5.1

UCLA

Marcelle Cedars works at

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

Dr. Cedars came across as friendly, kind, and thoughtful. She is a very busy person, but when she's with you, she really gives you all her focus and never makes you feel rushed or like a burden. I felt like I could put a lot of trust in her ... I did a "mini stim" protocol due to my young age, my fertility being unexplained, and the fact that this was my first time doing IVF.
They [UCSF] won't be pushing any treatment you don't actually need. They offer mini-stim IVF for a fraction of the price of IVF at most places, which is a big reason I traveled from MT for my treatment. ... The one thing I will say they fall short of is communicating and getting the ball rolling quickly with starting your care. It can take months to get your first appointment, and we had to be persistent and annoying to get things going in our treatment.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Cedars came across as friendly, kind, and thoughtful. She is a very busy person, but when she's with you, she really gives you all her focus and never makes you feel rushed or like a burden. I felt like I could put a lot of trust in her, and that she was doing everything she could to ensure the best outcome for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She can be hard to get ahold of, and you likely won't see her much during your treatment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
In the few interactions with Dr. Cedars I had, she was very nice and friendly, and made me feel comfortable in conversation.
Describe the protocols Marcelle Cedars used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I did a "mini stim" protocol due to my young age, my fertility being unexplained, and the fact that this was my first time doing IVF. It aims for quality over quantity, and results in fewer eggs maturing at once, but increases the likely hood that they will fertilize, and also increases the odds of a fresh transfer. This protocol involved taking clomid day 2-6, then starting injections on day 6 (150 iu of gonal-f, ganirelix, and 75 IU Menopur until trigger). We found out around trigger day that my uterine lining was too thin for a fresh transfer most likely a side effect of the clomid. I also had a low follicle count, and it took some finessing to get a few to maturity at the same time, and by trigger day, it looked like we had 3 good ones, and 5 small ones. We were able to retrieve 6, but given the maturity level, it wasn't much of a surprise that only 2 fertilized. Luckily, of those 2, they both made it to day 3, and were frozen for a later transfer. They were rated well, both grade 2, one was an 8 cell, one was a 6. I participated in a study for my treatment, comparing IVF to Invocell, and was chosen for IVF. The study was a mini-stim protocol, and compares day 3 embryos, so my treatment was tailored to my needs within the parameters of the study. However they wouldn't have accepted me for the study if I hadn't been a good candidate, so I trust that it was right for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill was great, she responded quickly to my emails and calls, and helped me understand what I needed to do and when.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF is amazing because its a not for profit fertility center, with a large volume of patients, meaning lots of experience, and motivation to learn more and be at the forefront of research and new treatment, while also not trying to necessarily make money, like many fertility centers do. Knowing this makes you feel very assured that they are looking out for your best interests, and not their own! They won't be pushing any treatment you don't actually need. They offer mini-stim IVF for a fraction of the price of IVF at most places, which is a big reason I traveled from MT for my treatment. Also, everyone I dealt with there was so nice. Even the people who were way overworked made me feel like they really cared about me in our interactions. The one thing I will say they fall short of is communicating and getting the ball rolling quickly with starting your care. It can take months to get your first appointment, and we had to be persistent and annoying to get things going in our treatment. Once things start though, it's a pretty smooth engine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
We had no insurance coverage, and Mini Stim IVF is normally around $5500, but we were able to participate in a study that made it $4816 (that includes anesthesia, but also is only for a set amount of appointments, so it can go up a little depending on if you need more monitoring) and then an additional $700 for a year of embryo storage. They refund you for whatever is left over, if you have to stop at any point in the process. They also have a pharmacy next door, that is discounted and it easily saved us thousands of dollars. All in we paid around $300 for all my meds combined!
Describe Marcelle Cedars's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
She originally suggested I transfer both, just out of convenience since I have to travel for my care. However I felt strongly that I only wanted to transfer 1, and not take on the risk of multiples. She was completely on board with that and supported my choice!
San Francisco

