Medical SchoolWake Forest
751 NE Blakely Drive
Issaquah, WA 98029
1101 Madison St.
Seattle, WA 98104
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lora Shahine to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific NW Fertility to a friend?
From the first time I met her [Dr. Lora Shahine] I felt so comfortable. You can tell she genuinely cares for her patients, getting to the cause of your fertility problems and coming up with an individual care plan to help achieve your end goal. I feel welcomed and listened to each time I’m with her and her clinical team...has a sweet demeanor, has great bedside manor and is very to the point. She is great at listening and answering every question I present. I began seeing her after my previous RE retired within the practice. The transition was seemless and I am so pleased with the attention to detail and protocol she has put in place for me.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine has a sweet demeanor, has great bedside manor and is very to the point. She is great at listening and answering every question I present. I began seeing her after my previous RE retired within the practice. The transition was seemless and I am so pleased with the attention to detail and protocol she has put in place for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Initially starting with a fertility consult can be very scary and intimidating and although she wasn’t my initial Dr on this journey I had to start over with a new protocol with her and I was immediately heard and cared for. She is relatable and incredibly knowledgeable. She is every active in the community, an author and advocate. Overall a great physician!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
From the first time I met her I felt so comfortable. You can tell she genuinely cares for her patients, getting to the cause of your fertility problems and coming up with an individual care plan to help achieve your end goal. I feel welcomed and listened to each time I’m with her and her clinical team.
Describe the protocols Lora Shahine used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Shahine has set up a FET protocol for my which included birth control pills, a saline sonogram, Lupron, Estrogen patches and Progesterone in Oil injections. Lupron was part of my protocol due to the suspicion of endometriosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Gray)
Very attentive and thorough in answering my questions and in a timely matter
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Front office staff hasn’t been calling to remind me of my upcoming appointments. Also, I have had a few issues with the billing department. Make sure you take notes and review billing statements. Thankfully I am very organized. Everyone is very friendly. The clinic is clean. And I’m always brought back on time or if not they have communicated with me. I appreciate that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility.
I did get a sheet with the 2018 FET cost estimate. I don’t have the specifics on hand but with meds it was around $6,000 per transfer.
Describe Lora Shahine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
All of the physicians with in the clinic agree that 1 healthy pregnancy at a time is best. Best for Mom and baby as a pregnancy with multiples run a higher chance of encountering risks. However, they will consider transferring 2 on a case by case basis.
Seattle
She [Dr. Shahine] does her homework about you prior so you don’t have to explain your story over and over. She is competent in her job, kind, compassionate, and direct. She really was amazing. She is willing to do what you want to do, or get you to the right people that you need. She works with outside facilities if you live outside the Seattle area.... She gave us the option of trying to do IVF with our own eggs but our chances of having a quality egg would be very low. If our end game was a healthy child she suggested we use donor eggs.
European, Other
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She does her homework about you prior so you don’t have to explain your story over and over. She is competent in her job, kind, compassionate, and direct. She really was amazing. She is willing to do what you want to do, or get you to the right people that you need. She works with outside facilities if you live outside the Seattle area.
You will love her. She is so kind, so caring. She is educated, direct and compassionate. She is prepared for your visit and treats you with respect and explains everything fully.
She is so kind but explains everything very well. She gets to the point but has compassion. She knew about us and didn’t have to look through a chart while she talked. She did her homework. She is amazing
She gave us the option of trying to do IVF with our own eggs but our chances of having a quality egg would be very low. If our end game was a healthy child she suggested we use donor eggs. But she wanted to make sure whatever choice we made she would go 100% toward that choice and do everything she could to make our dream come true
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Can’t remember her name)
The whole office was kind, welcoming and caring. The office was brightly lit wh big windows overlooking downtown seattle
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
They were prompt returning emails and phone calls. They were all so kind especially for crazy people like me with all my questions. They truly are great people. They have a candy dish at the front desk. Chocolate really does calm nerves when you are so nervous to be in a place like that. Everyone has smiles on there faces. They make you feel human
We got quotes for both and outside monitor IVF with and with PGS and quotes for outside monitoring donor cycles. Costs ranged from 22,000ish to 40,000 ish with and without medications
I understand the single versus multiple egg transfer. Dr Shahine’s clinic promoted single egg high quality transfer. The thought of multiples scared us so that eased our minds.
