Alabama Fertility Specialists

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolMed Col of Georgia
ResidencyU of North Carolina
FellowshipU of Alabama
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mamie McLean to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alabama Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Dr McLean has been a very good doctor to me. She explains all of our problems and discusses what our options are at each visit. When new information is found, she adjusts the plan accordingly without falter. She is caring and has been a shoulder for me to cry on when things have not gone as planned.... She performed by HSG test and I had a uncommon reaction. Dr McLean stayed with me the entire time... I took Femara, because of my PCOS and did a trigger shot to induce ovulation.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Be upfront with your expectations and your situation. If finances are a concern, say that. She won’t push you into unnecessary tests and procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr McLean has been a wonderful doctor. She performed by HSG test and I had a uncommon reaction. Dr McLean stayed with me the entire time and helped me dress myself and to my car. She frequently calls me to check in and explains things in a way that is to the point, without being uncaring. I’m so thankful that we use her as our doctor.
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We had planned to do a medicated cycle with IUI. I took Femara, because of my PCOS and did a trigger shot to induce ovulation. We were unable to go through with the IUI because of my husband’s sperm quality the day of, so she drew more labs to further investigate that.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. They are able to help you with most any question that you may have. The two ladies that work at the desk know you by name. The nurses are also nice and get your vitals done quickly
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
IUI $345, office visit $100
Birmingham
she [Dr. McLean] started me on Femarra. I did 3 rounds of Femarra with her. I also had ultrasounds to check follicles. On round 2 and 3 she added a trigger shot. After an unsuccessful roind 3 we were told IUI was our next step...When I first met with her it was evident that she had read my file. She spent so much time just getting to know me and asking tons of questions. She also took the time to explain everything and every medical term she went over.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. McLean is very sweet and kind. She is very personable and takes the time to get to know you. I called into the office on the weekend because I had bad back pain and she called me personally to talk to me.
Know that she cares
By the time I saw De McLean I had laresdy done 6 rounds of Clomid so she started me on Femarra. I did 3 rounds of Femarra with her. I also had ultrasounds to check follicles. On round 2 and 3 she added a trigger shot. After an unsuccessful roind 3 we were told IUI was our next step.
There were times that I was told different things to do during my cycle than what I had discussed with Dr. McLean. Other than that the nurse that I talked to on a regular basis was very sweet and kind. She returned my calls and answered every question.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
I had a wonderful experience at this clinic from the front desk, to the nurses, doctor, and the lab techs. Everyone was kind and caring. The one con I had was the nurse telling me differently than what the doctor and i had discussed.
I paid my co-pay for seeing a specialist of ~$60
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr McLean is very compassionate. She really cares about her patients and is always willing to listen. I felt like she lets me have an active role in the treatment. She is always open to hear about the research I have made on my own and tries to adjust protocols including my thoughts. She always answers all the e-mails I write to the UAB portal within the same day....I had one unsuccessful IUI with Dr McLean and two Ivf's. Since I have diminished ovarian reserve I don't have many eggs. However I responded quite well to Dr McLeans protocol ( antagonist, 300 Gonal F, 150 Menopur) They were able to freeze 4 embryos and they all came back pgs normal. I am currently waiting for my first transfer.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
You can totally trust this doctor. The best way to communicate with her is via the patient portal.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr McLean was always very understanding and supportive. She always listens, is open to try new things and gets in touch with you immediately if you have any questions
Describe the protocols Mamie McLean used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Alabama Birmingham. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Laura was always very kind and understanding. She is very organized, always responded my messages within the same day, sended out prescriptions in time.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
This team is really great! The doctors seem to be up to date with all the tratment options. They also habe a really good lab and Embriologyst ( Dr. Edmonds)
Birmingham
At our first consultation, Dr. McLean spent an hour with us answering our questions.... We used ICSI because of male factor infertility and the fact the sperm had to be retrieved. Although it was male factor, I got thoroughly checked out too. I think I ended up being on a low dose of meds. We had ~20 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized and 3 embryos made it. 1 successfully transferred and 2 frozen. She said we had a low number of embryos from 20 eggs because of male factor.
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I could not have had a better experience with Dr. McLean. I think what made it so great was communication. I could send her a question through the portal and get an immediate answer. In person, she never made me feel rushed. Her answers to my questions were always honest and we'll thought out.
Definitely use her!
At our first consultation, Dr. McLean spent an hour with us answering our questions. She made us feel at ease. During the process, the time she spent with me and the way she listened often made me feel like I was her only patient.
Always communicated quickly and answered all my questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham.
I fortunately had insurance that covered but without it would have been about 10k.
Describe Mamie McLean's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
She gave us the option but was honest that in our case eSet was probably the best choice.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
[Protocol with Dr. Mclean was] Femara with low dose steroid and IUI, femara due to pcos. Steroid due to endo, PCOS, and autoimmune issues. Baby aspirin whole pregnancy...She is the most compassionate person and takes the time to figure out what you need... thinks outside the box. She won’t give up until she finds what works. She takes the time to explain everything and answer every question.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Mamie McLean at University of Alabama Birmingham?
There are no weaknesses! Dr. McLean is brilliant, compassionate and thinks outside the box. She won’t give up until she finds what works. She takes the time to explain everything and answer every question.
Go to her!!!
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Dr. McLean was at UAB but has now moved to Alabama Fertility Specialists. Both places are fabulous! I have no complaints about my experience at UAB and have also had a good recent experience at her new place.
My insurance covered IUI. I had to pay for meds.