Houston Fertility Specialists

Doctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolRoy J Lucille A Carver
ResidencyN. Eastern Ohio U.
FellowshipEastern Virginia Jones
7900 Fannin
Houston, TX 77054
713-512-7900
251 Medical Center Blvd
Webster, TX 77598
713-512-7900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Leah Schenk to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Houston Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Very pleasant doctor, but did not see her for each visit. Can tell she [Dr. Schenk] is very busy and has lots of patients. Delegates the egg monitoring and medication administering to other staff. I did feel "heard" and she made a point to be proactive with my preferences.... This was my first IUI attempt, so we started with a basic Clomid 100mg regiment cycle days 3-7, then switched to Follistim injection (originally 125iu then dropped dose to 100iu due to responding VERY well) for cycle days 8-12, Ovidrel trigger on cycle day 12. Did not undergo IUI due to too many follicles.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Very pleasant doctor, but did not see her for each visit. Can tell she is very busy and has lots of patients. Delegates the egg monitoring and medication administering to other staff. I did feel "heard" and she made a point to be proactive with my preferences.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Even monitored/assisted cycles can end in a Negative pregnancy test. We might not be able to control everything, but we sure can control a LOT!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Tried to accommodate varied schedules, very helpful with the expensive medications, made sure I was able to obtain everything I needed.
Describe the protocols Leah Schenk used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
This was my first IUI attempt, so we started with a basic Clomid 100mg regiment cycle days 3-7, then switched to Follistim injection (originally 125iu then dropped dose to 100iu due to responding VERY well) for cycle days 8-12, Ovidrel trigger on cycle day 12. Did not undergo IUI due to too many follicles. Were advised to try unassisted.
The RN that explained my follicle numbers and sizes was wonderful! Took the time to really answer all my questions. Was very thorough when showing me the Follistim Pen and medications.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Not the clinics fault, but it's in the Houston vicinity, which is huge. Depending on how your cycle falls, even if you are based out of a clinic on the North side, if you have to have lab work or scans done on a day the DR is downtown, that's where you go. Luckily, my job was in between and they graciously let me go over my lunch hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists.
My insurance did not pay anything except the blood work. They were understanding of having to pay out-of-pocket, but it was still very expensive.
Describe Leah Schenk's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Did not get this far.
Webster
After each failed cycle she [Dr Leah Schenk] always met with us and explained what happened that cycle. She was open to any input I had in changing my medication each cycle and listened to our opinions while providing pros and cons of what we wanted to try...Make sure to ask questions. She doesn't mind answering them like some doctors, but you do have to ask.
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schenk was both compassionate and candid throughout the whole process and would give us frank estimations of our chances with each cycle.
After each failed cycle she always met with us and explained what happened that cycle. She was open to any input I had in changing my medication each cycle and listened to our opinions while providing pros and cons of what we wanted to try.
When we first began I was diagnosed with PCOS and she was sure it would be fairly easy to treat. We began with Femara IUIs and did two of those with no success before the protocol was changed. I was closely monitored each month via ultrasound to check for follicle development and uterine lining. For the next two IUIs we did both Femara and Follistim before the IUI with additional blood work monitoring and got pregnant on the fourth. Unfortunately, we lost the pregnancy at 9 weeks but Dr. Schenk was very compassionate and gave us our options with both pros and cons for each treatment of how to proceed with the miscarriage. We opted for a D/C and she performed the operation herself instead of sending me off to a strange doctor. After a two cycle healing process to rebuild the uterine lining we began again with Femara and Follistim IUIs since they worked before with the same monitoring as before. We completed two more with no success so we decided that we would do one more IUI before moving on to IVF the following year. We talked with Dr. Schenk and decided to do a Follistim only protocol for the IUI to see how I reacted to the medication that way we would have some information going into IVF if this IUI didn't work. Luckily, the last IUI worked and we did not have to move on to IVF.
Dr. Schenk has her own team of nurses that you can reach via a dedicated phone line. The phone generally doesn't get answered if it rings, but they do return messages the same day. They are all very busy and have little time to spend with individual patients but are kind and caring when they are with you.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
I believe all the other doctors at the clinic other than Dr. Mazur use the in house ultrasound tech to perform their ultrasounds. In general, this would not be an issue, as you have your ultrasound then wait to see the nurse or doctor. Unfortunately, when we had our miscarriage the tech performed the ultrasound and we found out what had happened though they can't officially tell you anything and then had to sit around in the waiting room for the doctor.
As we were only doing IUI procedures they were covered under my insurance.
2013 - 2014
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Schenk listened to how i wanted to be treated as a patient. She was very gentle with my body throughout all the procedures. I cant be more thankful for the bedside manner she displayed....She took her time with me. Ther eas no rushing or emphasis on the negatives concerning age, medical history, etc. She was excited with me during the whole process...Thorough hormone testing, counseling on procedures, egg retrieval, embryo freezing, pgs testing, explaining embryo quality, letting us cboose embryo, transfer.
2013 - 2014
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schenk listened to how i wanted to be treated as a patient. She was very gentle with my body throughout all the procedures. I cant be more thankful for the bedside manner she displayed. I have referred others to her because of this.
Tell her from the beginning exactly how you want to be treated. Let her know that you dont want to focus on negative statistics and to always be honest, but caring at the same time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Very informative in follow up care.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Need more doctors on my side of town. The clinic name speaks to the fact that bringing fertility to couples is the main goal. After, becoming pregnant, there were many available doctors to help with.y concerns. I am grateful to all the nursing staff and doctors.
Dr. Schenl let us choose the embryo and explained AB,BB, etc so we could make the decision.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Specialists?
2005 - 2012
She [Dr. Schenk] thinks before she reacts. She calmly lays out options. She takes her time with patients. I never felt rushed and always had the answers I needed. She also is sympathetic towards the financial pain and stress this causes. She did not nickel and dime us for everything. I always trusted her. She greatly considered all options before suggesting a course of treatment. We always felt safe with her. I have recommended her to others and they have been happy.
2005 - 2012
How was your experience with Leah Schenk at Houston Fertility Specialists?
She thinks before she reacts. She calmly lays out options. She takes her time with patients. I never felt rushed and always had the answers I needed. She also is sympathetic towards the financial pain and stress this causes. She did not nickel and dime us for everything. I always trusted her. She greatly considered all options before suggesting a course of treatment. We always felt safe with her. I have recommended her to others and they have been happy. I would use her again if I needed to do IVF.
Trust her. She has a more reserved demeanor than others but she is fantastic.
Kind and thoughtful
I don't remember. It's been 13 years.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Great lab facility. It's a big practice. I know others have not liked their Dr at the same practice as much as I liked mine. Overall, I have no complaints about the practice. It's in the same building as my obgyn so it was extremely convenient for me.
Reasonable compared to other clinics