Medical SchoolU. of Massachusetts
732-220-9060
3379 Quakerbridge Road
Hamilton, NJ 08619
609-799-5666
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Leo Doherty to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New Jersey to a friend?
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
On my first day he [Dr. Doherty] sat me down and did a detailed history. I thought I was prepared had all my background and thoughts written down but he didn’t went deeper than that and I was shocked I forgot important stuff. Luckily I wasn’t on my 3rd cycle day so he set me up right there with all the testing I needed and performed the ultrasound. He talked to me about what he found what he expects and what will happen after all the initial tests come back.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
On my first day he sat me down and did a detailed history. I thought I was prepared had all my background and thoughts written down but he didn’t went deeper than that and I was shocked I forgot important stuff. Luckily I wasn’t on my 3rd cycle day so he set me up right there with all the testing I needed and performed the ultrasound. He talked to me about what he found what he expects and what will happen after all the initial tests come back. I am high risk because of my age and medicine I am on so he referred me to a MFM doctor who he personally worked with to help with the process. He is thorough and realistic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Come in with an open mind and any question you may have he will more than willing to answer and work with it
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Doctor Doherty speaks in a very professional yet soft tone. His bedside manner is one of the best I have ever had with any doctor. He explains everything and makes you feel comfortable. Any concerns he is willing to answer questions. I have had a few concerns since starting and with some of the tests and his office and nurse are on top of getting back to me. I am looking forward to working with him More and confident he will accomplish what may be the impossible. He is realistic and smart and straight to the point I wouldn’t want it any other way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Kristie Mullen )
She is wonderful she always gets back to me immediately when I need something if she is off he colleague answers. She helped me after a procedure I had and had some Pain and issues and had me come in right away to be examined. She walked me through the whole process and answers all my questions. She is soft spoken and compassionate
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Clinic is nice the front desk staff I feel are too chatty especially about other patients information when people are in the waiting room and they whisper and act inappropriately sometimes it’s very uncomfortable and awkward especially when you’re waiting a while to be seen. Clinic is set up nice reminds me of a bee hive very big and spacious
Describe the costs associated with your care under Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey.
My insurance pretty good we pay our copays and as far as pricing we were told around $3600 IUI and >$20k for IVF. Finance did call and go over everything with us
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Doherty is one of the best doctors I have ever had. I knew that I had found the right doctor after our initial consultation when he spent close to an hour walking me and my husband through the process of IVF from start to finish and answering all of our questions. Since then I have had several appointments and phone conversations with Dr. Doherty and he always takes the time to answer all of my questions without making me feel rushed. Dealing with an infertility diagnosis can be very stressful and overwhelming but Dr. Doherty made it much easier through his compassion and calming demeanor. It is clear that he cares about all of his patients and genuinely wants to help them succeed. For example, after learning that I had limited insurance coverage, he immediately helped me to get into programs that would cover part of my treatment.
Describe the protocols Leo Doherty used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol with a Lupron trigger as I was at risk for OHSS
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer is caring and very organized. I feel comfortable reaching out to her with any questions that I have and she always returns my calls or emails promptly. After learning about my negative pregnancy test, she called me just to see how I was doing.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths: Almost every member of RMA's staff that I have encountered are super friendly and knowledgeable. They are a well-oiled machine and able to get you started on your treatment plan quickly. Weakness: They are a very large practice and you won't always see your primary doctor at every visit. The morning monitoring hours are great and usually move quickly but there were a couple times when I had to wait 20+ minutes for an ultrasound.
~$12,000 (one cycle of IVF with ICSI and one FET)
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Doherty always took the time to speak with me. Ask me how I was doing, discuss any/all symptoms/questions/concerns! I felt like he truly cared!...I was given pretty horrific news before I came to see Dr. Doherty...There was something about how he went over my options that made me feel optimistic for the first time since I got my devastating news. He made no promises but he made me feel like there were lots of options and definitely gave me that hope that I needed. He made me feel like he cared and would be there with me thru my journey.
