Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Minnesota
ResidencySt. Paul-Ramsey Med Ctr
FellowshipMayo Clinic
2828 Chicago Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55407
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lisa Erickson to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota to a friend?
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Erickson was very patient and kind. She always had a smile on her face, and she was always very optimistic. She was truthful, but caring. I felt in very good hands with Dr. Erickson.... Dr. Erickson was the first doctor we met with at CRM back in 2014. She explained that I should have a laparoscopy as a first step to confirm if I did or did not have endometriosis. Once I found that out, she advised we jump right into IVF, because outcomes are best.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Dr. Erickson was the first doctor we met with at CRM back in 2014. She explained that I should have a laparoscopy as a first step to confirm if I did or did not have endometriosis. Once I found that out, she advised we jump right into IVF, because outcomes are best. We were hesitant because of the cost, but she really seemed to push IVF. At first, we didn't appreciate the strong push, but once our IUI cycle failed, we decided to look into IVF. She was always very encouraging and compassionate. She was always hopeful and she seemed to have a very positive outlook for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Ask questions and take notes, and see if there is anything that would work before the cost of IVF. I think the best advice is to get educated on all of the terminology and scenarios.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Describe the protocols Lisa Erickson used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
I initially had two laparoscopies to excise the endometriosis. We then tried for six months with no luck, and tried IUI. IUI was not recommended, but we wanted to try anyways. We did a pretty straight and simple cycle with egg monitoring and a trigger shot. I had two mature eggs, and the cycle failed. We waited two months before we decided on IVF. When we went in for our IVF consultation it was January, and they didn't have an opening for a retrieval until May. I started birth control in late February, and then Lupron. I then used Menopur and Follistim. I was closely monitored and my eggs weren't where they should be, so we bumped up everything. I had my retrieval in early May, where I had 12 eggs retrieved. We decided before the cycle, that if I had anything more than 12 eggs, we were going to freeze the eggs, and just fertilize the 12 to limit the amount of embryos. We ended up with a perfect dozen, and of that 12, 8 were mature, and by day five we had three viable embryos. I used Minivalle patches and Endometrin. I feel like I had a pretty standard protocol, and we were happy with the outcome. We transferred one on day five and nine months later, our miracle daughter was born! We have two embryos on ice and we are just deciding on when would be a good time to grow our family again.
They seem distant and not engaged. I truly wish they had more compassion and empathy. It seemed like they were disengaged and just there doing their job. Going through fertility treatments is so emotionally exhausting that I wish that the nurses were more engaged.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Overall, CRM did a great job, and we of course were so grateful for our positive outcome. I do think they could show more compassion and grace while dealing with patients that have so much riding on their care. I think that the doctors are smart, and their protocols have worked for many of my friends, including us. Also, when my daughter was born, I sent a birth announcement, and I heard crickets. I really do think the least they could do is send a congratulations card. We have spent so much money and time, and there was no response. For example, I sent a birth announcement to my acupuncturist, and they sent a card and a Onsie. I just think CRM's overall customer experience could be upped, especially when people have poured their heart, soul, time energy and cash here.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It was a well-oiled machine. I never had to wait more than five minutes. I really appreciated how efficient they kept appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Erickson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Cycle Monitoring Medications Lab Work All said and done it was around $15,000
Describe Lisa Erickson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Our doctor strongly encouraged a single embryo transfer for the fresh cycle. For FET, she encourages multiples.
Minneapolis
Each couple's infertility story is different and unique. Dr. Erickson takes that into consideration when creating a diagnosis and treatment plan. She was careful with her words and very sympathetic when she was explaining our diagnosis and our odds of conceiving.... Before leaving that appointment, we had a diagnosis, a surgery date set up, and a tentative treatment plan....I did 2 IUI's following the same protocol and then it was recommended we do IVF.
During our consultation, Dr. Erickson made sure she explained everything in terms we understood. She came in the ultrasound room with me and explained everything she was seeing, instead of waiting for her to read the results and tell us at another appointment. Before leaving that appointment, we had a diagnosis, a surgery date set up, and a tentative treatment plan. It was information overload but everything we have been waiting to hear. We finally got answers.