She [Dr. Cedars] is kind, forthright, and thoughtful, and takes the time to explain treatment options....She’s amazing but busy. She takes the time to call and speak with you directly with positive or negative news. I’ve advocated for myself and I think that has paid off in getting the care I deserve. Her ability to lay out all of the options clearly and address all of my concerns is why I continue to pursue treatment with her and UCSF.
This is my fourth fertility clinic (third one for treatment) and I love everything about UCSF. Yes it’s a huge research institution and there can be a lot of patients in the waiting areas and treatment lounges, but I feel like each interaction with me directly is personalized for my protocol....The biggest issue with Dr Cedars is the continued revolving door of the staff. As soon as you build rapport with one, they leave. There are other permanent staff but they are not as diligent on details as previous coordinators were.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Do your research and advocate for yourself. Ask questions if anything is unclear. She is super busy, so determine the answers you can get from your care team and those you need from Dr Cedars.
She is kind, forthright, and thoughtful, and takes the time to explain treatment options.
I’ve only done one donor egg IVF cycle with Dr Cedars but two transfers. The first protocol was Lupron, then estrogen patches, then progesterone, medrol five days before the transfer and Valium for the transfer. I was also taking a huge amount of supplements (Vitamins B,C,D,E, iron, baby aspirin, ubiquinol, metafolinic). Unfortunately my lining was insufficient for my transfer so Dr Cedars ordered an ERA and I had a mock transfer to see if my uterus was receptive. Once the data came back that I am pre-receptive, she removed Lupron from my protocol during my next cycle and kept everything else. Although the transfer was smooth, that round was unsuccessful. I’m waiting for the sign off for my next DEIVF round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona, Julie, Anne, Ruth)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
I’m pretty privileged in that I received a gift from a family member to pay for costs not covered by insurance, and that my insurance at first covered 50 percent (and has increased to 85 percent) for my treatment. So my costs are variable but I think we probably paid out of pocket for procedures less than $5K (donor-related items are not covered by insurance and for a frozen round the cost is over $13K).
Dr Cedars is complete pro-eSET. For the first round I agreed; as I face my second round I am leaning toward a multiple embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
This is in reference to the challenges with Dr Cedars’s care team. One staff called me with completely incorrect information regarding my protocol and I was frustrated to have to correct them when I know they have access to my file. Just seemed lazy.
San Francisco

She was the first doctor in our process to outline our options and give us hope. Her attention and knowledge were outstanding. ... Due to high risk of OHSS -I had 33 follicles during the initial consult-, Dr. Cedars treated me with an antagonist protocol. ... Doctor Cedars took the time to explain our diagnosis and options. She answers many questions during the course of treatment
I worked with Katharine and Ruthie [nurses at UCSF] and they were both outstanding. They would follow up with me within minutes of me sending them messages, they were on top of the schedule and reacted quickly when we had to make changes (i.e. initiating stimulation a week earlier due to my menses being early). ... I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any of my appointments and I loved finding a book of notes for patients by patients that made me feel understood and less lonely going through the process.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
After a year of trying and getting no answers from Kaiser we transferred our case to UCSF and Dr. Cedars saw us immediately, used the battery of tests we had done through Kaiser to diagnose us and gave us a path forward. She was the first doctor in our process to outline our options and give us hope. Her attention and knowledge were outstanding. To date (we are awaiting to see if the Fresh transfer worked), we joke that we may call any future daughters of ours Marcelle after the doctor.
Trust the doctor
Doctor Cedars took the time to explain our diagnosis and options. She answers many questions during the course of treatment and she worked with Dr. Smith who was treating my husband. She was extremely positive and even conducted some procedures like the saline sonogram herself.
Due to high risk of OHSS -I had 33 follicles during the initial consult-, Dr. Cedars treated me with an antagonist protocol. We started with 75 Menopur and 150 Gonal-F. After 10 days, my estradiol levels went down (one big follicle collapsed) and we increased the dose of Menopur to two vials. Two days later we triggered and we got 19 eggs (all 19 mature).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Katharine Porras)
I worked with Katharine and Ruthie and they were both outstanding. They would follow up with me within minutes of me sending them messages, they were on top of the schedule and reacted quickly when we had to make changes (i.e. initiating stimulation a week earlier due to my menses being early). I have really enjoyed working with them and I have felt very cared for.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The facilities have to be the best in the country. The Mission Bay Campus is incredible. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any of my appointments and I loved finding a book of notes for patients by patients that made me feel understood and less lonely going through the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
Monitoring was done in the mornings and it was very convenient as it was from 7 AM until 9 AM which meant not having to miss work. It was extremely easy to get appointments and I was always able to get them at my preferred time.
The doctor strongly recommended eSET due to my egg, hormonal levels and health history. She also recommended a fresh transfer after monitoring me daily from day 5 of stims.
San Francisco

