Medical SchoolU. of Michigan
ResidencyU. of California Irvine
FellowshipU. of California Irvine
100 Park Place
San Ramon, CA 94583
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Louis Weckstein to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Science Center to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Dr. Weckstein took time and care in explaining his analysis of my initial diagnostic results. He was kind yet direct and thorough in his discussion. He made sure to understand and respond to our questions. He was very quick in responding to my concerns out of the office as well. I felt that he genuinely cared and empathized with us.... I have diminished ovarian reserve, and Dr. Weckstein is re-testing some of my initial bloodwork to determine how aggressive the medications, approach, etc. should be. He is recommending IVF with an option for PGS (though not required).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Weckstein shared his candid analysis of our diagnosis and prognosis. He communicated a difficult situation with compassion, and gave us the time we needed to process and come to our own conclusions. He has a wealth of experience, and gave us his perspective as well as possible other routes of action.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
Describe the protocols Louis Weckstein used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
I am at the very beginning. I have diminished ovarian reserve, and Dr. Weckstein is re-testing some of my initial bloodwork to determine how aggressive the medications, approach, etc. should be. He is recommending IVF with an option for PGS (though not required).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Sara Romero)
Nurse Romero has been fairly responsive and accommodating since our initial visit. I have asked several questions, and she responded to the first couple very quickly and helpfully. However, as I've continued to inquire about things (I'm very inquisitive!), she has become less responsive.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
So far, I've found the clinic to be very organized, with reasonable appointment wait times, and a good online communication portal. They had all my records on file and referred to them before my initial visit. In terms of quickness and clarity about billing, this clinic has been the easiest to navigate thus far.
San Ramon
Dr Weckstien is very caring. He listens well and answers all questions. He is also very candid with you about your treatment. I know where I stand and where I am going if the directions we take don't work, I don't have to guess.... I wish I could see more of him though, the phone apts are great though because I live pretty far away... I was first given the supplement ovasitol to help regulate me. I then was told to lose weight (ugh) I had an ultrasound to confirm PCOS. A month later I was given letrozole, I responded great so i injected ovadril but there was a timing issue.
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
I've been seeing dr Weckstien for a year. I am currently still in treatment. Dr Weckstien is very candid with you on all the issues, I love that I don't have to worry about know what is going on. I wish I could see more of him though, the phone apts are great though because I live pretty far away
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
Come with a list of questions a d wrote down the answers!
I was first given the supplement ovasitol to help regulate me. I then was told to lose weight (ugh) I had an ultrasound to confirm PCOS. A month later I was given letrozole, I responded great so i injected ovadril but there was a timing issue. I took letrozole again & did not respond. The 3rd time I took letrozole I didn't respond but was given 8 more to take at once and did respond great injected ovadril but did not fall pregnant. I just finished a round of provera due to no cycle for 90 days. I am scheduled for an HSG in a few days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura )
The whole office staff is amazing, I am so glad I was referred to them. They are all caring and very welcoming. I couldn't ask for a better clinic
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The office is very welcoming and clam. All nurses, and office staff are very nice and knowledgeable. They all show concern and care for you like you are the only one they see all day. You don't have to worry about waiting around
Describe the costs associated with your care under Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center.
My insurance covers most of my treatment this far. I pay $209 for my timed intercourse with ovadril. IUI will be $408. IVF is not covered if it comes to that if I go through 2 IUIs with no baby
6 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
European, South Asian
6 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
I found Dr. Weckstein to be extremely patient, knowledgeable, and candid. I explained that I thought I had an issue with my progesterone, he then explained that we would do POI shots and would monitor how my progesterone was doing. Every other doctor either scoffed at the idea that progesterone was an issue or said they would give me supplements. Dr. Weckstein referred to different research that pointed to carrying a baby to full term. I've been searching for a doctor to be on the forefront of this. I'm pregnant now, although very early, I've never been pregnant through infertility treatments and I've never had my progesterone tested. Well, it's a 56 and we are very happy about it. Also, I told him I react poorly to Lupron which he said no problem, we can do a cycle with the minimum and see how it works, and it worked great! positive test 3 days early. Every time I've mentioned something about my process he would find another solution, which every other clinic told me it was "their" protocol that I was paying for and that they wouldn't modify it.
From the moment I shook Dr. Wecksteins hand, I knew he was the doctor for me. Kind, compassionate, friendly, calm, and candid. He has genuine in his answers to me. Listened to what I didn't like in my past protocols, assured me that he would do what made the most sense and made me comfortable.
I did a Donor cycle, so I was put on minimum drugs. Estradiol patches, 2 every 3 days, and progesterone suppositories, and progesterone oil shots once a night.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Sandra :) )
The nurses are amazing. Always happy, seem to love their jobs, and seem to really want their patients to succeed.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The clinic is great! They have multiple locations throughout the bay area and make it convenient to do your cycle wherever it is closest to you. The main clinic is open on the weekends, so you aren't worried about something happening on the weekend.
