3.8

259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. ... She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist. ... She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!) ...
NW [Northwestern Medicine] does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment. ... The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
How was your experience with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi made us feel instantly at ease. She explained things thoroughly and answered our millions of questions with kindness and expertise. She was happy to try new things and was willing to work with my Reproductive Immunologist.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research and be your own advocate. If you have multiple losses, seek out a reputable Reproductive Immunologist to work with Dr. Bernardi. If you have unexplained infertility, insist upon the ReceptivaDX to test for the biomarker for endometriosis.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bernardi never rushed our appointments, answered all of our questions, and delivered honest information in a kind and supportive manner. She is empathetic, quick to respond to emails, and has a very caring demeanor. (We love her!)
Describe the protocols Lia Bernardi used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Bernardi did every test (except for ones related to immunology). Based on my AMH, it was determined that have diminished ovarian reserve. Therefore she did not want to over suppress my ovaries. My standard treatment for medicated cycles was: 350 Gonal F Trigger: 250 Ovidrel When that didn't produce more than 2 follicles, we tried Menopur and Estrogen priming but got poorer results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana our Nurse is like family! She is there for us at any time and we really feel that she is rooting for us. She is so quick to get back to us and is so compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is a very large clinic so expect a cattle call kind of office. Sometimes there is standing room only in the waiting area. The weekend staff for monitoring is outsourced which means many have no idea who you are nor, do they seem to care. I have left in tears many times from weekend monitoring appointments. During the week, the staff is amazing though and the women at the front desk are some of the most marvelous people you could ever meet!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lia Bernardi at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Thankfully, our insurance covered everything except the ReceptivaDX test. NW does have an onsite financial advisor who is extremely helpful when dealing with insurance and payment.
Chicago

Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. ... It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. ... I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. ... My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question. ... Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process.
Dr. Bernardi is compassionate and knowledgeable. She made my husband and I feel very at ease during each of our meetings and explained things in terms that we could both understand. I feel like she is a partner in our journey.
Do your research before seeking consultation so you can have an educated conversation with the doctor. She does a good thing of explaining things, but you'll be in a better position to understand them and grapple with any emotional what ifs prior to the meeting if you are your own advocate. She will help you along the way.
Dr. Bernardi was very warm and very thorough during her consultation. We did labs that day and an ultrasound that confirmed her suspicion that I have PCOS. She gave me a good understanding that we would have to do some preliminary tests before we started a treatment course. The doctor was present in my HSG and lent words of affirmation via mychart during monitored cycles with timed intercourse. I am still in this method of treatment and may advance to IUI if we don't have luck this month. She is approachable and hopeful in her approach. I would highly recommend Dr. Bernardi.
It was determined that I had signs and symptoms of PCOS after an hour long consultation, labs and ultrasound. We proceeded to do genetic testing and an HSG to check if I had any blockages in my tubes. I had no issues with that so the suggested method of treatment was to recruit follicles with Femara and trigger with Ovidrel while doing monitored cycles. I am currently on my third month in a two week wait. This protocol is managed by a nurse through the mychart system to set up early morning monitoring appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
My nursing staff is highly responsive and helpful whenever i Have a question.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern Fertility and Reproductive Medicine have provided me with a good experience. I feel like I am in the best of care at this clinic. Early morning monitoring sessions seem like a well oiled machine, from the check in staff to phlebotomist and ultrasound technicians. Everyone is warm and friendly throughout the process. It could seem to one, that it's a baby factory due to the location in downtown Chicago - they are very busy - but they are what I believe to be, the best.
After insurance, I have minimal costs for my monitored cycles with letrozole and ovirdrel. However, if I decide to do an IUI, that would be approximately $720 out of pocket for the procedure itself. IVF is uncovered by my insurance and costs $10,000 per round made by check.
Describe Lia Bernardi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Not Applicable to me
Chicago