Seattle
Lora Shahine makes us feel like family every time we enter her office! WE love her deeply and her care for us shows in her words and actions.... She always has a smile on her face and cares for her patients deeply. She has been a light in our darkest hours and I am grateful for her. Even in the hard times she shows hope for us.... We used estrogen patches and Lupron first cycle but it affected my lining negatively so we went with estrogen and estrace and no Lupron and it helped! Once we transferred I was on estrogen, progesterone, estrace and aspirin. This ended in a Chemical pregnancy
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lora Shahine is a caring individual. She always has a smile on her face and cares for her patients deeply. She has been a light in our darkest hours and I am grateful for her. Even in the hard times she shows hope for us.
Know that you aren't just working with a doctor. You will be working with a friend.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Grey)
Emily has been so amazing! I am the patient that sends over a million emails a day and she answers every single one in a timely manner! She is always smiling at our appointments and laughing along with us. She is a gem and we love her dearly and once again we are grateful God picked her for our team!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a great clinic the staff, the lab techs, the blood drawers the nurses and main doctors are always there to help! I have no negatives! I would like to explain to a new patient that goes in expecting a baby the first round that it's not always like this and its a hard pill to swallow when it happens to you. But this clinic is there for you to help you get to your baby. Even with the struggles they are always comforting. Even when you just need to cry.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific NW Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were great for us. We live over an hour and a half a way and we had back to back appointments during the winter and they always would either see us earlier or get us in right on time because they understood our travel.
So far for our whole experience we have spent a grand total of 30,000.00 including retrieval and transfer. Meds we have spent around 15,000.00 through our pharmacy.
I trust our doctor and what she says will be best for my body.
2013 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Doctor shahine always took extra time with me was and explained everything throughly. She was patient with me and let us take our time in making decisions....We did an embryo donation. From the start there were many hoops to jump through - a very through psych evaluation for myself and my family and a very through physical evaluation...The only criticism I would have is that her schedule is very busy and doesn't always coincide with dates for procedures - but for me she was available 90% of the time.
2013 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I absolutely loved doctor shahine! She was patient and through with her information and very current with her knowledge. She was also Very compassionate. The only criticism I would have is that her schedule is very busy and doesn't always coincide with dates for procedures - but for me she was available 90% of the time.
I would go into the whole process with a open mind and a positive attitude - and I felt doctor shahine was good at fostering these.
We did an embryo donation. From the start there were many hoops to jump through - a very through psych evaluation for myself and my family and a very through physical evaluation to confirm that we were st the best possible starting place to Give the most ultimum results. I had to have a Procedure to remove scar tissue which pushed back the transfer procedure but in the long run this was a great preventive step to avoid miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa )
When we started our process for transfer the clinic had unfortunately had two coordinators leave for work related reasons. Alyssa was not assigned to us but in hearing our frustrations she took us on and stayed with us all the way through the process and even contacted us after our baby was born to follow up! She was incredible!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest fertility clinic is a great spot to go if you want individual attention. This office has a great small community feeling with cutting edge current knowledge. They remember your name - ask about how your doing and actually care. If you don't want to feel like a number being passed through a conveyer belt system PNW fertility if for you.
The ebryo transfer with medications was about 5k and then the procedure to remove scar tissue was about 1500$ after insurance.
I liked the fact that they promote single transfer - doctor Shahine's rational for it was that the risk didn't out weight the small chance of benefit. I being an older mom the risk of caring multiples to a full healthy term didn't justify the small percent bump of likely hood of implantation that you might get from transferring two.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is the best doctor I've ever worked with. She is competent, experienced, honest, compassionate and open minded. We came to her clinic because of male factor issues and after a terrible experience at another fertility clinic that left me hospitalized for 8 days with severe OHSS. After throughly reviewing my history, Dr. Shahine developed a treatment plan that would minimize my risk of hyperstimulating again while still recruiting plenty of eggs. Her plan worked, we had a great retrieval and my discomfort was very minimal. She and her team checked in on me frequently after my retrieval to make sure my recovery was going well. We have not yet had success with any of our frozen transfers, but I only attribute this to us just being on the wrong side of luck so far and I'm confident things will work out soon. Through all of the ups and down, Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility have been attentive, compassionate and encouraging. Dr. Shahine has even called me personally on many occasions to answer my questions and reassure me that we are moving forward in the right direction. She is hopeful, yet honest; frank yet sensitive and I would recommend her to anyone seeking help in their fertility journey.
