3.8

259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269

2020, Unsuccessful
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles...I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time...She seemed very intelligent and professional. I liked her personality and bedside manner. She was very nice. However, they definitely don't prioritize IUI patients which I get. But the whole experience with 2 IUI cycles, I just felt like I was ushered through. I thought I wouldn't be someone who needed my hand held through the process, but left feeling like their process was cold and impersonal.
I was upset with my 2nd IUI [at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine]. I did not respond...so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The clinic is busy, you probably won't talk to her more than once or twice. She is smart and I am sure she's a great doctor. It didn't work out for me. I decided I needed a smaller clinic with a more personal experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I only saw Dr. Bernardi once throughout my 2 IUI cycles. They always emailed updates and results, did not call. I don't feel like I got to know any staff and they certainly didn't get to know me. I feel like they didn't monitor my cycles very carefully and ensure the IUIs were done at the optimal time.
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I had 2 IUI cycles with Letrozole.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It is a big clinic with a lot of patients. Impersonal experience with my IUI cycles, but im sure they put more into IVF patients. Very updated, nice facilities. I switched clinics to start IVF, because it would have been a 3 to 5 month wait with a lot of hurdles. I felt like I had to do a ton of administrative work to move things along. I decided I wanted to go with a smaller clinic with a more personal experience. I have already had my egg retrieval with the new clinic before Northwestern would have even been about to get me in for a consult and start booking the pre-ivf appointments
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I was upset with my 2nd IUI. I did not respond to the low dose of leyrozile, so they started me on a 2nd round on day18 of my cycle. Then they didn't have me come back for like 8 days and we missed my ovulation and were not able to do the iui. The whole cycle seemed doomed from the start and I felt like they did not put a lot of care into monitoring and seeing what was best
Chicago

I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement...She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond.
When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse [at Norhtwestern Medicine] had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business...They [nurses] were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person...I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!!
Lia Bernardi was always great in person and on the phone. I spoke with her a total of two times in two years. Once at the initial meeting, once on the phone after miscarriage. She was kind and caring when I interacted with her. Interaction was so little. I felt like I was in charge of my own treatment. I would suggest something via portal and a nurse would respond. Also I had to point out that my thyroid was high and only then did they put on meds for that. Nice person, not a great doctor/patient experience.
Look carefully at all tests and each patients results/past. Interact more with patient.
It is very much a fertility factory here. I only saw dr. Bernardi two times in two years. I requested she be the one to do my transfer. She agreed. She was not the one who did my transfer. She went on maternity and there was no designated replacement. When I was getting methotrexate for ectopic only one nurse had empathy or kindness. The others it was all business.
Went for FET with an embryo from an embryo retrieved at another clinic out of state. Wanted to transfer in state so found them. They transferred and it was not a success. I requested Dr. Bernardi be the one to transfer- she agreed. The dr. that showed up at the transfer was NOT Dr. Bernardi and at that point I had no choice but to do the transfer as the embryo was thawed. It failed. Then we went to IUI as I had previously gotten pregnant with iui. First stimmed iui I became pregnant. I then was shuffled between two dr.'s as Dr. Bernardi went on maternity. The pregnancy was ectopic. Given methotrexate (3x) to dissolve pregnancy. Also had an empty sac. This was expelled and I ended up being admitted to ER for excessive bleeding. Horrible times. A few months pass. We decide to do iui again. First iui failed. Second they stimmed me too hard and I feel the cycle should have been cancelled as I triggered on day 6. It failed, not surprised. This current cycle I am doing a natural cycle (I asked for this). We'll see. I am planning on going elsewhere after this cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They were always different. I never felt I worked with one or another. They always answered my questions via the portal but I never felt I was communicating with an actual person.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths- they do a lot of procedures here and have the monitoring down. You will be with every other infertile woman in the city but it doesn't take too long. Weaknesses- not super compassionate, feels like a factory. Never felt they looked at ME- rather what normally works/is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
a lot for the fet. Each iui ends up being about 1700$
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not applicable
I had one Dr. tell me I was miscarrying, and another tell me I wasn't. This went on for THREE WEEKS!!!! This was when my normal dr. was on maternity leave. My thyroid levels were off and I had to point this out! I had to request every follow up tsh test as well. My estrogen/lining was too low and I had to tell them this, "my lining seems too thin- perhaps I should have estrogen." then they said, "yes, you're right- I'll send a prescription." I wanted them to notice these things and fix them- not me. At times felt like I was my own doctor and they just performed the tests.
Chicago

The nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with...The biggest thing I wish I had known before I started with this clinic was that doctors aren't actual present for any cycle ultrasounds. All ultrasounds leading up to a transfer are done by staff. This was different from the level of care I had at my previous clinic and therefore was unexpected for me. Overall, Northwestern is fast and efficient, but I felt the staff as a whole could be a little friendlier. I had issues contacting the financial coordinators and getting my embryos transferred from my previous clinic.
When we first went for our consultation with Dr. Bernardi, she seemed incredibly friendly and knowledgable and like she would be a good doctor to work with. When it was time to start our cycle though I didn't hear from her at all, working only with nurses. When I requested for her to call, she elected instead to send me a message a day later informing me she was going on maternity leave and good luck. So essentially, she did not tell me she was going on maternity leave until the last moment, when she certainly could have told me sooner and made alternative arrangements for my care. In addition, she could not take the time to speak with me over the phone and discuss certain procedures and answer my questions. It was very disappointing.
Ask a lot of questions and be persistent if you actually want to speak on the phone with her. Although ultimately I would recommend a different doctor at Northwestern.
I received no personalized care or consideration from Dr. Bernardi. I genuinely felt that my cycle did not matter to her.
We used oral estrogen tablets, injectable progesterone, and progesterone suppositories.
The nurses were extremely responsive, friendly, and easy to communicate with.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
$5,000 for an embryo transfer, plus the cost of medication, plus copay expenses for workup appointments.
When we had our initial consultation and I told her in our last cycle we had only done a single embryo, she asked why and thought we could do two embryos. That was the extent of her comments or explanation about the subject.