She [Dr. Lia Bernardi] was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages....She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles....She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that...
Strengths are that they [Northwestern] are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory."
She is a warm, compassionate doctor. She does a good job balancing my own wishes/priorities with her medical judgement. She patiently answered all of my questions (and I had A LOT of questions!) She made a point to involve my husband in discussions as well, whereas a different doctor that we saw first nearly ignored him. She advocated on my behalf with my insurance company when they didn't want to cover IVF after 3 IUI cycles.
Do your reading in advance and come prepared with a list of questions.
She was very warm and kind in her in-person and email interactions. Sometimes it was hard to communicate directly with her via email (MyChart) because the nurses answer all the messages.
25 mg Clomid x 5 days for 1st and 2nd IUIs. I produced 2 mature follicles the 1st time and 1 the second time. 50 mg Clomid x 5 days for 3rd IUI-- still only produced 1 mature follicle, pregnancy results pending (too soon to test). She decided that it I am not pregnant, next time I should come in sooner for baseline testing (day 3 instead of day 5) so I can start Clomid earlier in hopes of producing 2 follicles. She had recommended 50 mg Clomid from the start but I wanted to start with 25 mg and she was OK with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Very prompt responses to MyChart messages and very detailed instructions provided. She performed one of my IUIs and she explained the procedure step-by-step. When I requested that she communicate directly with my doctor to answer a question, she did so and got back to me quickly.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths are that they are an academic center, they are on the cutting edge of medical research and they follow all of the recommended SART guidelines. They do not promote any products or services that are not medically proven to work (i.e. no accupuncture, vitamins/supplements, fertility nutritionists, etc). In my opinion this is a good thing. They do have psychologists and the one I saw was great. Weaknesses are that they are super busy and sometimes you wait over an hour for ultrasound/labs during morning monitoring hours (it is first come first serve). Also sometimes you have to wait on hold for 5 min when you call. Due to the volume of patients it can definitely feel like a "factory." You need to be somewhat savvy about your own medical care and ask questions if something doesn't seem right. There is not a lot of "hand-holding"-- you need to fend for yourself.
With my insurance, office visits had a $50 copay. IUI was covered by my insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We initially saw a different doctor at the clinic. When my husband's semen analysis results came back abnormal, the nurse communicated with us via MyChart message. I felt this was inappropriate considering the results were abnormal. I wrote back multiple times saying I want the doctor to call us, but apparently the doctor refused and said we need to come in for an appointment. Her schedule was full when I called, which was so stressful. Eventually she overbooked us and met with us. I had to pay a $50 copay for the visit when she could've just called. My husband and I were extremely worried about what these results meant, but during appointment she said his results were only "mildly abnormal" and not too worrisome. She could have spared us so much stress by just calling right away. We switched doctors after that.
Chicago

Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints!...is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen [at Northwestern Medicine]! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time...She [nurse] dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Dr Bernardi is very warm, welcoming, comforting! I always felt comfortable picking her brain and discussing treatment plan. During my ivf treatment she was expecting. She asked if I was ok with her treating me while she was pregnant. That was very considerate of her. It didn't bother me at all, and of course I wanted her to continue treating me!
Ask all the questions you like! She will answer them all without making you feel uncomfortable!
Dr L. Bernardi and her team were awesome! I have zero complaints! Every single person in that office is warm and welcoming! The view is also amazing and calming! I never felt like a number! I highly recommend her and her team! Very warm, welcoming, empathetic, and kind!
We started with clomid, but that had an adverse effect on me. We stopped immediately! It had my vision like I was in the Matrix! We then moved on to Menopur, Gonal F, Ovidrel, and maybe another med(I forget). I can't recall the doses. We did weekly blood work, and Ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lauren T)
Lauren T RN was absolutely amazing! She dealt with my questions with a smile everytime. She is welcoming and makes you feel like you're talking to a friend instead of a healthcare provider. She's prompt in responding to any correspondence. She makes you feel as if you're her only client (compared to some of the horror stories at other facilities, she's a godsend). She's the absolute best!
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is beautiful. It has wonderful views of lake Michigan. They are fast, and run like a well oiled machine, without making you feel like a number. They are great a accommodating you if you don't have an appointment (sometimes things come up and you really have to be seen immediately). Registration, phlebotomy, ultrasound, etc., all are fast without being rushed and they all listen! I don't have any weaknesses to discuss at this time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Ultrasound typically was done right after or before bloodwork. They put you on the schedule and you do it then. Never a long line/lengthy wait!
The cost was for procedures, clinic, were covered under the insurance had at that time. The meds were covered up to a percentage for the first cycle. All cycles after are out of pocket.
Chicago