If things don't work out right away, don't despair, stay the course. The infertility journey is often longer than any of us would hope or imagine but you are in good hands with Dr. Shahine and the staff of Pacific Northwest Fertility.
Definitely like a human. Dr. Shahine is incredibly knowledgeable on all aspects of fertility treatments and I always felt confident in her ability to assess our situation and come up with a proper treatment plan. We've had some bad luck during our infertility journey and Dr. Shahine has been there every step of the way(including calling me personally and letting me talk her ear off for nearly an hour!) to make us feel supported and to provide encouragement to stick with it.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest Fertility is a fantastic clinic. Everyone on the staff clearly takes the "customer service" part of their job very seriously. The front desk staff, the nurses, the phlebotomists...everyone there is polite and makes you feel comfortable. I've always been seen promptly and the one time I had to wait, I was given snacks, water and magazines. I appreciate their attention to detail and their focus on positive patient experiences.
PCOS, Unexplained
When I overstimulated with 41 eggs on retrieval she [Dr. Lora Shahine] recommended a freeze all so my body could adjust first even though I was disappointed. It was the best thing for me. I'm glad she had my back...She explained the process and diagnosis thoroughly. She made recommendations along the way and was honest with expectations. She was compassionate and thorough.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She explained the process and diagnosis thoroughly. She made recommendations along the way and was honest with expectations. She was compassionate and thorough. When I overstimulated with 41 eggs on retrieval she recommended a freeze all so my body could adjust first even though I was disappointed. It was the best thing for me. I'm glad she had my back.
Choose a doctor that is a good fit for you. Dr Shahine was amazing and I felt truly blessed to have her on my journey.
She genuinely cared about how I felt through the process and was honest about the expectations. She shared in our joy and excitement during pregnancy.
After 4 failed IUI's with another clinic I came to Pacific NW Fertility and met with Dr Shahine because I had a recommendation. She redid all my tests and then suggested IVF with ICSI to save time and money and take away all the factors of unexplained infertility that she couldn't diagnose. We did a low dose medication cycle that my body responded well too and got 16 amazing quality embryos. 1st transfer of 1 embryo resulted in pregnancy. 4 years later we used another frozen embryo from same cycle and were successful.
Our IVF coordinator Melinda was a little dry and hard to communicate with but was responsive to calls and emails. Probably just a personality conflict.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The phone scheduling staff is always pleasant and quick to answer phone. Nurses and techs were always smiling and in a good mood
About $15k for first cycle with ICSI plus meds and $4k for second frozen cycle
It was our decision and she said it was up to us. My husband wasn't on board for twins so we did one
Seattle
Dr. Shahine was always completely open and honest with me and my partner. She welcomed us into her care, and was a huge advocate and supporter of our desire to have a family. She gave us the facts, and prepared us for the road we had ahead of us....I always felt like I was receiving personalized care from not only Dr Shahine, but her entire team [Pacific NW Fertility] as well...The initial recommendation was to go straight to IVf, as I have diminished ovarian reserve and low quality eggs.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I would tell other patients to trust her plan
I always felt like I was receiving personalized care from not only Dr Shahine, but her entire team as well
The initial recommendation was to go straight to IVf, as I have diminished ovarian reserve and low quality eggs. We knew iui was unlikely to work, and Dr Shahine warned that we would likely get tired and overly stressed from all the failed treatments. Due to insurance, we opted to start IuI, even if it failed, just to move on to IVF. Dr Shahine was supportive of this decision, regardless. I was on femara, and then did 3 rounds of IUIs. 2 were unsuccessful, 1 resulted in a pregnancy, but I miscarried around 5.5 weeks. From there, we began the preparations for ivf. I was on birth control for a couple of weeks, and once we did a suppression check, I moved on to the follositim and mini hcg injections. I responded much better to treatment than anticipated- and when we got to egg retrieval, we had 11 eggs. 6 fertilized, and 2 made it to day 5 blast. Since my estrogen was high, we did not do a fresh transfer - we froze both. We scheduled the first transfer about a month+ from frozen date. The first transfer went well, and I got a positive beta blood test - but unfortunately, it did not last. We did the second transfer a couple of weeks later, and it has worked! Currently pregnant, in my second trimester.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Rudolph)
My nurse, and the entire team, was absolutely amazing. Emily is so compassionate, so smart and so incredibly organized. She took the time to return my phone calls, even into the evening hours. She answered my emails within hours of sending one. She gave me such clear instructions on every step of the way, I never got overwhelmed. Emily was so supportive along this journey - laughing with us when we needed laughter, crying when we needed extra tears, and being extra brave for us, when I needed encouragement.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The office is well organized, the staff is all really nice, and the finance counselor is great - she helped us navigate through all of the insurance claims. It's nice that the facility is in the hospital, and the office itself is really nice!
