Medical SchoolStony Brook U, State U of NY
Fellowship U of Michigan
9335 McKnight Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
412.578.5588
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lori Homa to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny to a friend?
How was your experience with Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
I felt my experience with Dr Homa as a patient was both positive and negative. She was very knowledgeable, but when giving information or answers it felt as though she was reading from a text book. When we first started seeing dr homa, she was pregnant and had gone through fertility treament herself so we felt that she would empathize us. This made us feel more comfortable. After deciding to move forward with the IVF, there was a lack of communication the morning of the Embryo transfer. The last time we were notified we had 7 fertilized embryos only to find out only 1 had made it to day 5. We found this out in the procedure room minutes before the transfer occurred. This was very disheartening to hear and we left there feeling already defeated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Ask several questions and make sure you feel 100% comfortable before moving forward with any treatment or procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
We felt that Dr. Homa lacked the compassion that we expected would come from a fertility doctor. She showed very little emotion and we felt her answers to our questions came directly from a text book.
Describe the protocols Lori Homa used in your cycles at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny and their degree of success.
Our first 13 cycles was timed intercourse with letrozole and ovidrel trigger shot. Those all were unsuccessful. We then decided to move forward with ivf. We used my eggs and my husbands semen. There were a total of 16 eggs retrieved and 7 fertilized. Only one made it to blastocyst stage and had a fresh transfer. This ivf cycle was also unsuccessful.
The nursing staff was great! They all seemed to be very compassionate, caring, and positive throughout the whole experience.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
This clinics strengths would be the nursing staff, results were always given in a timely fashion, and early morning appointments were available to avoid missed time at work. There was very minimal weaknesses with the clinic itself.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lori Homa at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
We had to pay the medicine out of pocket which totaled around 200 a time for timed intercourse. The total for the IVF was around 15,000.
Describe Lori Homa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
No comments as we only had one embryo that made it to blastocyst stage to transfer
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
My experience as a patient with dr homa was okay. Just okay. I left her office feeling overwhelmed. My husband and i waited almost an hour to see her, and after she came in and talked with us, it was very fast and impersonal. There was no talk of a plan B, if the iui didn’t work out.... Dr homa kept me on the same protocol as my gynecologist. She didn’t change anything, and kept me at the highest dosage of femara, but added in a trigger shot, an ultrasound and an iui.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
My experience as a patient with dr homa was okay. Just okay. I left her office feeling overwhelmed. My husband and i waited almost an hour to see her, and after she came in and talked with us, it was very fast and impersonal. There was no talk of a plan B, if the iui didn’t work out. This was my only experience with dr homa personally.
I saw dr homa after 6 failed rounds of femara under my gynecologist care. I had two visits with dr homa, our first being my general consultation where she just went over all of the previous treatments and then suggested another round of femara, this time monitored and an iui. Our appointment was quick and impersonal. The rest of my experience was with her staff.
Dr homa kept me on the same protocol as my gynecologist. She didn’t change anything, and kept me at the highest dosage of femara, but added in a trigger shot, an ultrasound and an iui. I assume her rationale was because the femara was making me ovulate in my previous cycles, it would be good to try again with the added trigger and iui. The result was not pregnancy. We never discussed a plan B, so after the failed round my husband and i decided on taking a break from treatment.
The staff was nice when i called with questions, and made me feel comfortable during my ultrasound. The nurse who preformed my iui was fast and answered the questions i had.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Billing was unclear, i was told that we would talk about payment options the day of my iui, but the day of, it seemed like that was an unusual request. The staff was nice. Making appointments was easy.
The trigger shot for IUI was a bit expensive, but i was able to get it for less. I was unsure of the cost of the iui until the day of, and was a bit overwhelmed having to pay all upfront.
Pittsburgh
She [Dr. Lori Homa] is a very knowledgeable person and is great at what she does... We walked into the room and didn't say a thing she just hugged me. Infertility is already hard as it is, but to become pregnant and have it swept out from underneath is an unfathomable experience. Dr. Homa made our experience a little less heart wrenching in walking us through what was to come...Dr. Homa is not a stranger to the situation. She's very compassionate and treated me with the utmost respect. I felt like she truly cared for me as a person and our journey.
