Medical SchoolHarvard
FellowshipColumbia
55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-834-3095
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Liyun Li to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Fertility Center to a friend?
Dr. Li is so caring. She didn't sugar coat things. She explained everything so thoroughly, and if we didn't understand, she clarified to ensure we did. Instead of seeing poor results online, she first called to explain what we would be seeing and why she thinks we got the results we did.... Dr. Li showed a genuine interest in us and was open to new things that we wanted to try the second time around. She always wrote very clear instructions on our charts so that when a new doctor picked it up on a weekend (when she wasn't working), t
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Li showed a genuine interest in us and was open to new things that we wanted to try the second time around. She always wrote very clear instructions on our charts so that when a new doctor picked it up on a weekend (when she wasn't working), they were able to understand it without any confusion. She was always on time, yet never rushed an appointment. There were times when I would be crying in her office, and she kept it together yet showed sympathy and care all at the same time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Ask a lot of questions because she will answer all of them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Li is so caring. She didn't sugar coat things. She explained everything so thoroughly, and if we didn't understand, she clarified to ensure we did. Instead of seeing poor results online, she first called to explain what we would be seeing and why she thinks we got the results we did. She worked very closely with my husbands doctor so everyone was on the same page, and she never rushed an appointment. She always followed through with questions we had that she couldn't answer and made sure we got answers as soon as possible whether it was from the financial team or the lab manager.
Describe the protocols Liyun Li used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We found out my husband suffers from azoospermia due to varicocele veins in the testes. He had the veins repaired, but sperm counts are still too low to conceive naturally. For my first egg retrieval, we used Menopur and Follistim, then Ganirelix and Lupron. They retrieved 38 eggs, 29 of which were mature. We had to do ICSI due to low sperm counts. We ended up having zero fertilization, meaning no eggs were fertilized. We aren't 100% sure why, but all parties assume it was due to my my husbands poor sperm quality. We then decided to try it again, and the second time to add Human Growth Hormone into the mix, and kept all other injections the same. We also tried oocyte activation the second time around to give the fertilization process an extra boost. They retrieved 47 eggs this time, and 39 were mature. We decided to inject 20 eggs with the best sperm we could, and freeze the other 19 eggs. This was my decision, and Dr. Li supported me in that. I just didn't want to have to do another egg retrieval if we experienced failed fertilization again on all eggs. We ended up having 11 eggs fertilize, and 4 made it to blastocyst. We sent all 4 for genetic testing, and all 4 are now frozen. We are getting ready to begin the transfer stage where we will transfer 1 embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jerilie Grajo)
I worked with Jerilie for both egg retrievals. She was caring, thorough, and always on top of my schedule and plan. She worked closely with the team, and communicated clearly to me and my husband.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
While the clinic feels a bit like a factory, they know their stuff, and everyone we've come in to contact with has been so nice. They always answer the phone, and wait times are non existent. I was crying at the check out counter one time, and they handed me a tissue. The staff is really top notch and the facilities are clean. It's a beautiful clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center.
This stuff isn't cheap! But, the financial coordinator explained what you were being charged and for what. They also tried to help you get coupons for injections. They also told me when I could get blood drawn at other labs that my insurance covered.
Describe Liyun Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
Because the underlying issue is on my husband's side, and we have 4 good embryos, my doctor suggests only transferring a single embryo.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
My husband and I were so pleased with the first consultation. Dr Li listened to our journey, made suggestions and always respect our feelings. My husband likes to have an analytical response on the probability outcomes and Dr. Li always gave him great answers...As a patient, I always felt that Dr. Li was there for me. We could schedule a phone call with her anytime we wanted to discuss something important, and the most difficult times, when i had the miscarriages she always took time to talk to us. She respected that i wanted to have a little time until i would feel better but at the time she would talk to her I felt the comfort that she knew what i was going thru and she cared for me.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
As a patient, I always felt that Dr. Li was there for me. We could schedule a phone call with her anytime we wanted to discuss something important, and the most difficult times, when i had the miscarriages she always took time to talk to us. She respected that i wanted to have a little time until i would feel better but at the time she would talk to her I felt the comfort that she knew what i was going thru and she cared for me. We would talk about what happened, and we would do other test like Endometrial Receptivity Array and other blood test to check Immune system issue etc. I always felt so much better after talking to Dr Li. After the transfer of my last embryo and an unsuccessful pregnancy, we had to think what to do. For my surprise, my company announced that our insurance plan added the Infertility treatment but unfortunately PFC is not in the insurance list clinics. The last call that we had with Dr. Li i was in tears and Dr Li said that my dream is the first priority that she will support me and understood that i have to choose another clinic because of the insurance coverage. Dr. Li is an amazing professional but also a wonderful human being. We always had her support and compassion in the years of our journey at PFC.
Dr. Li has lots of knowledge about the infertility issues. Make sure to schedule the appointments either in person or via phone. Make a list of all your questions because she will answer all of them.
In 2014, we decided to choose another Infertility clinic because we were going to move out from Texas and relocate to the Bay Area. After doing some research online, I liked the reviews of Pacific Fertility Center in San Francisco. I had no idea which doctor to pick and when i called to make an appointment on the day that we were available in SF it was Dr Liyun Li who was available. My husband and I were so pleased with the first consultation. Dr Li listened to our journey, made suggestions and always respect our feelings. My husband likes to have an analytical response on the probability outcomes and Dr. Li always gave him great answers. For instance , i had tried for the second time to retrieve my own eggs and check whether we could have a day 5 blastocyst, i knew that being over 40 it would be difficult but we wanted to try. We had a long conversation with Dr. Li about the results. Dr Li. explained every detail and always answered any question we had. When Dr. Li told us that we could still continue to try to retrieve my own eggs because we could get a good quality egg but it would take around 10 or more egg retrievals, she spoke my husbands language, giving us an explanation in the statistic way. We love Dr. Li and we will always be grateful that we had an opportunity to have her as our RE doctor.