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
I was given pretty horrific news before I came to see Dr. Doherty. I was in a place with no hope - but just going thru the motions. I had seen a couple doctors prior to Dr. Doherty and still felt like there wasn't much hope. When I came to Dr. Doherty, he was somewhat new to the practice and I didn't have much expectations. But even on that first visit, I felt like he gave me so much hope. There was something about how he went over my options that made me feel optimistic for the first time since I got my devastating news. He made no promises but he made me feel like there were lots of options and definitely gave me that hope that I needed. He made me feel like he cared and would be there with me thru my journey. He is so kind and always has a smile. I can't really put it into words - but his characteristics are not something that you learn, it's something you ARE. I would highly recommend him to anyone and everyone! I honestly just LOVED him!!! I am pregnant with my 1st and know that I will be going back to him when we are ready for our 2nd!
Be open - things may not always happen exactly as and when you expect, but Dr. Doherty and the RMA team never quits!
I was diagnosed with POI, so we always knew that I would need to use a egg donor. Dr. Doherty went thru the whole process with me and gave me more than enough time to think it thru. I decided to use one of RMA's egg donor and my nurse would follow up with me to see when I would want to be put on the list. We took our time just because wee were still hoping that we would somehow naturally conceive but we gave ourselves a deadline. Then we decided to move forward. Once we were on the list, we were matched quite quickly. They did have me complete a "test cycle" prior to starting the journey just to make sure that I would be able to get a embryo transfer. They noted that I also had a polyp at that time. Once I was matched, my nurse kept in constant contact with me, reminding me on my meds, appts and everything in between - she was AMAZING as well! I was pretty delinquent about my appts at first, but she would just follow up and make adjustments accordingly. I only had to have 1 cycle, but they were so helpful. I just couldn't have asked for a better team.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Samantha Columbo and Patrice)
My nurses were so organized, always available and I do not know how they kept up with each appointment and procedure that I had to get done. She always made sure to have appointments set up - she was amazing!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA Somerset is very organized. They have great hours and are pretty good about being flexible. They are very knowledgeable and I feel like they are just a well-oiled machine with amazing people that work there!
I had to go thru egg donor and embryo transfer - the total cost was about 25K or more.
Describe Leo Doherty's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Doherty said he would support our decision either way but said that he would recommend a single embryo transfer. He showed me some research regarding the risks of a single vs multiple embryo transfer. But let me make the ultimate decision and we did decide to go with a single embryo transfer.
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
I really have no complaints about Dr. Doherty. When we disagreed with each other on the donor sperm issue, he reminded me that he was trying to give me the best chance to have a baby. Luckily our intuitions were right and we didn't need donor sperm but I did like the fact that Dr. Doherty reminded jus of our options. He was always supportive and assisted with any issue I had. He even helped with the issues I had with my insurance company. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor. He's the reason our miracle baby is here today.
Always stand your ground and be vocal about what you want. Never hesitate to ask Dr. Doherty for advice. He will take care of you.
Dr. Doherty took the time to get to know our specific situation. He understood that we had a male infertility issue and helped us figure out the best course of action to have our baby. Even though we did disagree on things such as having donor sperm as a back up, he really made us feel good about our situation. I'm thrilled we chose him as our doctor and I look forward to trying for our second child soon.
My protocol was very simple. Gonal-f, menopur, cetrotide, trigger, and estradiol. They increased it accordingly. I luckily have a surplus of follicles so stimming was quite easy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Canada)
My Nurse was Nancy, who is no longer a full time Nurse at RMA. She was absolutely wonderful. She was thorough, caring, compassionate and on top of her game. I never had to wonder about any testing, appointments or medications. She was always available to answer any questions I had or help me with a problem. As an example, the day before my retrieval, there were some issues thatthe finance office hadn't handled properly and she made sure that everything was taken care of so that we wouldn't have to worry. I'm sad I won't have her as my nurse when we try for our next baby.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I used the Freehold and Eatontown offices for monitoring and honestly have no complaints. Every time was simple and thorough. The staff become more like family to you since you see them so much, or at least that was my experience. The day my positive beta came in, everyone in the office was thrilled for us. It really was great to have all the support from not only your doctor and nurse but every member of the office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Monitoring was convenient for me because I work in Freehold. The wait was never insanely long. Even when every seat was filled in the office, they moved everyone swiftly. No complaints at all.
Luckily my insurance covered portions of the IVF costs but there are other components that aren't covered. They would be the genetic testing which was $4,000, the medications which totaled $4000 and the acupuncture which was $200. The out of pocket costs are quite extreme especially since even with insurance coverage, there are many parts which aren't covered. My insurance only covers one procedure every 24 months, so if a cycle fails, then everything will then be out of pocket. There is also the storage fee for sperm and embryos which is $1,200 per year for each.