We were lucky to have insurance - All in, we ended up spending about $10k
Seattle
Strengths [of Dr. Lora Shahine]: Caring, knowledgeable and compassionate. Optimistic and positive. Open to alternative therapies to support fertility treatments. Clearly explains procedures and makes you feel at ease. Has used fertility treatments herself, so she understands what you are going through emotionally and physically. Weaknesses: Too positive sometimes.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Strengths: Caring, knowledgeable and compassionate. Optimistic and positive. Open to alternative therapies to support fertility treatments. Clearly explains procedures and makes you feel at ease. Has used fertility treatments herself, so she understands what you are going through emotionally and physically. Weaknesses: Too positive sometimes.
My advice is the same for all fertility patients, regardless of doctor: Be prepared with questions and don't be afraid to ask the "silly" question. Be your own advocate - you know your body, and if you don't feel like a course of treatment is working, say so. Ask for other options or changes you can make to improve your outcomes.
Dr. Shahine took the time to explain all treatments and answer all our questions. We never felt rushed during an appointment. When our first embryo transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test, Dr. Shahine called me to express her disappointment at the failure and belief that we would ultimately get pregnant. She genuinely cares about her patients and helping you create a family. She's gone through IVF, so she is uniquely able to understand how you are feeling, both physically and emotionally.
IVF, egg retrieval: 9 days of mini-HCG and Follistem; added Ganirellex on day 5 FET #1, programmed cycle: Delestrogen every three days (estrogen patches were recommended, but we were trying to save money). Delestrogen dosage decreased after initial check because levels too high. Progesterone-in-oil (ethyl oleate) five days before transfer. Diazapam for embryo transfer. Negative pregnancy test. FET #2, natural cycle: Tried two natural FET cycles but both were canceled because estrogen levels failed to get high enough and follicles stopped growing. FET #2, programmed cycle: At Dr. Shahine's recommendation, returned to the programmed cycle and used estrogen patches instead of delestrogen injections. Patches resulted in more consistent estrogen levels that rose gradually and within acceptable parameters. Progesterone-in-oil changed to sesame oil base because ethyl oleate base was irritating and causing lumps; sesame oil more comfortable for me. Diazapam for transfer. Negative pregnancy test. FET #3, programmed cycle: Same medicines and protocol for this transfer. Major change was switching to a prenatal with methylfolate instead of folic acid. Positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Danielle was always available to answer my questions, clearly described the process and how to administer injections, and her calendars kept us on track. She was personable, compassionate and friendly. I had excellent interactions with the entire nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Professional, comfortable, clean, helpful staff. Parking garage. Patient care separated from lab, private rooms to talk about finances with financial counselors.
IVF and one FET: About $16,000 + medications (about $4,000) + genetics screening (about $5,000) FET #2 and #2: About $5,000 + medications (about $2,000)
Since we elected to have all embryos screened through PGS, Dr. Shahine recommended only transferring one embryo at a time. Her rationale was that transferring two screened embryos did not increase the success rate, only the chance of multiples. And she recommended we try to avoid multiples if possible because it's more stressful to both the mother and babies.
Seattle
Dr Shahine was the best and made going through the IVF process as easy and stress free as possible. She spent time going over each step in detail and explaining why things wet done and any risks and benefits involved. She was able to answer all of our questions effectively and in terms we could understand. She was compassionate and encouraging but also gave us realistic expectations. Infertility sucks and it is a scary process but Dr Shahine makes it as easy as possible and you are in great hands with her.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Shahine and her staff were accessible to answer all my questions and took time to make sure we were comfortable with every step of the IVF process.
