Medical SchoolNorthwestern
751 NE Blakely Drive
Issaquah, WA 98029
1101 Madison St.
Seattle, WA 98104
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lorna Marshall to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific NW Fertility to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Marshall is very knowledgeable, experienced and open about unknowns...I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve (AMH ) and probable poor egg quality...I really felt that my plan was catered to me, not a blanket protocol....She also shared personal stories with me and seemed interested in hearing about our lives as well....Make your call to the clinic early - I had to schedule my first consultation three months out and when I decided to go ahead with IVF I had to wait two more months to start.
European, East Asian
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is very knowledgeable, experienced and open about unknowns. She has been in the business for a very long time, I think over 30 years and she is one of the founders of PNWF. You can look at her bio and see all her credentials, its pretty impressive! And she utilizes her knowledge well. I really felt that my plan was catered to me, not a blanket protocol. She explains well without going into too much medical jargon that would overwhelm, which I really appreciated. The process is overwhelming enough and being on tons of hormones its very easy for her to say a word I'm not familiar with and make me crazy googling that word! She doesn't bog you down with unnecessary details. For example while we were waiting for my lining to be thick enough to transfer, she would say "almost there, i think next check you'll be ready" but she didn't disclose what "almost there" meant. At first this annoyed me but what would I have done with the information? There isn't anything I can do to make my lining get thicker other than do what they are telling me to do already. She provided necessary information : next time the lining will be thick enough. As far as experience, I think it really shows in how she anticipates every turn. She was right every time. And she rolls with the punches. After a very long period of waiting to complete my IVF cycle with the FET of my one and only good embryo, I messed up my medication regimen (I forgot to switch to progesterone 6 days prior to my FET). I panicked and called the clinic who had to contact Dr. Marshall off-hours and within 10 min. I was set-up with a new game plan. I guess after all this time she really has seen very possible patient mistake!! I'm devastated that I made a mistake that cost me my transfer. Dr. Marshall undoubtedly knows the heart-ache my mistake costs me but she also knows that my one embryo and 3+ years of trying isn't worth risking until everything is perfect. This makes me truly believe that she really wants this to be successful. As far as disclosing unknowns, we have had several conversations about the advancements of science and the lack of understanding of what make embryo(s) stick. They make the uterus as receptive as possible, gently place the embryo in and hope it sticks.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Make your call to the clinic early - I had to schedule my first consultation three months out and when I decided to go ahead with IVF I had to wait two more months to start. She is highly sought after. I have no advice specifically related to working with Dr. Marshall. Regarding infertility in itself, I strongly suggest that people do not read forums. The fertility team is a group of experts with lots of direct patient experience, just because someone has been though IVF 3 times does not make them an expert.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
As a RN I asked the clinic to not treat me as someone 'in the know' because I work in a completely different area of specialty and I didn't want to have to teach my husband about all of the lingo and meaning. Dr. Marshall definitely respected that, deciphering ultra sounds and going into great details of procedures and offering descriptions that we would understand (e.g. during FET the uterus is a like an English muffin, not smooth and hopefully the little embryo will nestle itself into a pocket or shelf). She also shared personal stories with me and seemed interested in hearing about our lives as well. If we ever waited a long time in the exam room, she apologized.
