Medical SchoolU. of Texas Southwestern
ResidencyParkland Memorial
FellowshipUCLA
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Marcelle Cedars to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Ceders was incredibly kind and compassionate yet very honest, realistic and pragmatic in her approach. She used data and science to drive her decisions yet she was willing to try new approaches to see what could work. She was available whenever needed and would take time to answer all of my questions. She never made us feel rushed and ensured all of our questions and concerns were addressed. She never over promised and was fact-based. We trusted her expertise, knowledge and track record. I would recommend her for anyone.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Ceders is a trail blazer in this field and I was very excited and eager to work with her. She was exceptionally knowledgeable and informative. She would take calculated risks and use data and science as her guide. She was compassionate and kind in her engagement with us and we felt she had great bed-side manners.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She will tell it to you straight and use data and science - not sales tactics - to help you make decisions. She listens well and incorporates your input and concerns in her process without compromising your care and what’s best for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
My procedure included a pre-cycle of estrogen patches the cycle before retrieval. Then during retrieval cycle she prescribed Clomid for 5 days with Gonal F for about 10 days and Ganirelix and Menopur for last 3-5 days before triggering. We retrieved the eggs for inseminination then growing for 7 days and PGS testing then freezing until ready for transfer. This was due to low ovarian reserve and therefore were ‘harvesting’ as much as possible to get the number we wanted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona Gurkan)
Teona was by far another main reason I decided to work with Dr. Ceders-aside from Dr. Ceders’ excellent credentials. Teona is a very kind, genuine, compassionate and down to earth Nurse. She is funny, sweet and excellent bedside manners. You connect with Teona very quickly and you feel cared for by her. She has an ease and positive vibe about her that makes her very likeable and approachable. She is very organized, responsive and diligent. She also told us about the out of pocket discount on medications which UCSF has that saved us at least 5K each round. I recommend working with her 100%.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Clinic is clean, organized and a well oiled machine. They can see well over 100 patients on any given day and so they have a nice routine and professional set up. The receptionists, nurses, and staff are all super friendly and nice. They know what they are doing and they do it very well. The finance team was more difficult to work with and less responsive. The most consistent problem I had was dealing with finanacial counselors who were hardly available and again not very available or accommodating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Out of pocket about 14K plus about $300-400 for meds, plus 2.5K separate payment for PGS testing to outside company. Insurance out of pocket about 2-5K for each round. I did 5 rounds of retrieval only, two out of pocket and 3 with insurance.
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Dr. Ceders recommends single embryo transfer due to better mother and baby health and so we will go with her recommendation.
6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
She is was very compassionate, understanding, patient, and responsive . She was very responsive in to all our questions. She was very helpful giving info on various studies, and making sure we were coming connects to anyone else in the UCSF administration we needed to for the various departments...Demihalt protocol , with omnitrope to help increase number of follicles being stimulated
6 IVF, 6 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Be honest, ask her any question you want about ivf, you will get great responses and feel well informed about your care
She listened to me and what my concerns were before giving any suggestions for further treatment . She sympathized with my emotions and took them into account during our consultations
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona gurkan)
Current nurse Teona gurkan is great. There seems to be high turnover though and I've had two other nurses on the first cycle with dr cedars and three nurses with my other dr 's 3 cycles
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths- certain doctors like Dr cedars are really great, personable , make the process a little easier to get thru. Some of the admin staff though are a challenge to work with . One nurse was inconsistent , gave contradictory info from past nurses and could not explain why the differences, was not helpful in answering questions and did not give clear calendars. One cycle she gave me 3-4 versions because she had to keep fixing items. The genetic counselor Molly Dunn was incompetent and rude. She was incentive and careless and gave us the wrong info, initially telling us we had 3 Pgs normal embryos when the reality was our 3 embryos were aneuploidy. She corrected herself but did not even apologize acknowledging how hurtful her mistake was. She refused to schedule a call with us to discuss results and only sent emails . She argued with me on the phone when trying to explain herself.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
2012 - 2014
IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Marcelle [Dr. Cedars] was incredible, and ultimately when it came time to stop pursuing another child she was very honest, but kind and she sat with us while we cried. I'm forever grateful for her understanding and kindness during the darkest days of my life.
2012 - 2014
IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Marcelle Cedars exceeded my expectations in every way. She was amazing, and though I failed IVF and have not been able to have another child, I would still recommend her and UCSF very highly. My husband and I were very diligent about finding our doctor and we met with several, but we immediately connected with Marcelle. I always felt so lucky to have found the combination of incredible, cutting edge, world-class medicine and a lovely, compassionate bed side manner. Marcelle was incredible, and ultimately when it came time to stop pursuing another child she was very honest, but kind and she sat with us while we cried. I'm forever grateful for her understanding and kindness during the darkest days of my life. In addition to Marcelle, I saw many members of the UCSF fertility team. I could not have been more impressed with every one of them. There was only one doctor I didn't like, but they worked it so I didn't have to see him. One of the best doctors during that time was Dr. Zamah. Following a retrieval he had to tell me that we didn't get any eggs. That was a really, really hard day, but he sat with me, encouraged me and also showed a level of compassion I didn't expect from UCSF. I always said... I expected amazing medicine, I didn't expect the kindness. It's painful to go back and remember that time, because unlike many other women, I was not successful and it was the single most painful experience of my life, but I'm more than happy to share my story with any woman going through it. It's not such a unique club anymore, at least not in the Bay Area, but the pain is unique and only those of us who have walked this road truly understand what it's like. Thank you for putting this together.... I hope it helps many women!
