren't alone. The monitoring procedures themselves were relatively quick and painless. I liked going in the morning because I didnt have to take more time out of work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Engmann at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
We were lucky to have fantastic insurance, our costs were mostly copays. Totaling somewhere in the ball park of $3,000.00
Describe Lawrence Engmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
We trusted Dr. Engmann's decision as to if he'd transfer a single or multiple embryos. Thankfully, we had a "perfect" embryo and only had to transfer one.
Hartford
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Engmann always prefers to see his patients for scans, transfers, etc. I think he truly cares about his patients. I think he maybe didn't always think outside the box for other things we could try (could have been restricted due to the clinic) such as immune testing or testing for endometriosis. I went unexplained for 2 years without a diagnosis and we just keep trying IVF and kept failing. I feel like we should have spent more time at the very beginning trying to figure out root cause. He has good bedside manner and doesn't sugar coat things if they don't look right.
Sometimes he can be a bit clinical but he is very factual.
I did feel like they truly cared about me. I just felt like they kept trying to do IVF as a solution rather than look for root cause for my problems.
Describe the protocols Lawrence Engmann used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
My 2nd retrieval was an antagonist protocol with menopur and gonal f. I cannot remember what the first one was (just gonal F). I also used HGH in my 2nd retrieval. I had a better outcome in that I had more PGS normal embryos that cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Amanda Cislak)
Amanda was fabulous. She is responsive on the phone and also replies to emails which can sometimes be more convenient for the patient if we are at work, etc. She's compassionate... she has cried with me and laughed with me. I truly felt connected to her and that she cared about me as a patient and person.
They have a number of qualified physicians there and a strong lab. They have some of the highest success rates in the state and multiple locations so you can go to wherever is most convenient to you. They follow national guidelines though so they will not try any of the new outside of the box treatments... such as immune treatments, etc. They tend to do similar things... hysteroscopy, ERA testing, PGS testing, etc. that they rely on as next steps when IVF has failed. However I think there is more testing that can be done that I had to ask for (Sperm DNA fragmentation, MRI for adenomyosis, immune testing/medications, EFT testing, etc.). I did end up having to go to an immune specialist to get further answers to try something different after 5 failed cycles and 3 miscarriages (1 of which was a PGS tested embryo).
Sometimes it is very busy there. They say they start blood draws at 7:15 but I have been there and they often don't start until 7:30... There is always a long wait but that is just due to the volume of patients and only 1 person who does blood draws.
We had $20,000 of insurance money which lasted us about 1 year (3 IUIs, 1 retrieval with fresh transfer, and 1 FET). After that we were self pay and opted to do a financial share program which cost us $20,000 for 6 cycles (3 fresh and 3 FET). However costs for anesthesia, cryo, PGS, etc. were not included in that so that was an additional cost.
He definitely prefers eSET. He feels strongly against multiples. He advised us to transfer 1 many times.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
2013 - 2016
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Engmann is an amazingly kind and compassionate brilliant Doctor. He cares very deeply about his patients...We conceived our son under his care when I was 42 years old. Our son was diagnosed with cancer at 13 months old and passed away at 17 months old. We are presently trying to have another child and Dr. Engmann has been so compassionate and kind and gentle with us. My age is a huge factor at this point and Dr Engmann has been very understanding. Conversations have been difficult as we have had failed cycles. He wants to be hopeful but realistic at the same time...Any one would be lucky to have him. He is truly one of the best doctors I have ever met...
2013 - 2016
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Engmann is a very kind and brilliant dr. We conceived our son under his care when I was 42 years old. Our son was diagnosed with cancer at 13 months old and passed away at 17 months old. We are presently trying to have another child and Dr. Engmann has been so compassionate and kind and gentle with us. My age is a huge factor at this point and Dr Engmann has been very understand. Conversations have been difficult as we have had failed cycles. He wants to be hopeful but realistic at the same time.
We have used atagonist protocol, micro dose lupron. We did PGS testing and got 2 chromosomally normal embryos at 44 years of age but the transfer was unsuccessful. We have done 4 egg retrievals since losing our son to cancer to try to get chromosomally normal embryos with my own eggs. I produce a lot of eggs at 45 years old. We've retrieved 12 eggs in the 1st cycle, 26 in the 2nd, 24 in the 3rd and 30 in the 4th cycle.
Amanda is an amazing nurse. So kind and compassionate and always takes time to talk to me and comfort me when needed
It's an excellent clinic. The staff is amazing. Everyone cares deeply from the receptionist to the girls taking blood draws to every nurse and ultrasound technician
We've spent over $50,000 for 5 egg retrievals which led to 3 embryo transfers. This resulted in 1 full term baby.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
We had so many trials and tribulations during the course of the four years of treatment, and he [Dr. Lawrence Engmann] was there every step of the way and showing care and compassion towards us! I've never had a doctor have a such a personal investment in me as he was...The care and treatment was so personal and kind...Don't worry if he seems very serious yes, he is excellent at what he does and takes it seriously but can also joke and have a sense of humor.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
We had so many trials and tribulations during the course of the four years of treatment, and he was there every step of the way and showing care and compassion towards us! I've never had a doctor have a such a personal investment in me as he was.
The care and treatment was so personal and kind. It felt like a family at the clinic with everyone rooting for you!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Amanda and Helen)
They are so invested in you and your outcome. They are always available when you call and are willing to answer any questions you have.
This was my best experience have any doctors office or clinic. It was like a family and they are so kind and caring and invested in the outcome that you feel like you have nothing to worry about because they have it all under control.
We did a combination of patches and injections the second time around which was now and we are pregnant. Previously we did injections with no patch and it was unsuccessful with only three eggs to retrieve.