Ask lots of questions. You will go over a lot of information in a short period of time. Think of questions before your appointment and bring that list with you.
During our consultation, we set up a surgery date and a tentative treatment plan following surgery. After surgery, I was prescribed Femara and ovidrel injection, along with IUI. I did 2 IUI's following the same protocol and then it was recommended we do IVF. With Stage 4 endometriosis, your odds of conceiving on your own is very low.
They all worked as a team with their doctors. Appointments ran quick and smooth.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Making appointments for anything (ultrasounds, blood work, doctor visits) is easy. Many same day appointments available. The waiting room is very cozy and inviting and doesn't make it seem like you are at a "clinic."
Our total IVF cost included ICSI and genetic testing. Freezing remaining embryos was not included. Medications were not included either. We were quoted around $15,000 for one IVF session
We didn't get this far into our treatment yet.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I felt like a number at CRM. During my 3 IUI cycles and my IVF cycle I never saw my doctor [Dr. Lisa Erickson] one time. I had an issue with Lupron, and with that was able to speak with my Dr. on the phone. At one point during my IVF cycle monitoring a polyp was found on my cervix. This was very scary as I didn't want my cycle to be canceled. After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Erickson was compassionate and friendly, but I never saw her besides during our initial consult so I don't feel like I can evaluate her. But since I have to use 200 characters I will say, that if a clinic is so busy, that their doctors don't even see a patient through their treatment, then they should take on less patients. Why even have a doctor?
See your patients during their cycles so they feel confident. My doctor is now retired so it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure CRM still operates like this.
I felt like a number at CRM. During my 3 IUI cycles and my IVF cycle I never saw my doctor one time. I had an issue with Lupron, and with that was able to speak with my Dr. on the phone. At one point during my IVF cycle monitoring a polyp was found on my cervix. This was very scary as I didn't want my cycle to be canceled. After my appointment I was leaving the exam room and heard a nurse say 'ya you can just throw that cervical polyp chart over there'. This made me feel even more like a number, like I wasn't being treated with any type of customization and that they honestly didn't care if I got pregnant or not. I ended up getting pregnant, which of course I can't complain about, but I wouldn't choose this clinic again.
During my 3 IUI cycles I too femara to stimulate follicle growth. During my last cycle I had NINE measurable follicles (it still didn't work). During my IVF cycle I was on follistim, menepur and lupron. I only produced 7 follicles. It seems like if I was able to produce so many by just taking a pill, that I should have produced a lot more by the invasive injectables. My Dr. and I weren't on the same page as far as a goal for eggs. Again, we're thankful it worked, but have no eggs frozen which means another round of IVF.
I had a different nurse at each visit, so no primary. Also as I mentioned previously from the comments I overheard from a nurse, it's obvious they treat their patients as numbers and not real people.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
CRM has a high success rate, which is the whole point of fertility treatment so that's great. Patients are treated like numbers so if you're someone who needs compassion and to build a relationship with your doctor, this isn't the place for you. Nurses show no compassion and cycle you in and out quickly. I don't feel like treatment is customized.
We purchased the attine program for about $22,000
We transfered one embroy which is all we had.
None, Other
She [Dr. Erickson] knew who we were by name at every appointment and was always candid with us on what steps to take. She was always caring and very understanding of our needs and fears. She never rushed us in our appointments.... Since we had already home through 2 previous cycles with another doctor which resulted in the embryos becoming pregnancies but eventually miscarrying, she wanted us to try 5 day versus 3 day even tho I didn’t have as many eggs.
None, Other
I liked that she wanted to try different things with us and was willing to try them. Especially when our old doctor wouldn’t and made us feel like it wasn’t possible. She was very understanding of our fears and worries. She worked hard to explain thumbs to us and to make sure we understood the process.
Ask a lot of questions and never feel that a question is too dumb to ask. Lisa is great at explaining things. Trust her judgement.
She knew who we were by name at every appointment and was always candid with us on what steps to take. She was always caring and very understanding of our needs and fears. She never rushed us in our appointments.
