5.4

UCLA

Marcelle Cedars works at

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

I felt that Dr.Cedars actively listened to our history and clearly had read over our records prior to the consultation. She explained her reasonings for the desired treatment plan in a way that I was able to understand. ... She had a calmness to her presence which was very important to us. ... Our treatment cycle consisted of Letrozole 5mg starting CD2 x 5 days.*We had previously done 3 IUIs with clomid
The office [UCSF] has separatewaiting areas depending on what procedure you're there fkr (u/s, specimen collection, IUI). The "checkout" process was sort of confusing having to back to the front desk staff anticipating they know what your next schedule will be. When paying for services (we decided to pay cash) they staff was somewhat unprepared to handle that process. They do not have a cash register and are unable to give change.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She had a calmness to her presence which was very important to us. When explaining her treatment plans, she provided credible sources (studies/journals) to further ensure us the information was up to date.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Be prepared to see other providers for most of the visits, who may not fully understand your specific case as well as Dr. Cedars. All questions which that require detailed responses she be directed to her nurses who can give direct messages to Dr. Cedars.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Our treatment cycle consisted of Letrozole 5mg starting CD2 x 5 days.*We had previously done 3 IUIs with clomid 100mg with our 1st clinic.* U/S follicle check on CD 12 showed 2 follicles; 21mm and 13mm. With a lining of 11.4mm. *We did not see Dr.Cedars at this visit* Was told to trigger shot the following night CD 13. And returned to clinic on CD14 for "specimen collection" and IUI. *We did not see Dr.Cedars for this procedure visit*
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill and Ruth)
Ruth was great with communication. She was very sweet each time we spoke, answered my questions quickly and even set up a call with Dr.Cedars when my questions were beyond her knowledge of advice.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Very clean and upscale/modern feels. The office has separatewaiting areas depending on what procedure you're there fkr (u/s, specimen collection, IUI). The "checkout" process was sort of confusing having to back to the front desk staff anticipating they know what your next schedule will be. When paying for services (we decided to pay cash) they staff was somewhat unprepared to handle that process. They do not have a cash register and are unable to give change.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Consult including u/s $250. The medication protocol at discount pharmacy was $30. The follicle scan, sperm wash and IUI - $1566.00
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
We were not at the IVF stage yet. But when i did ask her approach to single vs multiple embryo transfer she advised that in for personal case that a single would be plenty as multiple can increase health risks for mom and baby(s)

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
It's disheartening when you have invested a ton of emotional energy -- not to mention money -- and the doctor and/or staff get things wrong or forget you have already completed steps. I know it's a busy clinic and that Dr. Cedars is a leader in her field, but when you're investing so many resources, you want to feel like people have taken time to look at your chart or to gather the correct information before meeting with you.
Everyone I encounter [at UCSF]is very nice. I work with Ruth, mainly. She can seem very overwhelmed, but she's always been responsive. It's hard to get her live on the phone, so it's a great deal of listening to each other's voicemails or reading messages in the portal....The actual clinic is in a very newly constructed, modern facility. Everything feels new and clean....It's disheartening when you have invested a ton of emotional energy -- not to mention money -- and the doctor and/or staff get things wrong or forget you have already completed steps.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She clearly knows what she's doing and her reputation precedes her. She sees so many patients -- like all fertility doctors -- so I don't expect a touchy feely connection with her, but it does feel like this is a transaction. There was another doctor I was interested in--outside of UCSF-- but I couldn't afford him, unfortunately.
Just know this is a very western, clinical, transactional experience, but you should be in good hands.
Right now, I'm just increasing estrogen intake and taking progesterone to force a period. We haven't moved into the actual IVF protocol yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ruth)
Everyone I encounter is very nice. I work with Ruth, mainly. She can seem very overwhelmed, but she's always been responsive. It's hard to get her live on the phone, so it's a great deal of listening to each other's voicemails or reading messages in the portal.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
A huge strength is that it's near my house. The previous clinic was in Irvine (I'm in the bay area). The actual clinic is in a very newly constructed, modern facility. Everything feels new and clean. I haven't done very much other than meet with Dr. Cedars and the care team, so I cannot speak to the treatment rooms as much. I will say that I would strongly advise against meeting with Dr. Laurie Pasch, the clinic psychologist, and meet with Dr. Holley instead.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
All in, to have donor eggs, using a known sperm donor (we froze his sperm at UCSF) and one transfer (no testing, no ICSI -- all of those costs are extra), it will be a little over $30,000.
San Francisco

