5.9

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104
206.515.0000

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
She [Dr Lorna Marshall] takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns....Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life.
Such a convenient location! [Pacific Northwest Fertility in Seattle is] only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus....Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge)....There were some miscommunications early on in our 2015/16 process where things didn't move as quickly as I wanted--we met in September and paid for PGS and PGD and wanted to get things moving quickly, but it took about 6 weeks before they actually thawed our embryos to get samples to send for testing. At our first appointment, the timeline we discussed indicated that I might be ready to have embryos implanted by November/December, but in actuality
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She takes the time to explain procedures and recommendations and gets into the 'why' of what we are doing. She explains things in a way that I (an RN) and my husband (not in a medical profession) both understand what we are doing and why. She is flexible with us to make changes in what we are doing (decided not to do an IUI), and listens to our concerns.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Ask lots of questions. Write things down so you don't forget the little details.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
Dr Marshall always greets me with a smile, and takes the time to know what is going on in my life. She has worked with me to schedule last minute appointments around other commitments and spends time asking about things going on in my life. I am an RN at a nearby trauma hospital and we have talked a bit about that as well. Dr Marshall is encouraging and optimistic and enthusiastic and she has me convinced that we can make this thing work!
Describe the protocols Lorna Marshall used in your cycles at Pacific NW Fertility and their degree of success.
2013 egg retrieval before chemo: Menopur/Follistim/Ganirelix and HCG trigger. I was 35 years old and we got 11 eggs. 8 made it to freeze as embryos at day 3; 2 made it to day 5 freeze (in 2015), and one of those was found to be chromosomally normal after PGS testing. The remaining embryo has the genetic mutation that caused my cancer, so we are currently doing a second egg retrieval in one more shot to try for a baby without this mutation hanging over their head. Based on my AMH and FSH levels, Dr Marshall actually recommended against doing another egg retrieval when we first asked. But when we decided that we wanted to try even though there was a higher chance of failure, she worked with us full force. We are pulling out all the big guns on this one: 4mg Estrace x12 days, then 100mg Clomid x5 days; 150mg Menopur; 300IU Follistim. Will start Ganirelix once follicles are ready, and will have an HCG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melinda and Adriana)
Melinda is great about returning my calls and/or emails of questions. She helped coordinate things between us and the genetics company when there was a massive change in charges that I didn't expect (and we got them to drop that $5k charge). Melinda is good about letting me know when she won't be in the office, so I know to ask for her backup coordinator when I call. She even went to bat for me (along with Dr Marshall) to get the clinic to offer me the cancer rate discount, even though this second egg retrieval is happening AFTER my chemo/treatment.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
Such a convenient location! Only 3 blocks from Harborview, and right on the Swedish downtown campus.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility.
It was about $9500 for our initial egg retrieval in 2013 (with a cancer patient discount and meds paid for through another cancer patient fund); in 2015, it was $4850 for PGD; $1k for PGS; $4500 for embryo biopsying and sending samples to the genetics company; it will be $11800 for this next round of egg retrieval, including ICSI (currently doing injections for this); I paid $5184 for my meds this time around. Another $1800 for biopsies to send for PGS and PGD; $3865 for FET, plus the cost of meds.
What specific things went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Pacific NW Fertility.
There were some miscommunications early on in our 2015/16 process where things didn't move as quickly as I wanted--we met in September and paid for PGS and PGD and wanted to get things moving quickly, but it took about 6 weeks before they actually thawed our embryos to get samples to send for testing. At our first appointment, the timeline we discussed indicated that I might be ready to have embryos implanted by November/December, but in actuality we didn't have our results back until late January 2016. It would have been less frustrating if this longer timeline possibility had been made clear at the very beginning.

2010 - 2016, Successful
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She [Dr. Lorna Marshall] used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
I think the clinic [PNW Fertility] has lots of options, is very well respected in the field, and has been doing this for a long time. It seems a little intimidating at first, and there is certainly a feeling that this is a business, but still one where they care about you.... I had a few [nurses], the first one was a bit scattered, but the second one I had was great. She went on maternity leave before my final successful transfer, but her replacement was also great.
How was your experience with Lorna Marshall at Pacific NW Fertility?
She is very knowledgeable, and extremely caring. She explained the different steps, and walked me through what the options were. Once I was pregnant, I did feel a little rushed out of the clinic, but I figured that was because she was sure that everything was going well.
Write everything down.
She knew who I was, she asked about my other kids, she was kind, and very sympathetic.
Since I had a previous successful pregnancy, and mostly unexplained fertility, we did a standard course of treatment for my egg retrieval. She used birth control and Lupron, followed by Gonal-F and Menopur. She used an HCG trigger for retrieval. Following transferal, we did progesterone in oil shots, combined with estrogen patches. I had a fresh cycle transfer, but I understand that the clinic now combines PGD with a frozen cycle transfer to improve results. The second transfer was a chemical pregnancy, likely due to attachment on previous scar tissue. For the third transfer, she positioned the embryo in a different place. This led to my second successful IVF pregnancy,r, with birth control for regulation, then progesterone in oil and estrogen patches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific NW Fertility.
I had a few, the first one was a bit scattered, but the second one I had was great. She went on maternity leave before my final successful transfer, but her replacement was also great.
Describe your experience with Pacific NW Fertility.
I think the clinic has lots of options, is very well respected in the field, and has been doing this for a long time. It seems a little intimidating at first, and there is certainly a feeling that this is a business, but still one where they care about you.
They were covered by insurance, so the total bill for the first pregnancy was about $12,000, but we only paid $1500. The embryo storage was $250/6 months. The second and third transfers were about $2500 each, again, partially covered by insurance.
Describe Lorna Marshall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific NW Fertility.
She said she would let the embryologist decide one versus two based on the quality of the day, for the first transfer, and the embryologist said one. For the second and third transfers, I asked for a single embryo.