Since we had already home through 2 previous cycles with another doctor which resulted in the embryos becoming pregnancies but eventually miscarrying, she wanted us to try 5 day versus 3 day even tho I didn’t have as many eggs. She explained her reasoning and we felt it was worth the try. She also suggested a frozen embryo transfer instead of fresh and have us background detail to support her reasoning which we understood and agreed to even tho it was added cost for us. She was very thorough with her supporting information and her own experience that we felt we could trust her judgement.
They were all nice. Front desk staff was very polite at all times and the lab staff was warm and welcoming each time i was there to draw blood.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic was located in a rather busy area however the parking structure and the way they provided free parking to patients was very easy to work with. I felt the staff was very professional and knowledgeable too. The patient accounts staff was also very good to work with and responsive. The front office staff was professional and welcoming which made the waiting area have a nice welcoming atmosphere. The lobby had a warm and professional look to it which made you feel as though they cared enough to make their patients comfortable.
Roughly 22,000
I do not have any comments because we did multiple embryo transfer without any issues.
2008 - 2010
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
At one point she [Dr Erickson] was forthright in telling us if we proceed and success is not achieved, it brings their clinical numbers down. That was hurtful, although truthful...it was not my job to care and it stung that she'd even ask us to. Talk about feeling like a number. When the day came for the one egg my body had produced to be attempted to be retrieved, in all our nerves riding on that 50/50 chance she told us we had....she wasn't even there. Without warning she had sent another doctor whom I had never before met. He, not she, was the one in my haze while awaking from anesthesia to tell me we had failed. And inevitably that I would never carry or birth a child. I was crushed on several levels.
2008 - 2010
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Erickson was lovely, kind, soft spoken. At our first visit I felt hopeful and in good hands. That feeling grew more and more distant with each visit and contact directly with her became almost extinct. Our hopes diminished not due to her efforts but directly related to the results. My egg quality was extremely low. I could feel that she was only proceeding due to my emotional inability to give up. At one point she was forthright in telling us if we proceed and success is not achieved, it brings their clinical numbers down. That was hurtful, although truthful...it was not my job to care and it stung that she'd even ask us to. Talk about feeling like a number. When the day came for the one egg my body had produced to be attempted to be retrieved, in all our nerves riding on that 50/50 chance she told us we had....she wasn't even there. Without warning she had sent another doctor whom I had never before met. He, not she, was the one in my haze while awaking from anesthesia to tell me we had failed. And inevitably that I would never carry or birth a child. I was crushed on several levels.
Ask her not to sugar coat and to BE SURE to inform you that you will not see her often. And ask her to please inform you should a physician other than herself be performing your procedures.
There is very little contact with the doctor who so warmly freets you at the beginning of this "journey". And the nurses are different every time you go in to the office...and their moods very. Tremendously.
Unfortunately in the last 6 years much of this has escaped me, although when going through it all you hang onto every word, learn and know every term, the cost of every drug and the names & numbers of every pharmacy and their prices... I recall Folistim pens...lots of them. I recall vials of Bravelle and then trying Lupron. And somewhere alon the line there was Menapur. It is quite blurry...and thankfully in the rear view mirror.
I wish I remembered their names because a few were fantastic! Warm, friendly and took the time to make you feel like you're a person. Some even like you are a person going through the toughest days of your life thus far-those nurses I wish I could go back and hug. Several were very clearly, busy. Even delivering the news that the one follicle that was there yesterday (yes 1) is suddenly gone and you are to wait weeks and then start all over. With zero emotion because the were busy washing up their hands so they could scurry on to the next patient. No compassion. How do you work here? Perhaps a blood bank would be more fitting for these nurses.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It's one of few and this was the only reproductive endocrinologist clinic I visited so I have nothing to compare it to. It may have been that I was not a quality patient in that my chances were so low from the get go with poor egg quality, but I still would like to think that doctors and nurses do what they do for the people that they can effect. Instead I felt like a disappointment to their "stats" and a number with each visit...loosing hope is devastating and having your "care team" not really care, is beyond words.
It was tough...feeling like a number.
Expensive
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Erickson was great - she communicated clearly and honestly - sometimes too honestly. She definitely "tells it like it is" and might be a bit blunt for some people. But I appreciated that we always knew exactly where we stood...I felt like she knew my name and my wife's name, remembered who we were friends with (other patients), and seemed to legitimately care about us...We did one unmedicated IUI, then five IUIs with Femara. When these were not successful, we moved to IVF and were successful in the first round.