Started B/C pills and took them for about three weeks. Had a baseline ultrasound and blood work done. My injectable drugs to start were Follistim and HCG. After a couple ultrasound and blood work monitoring appointments, Ganirelix was added. I used injectable progesterone and estrogen patches. We had 18 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 9 fertilized with ICSI, 3 that made it to 5-day blastocysts. We transferred two embryos and have one frozen. We got pregnant with one baby, had a great pregnancy and he was born healthy 9 months later!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle )
Danielle was amazing! She was our main contact before, during and after our IVF journey. She was easy to get ahold of and would always get back to me promptly. She was a great source of information and encouragement.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific NW Fertility was great! The staff was very professional and organized. It is a busy clinic so trying to get an initial appt. can take a couple weeks.
Initial visit was around $250 Total cost of all IVF treatments (ultrasounds, bloodwork, egg retrieval, ICSI fertilization, embryo transfer, post-transfer ultrasounds etc) almost $16,000. Medications from MDR pharmacy (our insurance covered some) was about $2500.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
I had a million questions for Dr. Shahine, and she was wonderfully patient with us. I was learning as much as I could from her but also from internet support groups; I was bringing that information back to her. Unsurprisingly the information I was getting from the support groups was not inaccurate but not necessarily applicable to me or otherwise was not the course that Dr. Shahine recommended for me; each time she was incredibly patient in explaining to us her view on the given approach or procedure while remaining open to our choices. As a result we felt like we were getting a carefully thought out practical approach that reflected the best of what's available in this industry for our particular situation. She also showed us so much compassion throughout the rollercoaster that is infertility and repeat pregnancy loss, both in our lows but also in our highs.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you are worried your questions aren't relevant. She will be patient and thoughtful and not rush you.
Dr. Shahine always allowed us as much time as we needed with her to ask as many questions as we might have about the process, the likely outcomes, and anything else on our minds. And when our first transfer failed, she was the one who called to tell us directly and to answer any questions we had. After our son's birth we sent a birth announcement and she called and emailed to congratulate us.
We sought Dr. Shahine due to her specialization in recurring pregnancy loss. We first completed RPL genetic testing to try to identify a specific cause. The screening did not indicate a specific reason for the losses, supporting the conclusion (and Dr. Shahine's suspicion) that the recurrent losses were due to chromosomal abnormalities. We followed an antagonist protocol (suppressed using birth control pills, followed by stimming with Folistim and mini-HCG, followed by Ganirelix). In the first round of IVF we retrieved 15 eggs; 11 were mature and 10 fertilized. Fertilization was done using ICSI (required because we were doing PGS testing). Of those 10 embryos, 6 made it to 5-day blastocyst, were biopsied for PGS testing and then frozen. Only one of those was found to be chromosomally "normal." A frozen transfer was necessary because of the timing of PGS results from the third party lab. Because I am sensitive to medication and prefer to minimize it, Dr. Shahine offered (and we opted for) a natural FET (birth control pills and progesterone were the only medications). We transferred the one "normal" embryo but had a negative pregnancy test. With no additional "normal" embryos, we decided to do a second IVF cycle. Because we obtained the results were were looking for in terms of retrieval in the first cycle, Dr. Shahine recommended the same protocol for the next cycle. We retrieved 17 eggs; 15 were mature, 8 fertilized, and 6 made it to blastocyst (5 on day 5 and one on day 6). Of those, 2 were chromosomally "normal." We transferred a single "normal" embryo, which led to a successful pregnancy (singleton birth). We had the option to know the sex before transfer but opted to wait until after we had a positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Call)
Our care coordinator was Danielle Call. I really hit it off with Danielle and felt like I was in completely capable hands with her. She was so kind, caring, and patient. She walked me through every step of stimming and triggering (even in my second cycle) like I was the only patient she needed to see. She called me during my third trimester just to see how I was doing with the pregnancy. I hugged her when we had our final appointment when I "graduated" from PNWF to prenatal care.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I liked this clinic. It is clean and comfortable, with highly professional staff from the receptionists to the phlebotomists to the sonographers to the financial advisors. In all of the many months (more than a year) that I was a patient of PNWF, my only disappointment with the care there was when I had a miscarriage and brought in the products of conception for testing; I'd called ahead but when I arrived the staff at the front desk was apparently unaware of why I was there and I had to wait in the waiting room, distraught, with my bag containing the specimen jar with the products of conception. While that could have been handled with much more compassion, it was definitely inadvertent.
