Available by cell phone
Thousand Oaks
77 Rolling Oaks Dr, Suite 306
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361
818-946-8051
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Marc Kalan to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Los Angeles Reproductive Center to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological
The two hour drive to his office and two hour drive back home was way worth it to us. Dr. Kalan never gave up on us and told us that we would get pregnant. With his expertise, he gave us a protocol that would finally make our frozen transfer work! We now have a beautiful 15 month old boy and are currently working with Dr. Kalan for our next child... He made my husband and I so calm during this emotional process and guided us through each step of IVF.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Immunological
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
My husband and I have a special place in our heart for Dr. Kalan. He has given us the best gift ever, and I could never repay him. My husband and I had seen a few fertility specialist over the 5 years of TTC, and right when we met Dr. Kalan I knew we had found our match. He made my husband and I so calm during this emotional process and guided us through each step of IVF. The two hour drive to his office and two hour drive back home was way worth it to us. Dr. Kalan never gave up on us and told us that we would get pregnant. With his expertise, he gave us a protocol that would finally make our frozen transfer work! We now have a beautiful 15 month old boy and are currently working with Dr. Kalan for our next child. I would highly recommend Dr. Kalan to any who is unfortunately dealing with infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
It is always scary to start this emotional process but having Dr. Kalan on your side will give you the comfort and strength you need to go through this journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Dr. Kalan cared about my husband and I. He felt our love and need for a child. He knew that it would be a challenge to get us pregnant with all of our infertility issues, but he made a promise to us that he would never give up. He gave us his personal cell number and always checked to see how we were doing.
Describe the protocols Marc Kalan used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center LA and their degree of success.
I used Bravell and Menopur to increase follicle size. I got 5 frozen embryos using ICSI and we genetically tested them. The first two IVF frozen transfers (1 embryo each time) came out negative. Before IVF, I was having recurring miscarriages and Dr. Kalan wanted some answers to why. He had a few test done that revealed that I have antiphospholipid syndrome and that I am heterozygous for the mthfr gene mutation. After the findings of this information, Dr. Kalan came out with a plan to get us pregnant. The next IVF cycle, we added lovenox shots and intralipid infusion. We did the intralipid infusion an hour before transfer. This third frozen transfer was a success, and I know have a beautiful 16 month boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Amber)
The nursing staff was very friendly, and I loved how they all knew me by name. Every visit they made sure to make me feel welcomed. They were very good at calling in medication and keeping me updated.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
This clinic is amazing. I love that you can get an appointment last minute. They are always willing to fit you in and make sure your on the right schedule. They are very busy, but they make sure to stay on time. I travel 2 hours and I am happy to know that I will be scene right away.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
$18,000 for the first round of IVF and transfer. $4,000 Each additional frozen transfer.
Describe Marc Kalan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
Dr. Kalan encouraged single embryo transfer but was open to two embryo transfers. In my case, my embryos were tested and normal, so he encouraged one embryo and I agreed.
Encino

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA.