Describe Louis Weckstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
Dr. Weckstein highly advised us to only do a single embryo transfer. We went through 5 failed cycles, so I had no hesitation to do a multiple transfers, which he reluctantly agreed to. We ended up with only two blasts and we put two blasts in. I'm luckily pregnant, my betas aren't crazy so we think it's just a singleton.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Weckstein cares a lot about what he does and cares about his patients. He is knowledgable and helpful. He likes to use numbers and statistics which I love. Only downfall was because we are "young" we did not do testing in the beginning and had 2 failed transfers because of it. Wish we had pushed for more testing earlier.... Don't be afraid to ask questions and request testing even if he says it isn't "necessary."
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
Somedays like a number and some like a human. Just depended on the day and where we were at with cycles.
1st was Egg Retrieval and Fresh Embryo Transfer-I don't remember much about this one. SubQ shots and vaginal suppositories. This ended up in Ectopic Pregnancy-not anyones fault. 2nd was FET-vaginal estrogen and then ended up on IM estrogen because my lining was not thickening. Then when uterine lining was 8mm started in vaginal progesterone and IM progesterone (had low progesterone before). This turned out to be a BFN. 3rd FET-Same as before but started IM estrogen way earlier and lining was perfect at first ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Laura is absolutely amazing! She truly cares about me and our outcomes. I dealt with other staff there (I don't remember names) and they were not as good as her.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The clinic is very far away (2.5 hour drive) away from me but that isn't their fault. They did change their computer system last year and that was quite the hassle for patients and there new online system is confusing. Otherwise the equipment, people and lab is amazing. A lab onsite makes a huge difference.
25,000 for Egg Retrieval and Embryo Transfer (not including medication) 5,000 for FET-not including medication
They have suggested for us only single embryo transfer because we are young and have good embryos (as far as we know).
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Science Center?
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr weckstein goes above and beyond to make sure the patient has a clear understanding of procedures and outcomes. He has an amazing way of keeping us informed with any risks but also keeps us positive. Not all doctors can do that. He's a wonderful communicator and has always made follow-up calls personally...As soon as he found out my HCG levels were dropping he called me personally. He's always called with Important news, good or bad. He knew I was upset and made a follow up call. When I've gone Into this very busy clinic for blood tests, he knows exactly who I am and remembers out sons names. He is the most personable doctor I've ever had.
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr weckstein goes above and beyond to make sure the patient has a clear understanding of procedures and outcomes. He has an amazing way of keeping us informed with any risks but also keeps us positive. Not all doctors can do that. He's a wonderful communicator and has always made follow-up calls personally. If he happens to catch us in the office while doing blood work, he always stops and says hello.
Trust. Trust that he will help you make the best decision for your specific situation. He will treat you according to what your body is doing.
Birth control, estradiol, menopur, progesterone suppositories, baby aspirin and follistim IVF fresh cycle, 5 day embryo. Transfered two and delivered a healthy baby boy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat and now currently Sara)
Again, above and beyond. The classes with catherine were informative, the delivery of the meds from the pharmacy she recommended were amazing. They delivered our meds to our hotel while in dianeyland. They waited in a refrigerator until we arrived. Sara (with this current IVF cycle) has also been amazing. She was a listening ear when I miscarried. She was compassionate, sympathetic and encouraging when I needed it the most. She knows our family when we go in for labs and goes out of her way to see us before we leave. Catherine was the same way also. All around beautiful people in the right profession.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Strengths: hands down the most professional clinic with the most skilled professional staff. It seems as though they specifially hand pick their employees. Not just your run of the mill hiring process, but they deliberately choose staff who are all equally compassionate, professional wonderful people. The weakness: they make it hard to leave. They give you a "graduation package" when you're ready to move onto your your regular OB. I love my OB but oh how I wish they could see me through the actual delivery process.
Roughly 12,000 IVF 1800 icsi 2500 meds
He told us the benefits of eset and the complications that could arise with transferring multiple embryos If they took. We'd tried for so many years we were willing to take the chance of multiples.
San Ramon
Dr Weckstein felt like my dad. He seemed concerned over my concerns and wanted to make me feel completely comfortable. I was debating about PGS testing and he said, if you were my wife going through this I would say it's unnecessary. I appreciated his honesty and that he put himself in my shoes.... Always willing to chat, responded quickly to e-mails, went over shots with husband even though we didn't have a scheduled appointment. The last week of progesterone inserts I was not comfortable using the ones that the pharmacy had sent (they were red) so they supplied me (at no charge) a weeks worth of inserts that were white to ease my mind.
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr Weckstein was kind and supportive in the whole process. He was optimistic, which at times was hard (due to a cycle previously not taking and miscarriages) but was appreciated. He walked me through each possible step and possibly outcomes. I felt that he truly cared about me as a person, not just a patient.
To not be in a rush. He walks through everything in a slow calm manner, I am not a slow manner type person and it took me a minute to calm down. I was always wanting to rush through each appointment, he was patient and thorough.
