Medical SchoolTulane
FellowshipU. of Oregon
7920 ACC Bld
Raleigh, NC 27617
919-908-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Marc Fritz to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UNC Fertility to a friend?
Friendly, comforting and very informative. I was scared to undergo one of my procedures and he [Dr. Fritz] calmly walked me through it step by step, which really helped me not freak out. He gives every bit of information relating to your options and answers any questions thoroughly. He also took it upon himself to contact my regular OBGYN and let her know what was going on.... Initial consultation, HSG to check for any blockages, left tube blocked but developed a plan for IUI going forward with an understanding that we will consider IVF in the event that IUI fails.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Friendly, comforting and very informative. I was scared to undergo one of my procedures and he calmly walked me through it step by step, which really helped me not freak out. He gives every bit of information relating to your options and answers any questions thoroughly. He also took it upon himself to contact my regular OBGYN and let her know what was going on.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Be ready for a lot of information but don't be afraid to ask questions or clarify things!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Dr. F is very friendly and personable right from the start, he was very welcoming and easy to talk to and gave us a ton of information on our first visit. He discussed our test results and explained what they meant and what we should do going forward. His information was very thorough and he was quick with scheduling and even informed us that he had a preplanned trip so would be out of office for a few days after one of our procedures.
Describe the protocols Marc Fritz used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Everyone seems really nice and friendly, very good at communicating basic procedures (taking blood, whatever else) and they have a great portal that I can access at anytime with questions or to look at my records/ schedule. Also, very helpful with financial counseling.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very organized and easy to access information either by phone or through the portal; feels very patient oriented. They are constantly reaching out about scheduling questions or finance questions. Nice office space, although it's a bit of a drive from where we are.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
My insurance does not cover UNC but they have reached out about financial counseling multiple times. We have paid for everything up front and it has been fine so far.
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Dr. Fritz is clearly a leading expert in his field, is willing to take risks and adapt treatment as necessary for patients, and clearly cares about success. He is good at explaining concepts and procedures. He is not always the best listener, which can be critical in adapting unsuccessful strategies early (since management is pretty decentralized), or in making patients feel confident about course of action...Dr. Fritz put me on his "eye of newt" protocol
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Be proactive about your own case management.
In my 3rd - 5th IVF cycles Dr. Fritz put me on his "eye of newt" protocol (estrace flare + HGH), which involved 375 Gonal + 75 Menapur + Lupron + estrace and 20 units of Human growth hormone (HGH). I had very unresponsive ovaries. My memory is that critical factors in these cycles tended to be management at the beginning of the cycle; whether we could successfully suppress follicle growth to get them to grow together, which apparently is a problem with severe DOR. Original intent in treatment was to save freezable embryos before trying to conceive; by the 5th cycle with 0 freezable embryos my goal was simply to have a baby. For each cycle we transferred available embryos at day 3 because there were so few. In the 5th cycle one of the three embryos resulted in a life birth. (whew!)
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly Bell)
Amazing. The nursing team makes all the difference in cycle management.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strengths: clean, INCREDIBLE nursing staff, great email communication, good and responsive support with insurance Weaknesses: not always flexible to accommodate difficult patient protocols, appointments not always on time
Describe Marc Fritz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
I had very few embryos and unproductive ovaries, so by the last cycle (#5) we just threw all 3 in. Dr. Fritz discussed risks with me, and his approach seemed to be consistent with my preferences and the specifics of my case.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Fritz has been compassionate, empathetic, open to my feedback and ideas, listened to the concerns of myself and my husband, and is not afraid to touch me when he is talking to me. During pre-op for my polypectomy he came to see me and listened to my questions and talked to me instead of at me. He also checked on me on the night of the same day I had surgery.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Fritz is one of the best fertility doctors in the nation. He literally wrote the infertility textbook that is used in medical schools. I wouldn't go anywhere else. He has worked with us every step of the way to ensure that our questions were answered and that we understood every procedure and treatment we have done. He is warm and personable.
Be as open and honest as you possibly can. If you hold things back or don't tell him everything he can't provide you with the best quality service.
We have done three cycles of IUI with a dosage of 100mg of Clomid with each one and then a follicle scan to determine when I would ovulate and the best time to do the IUI. We have not gotten pregnant with any of these cycles.