Describe the protocols Lorna Marshall used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve (AMH ) and probable poor egg quality, other than that I don't know why the meds and doses were chosen. my IVF regimen was as follows: 3 weeks of BCP suppression check/blood work Follistim 450 IU and miniHCG 20u for 12 days Meanwhile reporting to the clinic day 5 (9 follicles), day 7 (12 follicles), day 9 (14 follicles), day 11 (13 follicles), and day 12 (12 follicles) for ultrasounds/blood work Started Ganerelix on day 9 On day 12 max follicle size was 18.6 so HCG Trigger shot was scheduled for that night with retrieval the next morning. Egg retrieval in the morning, 10 eggs retrieved, 7 of those were mature Day one report - 5 fertilized Day 5 - 1 blastocyst and two more still growing Day 6 - 2 blastocysts, both biopsied and frozen PGS report a four days later (we were told it would take 2 weeks) - 1 chromosomal normal blastocyst About a week after the retrieval I had a hysteroscopy and removal of some polyps found during the Saline Sonogram. Then I took a month and a half break (continuing birth control pills) to allow healing. For the FET, I did 2 weeks of lupron at 10u (some overlap with the BCP). A suppression check and blood work prior to starting Estrogen patches. The patches started at two every other day for a week then increased to 3 patches every other day for a few days then up to 4 patches every other day. Lupron had been reduced to 5 units every day. My first lining check was not thick enough so I continued with 4 patches. Still continuing with Lupron. Finally my lining was thick enough (it took 5 weeks instead of the 4 that was initially outlined). Progesterone was to start 6 days prior to transfer, meanwhile continuing with 2 estrogen patches and 5u of lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily Gray)
Emily is the perfect fit for this role. She is friendly, very easy to talk to, compassionate without crying all the time (which is what I wanted to do), concise and organized. I never felt that she didn't know what she was talking about. And if she didn't know, she readily told me she would find out from Dr. Marshall. When all is chaotic (in my head) Emily is like a lighthouse. When I really wanted to fixate on something, she wouldn't let me. For example, when the embryos were growing I asked her to tell me the grades of them, she kindly told me she could tell me that information but that the grades don't reflect quality so... she was totally right. I would have taken that information and spent hours researching it on the internet and stressing out. She gave very clear instructions - demonstrated injections, gave us a print out, sent us a video and email reminders. Even after all those tools and I messed up, she assured me that it was ok and they (she and Dr. Marshall and all of PNWF would fix it and set me up for success. She was fun to joke with. She always called or emailed when she said she would.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Strengths - everyone is very kind. Its a nice, inviting space. All the magazines a girl could dream of. Suzanne, the phlebotomist, is amazing. She is so gentle. She never bruised me. She took her time and really treated me with care. The location is perfect for me, as I work 3 blocks away. Weaknesses - there does seem to be a lot of turn over of the front office staff. When Suzanne didn't draw my blood there was always a different face - none of them 1/2 as good as Suzanne. Once when I called in with a question the front desk staff said they would have a RN call me back right away, four hours late I still hadn't heard from anyone and I knew they had weekend hours so I called again and the same woman said "yes, they know you have a question and will call soon" well about 10 min late I did receive a call and the RN said that they were just closing up for the day. If I hadn't followed up, I wouldn't have gotten a response for 24 hrs. If you have to park, its very expensive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility.
Physician fees and embryology fees were approx $18,000. Plus about $3,000 for PGS. And now $800 for FET. Meds for IVF were about $4,000. Meds for FET about $1200
Describe Lorna Marshall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
Dr. Marshall had a strong preference to transfer only one embryo from the beginning (stated at our initial consultation). We were every happy with that. Other clinics leaned strongly towards multiple embryo transfer. We only ended up with one anyway
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Lorna Marshall] has told me her concerns and what she feels would be best but always giving me options to choose from...she was very informative and concise, which is what I look for in a doctor. She took the time to explain the entire process of IVF and answered questions along the way...SHe recommends freezing your embryos for at least 2 months to reset your body... I am on Follistim and Mini HCG. She has titrated the amount according to my labs.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
It has been a long road for my husband and I. I met Dr. Marshall during my ART consultation. During this consultation, she was very informative and concise, which is what I look for in a doctor. She took the time to explain the entire process of IVF and answered questions along the way. She has told me how it is through this journey that I am still on. She has told me her concerns and what she feels would be best but always giving me options to choose from.
She is a great doctor and would recommend to all. Although this journey I am on is not something that has been planned, she has made it easier to get through.
She takes the time to discuss the options and gives you time to ask questions. She cares about how you feel during your treatments. She takes the time when something is uncomfortable.
I am currently on my first round of IVF. I am on Follistim and Mini HCG. She has titrated the amount according to my labs. She used Ganirelix. She is using a dual trigger with Lupron and HCG. SHe recommends freezing your embryos for at least 2 months to reset your body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Emily)
MY care coordinator is Emily. I have worked with at least 2 other nurses in this office. All of them are very kind and caring. Always calling to check on me and to make sure I am dong ok on my medications. When I am seen in the office Emily and all the other staff always have a smile on their face.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
This clinic overall is a great place to be receiving fertility services. No one wants to be in this situation but this is where you want to be going through it. The entire clinic is well run, usually on time and always clean.