[Northwestern's] Strength: Doctors are mostly all great, (don't know all, and there are ones I don't like). They have the best administrative people who check you in. They all know me by name and are the best part of the mornings. Weakness: With so many doctors on staff, your main doctor will not necessarily preform your procedures. I've encountered 1 doctor 2x who I didn't like. She performed my d&c and was not empathetic towards what I may be feeling. She also did my 2nd egg retrieval but was a little nicer. My own dr got to do my embryo transfer which I was very happy about. With so many nurses on staff you aren't assigned a primary nurse who knows you and your history without having to check your charts.
Dr. Bernardi is an excellent doctor. She has very strong communication skills and she is always giving you all your options. She does research and it is obvious she thinks of you as a patient and human being, rather than just another number that comes in. Dr. Bernardi is always patient with me as I ask her lots of questions and have plenty of anxiety around my situation. She is always upbeat and remains positive. She checks in on me when i'm not expecting it. When she says she will call or email, she always does. I don't have a negative thing to say about her. I can't express how happy I am that I switched to her after my 2nd miscarriage. She is very empathetic and caring.
Don't be afraid to ask her anything. She is so nice and professional at the same time. I don't think she has a shock feature. She is very responsive to all your questions and concerns.
Dr. Bernardi went out of her way to ease my anxiety. I never felt like I was just another number to her, and continue to feel like she genuinely cares about me. She answers my emails at times as late as 10:30 at night. She calls to check up on me when she doesn't have to. During my first retrieval she popped by to wish me luck before I went under. She is always very thorough and ways all the options with me. She allowed me to send her as many emails as I wanted that went straight to her mailbox instead of the nurses pool.
When I first met Dr. Bernardi, I had recently gone through my 2nd miscarriage. My original doctor wanted me to start IVF treatment as soon as my period came back. I wasn't comfortable with this so we asked for a 2nd opinion. After looking at my history Dr. Bernardi offered to do a recurrent loss panel. She told us that it wasn't necessary but she was curious if there could be a potential reason for the 2nd loss. It was her that figured out that I have APS. With this new diagnosis she thought since I got pregnant 2x already with just IUI that it could happen again. We agreed that my tolerance for IUI would be a 3 cycle limit. We tried 3 more IUI's and I didn't get pregnant. She was willing to do as many more as I wanted but I said I was done and wanted to move onto IVF. I'm young, only 31 so we thought I'd have a good response. I also have PCOS, so our first round she was very cautious about my medicine. I was on the lowest dosage of everything. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 fertilized and only 3 made it to blast. Before we had the genetic results back, we talked with her and decided to do 1 more retrieval to get some back up embryos incase it didn't work, and also for our future since we wanted more than 1 kid. Our 2nd retrieval went extremely well, and Dr. Bernardi upped my meds just a little bit from 75, to 150. (She was still cautious). The 2nd time around we got 25 eggs, 22 mature, and 19 fertilized. 11 of them made it to blastocyst! Today we did a "fresh" transfer, but used a frozen embryo from our first cycle. I can't tell you if it worked or not yet, but I feel great about our potential!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Bernardi has a set of 4-5 nurses that work with her. I do have a favorite nurse that is not on her team though. Nurse Amy Dorsey is my favorite nurse as she had been with me through all of my journey before seeing Dr. Bernardi. All of the nurses have been professional. I haven't encountered any nurse who wasn't really friendly and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The monitoring appointments are like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and are conscious that the women have to get to work. They started opening their doors as early at 6:45am to accommodate the morning rush.
I don't really know everything. Our IUI's usually cost us about $30 because insurance covered it. Our first IVF cycle things were covered. Our IVF meds cost about $400 with insurance. PGS testing was done outside of our clinic so it cost 1795. There was also a $890 freezing fee. The 2nd round was 1/2 out of pocket since we maxed out our insurance. The egg retrieval was ~$5000. The transfer was ~$3500. The iVf meds were around ~$3000. Plus, the $890 freezing fee again.
We agreed that we would only do a single embryo transfer because of my age, and risk of doing multiple embryos. I already will have a high risk pregnancy due to having APS, so it didn't seem worth it put me at even more risk.
Chicago

Dr Bernardi always remembered everything about my case and was so compassionate. She would frequently call me if something came up and didn’t only rely on her nurses to share sensitive information. I always feel completely taken care of when I meet with her or talk to her and know she’s doing everything in her power to help me have a successful pregnancy.
They [Northwestern Medicine] are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. ... I had 100% insurance coverage for everything except PGS testing which ended up being about $4000 total
Make sure you get her as your doctor!
Dr Bernardi is the most caring and compassionate doctor I’ve ever had. She always takes the time to make me feel like she’s a partner in this with me and my husband.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- they are at the cutting edge of all new treatments so I always feel confident in their suggestions or advice. They are a well oiled machine which I personally appreciated since you have to go in so often and they are very good at keeping their wait times down for the most part. I never felt rushed when I was in the room with a doctor or nurse. Cons- your doctor doesn’t necessarily do all of your procedures. While I absolutely love Dr Bernardi I haven’t loved the other doctors in the practice and wish she could be the one doing everything for me.
We are only doing single embryo transfers
2017, Unknown Success
If you are looking for empathetic, creative, and warm, Dr. Bernardi is a wonderful fit....She trial-ed a different protocol that allowed me to get a cycle in before the end of the year lab closing. We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos....Dr. Bernardi treated me with compassion and empathy unlike any of the other four specialists we met with. She was creative and willing to work in a timeline when a colleague of hers was not.
Northwestern is state of the art but you need to advocate for yourself. You won't get an AFC during your ultrasound but can press the nurse who gives you the results later in the day for this information....When in IVF Bootcamp, the scheduler said she was not tasked with the order, while the nurse swore she sent the order....We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
Dr. Bernardi was recommended to me while I was under the care of one of her colleagues and had some concerns about my care. I met with her and immediately felt at ease. She asked about my reasons for leaving the other physician in attempts to get to know me better as a patient. She trial-ed a different protocol that allowed me to get a cycle in before the end of the year lab closing. We both went in with low expectations due to my lower reserve and were pleased with the outcome, making it to retrieval and freezing embryos.
We did a fresh start (no priming) and higher doses of FSH (300) and LH (150). Ganirelix was added on day 5. I triggered on day 8.