6.6

206.515.0000
1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104
206.515.0000

Dr. Shahine considered all my previous testing and medical files from my previous RE and fully reviewed everything before we came in for our consult. I felt that she really took her time to familiarize herself with our case and that means a lot. She had so much compassion and approached our current situation with kindness.... She suggested we change the dosage on some meds due to those complications. This clinic also times the IUIs differently than my last clinic to be anytime on the day after trigger shot instead of a set 36hrs after trigger like my previous clinic's IUIs.
PNWF is a much larger clinic than my previous clinic. There are many doctors on staff here and most of your appointments are handled by the nurses. As a new patient, you'll most likely not meet with your doctor right away. You meet with a nurse first and do any testing required first. (i.e.: RPL bloodwork) Then you will see Dr. Shahine to review those results at a later time. So it may take you several weeks to get in for the first appointment with the nurse and then several more weeks after that to actually meet with your Dr.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is a very active person in the field of fertility medicine. She is very active on her social media Instagram to help raise awareness for infertility including available grants and support groups. She is also a specialist for recurrent pregnancy loss and an author. The reason why I seeked her out for a second opinion on my recurrent pregnancy loss was to gain some new insights on why I've miscarried two babies already in the last two and a half years. So far, I'm not sure I've learned anything new, that I haven't heard from my previous RE. To be honest, I did not expect her to have the magic pill that would fix RPL, but maybe we'll learn more as our treatment at this new clinic moves forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Shahine is good about making sure you have your questions answered. She is also reassuring and encouraging. I say this about any Dr or situation, to be your own advocate and bring those hard questions to them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Describe the protocols Lora Shahine used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
After reviewing and discussing our last IUI treatments with our first RE, she noticed the dosage of the fertility meds and some complications I had. She suggested we change the dosage on some meds due to those complications. This clinic also times the IUIs differently than my last clinic to be anytime on the day after trigger shot instead of a set 36hrs after trigger like my previous clinic's IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Peterson)
Communication at this clinic is mainly with your nurse coordinator or the front office relaying your phone calls and scheduling your next appointments. No portal message system but you can email your coordinator directly. So far they do call back within reasonable time. It does seem as though, when your taking to a nurse who is not your set coordinator, there is some mix ups and misunderstandings.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility.
Medications for a hybrid oral/injection cycle ran about $440 and the IUI and sperm prep were covered at 80% by our insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
Communicating with a nurse who is not your own nurse coordinator may inform you with conflicting information regarding your treatment. Which is what happened when I asked about getting a specific prescription filled by a certain time, and was told I wouldn't be taking it on a day that I actually was scheduled to start taking it.
Seattle
We underwent 3 IUI treatments, with a trigger HCG shot [protocol with Dr. Shahine]. They were extremely painful and bloody, apparently I have a "tricky cervix". Then we underwent IVF, using birth control pills, Lupron subcutaneous injections, estrogen patches, progesterone intramuscular injections. I think it was the pretty standard set of drugs with usual doses...is not a fan of multiple embryo transfers for anyone, but especially for people with kidney or heart problems.
The care coordinator, and nursing staff [at Pacific NW Fertility] were all very great. They were compassionate, attentive, and very organized...The costs for the IUI treatments was around $3000 or $4000, the whole process for IVF was about $58,000...Appointment times are easy to get and make and there are several options for before or after work. One weakness of the clinic is that I feel they are so busy that sometimes you feel like a number. I have been going there for over a year and seeing the same ladies in the front desk, and the same nursing staff, but I still feel like they don't even know my name.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Lora Shahine came highly recommended to me from several friends. I was initially impressed by her, but as my husband and I started coming more often to PNW Fertility, we realized that we only saw her the one time we initially met her. All my IUIs and scans were done by other practitioners. When I voiced concern and wanted to meet with her, we were scheduled for an hour appointment with her to discuss starting IVF. My husband and I took the day off work, and Dr. Shahine was about 50 minutes late and we felt very rushed in our meeting with her. It was very hard to get a hold of her even once we had started IVF, and we basically felt connected to our IVF coordinator but not Dr. Shahine so much. As time has gone on, I feel like Dr. Shahine has been more involved with our care, and we've formed a decent relationship. All in all, it just seems to us as though she is very busy, and we are not important enough.
One piece of advice I'd give a prospective patient is to meet with multiple providers, and then go to the one with whom you feel the best connection. I went with recommendations of friends but I feel like maybe it just wasn't the right fit for us, as we prefer very involved practitioners.
In the beginning, I felt like a number. I felt like several times my calls weren't answered back and I sometimes felt forgotten. As my journey went on, I felt more of a connection with Dr. Shahine, and felt as though I started to matter, and our infertility journey continued to be unproductive.
We underwent 3 IUI treatments, with a trigger HCG shot. They were extremely painful and bloody, apparently I have a "tricky cervix". Then we underwent IVF, using birth control pills, Lupron subcutaneous injections, estrogen patches, progesterone intramuscular injections. I think it was the pretty standard set of drugs with usual doses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
The care coordinator, and nursing staff were all very great. They were compassionate, attentive, and very organized.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Pacific Northwest Fertility Seattle is a beautiful location. The staff is very friendly. The office is clean and well run. Appointment times are easy to get and make and there are several options for before or after work. One weakness of the clinic is that I feel they are so busy that sometimes you feel like a number. I have been going there for over a year and seeing the same ladies in the front desk, and the same nursing staff, but I still feel like they don't even know my name.
Describe Lora Shahine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
I think Dr. Shahine is not a fan of multiple embryo transfers for anyone, but especially for people with kidney or heart problems.
Seattle