My first and, at this point, my only IVF cycle cost around $25,000.
I do know the office I go to has a protocol for this. For the age I am, she recommends not transferring more then 2 embryos at a time.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Marshall: individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a friend of mine with extremely high standards. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. During our discussion my prior cycles became critical inputs for deciding how to move forward. My prior doctors had made very solid decisions, but the key to better results was precisely pinpointing what needed to be changed based on what did not work in the past. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
Work with Dr. Marshall and you can relax.
Estradiol for suppression. Clomid + High dosage follistim for stimulation. Human growth hormone for finishing. The timing Dr. Marshall used for each step was critical for changing my results.
My experience with my IVF coordinator, Emily Gray, and all the nursing staff has been top notch. It is difficult to identify all the traits that an ideal IVF coordinator has, but my experience with Emily has helped to crystallize them: • Deeply knowledgeable – Emily’s ability to smoothly manage communication and coordination among my doctor, the front desk, my pharmacy, geneticists, and others is rooted in her knowledge of both IVF medicine and the PNWF process. Her knowledge is broad (covering my questions on embryo banking, acceptable medications, etc.) and deep (e.g., risks associated with back-to-back IVF cycles). I’ve worked with many nurses in multiple fields who can go through the motions, but can’t connect each process step or my question to the bigger goal. Emily goes way beyond. • Commitment to results – As with Dr. Marshall and with the entire team, Emily has always been “in it to win it” with my husband and me. During one visit, I expressed that I appreciated her working with me even after I had proven to be the Cancellation Queen. She responded immediately and confidently: “I’ve never known you as that.” At that moment, I realized how important it is to feel in my bones the support and belief of the team you are partnering with. • Attunement and sensitivity – Emily is upbeat when delivering good news, and compassionate when delivering bad news. This sensitivity is HUGE when going through the IVF process. There is nothing worse than going through a gut-wrenching process with a tone deaf partner. • Proactive and clear – Emily stays ahead of me in all aspects of the process: from sending me a tentative calendar before we’ve even finalized target dates to ensuring my prescriptions are ready to go. • Responsive and patient – I’m not an easy patient. I ask lots of questions. All the time. Emily has been gracious with her attention and timely with her responses, often providing more information and insight than I even know to ask for. The rest of the nursing staff and front desk staff has been great to work with as well. At a certain point, I started to feel like a regular given the number and frequency of my visits. Everyone has been so kind and understanding. It has meant so much they everyone takes such pride and care in what they do: from handling my frequent blood draws to providing thoughtful care before and after egg retrievals. The team at PNWF fertility provides a fabulous combination of medical talent and attentive care.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
The high quality of the experience I have had is embedded in how PNWF operates. All my interactions with PNWF doctors have been very positive. I believe their equipment and protocols are top notch.
~$10K for physician services (monitoring, aspiration, transfer); ~$9K for embryology (insemination, blastocyst culture, cryopreservation)
PCOS, Unexplained
When meeting with Dr. Marshall I felt very confident in her knowledge. She has a gentle disposition and is able to clearly explain the process and procedures she recommended...Dr. Marshall's first treatment plan was to have me try Metformin as she explained that it sometimes helps patients with PCOS get pregnant naturally. My body didn't react well to the Metformin so she then had me start on Clomid with IUI. Her reason was that there is a better chance in conceiving with IUI versus naturally as the timing is exactly right. After 7 cycles of Clomid (and 6 IUIs) she recommended that we move forward with IVF.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
When meeting with Dr. Marshall I felt very confident in her knowledge. She has a gentle disposition and is able to clearly explain the process and procedures she recommended. I went to her after having a bad experience at another clinic and upon meeting her she put my mind at ease.
Expect to not see her at every visit.
