Medical SchoolU of AZ
ResidencyPhoenix Integrated
FellowshipU of IA
1650 Response Road
Sacramento, CA 95815
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lisa Cookingham to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente Sacramento to a friend?
Dr Cookingham is very personable... She has great bedside manor. Puts you at ease. She knows about the process and can answer any questions. Make you feel like she cares and knows you and your particular issues well.... The day of the procedure I was nervous but the main person to put me at ease was Dr. Cookingham. She is great and the main reason for me choosing her clinic to go with for this procedure.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She has great bedside manor. Puts you at ease. She knows about the process and can answer any questions. Make you feel like she cares and knows you and your particular issues well. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Don’t feel afraid to ask a lot of questions and let them know your concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr Cookingham is very personable. Some staff members hurry you at appointments because of the amount of people seen at the clinic.
Describe the protocols Lisa Cookingham used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
Hormone injections. Blood tests. Appointments every few days for a few weeks. Need a few days after procedure to recover.
Most nursing staff were very friendly and caring. Especially front desk blood retrieval waiting staff and office nurses. They were friendly and attentative. I like to ask lots of questions for clarity on especially my injection schedule and I have never done an injection before. There were one or two nurses that made me feel they could not relate to me having to do this for the first time. Down playing it and saying it’s easy is good but should meet my concerns with care.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
They were understanding of my work schedule and was able to work out the schedule of appointments perfectly. I took about 2 Weeks off during the injections and after the procedure. I did a lot of driving from the Peninsula to Sacramento for the treatment and they were very understanding of my commute. Clean and friendly staff were there for me. Just one or two nurses were less caring than the others which may be to be expected out of the whole staff. They were the ones that went over the paperwork and how to do the injections I would have liked a little more attention on that day to feel very confident in doing the injections. But I was given loads of information and resources to help me as well. The day of the procedure I was nervous but the main person to put me at ease was Dr. Cookingham. She is great and the main reason for me choosing her clinic to go with for this procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
8,000 plus 5,000 for medications.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Cookingham knew my name from the second I walked into her treatment room. She also remembered me when we went to her IVF consultation and seminar, when I had not seen her for months. She is very warm and caring.... Dr. Cookingham upped my dose from 2mg of Femera to 7.5mg of Femara and also adjusted my Menopur dosage. While under her care I produced two follicles instead of one. I have not gotten pregnant yet, but we are on the wait list to start IVF treatment with her.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Cookingham is wonderful. I first went to Dr. Vu and we just did not "click" how i wanted. I then saw Dr. Cookingham and I actually like her so much that my husband and I have decided to do IVF through Kaiser in Sacramento/Vacaville because I really want to work with her.
She has a long wait list for IVF, so sign up sooner rather than later, and you can always cancel your appointment if something happens or you change your mind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: RN Anjali Sharma )
Like I stated in my previous review of Dr. Vu, I LOVE the staff at Kaiser in Sacramento. I see Nurse Anjali Sharma most often for routine visits. I love her. She cares about her patients. I have never met a medical professional I like more actually.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Kaiser is very easy to work with and I have had an overall very great experience working with them. Scheduling can be somewhat tricky because they don't answer their phones, but if you leave a message they return your call within one business day.
Nothing was covered under insurance other then diagnostic testing.
Describe Lisa Cookingham's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Dr. Cookingham prefers single embryo transfer and Kaiser does not want to do multiple embryo transfers unless you are in your mid thirties or older. They offer a program where if you meet the criteria (under 40, and has more than three quality eggs) then if you chose to implant one egg on your first fresh transfer, then if it fails they will give you two free frozen egg IVF cycles.
Sacramento
I have rheumatoid arthritis that is in medicated remission. I knew that I was going to have trouble getting pregnant because nothing with my body is easy at all. She [Dr. Lisa Cookingham] recommended doing ovulation predictor kits first for 3 months then clomid and then iui with clomid then letrozole then menopur. I was getting a lot of eggs but no preganacy not even once.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She was nice but I had a lot of questions that I felt were brushed off. The protocol in kaiser is very rigid and it makes adaptability for different patients difficult. I felt like just a number. It’s a very difficult time and there wasn’t much compassion felt.
Be prepared to have to ask questions that might not be answered.
I felt like I was annoying them with all my questions.
