Medical SchoolU. of Texas
ResidencyU. of Texas
6500 Jefferson St. Suite 250
Albuquerque, NM 87109
505.702.8020
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lee Caperton to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Caperton Fertility Institute to a friend?
2009 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Caperton was always available to answer questions I had. He was receptive to concerns and was willing to explain why his plan was a better idea than yours if that was the case. He was still willing to go your way if that was a safe plan and your wish after hearing him out. He always took the time to make sure I was comfortable with the plan and procedure, without feeling like I was being rushed. While he has a good bedside manner and can treat you delicately if need be, I don’t feel like he ever sugarcoated things. He was honest about the potential for risks and the potential results. Personally, he is charming and funny which helps put you at ease.
2009 - 2018
European, Latino, Native American
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Don’t judge a book by its cover—he is good-looking which for some people can be off-putting or make you think he is just a pretty face or arrogant. He is good at what he does and I felt comfortable working with him and have been a patient for 7 years now. If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask them—even if you think they are silly or dumb questions. He will take the time needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Dr. Caperton has a large Clinic but always remembered who I was and took the time to answer questions candidly. I never felt like he was too busy to answer my questions—no matter how small or silly the question seemed. His staff is the same way—very caring and helpful. They are very invested in helping you achieve your goals.
Describe the protocols Lee Caperton used in your cycles at Caperton Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
I first decided to start with trying IUI using donor sperm. Dr. Caperton suggested this approach as it was the least invasive and least expensive. These cycles involved using Clomid because I have PCOS. The first two cycles produced no pregnancies. The third cycle produced a pregnancy which I carried to full-term. He caught a thyroid problem very early on and remedied it which I was extremely grateful for. After that, I tried 7-8 more IUI cycles before deciding to switch to IVF. He was willing to let me continue with IUIs but I decided that if I was going to keep spending all that money, I might as well go the IVF route with hopefully better chances of success. I completed one IVF egg retrieval cycle which produced 20 eggs. 5 of those made it to the embryo stage and were genetically sound. The genetic testing done gave us information about the quality of the embryos but also the gender of each embryo. I completed one frozen transfer with one embryo which produced a negative pregnancy test. Next frozen embryo transfer cycle I chose to put 2 embryos in. Because of a uterine anomaly I have he was more Inclined to take a conservative approach and only put one embryo in, but allowed me to put 2 embryos in explaining the risks. My pregnancy test came back positive this time. I started off with 2 embryos and 2 heartbeats. Around 11 weeks I lost one, but successfully carried the second to full term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Caperton Fertility Institute.
The nursing staff is fantastic. They are friendly, approachable, caring, and knowledgeable. I felt like they became my cheerleaders and support system through this process. They answered any questions I had or were able to find the answers for me. They were always very supportive and positive—even when I sometimes was not optimistic. They were genuinely excited for my successes as if we were friends instead of in a professional relationship capacity.
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
I have followed Dr. Caperton from his clinic he shared with Dr. Thompson to the new practice, Caperton Fertility, so I can describe both clinics. At the previous Clinic, the location was in the basement of a hospital which was a bit odd. While it felt private it also felt very dark and like a cave, but that did not bother me too much. The new Clinic is state of the art. Lots of windows and light. The lobby and waiting area is designed to make you feel at home, which it definitely accomplishes. It alsmost has a spa-like feel instead of a medical clinic. Now I will tell you that at first these superficial things did not necessarily sway me, as I feel like the doctor and Staff are more important than the shiny Office. But I do think the new Office helps you relax a bit more and decreases some anxiety you may have. All of this to say, don’t let the fancy new Office be a turn off to you. The Clinic is big, but don’t let that scare you away thinking that the doctor won’t have time for you or won’t have time to answer questions. They take as much time as you need and always tell you there is no rush and are available for questions or concerns.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute.
My health insurance does not cover any infertility costs. This meant I was considered “self-pay” and because of that, the Clinic offers you a discount. My IUI cycles ranged from $600-1000 including the IUI transfer, and ultrasound(s)—some of those cycles warranted more than one ultrasound. My IVF retrieval including one transfer, genetic testing, and all required medications cost around $16-18K, with my insurance covering some of the medication cost, and applying for a discounted pharmacy to begin with.