During miscarriage we had seen the other doctor in the practice. His bedside manner was awful and was not caring in the matter. Our next appointment was an ultrasound with Dr. Homa to further check the progress. We walked into the room and didn't say a thing she just hugged me. Infertility is already hard as it is, but to become pregnant and have it swept out from underneath is an unfathomable experience. Dr. Homa made our experience a little less heart wrenching in walking us through what was to come. I appreciate her and thank God very day we have her to guide us!
Be patient. She is a very knowledgeable person and is great at what she does; keep in mind though that there may be other factors that contribute to her not helping you reach your goals. Just keep the faith!
I honestly don't remember exactly amounts but we upped my dosages with some of my medications during my second cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Maples)
The nurses of The Center for Reproductive Medicine were absolutely amazing. Everyone is super friendly and on top of everything. Specifically, Jenn, who I felt kind of took me under her wing and really showed compassion toward me. Most of these women if not all have experienced some type of issue in having children. Which I would wish upon no one, but it is reassuring they're not just giving you a textbook answer.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The clinic is very clean and easy to find. It's very close and convenient for me.
The IVF cycle itself was $9,500 to be paid at once. I had to write two checks: one check for $450 which went towards my anesthesia and another check for $1250 in the event that we had embyros to freeze. Depending on the protocol will determine the amount you pay for medications. Ours were around $3,400. Insurance covered nothing. Our ultrasounds had a $30 co-pay EVERY visit.
Dr. Homa had a strong preference for a two embryo transfer the first time due to the quality of my embryos. Because only one took during that cycle we opted ourselves, without question, to do two for our second cycle.
Pittsburgh
Dr. Homa acknowledge the male factor was causing our problems...She claimed IUIs would solve the inadequate sperm quality issue...Saw her at initial appointment then dealt with nurses. I had no negative issues with her at the appointment personally...They don't really spend much time determining what your issue is. I can't believe I was told to do more IUIs after the first three failed, without any type of further testing...they never ever bring up the term "sperm donor."
Saw her at initial appointment then dealt with nurses. I had no negative issues with her at the appointment personally. I do think that she prescribes the treatments the clinic recommends for all patients.
Go into the appointment informed. Stress you want your specific problem dealt with and not the standard course of treatment the clinic does for almost everyone no matter the issue is.
She was friendly and answered all the questions.
Dr. Homa acknowledge the male factor was causing our problems. Her predecessor at Jones insisted everything was fine. She claimed IUIs would solve the inadequate sperm quality issue. However, I believe the problem was far worse than anyone at the clinic would admit.
Very nice and friendly. They made me feel comfortable. Most were skilled at the IUI, however, one was not. I do feel they had a bit of a "cover up" about the sperm quality.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
This clinic is very big on IUIs. They seem to recommend that to everyone no matter what the issue is. If you have an ovulation issue or hormonal problem, you may get lucky and this will be successful. However, they really don't like discussing sperm issues. They don't want to do further testing on sperm and they never ever bring up the term "sperm donor." I believe a lot of my precious time was wasted not to mention thousands of dollars on IUIs that really had no shot of every working. Also, the IUIs aren't timed well. Everyone's is timed the same and if it is a weekend, they'll just do it early and waste your money and time. Washed sperm only lives a few hours so timing is critical especially when there is a male issue to begin with.
I believe including drugs for each IUI, we spent $1,000 each time. The total we spent at Jones was around $7,000.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Pittsburgh
Dr. Homa diagnosed me with Diminished Ovarian Reserve based on low AMH (.73) I had normal AFC and FSH. I was not happy with my experience at this clinic. I complained about having pain with sex and that I think I might have endometriosis. She said to talk to my gyno about the pain, but she would not perform surgery for endometriosis for infertility....The reason I left this clinic was that I had a huge cyst at my baseline cycle and she still let me proceed with Femara.