I have rheumatoid arthritis that is in medicated remission. I knew that I was going to have trouble getting pregnant because nothing with my body is easy at all. She recommended doing ovulation predictor kits first for 3 months then clomid and then iui with clomid then letrozole then menopur. I was getting a lot of eggs but no preganacy not even once.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Martyn)
Well kaiser has their NP’s do their iui’s so I only saw her for these. The other nurse is Bonnie Brown. She explained some things to me like how to use injectables.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I could always get an appointment. Their rigid protocols make you feel like a number. They’re not as compassionate as I would’ve liked. The medical assistant has been pregnant twice since I started going there and it’s like a slap in the face and she wasn’t nice.
I had two insurances while seeing the clinic in Vacaville kaiser. I paid for copay for iui and ultrasounds. My medication were discounted but ended up being 2000.
She prefers only one embryo transfer. Because twins have a low mortality rate and complications.
Sacramento
She [Dr. Cookingham] knew my chart and what we and was not done before we ever met with her. During our consultations she asked what would work for us and for our life, and what we were ok with.... She always had my best interest at heart. We discussed in length what we were ok and not ok with, and we set goals, and everything she did with our treatment was with our goals in mind. She always kept me up to date on labs, and if they were back in a timely manner she would let me know that, and that she was still on a look out for them. She took an interest in our lives and made sure the care she provided matched it.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Be prepared for honest information. She's not going to purposely hyperstim you to get this grand number of eggs, she's going to focus on getting you a good number of quality eggs and turning them into quality embryos.
She knew my chart and what we and was not done before we ever met with her. During our consultations she asked what would work for us and for our life, and what we were ok with.
Gonal in the morning, and menopur at night for 14 days with her adjusting doses at each appointment. Added Centrotide on day 9 for 5, and triggered the night of day 15.
It was an array of nurses as they all only work part time. It took a while when I called for the nurse I would speak to to know what my treatment plan was.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
It's kaiser, so everything is by protocol, which means you have very little wiggle room. It would have been nicer to have more of a variety of options for treatment times to start, but that's not what my doctor was scheduled for.
$12,000 for IVF with ICSI. $4,095 for medications.
She left it up to us, but knowing our diagnosis and having to pay cash, and knowing the risks of twins we decided to do it.
Sacramento
Dr. Cookingham was great, however, working with Kaiser was stressful and discouraging....Dr. Cookingham is wonderful. She is extremely knowledgable while also being positive and upbeat. She is informative and has a kind bedside manner. Unfortunately, she's part of a system [Kaiser] that is not supportive of the patient and their life and needs.... I said I wanted to discuss the outcome with my doctor. And the only available phone or in-person appointment was one month later.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Cookingham is wonderful. She is extremely knowledgable while also being positive and upbeat. She is informative and has a kind bedside manner. Unfortunately, she's part of a system that is not supportive of the patient and their life and needs.
Dr. Cookingham was great, however, working with Kaiser was stressful and discouraging. For example, after my final transfer was unsuccessful I was contacted by a nurse and was given attitude when I said I wanted to discuss the outcome with my doctor. And the only available phone or in-person appointment was one month later. Also, I was not consulted on appointment times, which became very inconvenient and stressful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Marten)
The nurses through Kaiser Reproductive Endocrinology were great, however those through the IVF team were rude and terse. This made my experience extremely stressful.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Kaiser Sacramento has strengths in their statistics, however you are treated like a number by many of the staff. I did not have success through many attempts and while it was very personal to me, it was just another day to the nurses. I also had to go between two clinics that were quite a way away from my home and job in order to receive treatment. This included driving about an hour each way, just to get a blood test, when there is a Kaiser clinic about 3 miles from my home.
Sacramento
She [Dr. Cookingham] was very nice and explained what was going to happen and what was next. She also supported my decisions on what I wanted to do. She would change my meds when needed to try and up my chances of the treatments that I was doing and monitored my progress well...I feel like there are specific tests that were never ran on me. For example my amh, fsh, and progesterone were never tested and I feel like those are pretty important to know.
European, Other
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She was very nice and explained what was going to happen and what was next. She also supported my decisions on what I wanted to do. She would change my meds when needed to try and up my chances of the treatments that I was doing and monitored my progress well.
Stick up for yourself and always question things if you don’t understand any part of something.
She was always willing to talk to me about things going on. Also she was very open about next steps and what I wanted to do.
