Medical SchoolU. of Florida
39141 Civic Center Driv
Fremont, CA 94538
1263 East Arques Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lisa Farah-Eways to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Eways is very professional and personable. She takes the time to explain everything in detail. I did not feel like she was rushing me out to get to her next appointment. I have my first fresh cycle IVF planned for next month. She did a hysteroscopy to remove a polyp 2 months ago, which went smoothly. She made me feel safe and taken care of. Great bedside manner. My only criticism is that I had a phone appointment schedule with her once and she called me 40 minutes after our scheduled time. In her message, she stated that she usually calls within 2 hours of the scheduled time. Nobody in her office told me there was a timeframe, so I was unable to take the call. We were able to connect later that day, however.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is great, but her schedule is packed and you have to wait several months for treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Eways is very warm and welcoming. She takes time to build rapport with her patients. I felt like she was an old friend I was catching up with by the end of our first meeting.
Describe the protocols Lisa Farah-Eways used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I have not yet started my treatment protocol yet. No results yet.
All of the nurses I encountered were very helpful, professional, and knowledgeable. One of them even went out of her way to ensure I got a call back from the Fremont clinic, and followed up with me later.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The doctors always seem to be running behind. I would plan on being there longer than you expect. If you are not meeting with a doctor, the appointments are much more timely. The staff is friendly and helpful. The clinic is clean and has up to date technology.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
About $500 for HSG, about $1000 for Hysteroscopy, $13,200 to book fresh cycle IVF
Describe Lisa Farah-Eways's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
She mentioned that she prefers eSET, since there is higher risk for complication throughout the pregnancy with multiples.
Sunnyvale
Dr. Farah Eways is a mixed bag...She talks very quickly and multi-tasks in the appointment (for example, she is explaining something to you, but is also typing and trying to set up some blood tests. I didn't like her "busy" personality, she is not calm, and that made me feel nervous and uncertain... I felt like I was rushed in the appointment, even though we were in there for a while, she talks a mile a minute. I wish she was more calm, a better listener, and explained all the different levels of infertility treatment...
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
see previous box for full review.
Change to Dr. Harris! He is the best one there. But I would never, ever do IVF at Kaiser. I would only stick to IUIs there. Their IVF is outdated compared to what is out there and their Fremont IVF center is a total mess (two inside sources told me this).
Dr. Farah Eways is a mixed bag. She seems fake with her empathy and tries to "connect" with you by hugging you when she meets you (awkward!). She talks very quickly and multi-tasks in the appointment (for example, she is explaining something to you, but is also typing and trying to set up some blood tests. I didn't like her "busy" personality, she is not calm, and that made me feel nervous and uncertain. Even my husband, who is pretty chill, told me that she was "strange". I felt like I was rushed in the appointment, even though we were in there for a while, she talks a mile a minute. I wish she was more calm, a better listener, and explained all the different levels of infertility treatment. I wasn't until I changed REs and went with Dr. Harris that he actually explained the treatment process and I understood it better. Kaiser can be fine for baseline treatments, like HSG, blood work, even Clomid/Menopur and IUI, BUT if you are thinking about IVF, I would go elsewhere. We did 8-9 cycles of IUI with various drugs at Kaiser (with the diagnosis of Unexplained Infertility) and it wasn't until we got a second opinion elsewhere, that we actually got a male factor dianosis and mild female diagnosis. We were very surprised/upset/enraged that two Kaiser REs did not find anything wrong with us, but another doctor did. We were just spinning our wheels for a year! We did an IVF consult with Dr. Harris and he's super nice and reassuring, but then we got a second opinion consult with Dr. Zouves in Foster City and he was the one who actually found "something" wrong with us, just with a simple telephone consult and reviewing our infertility files from Kaiser. The Kaiser docs and Dr. Zouves have a dramatically different plan for IVF. Kaiser is very, very basic with their IVF. Dr. Zouves is incredibly detailed and believes in getting the body ready with supplements, acupuncture, diet, and exercise. Kaiser docs told us that "there is no evidence" to support diet, exercise, and acupunture. That is BS! There is so much out there on lifestyle. Bottom line: Kaiser is great for BASIC stuff. I would not do anything BIG with them (infertility or otherwise). They tend to think IN the box and do not have the latest and greatest resources and opinions (they say they do). If you need IVF I would call Dr. Zouves. Just look at his success rates. We're starting with him for IVF and I just feel better knowing we are out of Kaiser. I also plan to change my insurance after this experience with go to Mills Peninsula for my ob/gyn.
First, I did a HSG to see if my tubes are open. Everything was normal. Second, she couldn't find anything "wrong" with us (someone else did 1.5 years later) so she started me with Femara (even though I ovulate beautifully on my own each month) and that only created at the most, 2 eggs. Not a big deal, but I did it 5 times unsuccessfully. The third round I did get pregnant, but it ended up being a blighted ovum (empty sac, no fetus). It wasn't until I suggested we switch to Clomid and lo and be hold, I was able to produce 5 eggs! But still no pregnancy. I don't remember the rationale for Femara, she said she just likes it better than Clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: You see all of them, they are fantastic!)