Describe Lee Caperton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Caperton Fertility Institute.
Dr. Caperton takes a more conservative approach. He will likely not be willing to put an excessive amount of embryos in because as he told me they are more interested in success of healthy babies rather than quantity of babies. I appreciate this because in the end you want a healthy baby, not 3 babies who may have health issues, right? He is not closed to hearing your arguments about wanting to put more than one in, just don’t expect him to agree to putting in more than 2-3 depending on your medical situation. I was able to select which embryo(s) to put in. In other words, if you have both male and female embryos you can choose which to put in. This can be disconcerting for some, or exciting that they can predetermine which gender they put in.
2013 - 2018
Dr. Caperton is very knowledgeable, he is very upfront and does not sugar coat anything. He is not the dr that will tell you want to hear, he is very honest....He once called me on a family vacation to give test results.... We began withIUI’s with dr c, once the 4th one didn’t work we had the cold hard truth from him and on to IVF. we had MFI. So he double checked the sperm to ensure we would have enough for IVF. He started us on Lupron and birth control.
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Dr. Caperton is very knowledgeable, he is very upfront and does not sugar coat anything. He is not the dr that will tell you want to hear, he is very honest. All his nursing staff is very sweet and easy to talk to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Be ready for the truth of infertility no matter how hard it is to hear.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
He is very personal with his patients. He cares as does his whole staff. He once called me on a family vacation to give test results.
Describe the protocols Lee Caperton used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico and their degree of success.
We began withIUI’s with dr c, once the 4th one didn’t work we had the cold hard truth from him and on to IVF. we had MFI. So he double checked the sperm to ensure we would have enough for IVF. He started us on Lupron and birth control. We had monitoring appointments and once my body was ready he started me on Follitism and Menopur and began monitoring my follicles. Once the follicles were ready we triggered and had egg retrieval 2 days later. Egg retrieval was quick (it felt like it anyway) everyone was very excited the moment I walked in. He came in after i woke up to give me the number of eggs, and sent me home. I got updates every other day. Once PGS results came in, he called personally while he was on vacation with his family( the results weren’t great). He wanted to personally let me know that only one out of 8 embryos came back normal. We met with him the week after to go over specifics. And set my transfer for November. I began birth control and Lupron. Then began patches a couple weeks before then PIO 5 days before. The nurse showed me exactly how to do each injection. Transfer day came, and again i walked in and everyone was very excited and friendly. The transfer was quick and Dr. C went over every step. Unfortunately the embryo did not take, I was heartbroken but the nurses were very comforting and let me know they were there if I needed anything. I will begin my 2nd IVF hopefully soon once we save money to try again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Vigil)
She is very knowledgeable and so caring, she makes you feel welcome and is always available when you need her!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is like a spa. It is beautiful and very friendly. When you walk in someone is always smiling greeting you! They have water, tea, coffee, snacks as you wait. You sometimes have to wait quite awhile as they are ALWAYS busy. But they always communicate with you as you wait. The nursing staff is AMAZING! They make you feel like family. Dr. C has a great sense of humor, and is very friendly. They are an amazing staff and ensure each of their patients are known and taken care of!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lee Caperton at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
21,000 out of pocket is what was paid just for IVF. I did IUI but it was 3 years prior to IVF
Describe Lee Caperton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Dr C is very adamant (depending on age and quality) of only transferring PGS tested embryos. He only likes to transfer 1 embryo per transfer. But will transfer more if the patient would like.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Albuquerque
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Caperton] has the same mission the patients do and will always be up front and honest with you...I started with Femara and moved on to injectibles with IUI. We had the donor discussion from the start due to my age, but we were not ready to go there. We moved on to IVF but never made it to retrieval due to poor response. I tried IVF with lupron, lupron flare and Estrogen priming. All resulted in one or two eggs. We did not proceed with retrieval due to the concerns of chromosomal abnormalities. After the third try that had same results we decided to really look into a donor and I was tired and just ready to give up.