I used femara with all my iui’s. I also used menopur with all. The last couple iui’s I doubled my dose to 2 vials. And always used a trigger shot 36 hours before my scheduled iui’s. I always had at least one decent sized follicle but never had one fertilize.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The nurse and staff were very good. They were very nice and caring. They would always treat me like a person and not just a patient. Always asking how I was with everything going on.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The overall testing of Kaiser as a whole I wouldn’t rate highly. There are a few tests that I feel should’ve been done. At the time of being a patient there I didn’t know much about fertility so I didn’t know what to be tested for. Going into it now I have learned a lot and know that I am going to need to be more demanding of my care and testing.
Pricing seemed average. My insurance paid for 50% if testing, meds and procedures (everything except ivf). Ultrasound was around $115 and iui was around $150 after insurance.
Sacramento
She [Dr. Cookingham] always takes great care in your comfort and understanding of the procedures and processes. Lisa does not rush your treatment or questions...Dr. C is compassionate and caring. Every visit I felt like she was as hopeful and eager to help us start our family as we were. I always appreciated her willingness to try new things while also believing that my body could naturally handle some things as well. She was patient and kind. A very genuine provider. Always loved working with her.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
If you want to try something new be sure to ask.
She always takes great care in your comfort and understanding of the procedures and processes. Lisa does not rush your treatment or questions. Every patient is as important as the next.
We tried letrazole. Two tablets daily cycle day 3-7. Formed 1-2 mature follicles then naturally ovulated with IUI next day from positive OPK.
Competent and caring. Fun and friendly. They really take care and concern in your treatment and understanding the process. Very patient and kind.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Large clinic so it is easy to get lost as a patient and become a number. Be sure to remind tryout current RE of what you have completed verses what you want to do next. On the plus side, when you begin going regularly to the same doctor they will get to know you and their nurses. It is very organized and timely. The copay for us was very reasonable.
I never paid more than $10 for an ultrasound or $10 for medication until we got to injections then the Menopur was $30. Very reasonable with our level of coverage
Na
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Cookingham] was candid, told me I had unexplained infertility, explained that getting pregnant was hard so i wouldn't be discouraged, and was kind when she told me I was technically of advanced maternal age. She fully explained potential risks... Suggested Femora rather than Clomid because a) fewer side effects and b) less risk of multiples. Explained that Femora was not technically approved by the FDA for fertility therefore it was my choice to decide which I preferred. Instructed me to take Femora prior to ovulation, the did the IUI procedure as soon as I received a positive ovulation predictor test.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Same as my previous answer. She was candid, told me I had unexplained infertility, explained that getting pregnant was hard so i wouldn't be discouraged, and was kind when she told me I was technically of advanced maternal age. She fully explained potential risks and suggested I take Femora rather than Clomid, but left the choice up to me.
Go see her, she's great!
She was very open and honest with me, and suggested I take Femora instead of Clomid to lessen my chances of negative side effects.
Suggested Femora rather than Clomid because a) fewer side effects and b) less risk of multiples. Explained that Femora was not technically approved by the FDA for fertility therefore it was my choice to decide which I preferred. Instructed me to take Femora prior to ovulation, the did the IUI procedure as soon as I received a positive ovulation predictor test. The first round did not result in pregnancy. Tried again during my next cycle which resulted in a twin pregnancy and subsequent twin live births.
Everyone at this facility was wonderful. Very pleasant and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I like Kaiser for its convenience. All the resources I needed were at the same location, including pharmacy. Some find Kaiser to be cold, but I have always had a wonderful experience. This particular department is very kid, caring, and discreet.
My insurance covered 50% of the procedure. I don't believe I spent more than $500 for the consultation, testing, and two IUI procedures.
Sacramento
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She [Dr. Cookingham] was very responsive to email, of course with Kaiser they have 24-48 hours to respond. She is honest about her approach and her experience. Bed side manners are great. She's kind and patient. Never did I feel rushed when speaking with her.... Wasn't given the correct information when I requested the PGS results. I had a total of 6 embryos sent for testing. Doctor called me back with results for only 5 embryos, she was not aware there was 6 to test.
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She was very responsive to email, of course with Kaiser they have 24-48 hours to respond. She is honest about her approach and her experience. Bed side manners are great. She's kind and patient. Never did I feel rushed when speaking with her.
Be open about your expectations. Ask about the latest trends.
Responsive to email.
Agonist full IVF cycle. Menapur, Gonal-F, estrogen pills.
You do not get one specific nurse to work with. At any given day the nurse schedule changes. They are not very responsive. When working with KP nurses they only respond 24-48 hours of leaving a voicemail or an email.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
As stated before you do not get responses very quickly. You have to leave a message and a nurse will call you back within 24 hours. They have an emergency contact number but that usually is a call center that will take a message. Before leaving your appointment make sure you are clear on all action items. Nurses do not seem to communicate with each other.