Dr. Ceders was incredibly kind and compassionate yet very honest, realistic and pragmatic in her approach. She used data and science to drive her decisions yet she was willing to try new approaches to see what could work. She was available whenever needed and would take time to answer all of my questions. She never made us feel rushed and ensured all of our questions and concerns were addressed. She never over promised and was fact-based. We trusted her expertise, knowledge and track record. I would recommend her for anyone.
Clinic [UCSF] is clean, organized and a well oiled machine. They can see well over 100 patients on any given day and so they have a nice routine and professional set up. The receptionists, nurses, and staff are all super friendly and nice. They know what they are doing and they do it very well. The finance team was more difficult to work with and less responsive. The most consistent problem I had was dealing with finanacial counselors who were hardly available and again not very available or accommodating.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Ceders is a trail blazer in this field and I was very excited and eager to work with her. She was exceptionally knowledgeable and informative. She would take calculated risks and use data and science as her guide. She was compassionate and kind in her engagement with us and we felt she had great bed-side manners.
She will tell it to you straight and use data and science - not sales tactics - to help you make decisions. She listens well and incorporates your input and concerns in her process without compromising your care and what’s best for you.
My procedure included a pre-cycle of estrogen patches the cycle before retrieval. Then during retrieval cycle she prescribed Clomid for 5 days with Gonal F for about 10 days and Ganirelix and Menopur for last 3-5 days before triggering. We retrieved the eggs for inseminination then growing for 7 days and PGS testing then freezing until ready for transfer. This was due to low ovarian reserve and therefore were ‘harvesting’ as much as possible to get the number we wanted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona Gurkan)
Teona was by far another main reason I decided to work with Dr. Ceders-aside from Dr. Ceders’ excellent credentials. Teona is a very kind, genuine, compassionate and down to earth Nurse. She is funny, sweet and excellent bedside manners. You connect with Teona very quickly and you feel cared for by her. She has an ease and positive vibe about her that makes her very likeable and approachable. She is very organized, responsive and diligent. She also told us about the out of pocket discount on medications which UCSF has that saved us at least 5K each round. I recommend working with her 100%.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Clinic is clean, organized and a well oiled machine. They can see well over 100 patients on any given day and so they have a nice routine and professional set up. The receptionists, nurses, and staff are all super friendly and nice. They know what they are doing and they do it very well. The finance team was more difficult to work with and less responsive. The most consistent problem I had was dealing with finanacial counselors who were hardly available and again not very available or accommodating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Out of pocket about 14K plus about $300-400 for meds, plus 2.5K separate payment for PGS testing to outside company. Insurance out of pocket about 2-5K for each round. I did 5 rounds of retrieval only, two out of pocket and 3 with insurance.
Dr. Ceders recommends single embryo transfer due to better mother and baby health and so we will go with her recommendation.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Cedars is a really wonderful mixture of realistic and hopeful. She knew I was upset once and called me at 6 one evening to offer encouragement.... Dr. Cedars saw me in 2015 for a consultation and full PCOS work up and was realistic but very hopeful. In 2018 when my husband and I wanted to start trying I made an appointment and she didn't make me jump through any hoops to get treatment she just read my file and knew with my PCOS it would be silly to wait and started me on treatment.
The clinic [UCSF - San Fransisco] has 2 different offices. The one of Illinois St in Mission Bay is FAR superior than the old Mt. Zion clinic. I'm sure they are both perfectly clean and sanitary but the Mission Bay Clinic is just so much more inviting, clean looking... The clinic initially charged me $747 out of pocket for a transvaginal ultrasound. I later thought it odd so called my insurance and turns out whoever does billing never even sent the request to my insurance. It took me weeks but eventually after fighting it out with UCSF
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Dr. Cedars saw me in 2015 for a consultation and full PCOS work up and was realistic but very hopeful. In 2018 when my husband and I wanted to start trying I made an appointment and she didn't make me jump through any hoops to get treatment she just read my file and knew with my PCOS it would be silly to wait and started me on treatment. My insurance was not understanding that despite my age I couldn't "just keep trying" so she scheduled a peer-to-peer and went to bat for me to get my treatments covered. She then called me after and said "they understand much better now, we got you 4 cycles covered and if those don't work we will get more." She is really incredible.
Make any appointment months before you think you may need it - she books up fast (I waited 3 months for my appointment.)
I have PCOS so my eggs and follicles are fine but I do not ovulate and do not have a period unless I am on birth control or other period-inducing medication. Dr. Cedars has used this for 2 cycles and I have ovulated but have not become pregnant yet. Cycle 1: (Medroxyprogesterone) Provera 5mg x 12 days Await period Letrozole (Femara) 2.5mg x 5 days Start intercourse every other day starting CD 10 then every other day until you ovulate then sex on that day and the following day. Complete pregnancy test in 15 days. The second cycle was the exact same but she doubled my Femara dose to 5mg. Next time around (if I am not pregnant this cycle) we will do the same thing but add in a transvaginal ultrasound to see what my ovaries are doing. So far, I have no become pregnant at all but Dr. Cedars says "there is still a lot of hope" which as been very helpful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Ruth and Jill)