We were lucky to have insurance cover a large portion of our costs (approx. $30K was covered by insurance) and we were out of pocket maybe $10K in total (for meds, two retrievals, PGS testing of 12 blastocysts, and two transfers).
2011 - 2013
11 IUI, 3 IVF, Surrogacy
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
All of the physicians and ARNPs are wonderful but we are particular fans of Dr. Shahine. She is Stanford trained, wickedly smart and direct, yet she considers the couple and what they need. She also thinks about the whole person and what a toll infertility treatment can take on the person and the couple...Tell her where you are physically, mentally and emotionally and be really honest about your concerns / fears. She knows her stuff...
2011 - 2013
11 IUI, 3 IVF, Surrogacy
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine was thoughtful and honest. The most professional, evidence based fertility clinic in the PNW. We had a long process and every step of the way PNWF took care of us. Even when we had some horrible news and had to make tough decisions. They explained the facts, were kind and compassionate and got us in when we needed to be. All of the physicians and ARNPs are wonderful but we are particular fans of Dr. Shahine. She is Stanford trained, wickedly smart and direct, yet she considers the couple and what they need. She also thinks about the whole person and what a toll infertility treatment can take on the person and the couple. We cannot speak highly enough of PNWF.
Dr. Shahine asked asked about my physical, emotional and mental health. She suggested add'l support. She asked how things were going with my marriage. She answered all of my questions (and I had a lot of them). she called me at home on Sat, the day we received a negative pregnancy test after our 4th (and final) IVF when I was crushed. It was not her normal day to work. She emailed me when we had a positive pregnant test. And she dealt with all of the complications we had directly and professionally.
IUI was with letrozole. The last one (Where I got pregnant w/ my twins) was injectables + a trigger. It was a while ago so I don't remember the IVF protocols. One used lupin and it was my worst response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda)
Compassionate, thorough, flexible on how they communicated (phone vs. email. Email was easier given my job)
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
All of the drs are great. They have some of the best embryologists. Some insurances won't cover them. Location / parking is a bit of a pain.
Other, Unexplained
She [Dr. Shahine] is very compassionate and is humble. She will refer to other doctors to ensure you are receiving the best care....I had an issue with thin lining and she referred with another doctor to add a medication to help. It appear to be helpful such as adding trental to my protocol for a month. It did help get my lining thicker for a transfer.... She is great, although a couple of times I felt rushed out of the appointment...
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is great, although a couple of times I felt rushed out of the appointment or that she didn't want to treat me any longer due to my recurrent issue. I could have been me feeling that but all other times she was really great.
If something doesn't work the first time, push to find a new protocol. Take notes as over time you may be repeating a protocol and something my be missing that is a big piece of your puzzle.
She is very compassionate and is humble. She will refer to other doctors to ensure you are receiving the best care.
She is very well organized and is responsive to all questions, especially when I have a million questions!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic is timely and flexible on their schedules. You can see other doctors and I like how they meet daily to consult on all patients to discuss as a group on your care. It helps keep things consistent and if they are out of the office, someone can pick up where they left off. They operate very seamlessly.
I was able to make early monitoring appointments. It was helpful to not conflict with my work schedule.
Fortunately most of the costs were covered by insurance except for genetic testing which were $2500 and miscellaneous costs that was not covered by insurance approximately around $1000 overall.
Seattle
Lora [Shahine] was great at explaining each procedure and all of our options. She was very candid and patient. We never felt rushed with her time and always felt good leaving her office. When our IUI didn't work, Lora explained the possibilities as to why it may not have worked and took her time in explaining what future course of actions we could choose from...Lora was always so great with both my husband and I. Was in constant contact, never made us feel like we were asking silly questions, and always made us feel like we were a priority to her.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Lora was great at explaining each procedure and all of our options. She was very candid and patient. We never felt rushed with her time and always felt good leaving her office. When our IUI didn't work, Lora explained the possibilities as to why it may not have worked and took her time in explaining what future course of actions we could choose from.
Trust her and listen to all she has to say.
Lora was always so great with both my husband and I. Was in constant contact, never made us feel like we were asking silly questions, and always made us feel like we were a priority to her. Lora still keeps in contact even though I moved to the other side of the state.