I had previously gone to another clinic in my city where my treatment plan was confused with another patient's on more than one occasion. My previous doctor felt very cold and made promises that were unreasonable. As soon as I met with Dr. Marshall I felt like she cared about my husband and me and didn't try to make promises that couldn't be kept. All the staff at PNWF are so warm and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lanika Exkano)
I originally had another nurse when I first started my treatment at the clinic, but she was promoted and I was assigned a new one. My current nurse is very kind and compassionate and very friendly. She is also very helpful if I ever have any questions.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I would say my clinic's greatest strength is their size. They are very small which makes you feel like you are more than a number. Everyone from the staff, nurses, and doctors and very friendly, understanding and nice. The biggest weakness, I would have to say, is communication. Sometimes there is a delay in hearing back from them if you email or call with question.
Each IUI cycle (including meds, ultrasounds, IUI procedure, and lab work) cost about $1,100 out of pocket - my insurance does not cover infertility medications or treatments. I was told that I can expect IVF to cost between $20,000 - $25,000.
I was told that my clinic likes to transfer single embryos; however, if we would like to transfer two we have that option. They would not transfer more than two.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
I can't work with a doctor with zero sense of humor, especially about something so crazy as fertility treatment and IVF. I appreciated her [Dr. Lorna Marshall] openness to answering my questions and telling me what she was doing step by step. She'd take time to explain everything she was seeing on the ultrasound, which I appreciated. I learned a lot going through this process and she is open to taking a teacher approach, which is what I desire in a doctor. She also held my hand at one point before the egg retrieval and said, sincerely, "We want this to work for you." That meant a lot to me and made me cry (in a good way).
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr. Marshall is competent and speaks clearly, though not necessarily an overly warm or gushing personality. My husband and I make a lot of jokes and she would often simply smile at us, and sometimes laugh a little, but not give a huge guffaw. (I call the vaginal ultrasound wand, "My old friend.") I thought we had a good, collaborative working relationship. I can't work with a doctor with zero sense of humor, especially about something so crazy as fertility treatment and IVF. I appreciated her openness to answering my questions and telling me what she was doing step by step. She'd take time to explain everything she was seeing on the ultrasound, which I appreciated. I learned a lot going through this process and she is open to taking a teacher approach, which is what I desire in a doctor. She also held my hand at one point before the egg retrieval and said, sincerely, "We want this to work for you." That meant a lot to me and made me cry (in a good way).
You really have to trust your doctor a whole lot during what may be the most vulnerable and stressful period of your life. This person is going to see you at your worst. Don't be afraid to switch doctors. We switched to Dr. Marshall from another doctor at another clinic. As with any doctor, speak up and advocate for your own care. Things do slip through the cracks and open communication is key. ...I still never fully got the hang of fertility treatment -- I was never fully comfortable with having to be a part of that system, though much of the struggle was in my own head. It's important to recognize in yourself when the doctor is really the problem, or the problem is within yourself. Conceiving a child is such a personal, magical thing -- and here you have to welcome strangers into the process. Eventually, with IVF, they will no longer be strangers but some of the people you see most often during the week. Fit is so important.
I have experiences with two clinics in Seattle and this was the far better of the two. The smaller clinic size meant that I got to know the nurses and doctors.
We had male factor infertility caused by cancer treatment. We used husband's frozen sperm. Treatment plan with this clinic was two IUIs, one of which resulted in miscarriage and another that didn't take. We'd had three IUI failures at a previous clinic, as well. Dr. Marshall encouraged us to continue with IUIs, but I was tired of failures and the imprecision with my irregular menstrual cycle -- so I made the case for IVF and Dr. Marshall agreed. This is important to note because the clinic makes a LOT more money off of an IVF patient than an IUI patient. And yet, Dr. Marshall did not push us to do IVF before we were ready, in fact, I was ready to take the next step and asked for IVF. It's important to have a doctor who sees you as a human being with hopes for a family, rather than a source of cash and profit.