I am not sure which nurse is my primary but I have worked with both Jill and Ruth. They are very kind, Ruth especially is very energetic and positive. My only complaint is that they have not been very good with phone or e-mail communication. There have been a few times where my emails went unanswered for several days. Other than that they are great.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The clinic has 2 different offices. The one of Illinois St in Mission Bay is FAR superior than the old Mt. Zion clinic. I'm sure they are both perfectly clean and sanitary but the Mission Bay Clinic is just so much more inviting, clean looking, and also I think they have more advanced technology but I could be wrong about that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcelle Cedars at UCSF.
Ok for the good there was one billing person who was helpful however never even thought of being a peer-to-peer until I asked which seems odd (especially because it worked). Once I did ask for it she happily coordinated and Dr. Cedars did it and it worked! Super thankful for that. Ok this is where stuff really lagged. The clinic initially charged me $747 out of pocket for a transvaginal ultrasound. I later thought it odd so called my insurance and turns out whoever does billing never even sent the request to my insurance. It took me weeks but eventually after fighting it out with UCSF (nobody from the main billing center ever responded to my 3-5 phone calls and 2 emails) and my insurance rep they charged my insurance appropriately and refunded the bill entirely. Had I not had the skills to fight it though or been struggling with anxiety or depression like so many women in my situation I could have never gotten that money back.
San Francisco
Dr. Marcelle Cedars was relentlessly human with us at every turn. We never felt like she was annoyed or rushed - rather, she took time to explain everything to us and even to explain historical aspects to us. We have never experienced care like hers. It was the most incredible experience amidst an otherwise painful and challenging experience.... We finally found success using a luteal phase start. This way, they were able to catch the follicles before just one was recruited. It was a brilliant pivot when we kept having just one or two dominant follicles. As a result, we were able to recruit 7 mature eggs, all of which fertilized and grew to day 3.
[UCSF has a] Beautiful space Affordable compared to private clinics Great care all around Quick to call with test results Private post op rooms Views of the Bay Waiting rooms got a little crowded and the reading materials could be updated but who cares, really.... We finally found success using a luteal phase start. This way, they were able to catch the follicles before just one was recruited. It was a brilliant pivot when we kept having just one or two dominant follicles. As a result, we were able to recruit 7 mature eggs, all of which fertilized and grew to day 3. Just 4 made it to day 5. The other KEY thing about UCSF/Marcelle Cedars unlike previous experiences is her willingness to pivot when things weren't going as she or we had hoped. There was next to no ego or pretense. Just the very best care every time.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
The very best. I want E V E R Y O N E we know to go see Marcelle Cedars. She is a miracle worker and generally an incredible person. The most human doctor we've encountered in this very fraught field
GO SEE HER!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill Ford is equally awesome and human and all around an incredible care giver. Smart, compassionate, genuine, human.
18k
One healthy baby!
San Francisco
She [Dr. Marcelle Cedars] suggested transferring all embryos if 5 or fewer at Day 3, based on 20% chance at my age (42) of healthy embryo; if 6 or more at Day 3 we hoped to grow to Day 6 for PGS. I was scared of transferring 5 embryos, but took her advice and it worked.... Very experienced, good bedside manner, adjusted information to both my knowledge level and interest (medical field, high detail desired) and my husband's (no medical training, only basics desired). She only does follow-ups with failed cycles- I wish we had one more mtg afterwards.
Clinic coordinators [at UCSF] are fantastic- very supportive and helpful. Lots of time with primary Dr before transfer, but random nurses each visit after. Overall very positive experience, would strongly recommend.... Discount for UCSF employee... estrogen priming antagonist protocol; successful, identical twins... She suggested transferring all embryos if 5 or fewer at Day 3, based on 20% chance at my age (42) of healthy embryo; if 6 or more at Day 3 we hoped to grow to Day 6 for PGS. I was scared of transferring 5 embryos, but took her advice and it worked.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Ask every question- she'll take the time to answer. Express your fears, she can reassure you.
Dr. Cedars was warm, knowledgeable and I never felt rushed in our consultations. She made extra appointments with me as necessary when we were considering our transfer options once the treatment cycle had started but before retrieval. She was empathic and helped me feel good about making the difficult decision to cancel a cycle (at almost age 43 time was tight!) when my grandmother fell ill so I could guarantee travel in case of her passing (which did happen).
estrogen priming antagonist protocol; successful, identical twins
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Clinic coordinators are fantastic- very supportive and helpful. Lots of time with primary Dr before transfer, but random nurses each visit after. Overall very positive experience, would strongly recommend.
Discount for UCSF employee
San Francisco