Dr. Homa diagnosed me with Diminished Ovarian Reserve based on low AMH (.73) I had normal AFC and FSH. I was not happy with my experience at this clinic. I complained about having pain with sex and that I think I might have endometriosis. She said to talk to my gyno about the pain, but she would not perform surgery for endometriosis for infertility. The reason I left this clinic was that I had a huge cyst at my baseline cycle and she still let me proceed with Femara. On CD 14, the cyst doubled in size and I had 1 17mm follicle. She told me to trigger the next morning and do the IUI on Friday. I didn't feel comfortable wasting a $100 trigger or spending $375 on the IUI on a cycle with the cyst so I canceled. The next day on CD 15, I got AF estrogen break through bleeding. I went back in on CD 3 and she said it wasn't my period and I had ovulated since I had a high progesterone. This was wrong. My progesterone was pre ovulation and my other numbers indicated that I was in a new cycle. IN fact, my u/s from 3 days before showed that uterine lining was already in the process of shedding. Something that I was not informed with. After this incident, I made an appointment at another clinic and didn't look back. My gyno ended up doing a lap surgery on me and diagnosed me with endometriosis. After my surgery, my AMH was 1.73 indicating my reserve for my age was not LOW.
Please do your own research. Do not just follow the doctor's orders.
The nurses did all the work in this office. They did follow up with you. However, I do not think they remembered my name every appointment. Just my face.
At our first consultation, Dr. Homa suggested hybrid cycles for me (femara plus gonal F). She suggested this protocol because I had a short luteal phase. She said that since I was DOR I had poor quality eggs and she wanted to fix the eggs at the beginning of the cycle so my luteal phase would extend. I wasn't comfortable jumping into injectables, so we stuck with femara and trigger for 3 cycles. Didn't get pregnant. Then we moved on to femara plus gonal f for one cycle. I responded well to all cycles but never got pregnant. We added an IUI for the hybrid cycle.
Overall, the nursing staff was okay. Jen was great. The other ones I didn't really think they communicated well to me. The one nurse made me feel rather depressed when she said something to the effect of "despite your low amh, you have responded well..."
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
I think the lack of an online portal to communicate with the nursing staff is something definitely missing here.
Most of my costs were covered under insurance. My IUI itself was not covered and was reasonably priced. The ultrasounds and bloodwork associated with the IUI were covered.
Does not apply to me.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Pittsburgh
She [Dr. Homa] is blunt and to the point but you can tell and feel she knows what she is doing and that she wants to help. She does her job well, researches you and your past, answers questions fully and makes sure you understand the next steps, risks, etc.... She suggested that due to our diagnosis that we try IUI along with Clomid for a few cycles. We had the option to do IUIs without medication, but with medication slightly increased our chances. She explained that if after a few rounds nothing works, we will discuss other options and next steps.
She is blunt and to the point but you can tell and feel she knows what she is doing and that she wants to help. She does her job well, researches you and your past, answers questions fully and makes sure you understand the next steps, risks, etc.
You won’t always see her, but don’t be alarmed at that.
You always get a call back. Staff is kind and understanding. They answer questions without making you feel like you’re annoying them. They explain everything. They have you meet with a financial advisor before anything.
They are very kind, help you to feel less stressed, treat you like a human being.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Parking is easy, staff is friendly and welcoming, clinic is inviting and very easy to find. We really liked the fact that they make you meet with a financial advisor on your first visit to make sure you’re aware of all of the costs associated with EVERYTHING. They really go above and beyond.
So far we have had two IUIs, in the process of our third. Each IUI is $369; $299 for the ultrasound and bloodwork.
Pittsburgh
Lori homa was very positive from our first visit and helped us beat our secondary infertility on the first cycle! She was very thorough and upbeat the entire process. She also was very knowledgeable and answered every question we had.... I'm not sure if the rationale for any of our treatments but what worked for us was: Letrozole cycle days 3-7 Trigger shot- day 13
Trust. Trust what she says and take a deep breath. Infertility is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with, but know you are in good hands.
A huge group of smart cheerleaders. They were able to answer all of our questions and a huge support system.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The only thing I would change about the clinic is their availability. It took me a few months to get in for my fist appointment.
Our insurance has a pretty high deductible. Because of our high deductible one month of blood work, meds, and ultrasound was around 700$.
None