I think the nursing staff at his office is wonderful. They will respond to emails in a timely manner and are very good with communication.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They just implemented a new online service where you can view your testing data, send emails to the doctors and nurses, and set appointments. I like this because it makes communication easier. Before the online system I was less than impressed with how they reported testing results but since it is much better. They are kind and compassionate and will work with you on scheduling. As is necessary in the fertility business they are open 7 days a week so you can schedule treatment for Saturday or Sunday if you need to. It is a small clinic and they do have lots of students (fellows) that come there to observe and learn.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
My insurance paid for all 3 of our IUI cycles AFTER I hit my deductible amount of $2,000. I think I paid a little over 300.00 for the first cycle and then my deductible kicked in. The rest I'm not sure about.
What specific things went wrong at UNC Fertility?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr Fritz explained from the very beginning that IVF was probably our last resort, and we had approached that point (not a hard sell, just informative). He listened to my concerns and considered my requests for extra tests, procedures, etc. My husband and I had several unsuccessful FET's and I felt like we all learned from each one and implemented steps to make the next one more likely to succeed. Eventually, we did have success.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
The clinic has a very warm. welcoming staff overall. I really felt as though they understood what to say (and more importantly, what not to say) to someone experiencing infertility. Dr Fritz has a top-notch bedside manner, and probably made me laugh at every single appointment. I felt like the entire clinic wanted us to have a successful pregnancy.
I had unexplained infertility so I think I had a very basic protocol with Lupron, menopur, and Gonal-F. This did not change much through the course of four cycles. My retrievals produced good results for my age (38-39). We did PGS testing on all our day 5 embryos, then froze them all. We never did a fresh transfer because we were embryo banking.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Snyder)
Wendy is the best of the best.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The number of patients seemed smaller than at my first clinic. Everyone knew my name and remembered me at my visits. I was always seen within 10 minutes of arriving. The doctor staff rotated the monitoring visits, and I never had a bad experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
We were accepted into the Attain program, which was $18,900 for two cycles. We ended up doing two cycles with embryo banking and then two FET's, which did not result in a successful pregnancy. Then we did it all over again, two more cycles at $18,900 with embryo banking and one FET. The medications were extra. Overall we spent approx $50,000 on IVF. None of it was covered under United Healthcare.
Dr Fritz encouraged us to do eSET for our FET's. We did eSET for the first two FET's, which resulted in a negative beta and a chemical pregnancy. For our third FET my husband and I decided to transfer two embryos. Dr Fritz was not in favor of this decision, but considering our history and age, was willing to do as we wished.
Raleigh
Dr. Fritz was incredibly knowledgable and helpful in determining why it was taking us so long to get pregnant. We never felt rushed with him, and he always provided very detailed explanations of what was going on and why...I presented some symptoms of having PCOS, including increased hormonal acne once I stopped taking birth control, but did not have many of the most symptoms (I'm tall and very thin). He identified this immediately, and tracked my ovulation to find that I was not, in fact, ovulating...
Go see him!
Dr. Fritz was very sweet about asking us about our life and sharing information on his own. He has also since followed up after we moved to help connect us with other doctors if need be, and was always very responsive to our needs and concerns.
I presented some symptoms of having PCOS, including increased hormonal acne once I stopped taking birth control, but did not have many of the most symptoms (I'm tall and very thin). He identified this immediately, and tracked my ovulation to find that I was not, in fact, ovulating. We tried letrozole, two different doses, to induce ovulation, but they did nothing. We then went to climbed, which resulted in two back to back cycles of ovulation. On the second, I went in and they saw two very mature eggs on my ultrasound, and so gave me a shot that caused the eggs to release. 2 weeks later, I had a positive pregnancy test, and 7 weeks ago I gave birth to a perfect baby boy. The whole time, the office and Dr. Fitz were incredibly supportive, and watched over my early pregnancy with great care until they discharged me to my normal OB/GYN.
I LOVED the nursing staff. So sweet, so caring, and so professional. They made me excited to go back and see them, and were always so reassuring and positive. Definitely a highlight of the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
We have great insurance, and they covered it all.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Fritz] was very cold, lacked the ability to listen. His immediate and then persistent insistence that I use my sisters eggs gave me the impression the clinic is overly concerned with their success numbers. I was informed of my infertility in one breath, and pushed toward my estranged sister's eggs in the next... I suppose that was a natural transition for him, but not for us. He also had a constant sniffle and struggled to look us in the eye, constantly staring at his computer. I was also pushed toward surgery, and then could not get him or his office to follow up as I tried to schedule it...