I had 4 embryos - day 5 blastocyst and the protocol used was : 1. Ultrasound and blood test on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cycle 2. Start Delestrogene shots -every 2 or 3 days -0.2 ml 3. after 10 days ultrasound and blood test 4. Start Progesterone - Ethyl oleate 1 ml - 5 days prior to Embryo transfer 5. Emnbryo transfer after 5 days of Progesterone shots 6. Continue shots of progesterone every day, and delestrogene 2 x week 7 . after 9 days, blood test HCG Beta 8. if positive continue with progesterone and delestrogene until reach week 9
I don't know how i would survived without the Dr Lis Care team. When I had just a random question, i would send them an email and i always got a response on the same day. When i started to bleed when i was pregnant the nurse would call me in less than an hour and I could make an appointment if I felt something was wrong. I will always be grateful for a special nurse : Lindsay. She is my hero. She used to send me cards by mail, I used to cry with a smile on my face and felt so much happiness when reading her words. She was always checking on me after a negative HCG or a miscarriage and i felt a lot of comfort by having her there at PFC
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
I had to do research while I lived in Texas and here in the San Francisco area and i have to say that Pacific Fertility clinic is really a top on the service. Find below my points. 1. When you choose a new Infertility clinic and you are a new patient, usually you have to talk to a central office or a different number of the clinic. I experienced that i had to answer a questionnaire and leave a detail message on the answering machine, lots of clinics don't answer and you never talk to a human being to make the first consultation, HOWEVER at Pacific fertility center you always do talk to a human being and to make the first consultation appointment as well as any other appointment with your Doctor, Counselor etc. I am very impressed of how efficient the Clinic is 2. The Clinic is very clean and have an amazing decoration, you don't feel you are in the middle of a hospital. 3. While wait in the reception to be called, the view of the pier is incredible, there are lots of magazines for you to pick one and read, the music is very relaxing and you can get a hot beverage as well 4. I had to change the clinic and i need to send historical data , letter from the Counselor etc, i am still sending emails to PFC requesting documents and they are always in contact with me sending me what i need to proceed to the other clinic
I went thru the following procedures: 1. Egg retrieval : Medication around $4000 , each ultrasound $255 , each blood test $150 , hcg test $135 2. frozen Egg donor - total $21000 each embryo transfer : $2900 Embryo Transfer 950.00 US Guidance for Embryo Transfer 315.00 Assisted Hatching 685.00 Prep Embryos 575.00 Thaw Embryos 375.00 Progesterone - $360 3 vials Delestrogene - $230 each vial each ultrasound $255 , each blood test $150 , hcg test $135
I hear a lot of debates regarding to eSET and multiple, but my reaction about just do a eSET was positive, since the goal of the treatment is to have a health baby and a health mom, which for me it's sufficient to approve the eSET
IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Liyun Li] was always available to answer questions, in person, over the phone or email. She was aware of my personal situation beyond fertility and was friendly and conversational. She was good at explaining on my level along with science and statistics and was honest about "chance/luck" pkaying a role, for better or worse.
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Liyun Li at Pacific Fertility Center?
Please refer to my previous response
Ask questions and probe, don't hesitate to call or email with follow-ups.
She was always available to answer questions, in person, over the phone or email. She was aware of my personal situation beyond fertility and was friendly and conversational. She was good at explaining on my level along with science and statistics and was honest about "chance/luck" pkaying a role, for better or worse.
My first cycle was a fresh donor egg cycle requring 3 Rx of shots. In the second and 3rd cycle she recomended Prometrium via vaginal inserts, which i did not care fir and requested shots fir the 3rd round. She urged me to continue w/Prometrium vaginally due to the potentcy and proximity to the uterus it is applied. I took her suggestion hesitantly, however the 3rd round was a success, so worth it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey)
Very kind, sweet, attentive, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Biggest weekness is the egg donor agency. I would never recommend them. So much hardship was felt as we went through 2 donors who were discharged during my cycles for undisclosed medical reasons and the third declibed to oarticipate, causing us to lose one full year. The clinics response was that we had a bad stroke of luck. After investing $30k, you can imagine how poorly this went over with us, but we felt stuck. They had our money, so we had to keep working with them. Fortunately in the end ourfinal donor worjed out and we had 13 embryos frozen. The clinic side us top notch, frim the Dr's, nurses, staff, hours, i only wish all healthcare could br this good.
I believe the total with drugs was approx $18k
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center?
San Francisco
Dr. Li thoroughly answered any questions I had. She is not intimidating and is very patient. She is very kind and I felt she is very empathetic. Also, she smiles but is not overly professional like some doctors I've encountered. [At Pacific Fertility Center] $2000 for IUI, $25,000 to $30,000 approx for egg retrieval. $3,500 approx for each frozen embryo transfer. All approximations based on memory.
Not sure
Dr. Li seemed to sincerely care.
Unsure
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jerilee or Lindsay)
Patient
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
mostly a well organized system. Needed documentation should be checked well before beginning a cycle and documents needing witnessing could have been done while I was there for other appointments but was not planned for convenience of patient. They recently adjusted this to online signatures which they should have done a long time ago. Dumb that they make you make an appointment to speak with a financial advisor and all the financial advisor does is tell you in two sentences how much it will cost. They could just email this information, make you sign it that you understand and give you a number to call if you have questions instead of wasting your time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific Fertility Center.
Appointments were not made to be very convenient
I believe the facility's policy is based on age and they are strict on one embryo per cycle because of the health risk involved with multiples.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific Fertility Center?