We did FET. We started on estrace, vitamin D, then progesterone shots, and progesterone inserts. Continued meds until week 9 of pregnancy, then tapered off. I am currently 17 weeks pregnant with a singleton.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Clinic is ran very smoothly. There are several nurses and doctors so if your Dr/Nurse is not available someone else will be. They are willing to work with your schedule, if you "need" to be seen on a day that your doctor is off, they will find someone to see you.
We had FET and total cost, not including medications, was around $5K.
2005 - 2012
Dr Weckstein is an extremely kind man. He is knowledgeable and builds a relationship through excellent communication and sharing of information. He was not pushy at all, and I never felt talked down to or treated in a condescending manner, like I have with other medical specialists. He is a humble man, easy to talk to, quick to respond to questions and concerns...cares deeply about his patients.
2005 - 2012
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
To trust him, he is a very good doctor and cares deeply about his patients.
He was kind, respectful, and always cautiously optimistic. Never made promises, was realistic.
On our third and final IVF cycle, he gave us the option of transferring 4 embryos, as he stated they were perfect. He didn’t push, but left it up to us. We chose to transfer all four. One took, and we have a beautiful girl! In the two previous cycles, we unsuccessfully transferred 3 embryos.
Very informed and did a fantastic job on training is in giving injections. Always returned calls quickly.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Very positive experience. Patients need to be very well versed on what, if anything their insurance covers. Office did a great job working with me and my insurance , but I had to be proactive. Insurance companies are all different, with Varied coverage. I didn’t expect office to know everything about my coverage, but they fought for what I was covered for!
Our insurance covered all IUI, and all of the IVF, except for the medication.
We were Very well educated in the risks of a multi-embryo transfers.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr Weckstein [at Reproductive Science Center] adjusted my second cycle accordingly and we had success and also were able to freeze 3 day 5 blasts. He was caring and informed....Dr Weckstein cared about us and our situation. Our success was his success....I purchased a 2 fresh unlimited frozen package. Used the first fresh with no success in October 2015. Used the second fresh which resulted in pregnancy in January 2016. The package includes all the blood work and monitoring apts, egg retreival and transfer and freeze costs for 6 months. It was around $23,000. I also paid for ICSI $1750 My meds total for both rounds equaled $5500. Roughly $30,000 total.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr Weckstein adjusted my second cycle accordingly and we had success and also were able to freeze 3 day 5 blasts. He was caring and informed.
Go to him for infertility. He's been in the business over 30 years. He has a ton of knowledge with infertility. Very very smart man.
Dr Weckstein cared about us and our situation. Our success was his success.
Can't remember the first protocol but I had 10 eggs and none fertilized. The second go around I did a micro dose Lupron protocol. I had 7 eggs and 6 fertilized. 4 made it to day 5 and were graded exceptionally high.
2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Louis Weckstein] was very nice and gave us honest opinions.... This clinic [RSC-San Ramon] uses a team, so while you might not always see your assigned doctor, they are all excellent. We saw 3 doctors and many nurses throughout our 1 cycle of IVF, which resulted in a twin pregnancy & twin birth- so we're very happy at the success resulting from this clinic.
2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
This clinic uses a team, so while you might not always see your assigned doctor, they are all excellent. We saw 3 doctors and many nurses throughout our 1 cycle of IVF, which resulted in a twin pregnancy & twin birth- so we're very happy at the success resulting from this clinic.
Be patient with the treatment cycle, and go early in age. You have better chances in your 30's than you do older.
He was very nice and gave us honest opinions.
We used ICSI, which was an additional cost, but worth it to give us the best chances. One round is so expensive, we wanted the best chance of success. We didn't end up with any embryos to freeze.
The nurses were nice, but often there was a lot of waiting. I remember the front office staff being very disorganized.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The front office staff was often disorganized and not very polite, but I think that's often the case in medical clinics as this is not the first time I have experienced this. Wait times were often long.
The clinic strongly recommends transfer of 2 embryos, and I was told it was a 50% chance that I would be pregnant. It worked and I had twins.
San Ramon
He [Dr. Louis Weckstein] has a lot of experience. He is very honest, but compassionate at the same time. He doesn't work every day, so I did see other doctors. They were also very kind and knowledgeable. Overall, the doctors seem to be the best you can get. Tons of experience, very supportive, and always patient.... Be patient. He knows what he is doing!... They [RSC Nurses] are on top of everything, work together well, and very compassionate.
How was your experience with Louis Weckstein at Reproductive Science Center?
He has a lot of experience. He is very honest, but compassionate at the same time. He doesn't work every day, so I did see other doctors. They were also very kind and knowledgeable. Overall, the doctors seem to be the best you can get. Tons of experience, very supportive, and always patient.
Be patient. He knows what he is doing!
They are on top of everything, work together well, and very compassionate. I felt very comfortable with all of them.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Streamlined treatment. They know what they are doing and do it well. I felt like everyone was invested in my treatment--from the phlebotomist to the financial counselors. They each did their job well! They all understood the burden of infertility.
$3000 Insurance covered most