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Met with him 3 times. He was very cold, lacked the ability to listen. His immediate and then persistent insistence that I use my sisters eggs gave me the impression the clinic is overly concerned with their success numbers. I was informed of my infertility in one breath, and pushed toward my estranged sister's eggs in the next... I suppose that was a natural transition for him, but not for us. He also had a constant sniffle and struggled to look us in the eye, constantly staring at his computer. I was also pushed toward surgery, and then could not get him or his office to follow up as I tried to schedule it.
Be mentally prepared to feel treated as just another patient in a factory of infertility. Science and numbers are his strength, not compassion.
He repeatedly asked the same questions, to which I had the same answers. Tests were done, but results were not always shared. Complete lack of response when attempting to schedule surgery.
My routine physical revealed the presence of uterine fibroids, which after a few other steps, led me to this clinic. He ordered the blood work, which ultimately sealed my fate... Nearly nondetectable AMH. He ordered the X-ray test to determine the patency of my tubes, which were determined to be fully open. At which point, he recommended surgery to remove the fibroids as a first step toward the possibility of conceiving. Our discussion left off with me needing to check into work and insurance, at which point I would call to schedule. I did all this as planned, but could not get through to get it on the books. I gave up after several phone calls, one I was able to get with another clinic.
Very little interaction with the nurses. The front desk/reception was unorganized and unprofessional at times, of which the nurses had a hand in. Otherwise, they really just checked my blood pressure and weight, confirmed the info on my chart was correct.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Beautiful office with coffee and water available. Front desk/reception was somewhat disorganized. Nurses were good, no nonsense, quick and to the point.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
It's been a while, and I have a terrible memory... But, I believe the charges were around $400 to sit and speak with the Doctor- to get results and recommendations.
Raleigh
He [Dr. Marc Fritz] is always very kind and asks about my over all well being, not just parent planning. He feels like more than a doctor but also a friend...He is very thorough and straight forward, never leaving me to second guess what is next...Even when he was pretty certain both my tubes were open from a previous HSG test, after seeing hospital notes from 2004 that said one tube was scared and possibly blocked, he decided to perform another one to be sure. That spoke volumes to me!
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
He listens to all of my concerns and treats each one with high importance. He is very thorough and straight forward, never leaving me to second guess what is next. Phenomenal doctor! Even when he was pretty certain both my tubes were open from a previous HSG test, after seeing hospital notes from 2004 that said one tube was scared and possibly blocked, he decided to perform another one to be sure. That spoke volumes to me!
Be total open and honest so that he can help as best as possible. Don't be shy or embarassed to share anything.
He is always very kind and asks about my over all well being, not just parent planning. He feels like more than a doctor but also a friend.
So far he has checked hormone levels, my egg reserve, and even performed an HSG. Everything looks good on my end but we do know my partner has a sperm count issue. We are waiting for him to be seen to see if IVF will be our only option. So far we think it is.
They are always very welcoming and assuring. Fertility treatment can be quite stressful and embarrassing but they never make you feel this way. I am very open to discussing any issues with all of the friendly nurse staff at UNC.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
I honestly cannot name a weakness. This team is excellent! They are prompt, attentative, reassuring and most of all very positive. Going through the struggle of fertility treatment, it is very important to have as much positivity as possible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
So far I've only paid for the visit fee.
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Fritz was patient and kind. He explained things gently and allowed us time to grieve and process our feelings, and he always had tissues available!... I consider Dr. Fritz to be one of the most knowledgeable doctors in his field. He has a ton of experience in this field and is very smart. He is personable and easy to understand, and takes the time to explain.... Fresh IVF cycle: Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, HCG, and Crinone. ICSI used to to husband's low sperm count.
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Ask questions! If you don't he will assume you understand.
Fresh IVF cycle: Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, HCG, and Crinone. ICSI used to to husband's low sperm count. 30 eggs retrieved, 18 fertilized, 3 survived to day 5. 2 embryos were transferred and 1 was frozen. Of the 2 transferred, 1 implanted and split. Frozen cycle: estradiol and progesterone. The frozen embryo did not survive the thaw.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy)
Mindy was very personable and friendly. She always had a positive attitude. She was prompt returning emails and phone calls, and was not annoyed when I asked her a million questions.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strengths: It is very clean and a nice environment. The staff is very friendly. All of the nurses are good at drawing blood. Weaknesses: sometimes hard to get an appointment due to high demand of doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
I don't remember exactly. I want to say around $15,000 for IVF and about $5,000 for meds. I used the Attain program though, so I paid for more cycles than needed, since I got pregnant on the first try. All expenses must be pain up front before IVF can be scheduled. Frozen transfer was around $5,000.