European, Latino
Dr. Caperton was honest with my partner and I from the start about the challenges we faced because of my age. I was just about to turn 41 years old when I started treatment after having two back to back miscarriages. We started slowly with minimal treatment because that was my preference and then moved to IUI and finally IVF. After 3 failed IVF's that never made it to retrieval because of my poor ovarian reserve I somehow became pregnant at the age of 42. I am now in my second trimester with a healthy baby girl. My partner and I were grateful that when things did not work out in one cycle he always had a plan for the next. He was very honest with me about my situation, and at times I wish he was a little more optimistic and that I could actually get through without a donor. The very day we contacted a donor I was interested in was also the day I found out I was pregnant. By that time I had very little hope that I could ever conceive with my own eggs, but I did! I know I am an exception and a lot of women are not as lucky as we are. I appreciate all of the care I received from him and I am also an aunt to twin nieces that are from the help of Dr. Caperton. He is a great doctor and I knew I was always in the very best hands.
Never give up! He has the same mission the patients do and will always be up front and honest with you.
The staff at Caperton Fertility were wonderful and very supportive of our journey to conceive.
I started with Femara and moved on to injectibles with IUI. We had the donor discussion from the start due to my age, but we were not ready to go there. We moved on to IVF but never made it to retrieval due to poor response. I tried IVF with lupron, lupron flare and Estrogen priming. All resulted in one or two eggs. We did not proceed with retrieval due to the concerns of chromosomal abnormalities. After the third try that had same results we decided to really look into a donor and I was tired and just ready to give up. We conceived naturally and I am now in my second trimester at 42 years old with a healthy baby girl.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
Rachel, Chrissy and Ashley were wonderful and I was sad to say goodbye to them. They were simply incredible and I cherish each of them.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
I loved the staff. I spent a lot of time there to say the least and they were always very welcoming. The office was beautiful and clean and I never had to wait long. They also provided early morning appointments which really helped our own hectic schedule.
Over $20,000
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
What I appreciated most about Caperton was his commitment to making scientifically informed decisions. He seemed up to date on the research, and would often talk us through the pros and cons of things like endometrial scratching, and then make the case for why he thought it was the best course of action. He ultimately left these choices up to us, but wasn't shy about making a strong argument for what he felt was the scientifically backed choice. This made us feel both informed and empowered. Though the vast majority of my interactions with Caperton were overwhelmingly positive, I think he could improve in his ability to empathize with the emotional side of the infertility. On one occasion, I became tearful during an appointment and he made what I know was a well intentioned but poorly timed comment about their clinic providing mental health and counseling referrals. What I needed was a "there, there, it'll be okay," not a referral to a counselor, but I appreciate that he was willing to acknowledge my emotions and attempted to point me toward a resource that he thought could help.
Count on Caperton for research backed, thoughtfully applied procedures. Count on his amazing nursing team for moral support.
I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff at Caperton's office. They always made us feel welcomed, heard, and understood. Though Caperton isn't a warm and fuzzy guy, I appreciated his matter-of-fact, let's-get-this-done, no-nonsense attitude. He has an almost laid back way of carrying himself that I actually found quite comforting; it sort of balanced all the anxiety I often had churning inside me.
We had a progressively more involved and more expensive experience, building from clomid alone to clomid plus IUI to clomid plus sperm washing plus IUI and eventually to IVF. At every step of the way Caperton was straight forward about the likely success rates of each procedure, and he never dawdled repeating failed procedures that he felt were unlikely to yield new results. This approach left us feeling like he respected our time, money, and the emotional energy we were putting into the whole endeavor. I never felt like he was winging it.
I absolutely loved working with the nursing staff at Caperton's office. My husband and I are busy people and we initially struggled a bit to keep track of all the procedures and things we had to do at home. We'd have a conversation with the nurse, I'd take crumby stress-garbled notes, and then go home and second guess what I had to do. The nursing staff immediately noticed we needed a little extra handholding in this department, and took the time to give us a very detailed write up and calendar at all our subsequent visits. Ashley walked us through each step with the utmost patience and understanding.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is spacious and inviting, with lots of little spaces for private meetings outside of the exam rooms. The waiting area is very comfortable and has a large TV. Do you like HGTV? I hope so, because you'll be watching a lot of it as you chub water to fill your bladder for that ultrasound.
When it was all said and done, we spent around $30,000.
Caperton is a strong advocate for single embryo transfers (and his high success rates back this preference). We were on board with the single transfer, but if you strongly felt that you wanted to transfer more than one embryo, it might be a hard sell.