Nurse practioners are exceptional. They are warm, compassionate, and smart. They answer e-mails very promptly. The nursing staff was the best part of Kaiser. Doctors, not so much.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strengths: Derien and all the front desk staff are very, very nice and kind and organized. Nurse practioners are superb, andrology window (sperm drop off) staff are beyond nice and patient. Weaknesses: Very busy office, lots of patients, availability of afternoon appointments is low, doctors seemed overwhelmed and overbooked. Kaiser in general is not very detailed and cutting edge, they are just basic.
My plan with Kaiser for Infertility was 50 percent coverage. It wasn't too bad. It seemed pricy at first, but you get used to it and in the long run, it's pretty reasonable (if you actually get pregnant). We were not successful with Kaiser after 8-9 IUIs and it seemed as if we wasted a lot of money and were spinning our wheels month after month.
Sunnyvale
She [Dr. Farah-Eways] is very straight forward and gets the job done. She is very through andnis great at her job. We were very confident with her decisions and my treatment. If she felt something wasn’t right, she would adjust my protocol.... She is from the East Coast and she can talk a bit fast but we are used to that dialect being from the East Coast. People have mentioned on this page she multi-task and isn’t paying attention. I am going to say false. She is dictating notes and things that she needs you to do or she’ll email another doctor that’s treating you for something separate. She partners with your doctors to make sure you will have a healthy and successful pregnancy if successful.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is very straight forward and gets the job done. She is very through andnis great at her job. We were very confident with her decisions and my treatment. If she felt something wasn’t right, she would adjust my protocol.
She was very personable. My husband and I were very comfortable with her and made us feel welcome when we had appointments.
I don’t recall the protocol. We did freeze all and genetic testing. Half embryos were swarms and half were ICSI
All were great and love them.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Be patient. It’s a long process and doctors are booked up far in advance. Come ready with lot of questions for the doctors and nurses. They are a very caring and loving team. They made you feel comfortable being there and were compassionate. It’s a stressful and tiring process that they understand.
She explained the reason and through research behind success of single vs. multiple <40.
Sunnyvale
From our consult on she [Dr. Lisa Farrah-Eways] was very proactive in giving me plans for improve my egg quality before starting our IVF cycle, as to get the best result. She took my total of 2 produced eggs and created a positive pregnancy out one of them. I am so fortunate that my previous RE [Dr. Thomas Kulterman] highly recommended her and sent me her way.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
From our consult on she was very proactive in giving me plans for improve my egg quality before starting our IVF cycle, as to get the best result. She took my total of 2 produced eggs and created a positive pregnancy out one of them. I am so fortunate that my previous RE highly recommended her and sent me her way.
Trust her, she knows her stuff.
During my first monitoring appointment I started to cry when my ovaries weren't reacting to the drugs the way she wanted them to. She gave me a hug, and at the end of each appointment after that she would look me in the eye and tell me "You're doing a great job."
She had me on CoQ10 and DHEA for 2-3 months before starting our medicated cycle, and also had me start acupuncture to improve blood flow to my ovaries during that time (continued through retrieval and transfer). I was on Lupron for 12 days, and Follistim and Menopur for 10 days before retrieval. The Menopur dosage was increased about 4 to 5 days in while the other two stayed constant the whole cycle. I had 3 follicles during the cycle, only 2 produced eggs and both were mature. Both fertilized but only one made it to Day 5 transfer.
All very nice and understanding. They held an injection class where they were very patient in answering everyone's questions.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is very well organized. Everyone has a specific job and knows how to do it well.
$10,000 for fresh IVF cycle, $2,500 for ICSI procedure. $5,000 for medications at outside pharmacy.
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Farah-Eways] told me to always call or email her with any questions. when i did, she told me i should be calling the ivf nurses.
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
she told me to always call or email her with any questions. when i did, she told me i should be calling the ivf nurses. she is all bait and switch. if she thinks she has a patient that has a better chance at being successful and making her stats better then she will take your spot and give it to someone else.
stay away from her. she is poison. she will promise the world and then lie. she lacks compassion and is always in a rush. she is only worried about her own stats. she does not care about you, her ivf calendar is always full.
She is a total bait and switch md. she promised the world and then did nothing but critiscize. she promised she would get me in to her next cycle and then lied and said she never said that. she also wanted to take my spot on her calendar and give it to another patient.
they are they typical kaiser robots collecting a paycheck. they dont care about you either. they lack compassion.
$17k not including meds or pgs
Fremont
2012 - 2014
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Eways was very warm and kind and took a real interest in our success to become parents. She was always available via email and when we had visits she would give me a hug which made the process seem less clinical and more personal. She had a good bedside manner which we hadn't found in prior doctors.
2012 - 2014
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Sunnyvale
Dr Eways was very compassionate and explained things to me very thoroughly. She answered all mine and my husbands questions and was always honest on what the chances of us conceiving were... Dr Eways is very friendly, knowledgeable, sincere, accommodating and more. she's always keep informed on the questions i would ask. although i do wish she would have not rushed my treatment or appointments.... the nursing staff were great and kind.
How was your experience with Lisa Farah-Eways at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
the nursing staff were great and kind.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Clinic always clean and comforting . The reception staff was kind and understanding. The nurses were always compassionate and would answer questions without hesitation and if they didnt know the answers were great on getting back to you or finding out.
over $2,000