She [Dr. Shahine] is very compassionate and is humble. She will refer to other doctors to ensure you are receiving the best care....I had an issue with thin lining and she referred with another doctor to add a medication to help. It appear to be helpful such as adding trental to my protocol for a month. It did help get my lining thicker for a transfer.... She is great, although a couple of times I felt rushed out of the appointment...
This clinic [Pacific NW Fertility] is timely and flexible on their schedules. You can see other doctors and I like how they meet daily to consult on all patients to discuss as a group on your care. It helps keep things consistent and if they are out of the office, someone can pick up where they left off. They operate very seamlessly.... I was able to make early monitoring appointments. It was helpful to not conflict with my work schedule.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is great, although a couple of times I felt rushed out of the appointment or that she didn't want to treat me any longer due to my recurrent issue. I could have been me feeling that but all other times she was really great.
If something doesn't work the first time, push to find a new protocol. Take notes as over time you may be repeating a protocol and something my be missing that is a big piece of your puzzle.
She is very compassionate and is humble. She will refer to other doctors to ensure you are receiving the best care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Gray)
She is very well organized and is responsive to all questions, especially when I have a million questions!
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic is timely and flexible on their schedules. You can see other doctors and I like how they meet daily to consult on all patients to discuss as a group on your care. It helps keep things consistent and if they are out of the office, someone can pick up where they left off. They operate very seamlessly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Pacific NW Fertility.
Fortunately most of the costs were covered by insurance except for genetic testing which were $2500 and miscellaneous costs that was not covered by insurance approximately around $1000 overall.
Seattle
She [Dr. Laura Shahine] did not have much to say about my eggs, wanted to move on to donor eggs. I did ask her to slow down and take me through her thought process which she did. She is always very encouraging in subsequent appointments.... Do not hesitate to slow her down if she has skipped ahead in the process. She’s just using her experience to do so but your experience in getting there is just as important. It was a major thing for is to think about donor eggs, and 10 months after she first mentioned, we finally ready.
[Pacific NW Fertility Staff] Always answer calls promptly, never lost in hold-land like the larger clinics. Nurses are very knowledgeable and detailed oriented but there are many transitions. I’ve had 3 in 10 months due to staff changes. Front desk staff friendly.... 1) When I call, someone always answers the phone. I’m not in a long queue. This is a huge time saver. 2) my nurse is very detail orientated and empathetic.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
She did not have much to say about my eggs, wanted to move on to donor eggs. I did ask her to slow down and take me through her thought process which she did. She is always very encouraging in subsequent appointments.
She recommended use of donor eggs after 3 failed attempts with my own eggs.
Absolutely tracking all the details, found errors in my ERA report and had it corrected before I even saw it.
$30,000 for donor egg 6 egg batch and at least one PGS normal embryo
Don’t know yet
What specific things went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
I was suppose to have an endometriosis test with my ERA biopsy but that info didn’t get transferred when my nurse changed. I have to go back a second time if I want the test. Not a big deal, just inconvenient.
2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr Shahine is extremely professional and empathetic. I truly felt she was supportive throughout the process...She was a very caring, compassionate Doctor. The only downside was that the IVF procedure failed, much to her surprise, with only 4 eggs retrieved.
Approx $21,000 for IVf cycle Approx $800 per IUI cycle...She [Dr Shahine] was a very caring, compassionate Doctor. The only downside was that the IVF procedure failed, much to her surprise, with only 4 eggs retrieved...[Pacific NW Fertility] Extremely quick, flexible appointment times.
How was your experience with Lora Shahine at Pacific NW Fertility?
Ask about all options and understand all potential areas for failure.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Extremely quick, flexible appointment times.
Approx $21,000 for IVf cycle Approx $800 per IUI cycle