I believe I spent about $15,000 minus PGS testing. $4000 for meds.
Will only transfer 1 PGS embryo at a time. Non tested she will transfer 2.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Dr Cookingham made me feel very comfortable, confident, and competent regarding my process. She always took her time with me and ensured our questions were answered. She was always present and very approachable. She knows what she is doing and that made me feel at ease...She attended every appointment, performed every ultrasound, and remembered details we shared at prior appointments. She is direct but also optimistic which makes a great combo.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Follow instructions and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Only retrieval so far Gonal-F (225) AM x 9 days Menopur PM (3x75) x 2 days (2x75) x 7 days Ganirelix AM x Days 6-9 18 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 13 fertilized, 9 blast
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
They have been excellent in communicating, returning calls and emails and knowing all of the information
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I love everything about Kaiser. The one opportunity would be the time in takes to complete an IVF cycle, but this may be the norm. It’s my first one and I have only done it at Kaiser so I can’t attest to how long it normally takes.
8000 for IVF cycle (I have one per lifetime insurance coverage so I paid 1000) 1650 ICSI 3000 PGS biopsies
Single embryo transfer due to risks with multiple (this was based partially on my age). I was told sometimes in patients of “advanced maternal age” they would transfer multiples
Sacramento
She [Dr. Cookingham] was always understanding and caring and explained everything clearly. She was extremely caring when I miscarry October of 2017. Communicated and made sure I had all the test and my DNC was done and comfort me when I lost my baby.she also encourage me to try again once I had recovered from my loss....My fiance was advised to visit his urologist...I was prescribed fermara and then IUI
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
She was always understanding and caring and explained everything clearly. She was extremely caring when I miscarry October of 2017. Communicated and made sure I had all the test and my DNC was done and comfort me when I lost my baby.she also encourage me to try again once I had recovered from my loss.
To trust her 100%
She was very understanding treated us like family.
My fiance was advised to visit his urologist and prescribed Clomid to help with his sperm count, he was also recommended to use some supplements to help with the motility, when his count went up I was prescribed fermara and then IUI, we did 3 rounds and got pregnant lost baby at approx 9-12 wks , we waited 2 months and did another round and fail, now doing 5th round with a mix of femera and trigger shot will be doing IUI in 4 days...
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Nurse martyn)
They all awesome!!! Made sure I understand the entire process and show empathy at all times ..
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Great team, great response from doctors when I have questions, extremely organized and they always follow up with me. I always get a fast response when i emailed with any concerns. Extremely professionals
My copay only $5 per visit and medications are $5 for each medication. IUI was also covered just not IVF it's an out of pocket service
Sacramento
Dr Cookingham is very kind and thorough. She always took her time, even if it meant she would be late for her next meeting. She went above and beyond with my care and took the extra steps to assure me and make me feel confident and comfortable.... Dr. Cookingham used all of the protocols set up by Kaiser. She explained why Kaiser used them and why she agreed. She is patient and an excellent communicater and I never left her office confused.
South Asian, Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Lisa Cookingham at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Cookingham is the best dr I have seen for any reason. I have already highly recommended her to my friends. She is the absolute best and I was lucky to be her patient! She is kind and welcoming and she put me at ease after having a hard time before I was under her care.
Don't see anyone else! Just go see Dr. Cookingham!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Yes, but I don't remember her name)
Everyone in the office was amazing. I had a great experience.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I had a great experience! The only thing that was difficult was that Dr. Cookingham works out of 2 offices, Sacramento and Vacaville. I live in Sacramento so sometimes it was difficult traveling to Vacaville but totally worth it to be under Dr. Cookingham's care.
I don't remember.
Dr. Cookingham prefers single embryo transfers but is not opposed to transferring 2 embryos if that is what the patient wants. She will not transfer more than 2 per Kaiser policy.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. cookingham is very sweet. I trust her with everything. She takes the time to explain procedures, makes you feel comfortable and actually truly cares about you. Dr. Cookingham replies quickly back to emails and phone calls.... Most of the nursing staff is very sweet. For my second cycle I feel like I was forgot a little bit. My waivers got a little messed up. There is a nurse there that always had to call me with my negative results. I felt as if she truly did not understand her patients. She was too happy about my negative test and it really bugged me.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
To trust her
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The clinic takes on too many patients. Appointments are always running behind.
10,300 for fresh cycle, $4000-$5000 for frozen transfer,