There was staff turnover for us because of maternity leave and retirements. The clinic was juggling a lot while also managing our care. I don't think our quality of care suffered.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Strengths: Small, privately owned, competent, clean, high-tech, compassionate care team Weaknesses: Traffic getting across town sucks for multiple treatments Things to look for in a clinic: There should be no pictures of babies in the waiting room, no parenting magazines, and nothing to remind you of babies or children. If this is the case, you know that the staff is trying to maximize your psychological comfort. (Any woman in fertility treatment knows that seeing the giant bellies and all the baby posters at the OB's office is torture.) Even our nurse coordinator, who was pregnant, concealed her baby belly under her lab coat. Really considerate of her. Pay attention to how you're treated and whether your doctor or nurses remember your case when he/she sees you. At our first clinic, not this one, the doctor would be reading our chart while she was in front of us to try to remember who we were. The nurses at our last clinic got us confused with other couples. This did not happen at PNWF, thankfully! You do not have to put up with that kind of treatment!
From memory: $5,000 - $10,000 out of pocket over the years $15,000 - $25,000 insurance over the years
We did genetic screening of our embryos, put one embryo in, and I am now seven months pregnant with an apparently healthy baby. The genetic screening cost about $2,500 out of pocket. This seems like a reasonable risk/reward for our family to minimize the chances of a failed transfer and to minimize the odds of multiples.
Seattle
We used a protocol that Dr. Marshall developed in her work with cancer patients....Dr. Marshall cares. This comes across in how she partnered with us--able to listen, empathize, and steer the cycle... Dr. Marshall: Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Pursuing IVF is one of the most out-of-control experiences I’ve had. But there is a comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can. Dr. Marshall has given me that comfort. At every step of my partnership with Dr. Marshall, I have had deep confidence in our approach. And the results are there to prove it. I went from two canceled cycles before working with Dr. Marshall to 15 total eggs retrieved in two back-to-back cycles of embryo banking after working with Dr. Marshall. While my transfer cycle is not until next month, I have rock-solid confidence in our path forward. For you to understand how special Dr. Marshall is, it’s helpful to contextualize my situation and the struggles I had before meeting her. If you are short on time, please scroll to the end where I sing her praises. My story – Before Dr. Marshall I am a healthy woman who has been active my entire life. My body has always cooperated with me, and I thought having a child would be no exception. So I spent my 30s focusing on my career and exploring the world, actively avoiding pregnancy, confident my husband of 17 years and I could have a child when and if we chose to. When we were ready to pursue pregnancy, I was 40. To avoid risking delays and miscarriage, we opted for IVF straightaway. This made our case unusual because we hadn’t spent time trying on our own without success, so we weren’t prepared for the rude awakening that followed. The initial diagnosis was beyond disheartening. I learned my FSH (at 13 IU/L) meant I was closer to menopause than I had counted on. Statistical models estimated I had the potential for three eggs each cycle. My new label: 40-year-old with Diminished Ovarian Reserve. Defiant, we proceeded anyway. But we got knocked down HARD. My first cycle was canceled quickly out of the gate because the birth control pills led to over-suppression. Only one follicle responded. Determined to get more information and move forward quickly, I sought another opinion per the suggestion of a doctor friend of mine. I flew out of town straightway to do so. The second round was canceled too. Once again, I had a dominant follicle emerge and my other follicles wouldn’t grow as a result. I started pouring over medical journals and learned there was a group of criteria used to describe my poor response: the Bologna criteria. Trust me, this is not a group you want to be in. I hated all these labels, and my sense of self started to morph with the loss of hope. It felt like my only option was to throw a hail Mary, without any real confidence that one would work. Not liking this conclusion (and not being able digest mentally why it shouldn’t be possible to preempt the early development of a dominant follicle), I scheduled a meeting with Dr. Marshall, at the recommendation of several friends. MY MEETING WITH DR. MARSHALL TURNED AROUND THE TRAJECTORY OF MY FERTILITY JOURNEY. 