Endometriosis, PCOS
He is very confident which put us at ease when it came to procedure time and what steps to move forward.... Diagnosed with PCOS and endo, along with ITP. Trying to conceive for 5 years and not a single positive. After lots of tests we jumped into ivf since it would be near impossible getting pregnant any other way.... Dr. Caperton only does frozen transfers of one embryo.... Dr. Caperton recommended a 3 month lupron depot treatment for my endometriosis so that’s what we did.
Endometriosis, PCOS
As soon as Dr. Caperton heard our story at the consultation, he dove right in and for the first time ever my husband and I felt taken care of. That someone actually cares and is going to help us get pregnant. He is very confident which put us at ease when it came to procedure time and what steps to move forward. He makes the money regardless if the treatments work or not, but you don’t feel that AT ALL. He makes it his personal mission to get you pregnant, and stay pregnant, and you can tell it’s upsetting to him if it doesn’t work. I fully trust him and his direction.
Trust him. He isn’t going to sugar coat things and may be a little blunt, but he knows what he’s doing and he cares!
Dr. Caperton has personally reached out to me, as well as than the nurses, with embryo updates and just checking in when times were tough. My husband and I can sense how much he cares every time we see him.
Diagnosed with PCOS and endo, along with ITP. Trying to conceive for 5 years and not a single positive. After lots of tests we jumped into ivf since it would be near impossible getting pregnant any other way. I can’t recall exact medications and dosages, but I do know it took a few days longer than the planned egg retrieval date due to my PCOS. Lots of follicles just not very big. After the right about of meds they got to the right size! Dr. Caperton retrieved over 50 eggs. Of that amount 37 were mature. I think we chose 12 eggs to fertilize, and of the 12, 10 made it to day 5. After PGS testing 5 embryos came back viable. Dr. Caperton only does frozen transfers of one embryo. First transfer took but I miscarried early on. Jumped into meds for second transfer. Got some positive blood draws for hcg but quickly went down, chemical pregnancy. Dr. Caperton recommended a 3 month lupron depot treatment for my endometriosis so that’s what we did. Except it didn’t work. He actually found polyps in the uterus he needed to remove. But we are moving forward with our third transfer which is in 4 days. We are transferring two good quality embryos and hoping that this is our time!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Ashley )
Ashley is simply amazing. She is just so very kind and compassionate and makes me feel at complete ease. I can’t imagine working with women who experience their highest highs and their lowest lows, but she handles it with such grace and she gives me so much hope. Love her!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Caperton Fertility does an excellent job of making you feel welcome. It’s a very unnerving and emotional time but they make it easier. They are all so kind. One weakness I’ve noticed is communicating the financial side. A print out including what is due and what it all includes would be awesome. There have been a few times I received a bill that I was unaware of.
I think for the initial ivf cycle which included egg retrieval and FET, it was around $14K, then PGS testing was about $3K. Meds were around $2K.
Dr. Caperton is very strict about only transferring one! And I agreed with him completely. He explained why and it made perfect sense. After everything we went through he suggested transferring two for this transfer and we are doing it. Very grateful.. I feel there is a better chance of at least one implanting and sticking around!
2012 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
...Dr Caperton has worked with several other doctors and labs to help find the right process for us. He has recommended several things particularly in our case because of our situation. He has given our case the extra attention it has needed and shows interest in us and how our ivf has impacted our lives. He is smart, funny and an excellent physician. He is constantly reading and doing research in his field and adjusting treatment of his patients accordingly...