2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
I often did not hear back from him [Dr. Kalan] in a timely manner, especially important when we were waiting on results and corresponding medication instructions. I do feel like he was up on the latest technology and willing to think outside of the box, which I liked... don't be afraid to mention alternatives if you feel strongly about them. Luckily, Dr. Kalan is pretty open there...I appreciated Dr. Kalan's suggestion of using milder stimulants, which I wanted to try given my situation. I was on the standard protocol utilizing Menopur and Gonal F, and later Cetrotide. As mentioned, we started out with fantastic results, many eggs retrieved/fertilized/sent for genetic testing. But unfortunately, we ended up with negative results. I do feel like Dr. Kalan tried to consider all avenues. We are considering next steps.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I did appreciate Dr. Kalan being available for each visit. And when I asked, he did review details with me and help explain results. He also did try to work with my budget and to see if there was any way to work with disappointing results, which I appreciated. I didn't necessarily feel like he really empathized with our setbacks, which I had heard was a strong trait. I often did not hear back from him in a timely manner, especially important when we were waiting on results and corresponding medication instructions. I do feel like he was up on the latest technology and willing to think outside of the box, which I liked.
I have said this in my other reviews, you have to be your own advocate. I did have to ask many questions and follow up with the doctor and staff several times for clarification. Also, don't be afraid to mention alternatives if you feel strongly about them. Luckily, Dr. Kalan is pretty open there. I would say you do have to have a pretty flexible schedule, the plus and minus of seeing Dr. Kalan at each appointment.
I must admit, I felt like the level of service was hot and cold with Dr. Kalan and the clinic. I appreciated that I actually saw him at my appointments, but I had to work around his very difficult/tight schedule (and no weekend appointments), which became very problematic for me. And I did not feel much sympathy there. Initially, I was responding very well to treatment, which was well received. But later when we did not get the results we had hoped for, I did feel a bit dismissed. I guess I just never felt like the team was necessarily on my side.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA.
I feel conflicted about the nursing staff. Again, I received hot and cold service. My main two nurses could be very nice to my face, especially one of them (who was more consistent). But one time I showed up for my appointment, made eye contact with the nurse, then was told by reception that my nurse was out to lunch and I would need to wait to meet with someone else. After rearranging my schedule that day, and driving over an hour to get there, I thought it was insensitive that she would not meet with me for five minutes before handing me over to someone else. But on the flip side, she gave me her personal cell number and was there for me when I texted her late one night, which was very kind. I did not find one of the front staff receptionists helpful or warm. I would have liked to book next appointments while I was there, especially since it was very hard to fit in to the schedule, as the doctor travels between several clinics - one in Bakersfield. To note, the staff I was speaking of are at Dr. Kalan's new clinic, Los Angeles Reproductive Center. I did like the staff at Pacific Fertility LA, who helped with my egg retrieval. Overall, I just feel like Dr. Kalan and the clinic are getting very busy and may need to hire more help to continue to give the quality care they desire.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
As I mentioned earlier, I think the doctor and clinic are just too busy and need more help. Scheduling is tough, and I was met with mixed emotions about it. I think they do care, but are too rushed sometimes to convey that the way they may wish to.
Dr. Kalan did try to work with our budget. I was a grant recipient and he offered an additional discount. I felt like he was mindful of our finances when suggesting options.
Dr. Kalan's policy is to do eSET. I am fine with that decision.
Los Angeles

I believe that Dr. Kalan is smart and has the experience to have successful outcomes. He is open to my ideas and feelings about various treatment plans. He doesn't like to do the same type of protocol over and over again. He has changed my protocol with every round...I've had four miscarriages since I started treatments with him...He is down to earth and has wonderful interpersonal communication skills. He cares and has shown me that he really wants to help me have a baby.
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
I believe that Dr. Kalan is smart and has the experience to have successful outcomes. He is open to my ideas and feelings about various treatment plans. He doesn't like to do the same type of protocol over and over again. He has changed my protocol with every round. Most importantly, I know that he cares for my well-being and genuinely wants me to have a baby in the end. I've had four miscarriages since I started treatments with him, but I look at it like he is the one that has helped to get pregnant in the first place, after a year and a half of trying. I respect his opinion and I have faith that he will do his best to give me the best outcome possible. I'm not sure if this is important, but my husband likes him just as much as I do.
I would tell them that he is smart, listens and wants to help them. Just stay on top of billing and nurses when they order meds.
HSG Clomid- one month, but had to stop due to blurry vision. Got pregnant, then miscarried, had to have a D&C- result Chromosomal issue. Letrozol- nothing Letrozol- following cyclye- had to stop due to cyst. Pregnant the following month. Used Misoprostol. IUI w/ Letrozol, ectopic. Took Methtrexate. IVF #1- 7 eggs retrieved, 2 sent to PGS, none passed IVF#2- 6 eggs retrieved, 2 sent to PGS, none passed IVF#3- 7 eggs retrieved, 3 sent to PGS, 1 passed Transfer- pregnant, beta levels dropped, chemical IVF#4- 11 eggs retrieved, 5 sent to PGS, 1 normal. HSG #2 to detect growths of fibroids Hysterscopy scheduled this week. Transfer next cycle - hopefully
I think that this is a newer practice of only two doctors and they were experiencing growing pains in the beginning. I think that the nurses are getting better and better and my nurse- Amber, is so sweet and trys her hardest to get me what I need. She is available via email and most always gets back to me on the same day.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
I think that Dr Kalan is the biggest strength. I know that Dr Winkler is great as well, from other patients. I think that their weakness is ordering meds on time and in the right amounts for my insurance to approve in time. I also think its best to stay on top of the financial coordinator.
can't remember exactly pgs 7k ivf-14k biopsy for pgs 1000 pgs $250/ add'l embryo after 8 embryos tested transfer 3k
He likes to do PGS for older patients and will only transfer a single embryo that has been tested. He did say that if we did an untested cycle, he'd be willing to transfer one more, but like to only transfer singles.
Los Angeles