PCOS, Unexplained
Be prepared to hear some blunt truths.
They were helpful, supportive, got back to you quickly, and as a lesbian couple, we always felt welcomed and included.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
There are a lot of doctors and nurses - it felt like we always got the information we needed, quickly, and I never had any trouble making appointments.
For IVF: Around $10 - $11K for the procedure, another $2-3K in medication co-pays, monitoring, etc. For IUIs we paid office visit and medication copays and sperm, but my insurance covered the rest.
She strongly encouraged us to transfer one, but acknowledged that most people choose to transfer two, and said it would be up to us. In the end, we only had one embryo, so it wasn't a decision we had to make.
2011 - 2013
Dr. Erickson always took the time to talk to me and explain things. She showed emotion and empathy with each failed cycle. She was genuinely happy for me when IVF finally worked. She said encouraging things to me....She was great. Very informative, honest, and caring. She took the time to call me personally with each pregnancy test result. She was smart and sensitive...They [CRM Mpls] are excellent doctors, extremely good at what they do. Very caring.
2011 - 2013
She was great. Very informative, honest, and caring. She took the time to call me personally with each pregnancy test result. She was smart and sensitive. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen to her advice.
I did 4 cycles of clomid and IUI, with trigger shot. Then three cycles of IVF, menapur, follistem, bravelle...can't remember exactly. Trigger shot. Lenapur (?) at some point. Transferred 3 fresh embryos at 5 days each cycle.
I can't remember details, but I always felt respected and cared for there.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are excellent doctors, extremely good at what they do. Very caring.
Approximately $3000 per IUI cycle and $17000 per IVF cycle. This was with the medications. Maybe $10000 for procedures and $7000 for meds.
She suggested I transfer 3 each time due to my age. I was fine with that.
2006 - 2012
She [Dr. Lisa Erickson] was honest yet kind. Even when having to deliver difficult news or poor outcomes based on our circumstances she never gave up on us since we had the tools to work with. And That was the most important thing to me...ended up getting pregnant on Met Forman and Clomid for me. As well as a bunch of vitamins and lifestyle changes for my husband’s in fertility issues.
2006 - 2012
She was honest yet kind. Even when having to deliver difficult news or poor outcomes based on our circumstances she never gave up on us since we had the tools to work with. And That was the most important thing to me.
Ask a lot of questions and never leave without fully understanding the next steps
Human! They were kind and compassionate
Luckily for us we had planned to do injections with our UI. But ended up getting pregnant on Met Forman and Clomid for me. As well as a bunch of vitamins and lifestyle changes for my husband’s in fertility issues.
Kind and compassionate. Always available by phone and able to call back when needed
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Everyone from the front desk to the doctors kind of compassion. They treated you like you were an individual and not just a number. Even though the waiting room is full of people and wait you didn’t know what they were going through you still felt unique in that clinic with the nurses and the staff and the doctor
Minimal. As I never got to the IUI OR IVF part.
No Experience. But she did say if we had to do IVF she would only transferred to embryos or one
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Lisa Erickson was the kindest doctor I have ever met. She treated me like I was her only patient ever...If she hadn't retired, I would've only recommend her. She explained everything in detail and she was very compassionate...I used donor embryo transfer with Dr. Lisa Erickson, so that was like the second half of an IVF cycle. I did 60 days of progesterone shots.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr Lisa Erickson is the kindest doctor I've ever met. She treated me like I was her only patient. If she hadn't retired, I would've only recommend her. She explained everything in detail and she was very compassionate.
Unfortunately, Dr. Lisa Erickson had retired.
All were great, I did not have a bad experience with the nurses or lab technicians.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic was located in a good location, easy access and parking, clinic was nice, clean, and organized. I never waited very long at all for any appt. I do not have a bad thing to say. I would recommend this clinic to anyone.
I paid around $10k under Dr Erickson. I paid about $30K overall
She recommended transferring 1 embryo, I chose to transfer 2 embryos, they both implanted, but I did lose one around 9 weeks. I gave birth to one healthy baby.