He was very supportive of only one embryo transfer at a time. Especially due to my age, that worked best for us and got us our miracle baby.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
...After the D&C, testing showed an unbalanced translocation. Since that was my third loss, Dr. Doherty wasted no time and had a karyotype done on us and found that I have a balanced translocation. With that, as relieved as I was to have an answer, I was terrified it was the end of the road for us. Dr. Doherty explained what this meant for us with compassion and was hopeful that with lots of eggs to work with and testing of our embryos, we would get pregnant with a healthy baby. We got ready for another retrieval and were again successful with 45 eggs retrieved this time! Six made it to testing and two were normal. I was again, grate
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
From our first meeting with Dr. Doherty we knew we were at the right place with the right doctor. He listened to our concerns and fears and answered all of our questions honestly and professionally. He set up a game plan that we were comfortable with and took it on with confidence. Our first retrieval was successful with 32 eggs retrieved and 3 embryos to freeze. I was thankful to have Dr. Doherty perform my transfer and was ecstatic to get the call from him saying I was pregnant! Unfortunately, at my 6 week ultrasound Dr. Doherty cautioned us that the baby's heartbeat was a bit slow. We came back two days later to find out it was barely there and the growth had stopped. We went back two days after that and saw Dr. Yi for the ultrasound which showed the faintest of heartbeats. Dr. Doherty personally called us that evening to see how we were holding up. That phone call meant the world to us. After the D&C, testing showed an unbalanced translocation. Since that was my third loss, Dr. Doherty wasted no time and had a karyotype done on us and found that I have a balanced translocation. With that, as relieved as I was to have an answer, I was terrified it was the end of the road for us. Dr. Doherty explained what this meant for us with compassion and was hopeful that with lots of eggs to work with and testing of our embryos, we would get pregnant with a healthy baby. We got ready for another retrieval and were again successful with 45 eggs retrieved this time! Six made it to testing and two were normal. I was again, grateful to have Dr. Doherty perform my second transfer which resulted in a positive pregnancy test! I was terrified that each ultrasound would bring bad news. Dr. Doherty comforted our fears and really helped us get through those first weeks without going insane. If I had a question, he answered it. If I had a concern, he addressed it. It was so bittersweet when we graduated from RMA and Dr. Doherty's care. Happy we made it this far, sad to leave Dr. Doherty and the RMA family that we had come to love.
His calm and optimistic demeanor will get you through the good and the bad. Trust him!
Dr. Doherty always took the time to answer the MANY questions we had and he always did it with a smile. He is kind, caring, patient, and professional. Dr. Doherty made us feel like we were the only patients under his care and went above and beyond every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Graeve)
Jennifer is THE best! She is calm and caring and on top of things. Jenn would call when she knew I was able to talk (I'm a teacher) and explained everything thoroughly every time. She answered ALL of my questions and calmed my fears when I lost it emotionally. Jennifer became part of my life and I looked forward to talking to her each day. She would even call in between procedures while we were waiting for results just to check in and say hello. She invested herself into our case and called on her day off to congratulate us. I will keep in touch with Jennifer- I love her!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Every staff member at RMANJ that I have come in contact with from the receptionists to the nurses to the financial coordinator have been fantastic to deal with. Smiles in the morning, friendly conversations, and personal attention throughout our journey will always be remembered. It is a large practice, but each person on the team always treated us with care and compassion.
It was a well-oiled machine and did not interfere with work or my day.
We were extremely lucky to have mostly everything covered by insurance. We only paid out of pocket for ultrasound co-pays, cryopreservation, PGD/CCS testing, and acupuncture before and after transfer.
I was sure that transferring two embryos would give us the best odds. Dr. Doherty explained in detail the benefits of eSET with my age and BT. We are so glad we took his advice and transferred one embryo.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Doherty] and his assistants were always very responsive to all our phone and email questions, getting back to us often within an hour or two if during business hours or immediately the next morning if it was a non-urgent request in the evening. We had to undergo several procedures and each time Dr. Doherty described the procedures in detail as well as the impact to our timeline. Since Dr. Doherty is part of a larger practice (RMA), we did not see him every time at the Hamilton office. Instead we saw other doctors part of the practice for bloodwork and ultrasounds. However, we were OK with that because we didn't have any issues with any of the other doctors. In addition, if Dr. Doherty felt that it was important to meet us in person for a particular discussion, he would request that and we would see him directly...