He [Dr Kalan] treated my wife and I with the up most respect. Additionally, he is equally professional, methodical and very thorough. He is also up to date with science. He patiently explains every detail and answers all questions never leaving you feeling rushed. He has gone above and beyond what my wife and I expected from a doctor. We are very grateful to him.
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Pacific Fertility Center LA?
Again, he is very warm, friendly, kind and overall he seems like a great guy. He treated my wife and I with the up most respect. Additionally, he is equally professional, methodical and very thorough. He is also up to date with science. He patiently explains every detail and answers all questions never leaving you feeling rushed. He has gone above and beyond what my wife and I expected from a doctor. We are very grateful to him.
Be prepared to be well taken care of. Marc Kalan is an exceptional doctor.
Marc Kalan has a beautifully warm nature. He is very caring and compassionate. Additionally, he is equally professional, methodical and thorough. He is up to date with the latest in science as well. Each and every visit my wife and I have, we feel seen and heard. We never had a long wait and were treated with the up most respect.
We used a total of 4 medications not including the trigger shot. Because I have PCOS, we decided early on to use medications that would be conducive to someone with PCOS. Example, the trigger shot is pure lupron allowing for ovulation to occur without promoting further growth of the follicles. This reduces the risk of hyper stimulation. We also decided that we are using a frozen embryo transfer in place of fresh. Marc has seen better results this way. In my research, I agree with this approach. We also are using a human growth hormone to minimize fragmentation of embryos. In past, my embryos while not severely fragmented has some fragmentation. This is an entirely new approach from all other doctors I have seen. I'm mid cycle now and have about 40 possible eggs to retrieve however Marc and I decided it best not to push to get 40. Our goal is to get 15-20 not compromising quality for quantity.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center LA. (Assigned nurse: Arielle Acosta)
So far, no complaints. Arielle has been prompt, organized and very responsible in making sure we understand our protocol. She has been good at explaining how to use the medications and has answered questions. She organized a genetic test for our donor (he lives out of state). She is also warm and friendly.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
I've been to two locations. Both are very nice, clean, peaceful. The Encino location has incredible views. The location in WLA has a bit of a feminine touch. Is a bit more upscale. I like it.
Dr. Kalan offered us a discount as we have been through a total of 9 IVFs between my wife and I, not counting the IUI's and donor sperm. I believe in total our treatment for 1 IVF cycle is adding up to be $18,000 including PGD. We used a non-profit to cover the cost of our medications.

2017 - 2019
He has been incredibly kind, considerate, available and attentive. He truly cares about you and your journey and wants the best for you. He is always accessible, including by text and will often check on you.... Dr Kalan tried IUI with chlomid as well as a trigger shot. He then tried IUI with some injectables to help me save money. When not successful, he encouraged IVF, which was his favored option from the start. I simply struggled with the cost. He also conducted various tests prior to treatment to ensure there were no complications.
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Los Angeles Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Kalan at Los Angeles Reproductive Center?
Trust him and the process. Know that he will present all options and be honest with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Kalan at Los Angeles Reproductive Center?
The entire staff is kind, compassionate and considerate. You are given individualized attention and truly cared for.
Describe the protocols Marc Kalan used in your cycles at Los Angeles Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
I love all of them! They were helpful, friendly, available any time I had questions or needed help. They were extremely supportive and truly cared about my progress.
Describe your experience with Los Angeles Reproductive Center.
They are accommodating, available, comforting and communicative. Any time I needed to get in, or had a problem, they made time for me. They are also so warm and friendly and were always willing to chat with me.
Encino