2012 - 2016
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
We are an unusual case in that my husband had childhood cancer and Dr Caperton has worked with several other doctors and labs to help find the right process for us. He has recommended several things particularly in our case because of our situation. He has given our case the extra attention it has needed and shows interest in us and how our ivf has impacted our lives. He is smart, funny and an excellent physician. He is constantly reading and doing research in his field and adjusting treatment of his patients accordingly. He just built a state of art office and lab and recruited top talent for the new facility. He helped Pioneer the process of vitrification of embryos to improve success in storage, thawing and survival of stored embryos. We live 6 hours away from the CFI so Dr Caperton constantly is making efforts to limit our need for unnecessary trips. We have spent many hours(many after business hours) on the phone to save us travel time. I have his cell phone number and he answers my calls and texts quickly and is kind and compassionate as well as effective and straightforward. He helped us find a fantastic place for dinner when we were staying in Albuquerque during an egg retrieval monitoring trip that included my husband's birthday. He's also given us a large discount as returning patients that have not been able to complete an embryo transfer yet. I got the stomach flu days after an egg retrieval and when we called him, at 9 at night, he gave my situation great attention and walked my husband through taking some of my vitals to assess my situation from 6 hours away. He told us what we needed to do, go get an IV for dehydration, how to communicate that to our local physicians.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He and his staff seem busy and are, but they always find time to answer your questions, often even after business hours
We are an unusual case in that my husband had childhood cancer and Dr Caperton has worked with several other doctors and labs to help find the right process for us. We live 6 hours away from the CFI so Dr Caperton constantly is making efforts to limit our need for unnecessary trips. We have spent many hours(many after business hours) on the phone to save us travel time. I have his cell phone number and he answers my calls and texts quickly and is kind and compassionate as well as effective and straightforward. He helped us find a fantastic place for dinner when we were staying in Albuquerque during an egg retrieval monitoring trip that included my husband's birthday. He's also given us a large discount as returning patients that have not been able to complete an embryo transfer yet. Most of all I got the stomach flu days after an egg retrieval and when we called him, at 9 at night, he gave my situation great attention and walked my husband through taking some of my vitals to assess my situation from 6 hours away. He told us what we needed to do, go get an IV for dehydration, how to communicate that to our local physicians.
We started undergoing ivf from the start because the only way to get sperm from my husband is surgically due to his childhood cancer. Thus we started with sort of a clean slate. Our first ivf protocol was a typical lupron cycle with menopur and follistem. We retrieved 21 eggs but only 1 embryo survived to day 5 to be biopsied for pre-genetic screening. It was abnormal. After our unexpected poor results, he changed my meds to a ganarelix cycle with lower doses of menopur and follistem to achieve a slower growth rate in the eggs. We then got 18 eggs, a higher percentage was mature and 3 embryos made it to day 5/6 biopsy. One came back indeterminate and two were again abnormal. After several hours together on the phone and being cognizant of the emotional and stressful side effects I was experiencing, Dr Caperton suggested we wait to do another cycle until his new office and lab was ready and suggested I should restart taking a mild antidepressants. I was concerned with side-effects of the citalopram to an embro or fetus and he and I decided the stress was just as bad for our egg and embryo development. We are going to stop taking the antidepressant before our FET later this year. The new cycle we just completed two weeks ago included ganarelix, gonal F due to a supply issue with follistem, menopur and letrozole with a good prenatal and DHEA supplement (something he had been reading articles about). This was all in hopes of improving our egg quality as our sperm was already disadvantaged from being strategically retrieved and from a cancer survivor treated with chemo and radiation. We got 27 eggs, 22 were mature and 14 fertilized. 6 survived to be biopsied and vitrified in addition to a thaw and rebiopsy of the indeterminate one from last time. The embryologist called today and 3 were genetically normal! Getting scheduled for a transfer later this year.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Sabrina )
Amazing, kind, skilled, helpful, compassionate, friendly and intelligent.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The new facility and technology is fantastic. It is comfortable, clean, modern and easy to find. They are just getting going though, opened July 1st, so please be patient as they are getting all the office routines figured out. The lab has been tested and they did some runs with mouse embryos before using everything for the first time on human eggs, sperm and embryos. The medicine of the office is efficient and well run. We were much more pleased with the new office than the set up with the old one.
$14000ish global fee as needed patients , no insurance coverage, then $10,000 for existing patients
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Very knowledgeable but has a demenure that can appear cocky.... Often felt like there was not good explination or rushed visits without clear indication of next steps. A lot of visits told need to loose weight before treatment. Then would try weightloss and so much time passes he [Dr. Caperton] would want to start process all over again with preliminary testing... Clomid then suggested IVF. Negative results on clomid.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Lee Caperton at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Very knowledgeable but has a demenure that can appear cocky. Seemed like the clinic is after high priced treatment. Often felt like there was not good explination or rushed visits without clear indication of next steps. A lot of visits told need to loose weight before treatment. Then would try weightloss and so much time passes he would want to start process all over again with preliminary testing
Be prepared with the questions beforehand that you want to ask and ask for clarification on things you dont understand before he leaves the exam room. Be your own advocate and be clear about the treatment method you want
Did not feel like interactions were personable. And seemed like there is a lack of compassion. Felt like high priced treatment is suggested first.