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Doherty has incredible "bedside manner" and is able to communicate down to the individual detail but with a very compassionate tone. He and his assistants were always very responsive to all our phone and email questions, getting back to us often within an hour or two if during business hours or immediately the next morning if it was a non-urgent request in the evening. We had to undergo several procedures and each time Dr. Doherty described the procedures in detail as well as the impact to our timeline. Since Dr. Doherty is part of a larger practice (RMA), we did not see him every time at the Hamilton office. Instead we saw other doctors part of the practice for bloodwork and ultrasounds. However, we were OK with that because we didn't have any issues with any of the other doctors. In addition, if Dr. Doherty felt that it was important to meet us in person for a particular discussion, he would request that and we would see him directly. Dr. Doherty was orders of magnitude better than our first doctor we saw at a different practice.
Keep in mind RMA is distributed across multiple sites and you may not always see Dr. Doherty if you are at a satellite location. For us this wasn't an issue because Dr. Doherty was always very aware of our latest bloodwork and ultrasound and we were able to communicate often over email and phone.
For us, Dr. Doherty started right on IVF preparation because we had multiple failed IUI cycles and a failed IVF cycle with another practice. We appreciated that he listed to our current state and was willing to pick up with the other practice left off. He also performed surgery twice to remove fibroids prior to the egg retrieval/transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Marissa DiGiacomo)
Marissa has been amazing! Despite the size of RMA, we really do feel Marissa is our personal nurse and that she is 100% focused on only us. She shows great compassion towards our concerns and anxiety. She responds by email (our preferred method) often within an hour or two. She is always available for questions during bloodwork/ultrasound visits. She even spent 30 minutes teaching us how to perform the progesterone injections. We couldn't ask for a better nurse.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths: Their stats are strong for our demographic. They seem to have the latest technologies and some of the best surgeons on the team. They are great with phone, email, and in-person communication. We never need to wait more than 10 minutes during morning checkups. They have multiple offices making it convenient for our work commute. We haven't had a poor experience with a doctor yet and we've seen at least 5 of them. Weaknesses: Some may feel it's too large. It's several doctors and several offices. However, the relationship we built with Dr. Doherty and the nurse (Marissa) make it feel like a small practice where we get a lot of attention.
The majority of our costs were covered by insurance except for the genetic counseling and genetic testing. We visited the dietian (covered), a genetic counselor ($100ish?), did laser accupuncture before/after a transfer ($200), and did the genetic testing ($2000ish?)
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
...Dr. Doherty always returned our phone calls...His confidence and compassion were evident. He always had a plan for us and always did what was in our best interest. He always listened to our fears and calmed them. He always answered our questions. He celebrated with us during the good times and consoled us during the bad times...We always felt like he was on our side...
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
From the day we met Dr. Doherty during our initial consultation in February 2014, we knew our dreams of starting of family would come true. His confidence and compassion were evident. He always had a plan for us and always did what was in our best interest. He always listened to our fears and calmed them. He always answered our questions. He celebrated with us during the good times and consoled us during the bad times. When our daughter was born in June 2016, we couldn't wait to share the news with him and then introduce our daughter to him. He will always have a special place in our hearts. When we were finally released from his care to continue our OB , we were sad to leave such an amazing physician and wished he could have care for us for our entire pregnancy.