180 DEGREES. My story – After Dr. Marshall After my husband and I talked to Dr. Marshall, I knew I wanted to work with her. I knew she would be my final fertility doctor. Several things really jumped out at me during our initial conversation. Dr. Marshall: • Individualized her protocol recommendation, synthesizing her knowledge of IVF research and her experience and innovation with cancer patients. Her ability to individualize effective protocols was absolutely top notch. Most doctors like standard protocols because they are what generally works. But if you are older or not an easy case, you NEED someone like Dr. Marshall—who has the knowledge, the courage, and agility to go beyond textbook solutions. She discussed options with me, and her rationale was targeted and precise. Dr. Marshall was able to design a protocol that was much more compelling and effective than what I was able to find on other sites and in medical journals. • Offered us an entire path forward, not just a protocol for the next cycle – Given my first two cycles had been canceled, it seemed naïve to assume that the next cycle would miraculously be “the one.” We talked through a few scenarios that alleviated the pressure on the next cycle even while giving us renewed hope. It felt like a fresh start. • Focused on doing the right thing – Dr. Marshall happily agreed to work with us, even though there was a chance I could hurt the success rates of her clinic. She is clearly motivated to help people achieve their fertility goals, and is willing to put her patients’ needs ahead of her clinic’s numbers. • Has a sense of urgency – Dr. Marshall helped us get started as soon as possible, and worked with us to schedule other diagnostic procedures while we waited for the cycle to begin. Once we got started with the cycle, it felt like I was like I was in a different body. Hope blossomed when the cycle wasn’t canceled, and then turned into giddiness when I saw above-average results for my age. In the end, we made 9 follicles! From two canceled cycles to 9 follicles! Eight of these follicles made it to day 3, but we were down to one healthy embryo after genetic testing. So we opted to bank the first one and try IVF again. The second cycle proceeded as the first. While there were fewer follicles recruited out of the gate (I pursued this cycle as soon as possible after the prior one), we made 6 follicles, 15 total after two tries! And we now have another healthy embryo. These two cycles also highlighted how and why Dr. Marshall is so unique: • Drive for results – Throughout our journey so far, Dr. Marshall has been in the process with us. She does her work with skin in the game. We went from two canceled cycles to 15 follicles over two cycles. • Mental flexibility to do the right thing – Dr. Marshall always has a plan, but dynamically optimizes when there is new information (from bloodwork, from ultrasound, etc.) There are a lot of smart doctors but in my experience her ability to perceive leading indicators quickly and comprehensively and adapt plans accordingly is extremely, extremely rare. I am not used to others staying ahead of me, and it has been a true joy to relax and just do what I’m told! • Blends the best of IVF science with warmth and compassion – From her ability to handle my IVF-emoting to her kind bedside manner, Dr. Marshall brings warmth as well as expertise. My gratitude to Dr. Marshall runs deep. If, like me, you are able to work with her, you will be a very, very, very lucky person indeed!
You're smart to work with her. You can relax now.
Dr. Marshall cares. This comes across in how she partnered with us--able to listen, empathize, and steer the cycle. Every time I've gone under anesthesia, I've felt watched over as a person not just a patient.
We used a protocol that Dr. Marshall developed in her work with cancer patients. Suppression with estradiol. Then a combination of Clomid, Follistim, and Omnitrope. I will need to confirm exact timing and doses.
We froze embryos after both cycles.
2010 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She [Dr. Lorna Marshall] used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
2010 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is very knowledgeable, and extremely caring. She explained the different steps, and walked me through what the options were. Once I was pregnant, I did feel a little rushed out of the clinic, but I figured that was because she was sure that everything was going well.
Write everything down.
She knew who I was, she asked about my other kids, she was kind, and very sympathetic.
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility.
I had a few, the first one was a bit scattered, but the second one I had was great. She went on maternity leave before my final successful transfer, but her replacement was also great.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I think the clinic has lots of options, is very well respected in the field, and has been doing this for a long time. It seems a little intimidating at first, and there is certainly a feeling that this is a business, but still one where they care about you.
They were covered by insurance, so the total bill for the first pregnancy was about $12,000, but we only paid $1500. The embryo storage was $250/6 months. The second and third transfers were about $2500 each, again, partially covered by insurance.
She said she would let the embryologist decide one versus two based on the quality of the day, for the first transfer, and the embryologist said one. For the second and third transfers, I asked for a single embryo.
2013 - 2016
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
She [Dr Lorna Marshall] takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns....Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life.
2013 - 2016
European, Black or African-American
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns.
Ask lots of questions. Write things down so you don't forget the little details.
Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life. I am an RN at a nearby trauma hospital and we have talked a bit about that as well. Dr Marshall is encouraging and optimistic and enthusiastic and she has me convinced that we can make this thing work!
2013 egg retrieval before chemo: Menopur/Follistim/Ganirelix and HCG trigger. I was 35 years old and we got 11 eggs. 8 made it to freeze as embryos at day 3; 2 made it to day 5 freeze (in 2015), and one of those was found to be chromosomally normal after PGS testing. The remaining embryo has the genetic mutation that caused my cancer, so we are currently doing a second egg retrieval in one more shot to try for a baby without this mutation hanging over their head. Based on my AMH and FSH levels, Dr Marshall actually recommended against doing another egg retrieval when we first asked. But when we decided that we wanted to try even though there was a higher chance of failure, she worked with us full force. We are pulling out all the big guns on this one: 4mg Estrace x12 days, then 100mg Clomid x5 days; 150mg Menopur; 300IU Follistim. Will start Ganirelix once follicles are ready, and will have an HCG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda and Adriana)
Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge). Melinda is good about letting me know when she won't be in the office, so I know to ask for her backup coordinator when I call. She even went to bat for me (along with Dr Marshall) to get the clinic to offer me the cancer rate discount, even though this second egg retrieval is happening AFTER my chemo/treatment.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Such a convenient location! Only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus.
It was about $9500 for our initial egg retrieval in 2013 (with a cancer patient discount and meds paid for through another cancer patient fund); in 2015, it was $4850 for PGD; $1k for PGS; $4500 for embryo biopsying and sending samples to the genetics company; it will be $11800 for this next round of egg retrieval, including ICSI (currently doing injections for this); I paid $5184 for my meds this time around. Another $1800 for biopsies to send for PGS and PGD; $3865 for FET, plus the cost of meds.
Seattle
Met [Dr. Marshall] in both an exam room and a regular office, that made me feel more like human than just a body... My first visit was great, I felt like we had a gameplan and well taken care of. UPDATE: The gameplan played out exactly as she predicted...Started taking metformin (500 mg/day for first week, then bumped up to 1000 mg) Taking 5mg of Letrazole on days 3-7 (I was already doing this with previous OB) Ultrasound on day 13 with injection of 10,000 USP units/vial to induce ovulation
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
It's great so far. Honestly, I'm just getting started after seeing my regular OB-GYN for about a year before seeking additional expertise. My first visit was great, I felt like we had a gameplan and well taken care of. UPDATE: The gameplan played out exactly as she predicted, after one failed cycle (I ovulated, but did not get a positive pregnancy test), I got pregnant on the second cycle and am currently 16 weeks along and everything looks good so far (hoping I didn't jinx it by counting it as "1 live birth" on a previous question).
Come prepared with lots of information.
Met in both an exam room and a regular office, that made me feel more like human than just a body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lanika)
They were great, communicated all the information I needed and were very approachable.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
So far I think it's a great spot, I just wish they accepted my insurance (Bridgespan) but I think that's partly a ACA issue. I've felt very comfortable and well taken care of so far. Even my first experience with a blood draw was very pleasant with a friendly and knowledgeable phlebotomist.
$295 for office visit/comprehensive exam $185 for pelvic ultrasound $135 for pregnyl shot through MRD pharmacy
not applicable as of now
Seattle
She [Dr. Marshall] is thorough with her answers...I only saw her 3 times in a year so wasn’t able to develop much of a relationship...Very nice and very informative. I wish I could have seen her more often and felt like she was really working to try to make things happen for me. I didn’t feel like she remembered me whenever I saw her...Started with no meds and IUI, then moved to letrozole for 3 cycles, then moved to letrozole and follistim, all with IUIs. No positive results. Discussed embryo donation, egg donation, and ivf and pros and cons with each.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions. She is thorough with her answers.
Saw so many different ones. And her assistant kept changing.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Nice offices. Seems to be confusion at times with he billing office. Charged different amounts for the same service, or received bill for items I’d already paid at time of service. I wish I had been assigned particular people to work with rather than whoever was available.
$330 per IUI. Ultrasounds and doctor visits cheaper.