Dr. Fritz prefers to transfer 1 embryo, but leaves the ultimate decision to the couple. He would not transfer any more than 2 due to my age.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Fritz is kind and gentle as a provider. He takes the time to make sure I am comfortable (physically) and frequently asks how I am feeling during procedures. During consultations he explains things clearly and remains positive and genuine. The clinic is busy and the wait for a consultation is occasionally longer than I'd prefer, but when in an appointment he is fully present and engaged.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Fritz is a compassionate doctor with a kind bedside manner. His wealth of experience in infertility treatment is incredibly valuable to me as a patient. He also consults with other doctors (in and out of the practice) when necessary.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy is truly one of the most caring people I have the pleasure of knowing. She's knowledgeable, patient, kind and well-organized. She answers emails regularly at off-hours and weekends, no matter how trivial the question or concern.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic's support staff is phenomenal. They learn your name quickly and genuinely care to provide a good experience when infertility is very stressful. The clinic is very busy, so if they are running behind you will have longer than average wait times.
What specific things went wrong at UNC Fertility?
2008 - 2011
He [Dr. Fritz] listens to what you're saying and acts accordingly. He's aggressive in terms of trying to get a woman pregnant. He sets the program and changed it whenever we needed. When I had to do an HSG, he walked me through exactly what would happen and when my results came back negative, he let me know immediately...He was very clear on his expectations given my age at the time....the nurses were the ones giving me my inseminations.
2008 - 2011
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
He listens to what you're saying and acts accordingly. He's aggressive in terms of trying to get a woman pregnant. He sets the program and changed it whenever we needed. When I had to do an HSG, he walked me through exactly what would happen and when my results came back negative, he let me know immediately.
He's 100% on your side when it comes to doing everything he can to get you pregnant and listens.
He was very clear on his expectations given my age at the time. His office staff was also very nice, which was a huge, since the nurses were the ones giving me my inseminations.
I was on nothing until after my 3rd try and then I went in for an HSG and was put on 50mg of clomid.
They were fine. My last nurse was a little aggressive with my IUI, but I can't complain because that was the one that actually took.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
It's a little hard to find when you first go there because the inseminations happened in UNC Medical, which is somewhat of a maze. Otherwise, I've got no complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
They were cheap because infertility was actually covered under my healthcare plan at the time. At most it was about $150 per visit.
Raleigh
There simply is no one better. He [Marc Fritz] has been in the field for so long and was so encouraging through the entire process. I wouldn’t have my babies today had he not been the angel he was. There is a reason he’s in such high demand throughout the triangle... He was so caring and never once rushed me through an appointment. He was so attentive to my concerns and questions.
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
There simply is no one better. He has been in the field for so long and was so encouraging through the entire process. I wouldn’t have my babies today had he not been the angel he was. There is a reason he’s in such high demand throughout the triangle.
Tell him all your concerns. Ask any question.
He wanted to be as minimally invasive as possible and let God be God and do the work.
They are the best. Available 24/7 and ALWAYS with a smile on their faces.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
They are the best. No weaknesses that I encountered. Even down to waiting - you didn’t sit in the waiting room long. I would put them up against everyone in the nation and have no doubt they’d come out on top.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility.
He was much more economical than the first clinic I used. He also ALWAYS tried to bill insurance before charging me out of pocket.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Marc Fritz] is so careful and kind. When you meet him you feel like family with him and all the staff. He talks to you so you understand everything and doesn’t promise what he can’t deliver. He is honest and upfront about your outcome... Dr Fritz is a top notch docto, friend and cheerleader during the entire process. Without him and God my twins wouldn’t be here.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Marc Fritz at UNC Fertility?
Two words... love him! There is nobody better, guaranteed! The next best is God himself. Dr Fritz is a top notch docto, friend and cheerleader during the entire process. Without him and God my twins wouldn’t be here.
Go! Don’t wait!
He is so careful and kind. When you meet him you feel like family with him and all the staff. He talks to you so you understand everything and doesn’t promise what he can’t deliver. He is honest and upfront about your outcome.
We used fertility drugs and did two fresh transfers and one frozen transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Love her! The best!!
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The only problem I had was with the financial department getting things straight. Part of it was Attain and part of it was the clinic. Once we had it figured out it was smooth sailing. That was the only problem I experienced.
Given my age he allowed me to put 2 embryos in.