Clomid then suggested IVF. Negative results on clomid.
Great
Describe your experience with Caperton Fertility Institute.
This review is for Dr. Capertons new clinic since Reproductive Med of NM has closed Weakness is making some patients not feel like there is compassion for their situation. And they seem to charge more if you have insurance than if you were paying out of pocket. Strength is that Dr. Caperton is knowledgeable
Used insurance however if I didnt have would have been at least $10,000 paid so far and have not had iui or ivf yet...
What specific things went wrong at Caperton Fertility Institute?
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Kind, personable. He [Dr. Caperton] puts you at ease by being silly and easy going. I wish he had more time after appointments to discuss results, next steps, etc. Its hard to ask questions/express concerns when you're half naked, laying on a table.... After diagnostics he prescribed 2.5mg letrozole for cycle days 5-9. I do not have any issues ovulating so no trigger shot was needed. The letrozole was just to help follicle production and to potentially shift ovulation towards the middle of the cycle instead of too late. We have male factor infertility so the iui was to help with that and my low cervical fluid.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
Kind, personable. He puts you at ease by being silly and easy going. I wish he had more time after appointments to discuss results, next steps, etc. Its hard to ask questions/express concerns when you're half naked, laying on a table.
Do your research on procedures, risks, diagnoses before appointments, don't rely on the doctor to walk you through it.
Caring staff
Personable, knowledgeable, kind. Highly organized caring staff with excellent teamwork.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Great location and interior. Appears clean professional and welcoming. Great acess to bathrooms and waiting room is comfortable and welcoming. Sometimes can be cold, wear a jacket and socks to procedures. Easy to schedule appointments and have questions answered.
Diagnostic testing was covered by insurance 70%. My 30% for hysteroscopy was $190, for hsg $320. IUI was not covered but they gave a 25% discount. We paid $560. Appears to be cheaper than national averages of procedures.
Albuquerque
I did not have much interaction with him except for the introduction appointment. He seems to be very direct and straightforward. I have mostly worked with and been seen by the nurses and assistants and PA.... There has not been a specific strategy this far. I have mostly been in charge of my own treatment and scheduling.... I feel that IVF is encouraged more than other forms of fertility treatments, but they [Ctr for Repro Med of NM] are still very capable and willing to perform other treatments as requested or discussed.
European, Latino
It may be helpful to do some research on your own of options other than IVF prior to seeing Dr. Lee Caperton.
The staff is all very personable. I feel that IVF is encouraged more than other forms of fertility treatments, but they are still very capable and willing to perform other treatments as requested or discussed. Not much actual interaction with Lee Caperton since the first consultation visit, mainly nurses and assistants.
I have worked with the nursing staff the majority of the time. They have been helpful and compassionate. It would be more helpful if I were assigned to one go-to nurse, but it is usually whomever is available or working that day.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is clean and very esthetically pleasing. The staff is generally friendly on the phone and in person. The main critique is that it would be better if there were one coordinator or nurse assigned to each patient who is directly involved in the specific patient's treatment so that there is less confusion on treatment or next steps. Otherwise, they all work together well to get a patient in and treatment completed.
IUI is about $700 per treatment. IVF is about $20,000.
I do not have experience with embryo transfer, but according to Dr. Caperton, they only do single embryo transfers so as not to end up with multiples. I think this is a good approach.
2012
We are a family where one partner is transgender. Dr. Caperton asked questions about genitals, surgery, and our sex life that had nothing to do with the procedure or care we were seeking. He could tell we were uncomfortable and we even told him it was none of his business, but he still continued to pry. He needs serious education about the LGBT community and respect...Dr. Caperton was completely unprofessional. He asked questions that were wildly inappropriate that had nothing to do with our procedures or situation. His inappropriate questions were due to his own curiosity and when we appeared uncomfortable or avoided these questions he would keep pressing for answers.