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marc Kalan at Los Angeles Reproductive Center.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
He [Dr. Kalan] was thorough and patient with us and explained things well. My only concern was he was vague about the particular situation I had in terms of his experience treating this condition and typical success rates and outcomes. He also forgot one important detail about my story during one conversation (recurrent miscarriage), and I feel like he could have been more thorough about what testing I need and could have explained that better.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Los Angeles Reproductive Center?
Dr Kalan is a very compassionate and kind doctor. He was thorough and patient with us and explained things well. My only concern was he was vague about the particular situation I had in terms of his experience treating this condition and typical success rates and outcomes. He also forgot one important detail about my story during one conversation (recurrent miscarriage), and I feel like he could have been more thorough about what testing I need and could have explained that better. Overall he is kind and patient and I appreciate that and seems to know his stuff for the most part. He is also very available
Try to get a better understanding of his success rates with your issue
Human- he is very kind and answers all of my questions, calls me himself to discuss issues as they arise, explains everything
Clomid, D&c, HSG, MRI To test for fibroids and other uterine problems
Good and kind for the most part
Describe your experience with Los Angeles Reproductive Center.
Kind and available doctor and staff, professional environment and space, well coordinated and organized, weaknesses would be some vagueness around experience of doctor and success rates, also the possible outcomes of IVF
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marc Kalan at Los Angeles Reproductive Center.
Pretty average and some things more affordable than other clinics
What specific things went wrong at Los Angeles Reproductive Center?
Encino

I did not begin treatment with this doctor [Dr. Marc Kalan]. I searched for other doctors after seeing him. ... In some ways, the doctor was patient and was passionate but other times, he was impatient as if he had somewhere to be. ... I wanted to spend more time with the doctor but he seemed in a hurry to go. ... It was my very first time visiting a fertility doctor.
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Los Angeles Reproductive Center?
I felt that the clinic was cold and no one cared. There were barely anyone at the front desk monitoring the area. It did not seem like a warm place. Overall, I did not feel comfortable there. I wanted to spend more time with the doctor but he seemed in a hurry to go.
Be more compassionate
I felt like both a number and a human. In some ways, the doctor was patient and was passionate but other times, he was impatient as if he had somewhere to be.
I did not begin treatment with this doctor. I searched for other doctors after seeing him. I searched for over 10 doctors. Spoke to a few and met one more ferti
Describe your experience with Los Angeles Reproductive Center.
The clinic seemed cold. No one was at the front desk. I had to search for assistance. I believe having staff at the counter would be very effective as I was extremely nervous going there. It was my very first time visiting a fertility doctor.
I believe it was around $10,000 per round.
What specific things went wrong at Los Angeles Reproductive Center?

IUI, 2 IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Kalan went above and beyond while we were in his care. He treated me as if I was his only patient. So caring and patient with us. I wish I could recommend him to everyone who is struggling. He was amazing. ... I think a weakness could be not getting back to me as soon as they [Pacific Fertility Center LA] should, whether it was an email or prescription that needed to be called in. A couple times I had to email Dr. Kalan and he would get right on it.
IUI, 2 IVF
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
You’re in good hands.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center LA.
This clinics strengths are they treat their patients as if they were family and friends of their own. They were always very helpful. I think a weakness could be not getting back to me as soon as they should, whether it was an email or prescription that needed to be called in. A couple times I had to email Dr. Kalan and he would get right on it.
For my first cycle of IVF we paid $20,000

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Kalan is very kind and knowledgeable. He had excellent bedside manner and we were never made to feel like any questions we had were "stupid". He did an excellent job of explaining processes and setting expectations.... Dr. Kalan has very warm and welcoming personality and we were made to feel we were in good hands. His follow-through was excellent... My husband and I really enjoyed the clinic. We thought it was very well put together - it was apparent they put a lot of thought into making the office feel warm and welcoming. The space was very clean and comfortable and not too big.
European, Latino, Native American
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Marc Kalan at Southern California Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marc Kalan at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Do your part and do research so you can get the most out of your experience. Dr. Kalan is a great doctor and a wealth of knowledge.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marc Kalan at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Southern California Reproductive Center
Burbank [Closed]

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Marc Kalan at Southern California Reproductive Center.