I really don't have any advice. I just loved her and thought so highly of her!
Yes, I always felt known by Marcelle and her team. I found them all to be kind, compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill was ALWAYS so responsive and organized. She answered every question and was always happy to follow-up. The day she had to call me with my pregnancy test results and they were negative, I could just feel how sorry she was she had to give me the news. I felt like she was always rooting for me. When we stopped pursuing IVF, she set me up with the on-staff psychiatrist to talk to me. Jill was great and to this day I feel like I can reach out with any question and she'd get right back to me!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Cedars was willing to discuss my prognosis and explain the science behind her advice. She was empathetic and kind....I was impressed both with Dr. Cedars' communication and her creativity in approaching my treatment. I'm very evidence-based, and I love how she pulled up research on her computer to show me what the current evidence is on IVF. But she wasn't just a data whiz, she also listened to my experience at my previous clinic and talked about why their approach might not have worked well for me. Then she explained how her approach would be different, and we immediately saw better results. Whenever I was able to see her in clinic or for a transfer, I felt comforted.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Insist as much as you can to have her do your retrieval(s) or transfer(s) personally. She's a busy woman so you have to assert yourself. But she's so worth it.
Her approach was to decrease my doses because my previous clinic had me on the highest doses possible and we weren't getting many follicles. Her theory was that I was overstimulated, and that was driving down the quality (and quantity) of eggs. So lower stim doses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
All of the nursing staff were good. I always felt they could have been a little warmer, because I was always in such a fragile state, but none of them were unkind.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The front desk can be frustrating to deal with. They feel much more institutional than the rest of the staff, and it's here that you really realize you're dealing with a university hospital. Finance in particular can be a big pain. If you have a partner or friend who can advocate for you to deal with the finance people and even for scheduling, that may save you some stress.
Approximately $12k per fresh IVF cycle
San Francisco
Dr. Marcelle Cedars was relentlessly human with us at every turn. We never felt like she was annoyed or rushed - rather, she took time to explain everything to us and even to explain historical aspects to us. We have never experienced care like hers. It was the most incredible experience amidst an otherwise painful and challenging experience.... We finally found success using a luteal phase start. This way, they were able to catch the follicles before just one was recruited. It was a brilliant pivot when we kept having just one or two dominant follicles. As a result, we were able to recruit 7 mature eggs, all of which fertilized and grew to day 3.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
The very best. I want E V E R Y O N E we know to go see Marcelle Cedars. She is a miracle worker and generally an incredible person. The most human doctor we've encountered in this very fraught field
GO SEE HER!
We finally found success using a luteal phase start. This way, they were able to catch the follicles before just one was recruited. It was a brilliant pivot when we kept having just one or two dominant follicles. As a result, we were able to recruit 7 mature eggs, all of which fertilized and grew to day 3. Just 4 made it to day 5. The other KEY thing about UCSF/Marcelle Cedars unlike previous experiences is her willingness to pivot when things weren't going as she or we had hoped. There was next to no ego or pretense. Just the very best care every time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill Ford is equally awesome and human and all around an incredible care giver. Smart, compassionate, genuine, human.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Beautiful space Affordable compared to private clinics Great care all around Quick to call with test results Private post op rooms Views of the Bay Waiting rooms got a little crowded and the reading materials could be updated but who cares, really.
18k
One healthy baby!
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Dr Cedars is very compassionate and I felt like we were collaborating on my treatment plan...She is very patient and present which was a nice change from the other doctors I’ve seen for infertility. She was willing to try new protocols and changed things in cycle as new things came up...I have DOR and was doing mini IVF cycles and banking embryos for transfer... I also felt she was very talented with procedures and I had the least amount of discomfort when she performed egg retrieval
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She is very patient and present which was a nice change from the other doctors I’ve seen for infertility. She was willing to try new protocols and changed things in cycle as new things came up. I also felt she was very talented with procedures and I had the least amount of discomfort when she performed egg retrieval
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and keep in touch in-cycle. You can email your nurse who will contact your doctor with any concerns.