Dr. Cedars will strongly encourage an elective single embryo transfer...is very intelligent and is very busy. More times than not you will be seeing others doctors on her time, all of which who are very friendly and have good bedside manner...the medications she prescribed for my egg retrieval were spot on. I was at risk for Hyper Ovarian Stimulation and she wanted to keep my dosage pretty low, we got a FANTASTIC result, of 31 eggs retrieved, 14 of which turned into 5-6 day blastocysts. When it came to my first transfer, we did a transfer without antagonist. The first transfer did not result in pregnancy, and now we are awaiting an appointment to change our protocol.
We did Two Round Success Plan with ARC Financing [at UCSF]. It was around $40k for that...the meds here are significantly discounted...meaning you maybe pay a few hundred for all the meds here versus 5-6k. The PGS testing we had done on our embryos was somewhere around 2-3k...It can sometimes feel like you get lost in the shuffle, as there's not a lot of support like you might receive from smaller clinics. For example, when we were waiting to see what embryos made it to blastocyst, while some clinics would call you on Day 1, 3, 5, 6... we didn't get a call until Day 7 with the results. So its definitely less personal that way.. but I find the knowledge of the doctors far outweighs the support I may receive during the process. This is however something they could majorly improve on.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
While I didn't see Dr. Cedars very often, the medications she prescribed for my egg retrieval were spot on. I was at risk for Hyper Ovarian Stimulation and she wanted to keep my dosage pretty low, we got a FANTASTIC result, of 31 eggs retrieved, 14 of which turned into 5-6 day blastocysts. When it came to my first transfer, we did a transfer without antagonist. The first transfer did not result in pregnancy, and now we are awaiting an appointment to change our protocol.
Ask as many questions as you like, she's very knowledgeable and understanding.
Dr. Cedars is very intelligent and is very busy. More times than not you will be seeing others doctors on her time, all of which who are very friendly and have good bedside manner.
The treatment strategy for my egg retrieval was very successful. The treatment strategy for my first transfer didn't result in pregnancy, although my lining was really good (14 mm), so will be looking to change the protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Katherine Porras)
The nursing staff at UCSF is very kind and compassionate. I found if I need an immediate response to select their immediate care line, otherwise emailing my care team, they were usually responsive within 24 hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
We did Two Round Success Plan with ARC Financing. It was around $40k for that... the meds here are significantly discounted... meaning you maybe pay a few hundred for all the meds here versus 5-6k. The PGS testing we had done on our embryos was somewhere around 2-3k.
Dr. Cedars will strongly encourage an elective single embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Regarding the embryos that made it to blastocyst, I didn't feel as supported as I would have maybe preferred. Calling on Day 7 isn't the greatest when its already an anxiety ridden process. Also when I got my embryo transfer there were zero calls or emails of support wondering how I was doing, which I think a clinic should implement as it is a very hard (and seems like long), and emotional waiting period.
San Francisco