Trust that Dr. Doherty will always do what is best for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Doherty was always very open and honest with us. We always felt like he was on our side. If we called the office with any concerns or questions , Dr. Doherty always returned our phone calls. He always had a way of calming our fears and wasting our pain
First we did 3 IUI cycles using clomid. Our first IUI resulted in a pregnancy which turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Dr. Doherty monitored me very closely when he suspected ectopic pregnancy and discussed best management which was methotrexate. He explained all the risks and benefits before administering medications. 2 days after receiving medication , I walked into office bc I wasn't feeling well and Dr. Doherty determined that I needed surgery for removal of the ectopic pregnancy . He called the day after he performed the surgery to check in and see how I was feeling. We continued with 2 more IUI cycles which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. First IVF cycle was done in January 2015 which resulted in 13 eggs retrieved, 5 eggs were mature and 2 fertilized resulting in 2 embryos but only 1 grew and a 3 day transfer was done. That resulted in a twin pregnancy which ended at 10 weeks due to genetic abnormalities. Second IVF cycle was down regulation cycle. This results in 27 eggs retrieved 21 were mature and fertilized using ICSI. 14 embryos made it to days 5 and all were tested using CCS. 7 embryos were normal and frozen. I developed mild ovarian hyper stimulation . Dr. Doherty knew this was a possibility and monitored me very closely. From that cycle which took place June 2015, first transfer done in August 2015 which resulted in negative pregnancy. Second transfer done in October 2015 which resulted in birth of our daughter June 13, 2016.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Bridget P)
Bridget was a great. Always returned phone calls within a timely manner.
Monitoring hours ran like a well oiled machine. You never waited long in office unless the was an unforeseen circumstance.
We had insurance coverage and only had to pay co-pays and for CCS.
Freehold
I conceived naturally and Dr. Doherty called me himself to congratulate me. When that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage he also called me himself to offer support and reassurance. I never feel pressured to do any treatment. I feel that he gives me all the facts and allows me to make my own decision.... He is honest, caring and compassionate. He tells all the facts even if you don't want to hear them which helps me be an informed patient.
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
I wish every iui and ultrasound was with Dr. Doherty. I recommend him all the time. He is honest, caring and compassionate. He tells all the facts even if you don't want to hear them which helps me be an informed patient.
Go for it!
I wish Dr Doherty was always the physician I would see. I did have an IUI with a trigger shot based on an ultrasound someone else did and he even said he would have maybe waited another day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jen Graeves)
Jen reached out to me multiple times after my miscarriage to make sure I was okay even though the conception was natural and not a result of a fertility treatment. She is knowledgeable, compassionate and receptive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
You will see many different PAS and Drs during your monitoring. The per son doing your treatment may not be your regular dr.
IUI mostly covered by insurance
Dr. Doherty refuses to allow me to transfer two embryos on my first IVF attempt. Even though I very much want to, he explained the risks of transferring two and the evidence surrounding eSET. I know that his decision is with my safety in mind.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
Hamilton
Dr Doherty is amazing! He called me when I needed questions answered. I was able to email him whenever I needed him and always received a response. Dr D. knew my situation very well and always treated me with respect...Dr Doherty is so warm and personable, yet always straight forward. My husband and i became his patient by chance and are ever so thankful. I wish I could give him more than 5 stars. Just amazing...He explains everything to us in great detail
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
I have been a patient of Dr. Doherty's for over a year now and cannot say enough great things about him. He explains everything to us in great detail and walked us through every step. Always went above and beyond for us. Dr Doherty is so warm and personable, yet always straight forward. My husband and i became his patient by chance and are ever so thankful. I wish I could give him more than 5 stars. Just amazing.
He is amazing and you are one lucky person to be under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Amy K )
Amy was wonderful. She always called me with my results or questions I needed to be answered promptly. I am very grateful to have had Amy as my nurse,
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I was very happy that we chose RMA. I did see another clinic and am so happy I ended up at RMA
I am very happy I followed his suggestion of a single transfer.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Doherty is very caring and knowledgeable doctor. He explained everything and let us know what the risks and expectations were realistically. Weaknesses, he wasn't always there for appointments because he goes to different offices...IUIS which failed, IVF which failed because of curved cervix and uterine polyps. I had 2 embryos left and after a hysterosopy and a trail transfer I got pregnant from a FET.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Be patient and don't be afraid to ask questions and do your own research.
He took his time to explain and gave realistic expectations.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Bridget )
Very caring and explained everything
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Stay on top of all your meditations and there side effects. Recommend to doctors if something doesn't feel right.
Ok sometimes rushed and you never knew who you would see.
Doherty was very confident and explained why it is better to transfer one embryo
Somerset
Dr. Doherty is a very kind man, he listens to you, checks in to make sure everything is okay and makes sure you are comfortable...I am still currently under the care of Dr. Doherty. I just started my cycle but so far he has been an amazing doctor...Very friendly and clean atmosphere [at RMA of New Jersey]. All the facilities are great!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Very friendly and clean atmosphere. All the facilities are great!