I have DOR and was doing mini IVF cycles and banking embryos for transfer. She had me start with oral Clomid and then add minimal stims.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: KTherine Austin)
The nurses have been very attentive and responsive to emails and phone calls. The nurses in the surgical suite were incredibly kind and encouraging
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic is newly constructed and feels like a spa. The lab and embryology suite are state of the art which is in part why we chose UCSF. I appreciated how easy it was to get an appointment and how early the appointments start (6:30am) so I could be seen before work
We paid out of pocket at UCSF. Mini IVf cycles cost around 5-6k
San Francisco
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
When the first cycle failed, as we knew it could, she [Dr Cedars at UCSF Fertility] made adjustments to our protocol, clearly explaining with research and statistics why these changes could potentially help. Before our second cycle I questioned whether or not it was worth trying again due to my poor egg quality. She was very honest in her assessment but encouraged us to not give up yet. I am happy we trusted her.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
I appreciated Dr. Cedars approach to our care at UCSF. She was warm, but realistic about setting expectations. She was very familiar with the latest techniques and research, but did not recommend extra treatments when she felt the cost outweighed the potential benefit. Ultimately she told us to plan for two IVF cycles. When the first cycle failed, as we knew it could, she made adjustments to our protocol, clearly explaining with research and statistics why these changes could potentially help. Before our second cycle I questioned whether or not it was worth trying again due to my poor egg quality. She was very honest in her assessment but encouraged us to not give up yet. I am happy we trusted her. We are now less than two months away from welcoming our first child, with three very good quality embryos frozen to potentially try for a sibling later. Given our diagnosis - very few eggs due to diminished ovarian reserve, endometriosis, and severe male factor infertility - this outcome is better than we ever really expected.
IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Cedars is brilliant, compassionate, and someone who is the absolute best at practicing evidence-based medicine. Although my own egg cycles did not result in children, they were quite impressive in how many perfect 3-day embryos we managed to get out of the number of follicles I had. And though our donor cycles did result in 2 amazing boys, the retrieval and fertilization numbers were not as good as we had expected. Dr. Cedars acknowledged this and took responsibility for perhaps overstimming the donor. But in the end, it mattered not to us because we are glad we didn't have leftover embryos. Dr. Cedars seems to care about everything from the science and statistics to the emotional experience of those of us ttc...
IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Don't be afraid to ask her lots of questions and let her know how you feel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: JIll)
Jill was very responsive via email and phone. When I had a strong positive beta that went south, I could hear the distress and compassion from her when she had to tell me. I know she felt bad because the original call was a "congrats, US in 6 weeks!" Then she had to tell me about the numbers not doubling and give me a shred of hope but still communicating the reality that the pregnancy was not likely to continue.
San Francisco
She's [Dr. Marcelle Cedars] very friendly and kind. I was only treated by her briefly- one transfer- so I didn't get to know her well. But she was caring and among the most experienced doctors on staff...I only did one FET with PGS-tested embryos with Dr. Cedars. I was planning to do a single embryo but it thawed poorly, so we thawed a second one and put both. I got pregnant (I'm at 6 weeks now).
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
I dealt with her briefly because I was living in Chicago and flew back to SF for the transfer. I mostly dealt with her nurse. But my few interactions with her were positive. My case wasn't complicated.
Make friends with her nurse! She's awesome.
She's very friendly and kind. I was only treated by her briefly- one transfer- so I didn't get to know her well. But she was caring and among the most experienced doctors on staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona Gurkin)
I love Teona! Super responsive, personable, fun to talk to. I depended on her especially since I was out of town.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I like the new location. Front desk staff super attentive and sweet. Nurses too. All-around excellent.
I had two embryos remaining in the freezer, both PGS tested. One looked good (50% chance) and one not so good (15%). The 50% chance one thawed poorly on the day of the transfer, so we ended up putting both. The poor quality embryo appears to have stuck.
4 IUI, IVF
4 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She's a great doctor with lots of experience as she is the head of the practice. She travels a lot to conferences which means she's not always as available - but that also makes her more savvy about new treatments and technologies.
Schedule a face to face visit with dr Cedars to make sure you understand her treatment plan. If you like to see the same doctor throughout the treatment, you may have to be patient and wait until she is in town for long enough.
Dr Cedars took the time to talk to us and explain everything to us. She seemed to care about us as individuals and really thought about personalizing the treatment, as opposed to just doing the regular protocol that is done for most women at the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Very organized and responded to emails very quickly which was critical to me. Especially when waiting for pregnancy test results!!!
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Cedars is busy, but when you have her attention she gives it to you fully. She spends time and will call at the end of a busy day to explain things further...(+) Knowledgeable, Kind, Thorough, Straight-shooter yet also lighthearted/upbeat, Tireless, Seems like she genuinely enjoys what she does (-) Not readily available, especially during cycles using my own eggs. Seems separated from the treatment.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Mini IVF DonorEgg
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
On the ball, a direct line to Dr. Cedars. Smart, compassionate, efficient.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Big, can feel impersonal at times, but excellent care and caring doctors.
Donor Egg Cycle - $22K Mini IVF cycle - $7000
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Unexplained
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Like I said, she did not review my records before appointments and would mis-remember dates and other information, which seemed to me quite critical for the course of treatment.
See someone else in the practice. She is overloaded and will likely not give your case the attention it needs.
The care team was very poorly organized. Dr Cedars did not always review my records before appointments, and on multiple occasions, made mistakes, including regarding my prescription dosage, timing of blood tests, etc.
Poor organization. It was really a problem that I was not assigned one particular person on the staff. No one took responsibility for reviewing my records and keeping me on top of testing.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?