I used letrozol to help regulate my period which worked wonderfully. My husband stored his sperm as he travels for work and we did an IUI. Before the IUI I received a trigger shot to help trigger ovulation and did an ultrasound to see where I was at in my cycle. The IUI unfortunately didn't work but we continued with letrozol and ended up getting pregnant naturally.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: I unfortunately do not remember )
I had two different nurses communicate with me during my time with Lora. Each were prompt in their replies to my emails and were great at answering any questions hat I had.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic has amazing hours! It is clean and the staff is very friendly.
I am not 100% sure but I want to say around 1000-1500
Seattle
Dr. Shahine is one of the most trustworthy, kind, caring and intelligent doctors my husband and I have ever known. She truly cares about you and understands the gravity and complexity of undergoing fertility treatment, not to mention the emotional toll it can take...Dr. Shahine is incredibly inclusive, never treats you like a number and truly acts as a partner in your care. She makes it a point to explain every procedure, lab test and result with great care and compassion.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
It's okay to be emotionally vulnerable. Dr. Shahine will not judge you and is there to support you through this journey.
Gonal F Pen Progesterone in Oil 100mg/mL
Danielle was my primary care coordinator/RN and she was fantastic in this role. She is extremely knowledgeable, kind, approachable and organized. No question was a "dumb" question and she treated each hurdle in my IVF journey, sensitively and with compassion.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The doctors and nursing staff (medical assistants, front desk staff and phlebotomy included) are all fantastic. It's evident that the staff communicates well with one another (internal patient processes are clear and streamlined) and they are always kind, helpful and knowledgeable in their interactions with patients. I did run into challenges with the PNWF billing specialists (duplicate charges, improper billing to insurance, etc.) - but I was always able to resolve these issues.
2010
During my second IUI attempt she [Dr Lora Shahine] flat out said she didn't know what to do with me and asked if I had considered egg donors. She had not done any testing on me to find out if this was something I should consider. Needless to say it scared me very much. I left the clinic, had testing done at another clinic, learned I had a thyroid imbalance which was easily corrected and got pregnant immediately after.
2010
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine was not the doctor assigned to me. During my second IUI attempt she flat out said she didn't know what to do with me and asked if I had considered egg donors. She had not done any testing on me to find out if this was something I should consider. Needless to say it scared me very much. I left the clinic, had testing done at another clinic, learned I had a thyroid imbalance which was easily corrected and got pregnant immediately after.
Be careful and get a second opinion. From what I have heard she treats her own patients a lot better.
I was assigned another doctor, but was transferred to Dr. Shahine when he was out. I felt like she was very rushed and could care less about my care.
femara + IUI.
The nurses seemed to thaw the sperm vials way too long before the actual procedure. They also wanted to do an IUI exactly 24 hours after trigger even though not every patient ovulates then.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
It looks nice from the outside.
I do not remember the cost. I do know it was cheaper than other clinics.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility?
2012 - 2016
Dr. Shahine is the most warm personable Dr. She understands how important and how hard these procedures are. She listens to you and give her honest opinion. I trust her judgements. She helped us getting our miracle baby. She will be 2 next week. I cant show enough gratitute to Dr. Shahine and her clinic.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She always answers any questions and concerns you have. She will explain risks and options. I love her! She is the best Dr. And I cant say enough good things about her!
Never hesistate to ask questions. She always appreciate your research and understanding.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The staffs are great and easy to communicate with.
2012 - 2013
Absolutely amazing. She [Dr Shahine] is a true professional and clearly knows the science. She is open about what they do and don't know. She's supportive and a great listener. She also knows when to assert things and be direct....>$50,000 (4 IVF cycles and 3 IUIs)
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Absolutely amazing. She is a true professional and clearly knows the science. She is open about what they do and don't know. She's supportive and a great listener. She also knows when to assert things and be direct.
Ask her what you should do and then listen.
Professional Asked about my physical, mental and emotional health Called me at home, checked in via email Always seemed to remember what was going on in my life Encouraged me to do things to take my mind off the cycle
>$50,000 (4 IVF cycles and 3 IUIs)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr Shahine is extremely professional and empathetic. I truly felt she was supportive throughout the process...She was a very caring, compassionate Doctor. The only downside was that the IVF procedure failed, much to her surprise, with only 4 eggs retrieved.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Ask about all options and understand all potential areas for failure.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Extremely quick, flexible appointment times.
Approx $21,000 for IVf cycle Approx $800 per IUI cycle