2012
He asks completely inappropriate questions out of curiosity and is arrogant. He seems to think he is doing people a favor with his "gifts" rather than helping families bring children in to the world. He disgusts me.
Don't go to him, there are other choices for care in Albuquerque.
Dr. Caperton was completely unprofessional. He asked questions that were wildly inappropriate that had nothing to do with our procedures or situation. His inappropriate questions were due to his own curiosity and when we appeared uncomfortable or avoided these questions he would keep pressing for answers. We are a family where one partner is transgender. Dr. Caperton asked questions about genitals, surgery, and our sex life that had nothing to do with the procedure or care we were seeking. He could tell we were uncomfortable and we even told him it was none of his business, but he still continued to pry. He needs serious education about the LGBT community and respect. I would not recommend him to my worst enemy. We ended up going to the clinic manager to request a transfer to the other Dr. After the first visit.
The nursing staff was wonderful.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is great, besides Dr. Caperton.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Caperton] is very good at creating an individualized plan and if something isn't working he is cautiously blunt and tells all the risks and what his expert opinion on next steps would be. I felt comfortable telling him what my main concerns were and he always addressed them in a timely manner.... He is a great doctor and typically communicates well... after two low quality retrievals we did a much more expensive hgh protocol which worked a lot better
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
He is very good at creating an individualized plan and if something isn't working he is cautiously blunt and tells all the risks and what his expert opinion on next steps would be. I felt comfortable telling him what my main concerns were and he always addressed them in a timely manner.
He is a great doctor and typically communicates well, just ensure that if you don't fully understand don't be scared to ask questions
The staff is so caring and understanding, makes me feel very welcomed
Initial protocol was a lot more meds than the second protocol and after two low quality retrievals we did a much more expensive hgh protocol which worked a lot better due to my egg quality not being so great
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
All very caring and compassionate. Very happy and upbeat
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
It's very clean and homey.. very comfortable feeling Only downside is there is a kids area which after going through this struggle is sometimes hard to see children around, but also can be a promising sign.
Genetic testing $2300
Success rate is higher with single embryo transfer is what I've been told
2012 - 2014
Dr. Caperton was always nice but after our 3 years under his care we don't think he did the best for us. I did 2 full IVF cycles, 3 transfers with negative results. I wish I had more information from the very beginning.
2012 - 2014
Look for another clinic out of state.
Dr. Caperton and the nurses were always nice and compassionate while we were their patients, some appointments (mostly follow ups) it seems that he was rushing to get us out of his office.
He used antagonist and agonists protocols, I don't remember the espeficifcs but I remember being on a high dose of Follistim and Menopour with a dosage of Lupron before I started the cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Sheila and Mayra)
All the staff there is really good, everyone knows what are they doing.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
I'm not sure what to say, the clinic is small, is on the S 1 level of Presbyterian Hospital, they use the hospital operating room, radiology, etc.
I don't remember the exact amount but it was around $20,000 per cycle plus medicine and PGS testing.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. Caperton was articulate and forthright about the plan and likelihood of success and was very willing to address all of my concerns. He was warm and knowledgable in his specialty and he was able to quick diagnose my PCOS when I had 12 years of OB/GYNs who didn't diagnose me...
Endometriosis, PCOS
Everyone at the clinic was warm and remembered me. I had one nurse the was my primary contact and was present for most of my appointments.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
They were on time, courteous, and excellent about getting my phone calls addressed efficiently.
I had insurance that covered some of the cost so I believe the cost for me per cycle was about $250 for IUI with trigger shot.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Caperton is very smart and attentive. He also knows that he is good at his job and can come off cocky sometimes. He has genuine excitement for assisting to build families. He gave us multiple visits to discuss our questions and concerns before deciding our treatment.... He gave his cell and always remembered random bits about our lives.... He strongly encouraged single embryo transfer.
PCOS, Unexplained
Use all the time you need for questions. Even book more meetings to discuss.
He gave his cell and always remembered random bits about our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Rachel PA)
Nursing staff was always easy to get along with. Rachel the PA is completely amazing! She communicated quickly and with such kindness and care!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
This clinic has a great team of caring individuals. They communicate clearly and don’t seem busy even though they are. They are timely and communicate clearly about any delays. We have never had any concerns about the clinic and highly reccomend them.
He strongly encouraged single embryo transfer.