Dr Cedars was empathetic and understanding. She patiently answered our questions and walked us through each process. I felt like she had a wealth of knowledge about current fertility medicine practices. ... When it was clear we were undergoing a missed miscarriage, Dr Cedars performed the manual aspiration. When we moved over to IVF, a few things fell through the cracks.
UCSF CRH is a big place, they see a lot of patients. I didn't necessarily want to form personal relationships with the staff, but I also didn't want to be another random warm body. I felt they struck a reasonable balance in this. ... As I mentioned, my varicella immunity was low. This didn't seem to be an issue for IUI treatment as a clinical trial patient, but it was as a cash-paying IVF patient. ...
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Ask direct questions and expect direct answers.
Six IUIs with 50mg Clomid and HCG trigger. Lupron demi-halt IVF cycle, two weeks of stimulation/superovulation with Gonal-F and Menopur, HCG trigger. ICSI and potential use of microfluidic chip (FERTILE) as part of a clinical trial -- we were blindly randomized, so I don't know if our sample went through the usual preparation or the chip process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
During 2016 and 2017, I took part in two clinical trials. For both, the research coordinator, Becca Wong, was my main point of contact. Becca was great throughout, easily accessible, compassionate, funny. Even during her own pregnancy, I never felt anxious or envious. When we moved on to IVF, Jill Ford and Ruthie were our main contacts. I met each of them once only, but we spoke on the phone several times and emailed a lot.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I am very grateful to CRH. I learnt a lot from the staff. The process of going through six IUIs over two years, as a clinical trial patient, meant I paid $0 for this treatment, and received great care. It was so nice not to even think about insurance or payment during this part of our treatment. My final round of IUI in 2017 resulted in a positive test. My blood HCG tests were low and rose slowly. For a while we were in limbo, anxious especially about an ectopic pregnancy. All throughout, Becca was available and supportive. I met with Dr Cedars at this time too, who was candid about the chances of the pregnancy going to term. When it was clear we were undergoing a missed miscarriage, Dr Cedars performed the manual aspiration. When we moved over to IVF, a few things fell through the cracks. Becca had advised I have my OB order some blood tests, including for STDs, and immunity to several diseases. Nobody told me that my varicella (chicken pox) immunity was low and I ought to be re-vaccinated. It wasn't until Jill was running through the pre-IVF checklist that she asked me the result of these tests. (I had allowed my OB's office to share the results with UCSF CRH, so I was under the impression they'd already seen them). The two vaccines and a month "on the bench" pushed back our start date. Also: at one point Dr Cedars mentioned we'd be eligible for a study which would cover the cost of our stimulation medications. I'd done some research and knew this was potentially a large cost. A few months went by (see above) and I asked the study's coordinator if we were enrolled. He responded that we were ineligible, and that he'd told us that several months ago. This obviously wasn't the case. Fortunately, we were able to buy our meds from Disco Rex, the Walgreens Speciality Pharmacy in Palo Alto, for under $300 total. This was thanks to the 340B Network Pharmacy Program, as cash-paying outpatients of UCSF. Nobody mentioned this program to me at any point until I was prescribed the drugs, and it would definitely have influenced our clinic selection decision. I wish CRH made a bigger deal of it! The only other complaint I have is a very minor one: the IVF calendar I received was ugly and a little bit confusing. It looked unprofessional, with no branding, lots of different fonts/text sizes, etc. Random reminders were scattered on various days. Other paperwork we received was also oddly-formatted or a copied copy. I feel sure UCSF has communication staff who would be able to create more professional templates.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Stimulation monitoring: $4,267 Egg retrieval $2,240 Fertilization and culture $3,365 Embryo transfer $2,810 Embryo cryopreservation (1 year) $1,753 I also paid a few hundred dollars for two ultrasounds after pregnancy was confirmed. As a clinical trial patient, I underwent six IUIs at zero cost. I was also treated for the missed miscarriage, including the manual aspiration procedure, at no cost. There was some confusion as to the status of these treatments, at one point I made a last-minute appointment to see my OB to take over my care. I'm not sure, but I believe CRH staff pulled some strings in order to have my care covered by the study, which, obviously, I greatly appreciate.
We only ever considered transferring a single embryo.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
San Francisco

Donor Egg Cycle - $22K Mini IVF cycle - $7000...[UCSF is] Big, can feel impersonal at times, but excellent care and caring doctors...Dr. Cedars is busy, but when you have her attention she gives it to you fully. She spends time and will call at the end of a busy day to explain things further...(+) Knowledgeable, Kind, Thorough, Straight-shooter yet also lighthearted/upbeat, Tireless, Seems like she genuinely enjoys what she does (-) Not readily available, especially during cycles using my own eggs. Seems separated from the treatment.
Mini IVF DonorEgg
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
On the ball, a direct line to Dr. Cedars. Smart, compassionate, efficient.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Big, can feel impersonal at times, but excellent care and caring doctors.
Donor Egg Cycle - $22K Mini IVF cycle - $7000