Dr Cedars is very compassionate and I felt like we were collaborating on my treatment plan...She is very patient and present which was a nice change from the other doctors I’ve seen for infertility. She was willing to try new protocols and changed things in cycle as new things came up...I have DOR and was doing mini IVF cycles and banking embryos for transfer... I also felt she was very talented with procedures and I had the least amount of discomfort when she performed egg retrieval
The clinic is newly constructed and feels like a spa. The lab and embryology suite are state of the art which is in part why we chose UCSF. I appreciated how easy it was to get an appointment and how early the appointments start (6:30am) so I could be seen before work...The nurses have been very attentive and responsive to emails and phone calls. The nurses in the surgical suite were incredibly kind and encouraging
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She is very patient and present which was a nice change from the other doctors I’ve seen for infertility. She was willing to try new protocols and changed things in cycle as new things came up. I also felt she was very talented with procedures and I had the least amount of discomfort when she performed egg retrieval
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and keep in touch in-cycle. You can email your nurse who will contact your doctor with any concerns.
I have DOR and was doing mini IVF cycles and banking embryos for transfer. She had me start with oral Clomid and then add minimal stims.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: KTherine Austin)
We paid out of pocket at UCSF. Mini IVf cycles cost around 5-6k
San Francisco
She is was very compassionate, understanding, patient, and responsive . She was very responsive in to all our questions. She was very helpful giving info on various studies, and making sure we were coming connects to anyone else in the UCSF administration we needed to for the various departments...Demihalt protocol , with omnitrope to help increase number of follicles being stimulated
Molly Dunn made mistakes with our day 5 blasts slated to be tested. We were instructed that the protocol would be we would get a call from the genetic counselor with the day 5 results and then our embryos would be sent to be Pgs tested. We never received a call, were anxious and had to call multiple people at UCSF to relay our message to the genetic counselor to please call us with the results. When we finally reached her she informed she had sent our embryos to the lab . She did not call me, the patient and person she was supposed to contact. She called my husband with this news. She did not wait for our approval to send the blasts. We had not yet given instructions if these blast biopsies were to be tested right away or wait to be beach tested with additional blasts from a future cycle. She took it upon herself to make that decision for us , for no reason except her incompetence .
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Be honest, ask her any question you want about ivf, you will get great responses and feel well informed about your care
She listened to me and what my concerns were before giving any suggestions for further treatment . She sympathized with my emotions and took them into account during our consultations
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona gurkan)
Current nurse Teona gurkan is great. There seems to be high turnover though and I've had two other nurses on the first cycle with dr cedars and three nurses with my other dr 's 3 cycles
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Strengths- certain doctors like Dr cedars are really great, personable , make the process a little easier to get thru. Some of the admin staff though are a challenge to work with . One nurse was inconsistent , gave contradictory info from past nurses and could not explain why the differences, was not helpful in answering questions and did not give clear calendars. One cycle she gave me 3-4 versions because she had to keep fixing items. The genetic counselor Molly Dunn was incompetent and rude. She was incentive and careless and gave us the wrong info, initially telling us we had 3 Pgs normal embryos when the reality was our 3 embryos were aneuploidy. She corrected herself but did not even apologize acknowledging how hurtful her mistake was. She refused to schedule a call with us to discuss results and only sent emails . She argued with me on the phone when trying to explain herself.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
San Francisco

She's [Dr. Marcelle Cedars] very friendly and kind. I was only treated by her briefly- one transfer- so I didn't get to know her well. But she was caring and among the most experienced doctors on staff...I only did one FET with PGS-tested embryos with Dr. Cedars. I was planning to do a single embryo but it thawed poorly, so we thawed a second one and put both. I got pregnant (I'm at 6 weeks now).
I love Teona [nurse at UCSF]! Super responsive, personable, fun to talk to. I depended on her especially since I was out of town...I like the new location. Front desk staff super attentive and sweet. Nurses too. All-around excellent...I only did one FET with PGS-tested embryos with Dr. Cedars. I was planning to do a single embryo but it thawed poorly, so we thawed a second one and put both. I got pregnant (I'm at 6 weeks now).
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
I dealt with her briefly because I was living in Chicago and flew back to SF for the transfer. I mostly dealt with her nurse. But my few interactions with her were positive. My case wasn't complicated.
Make friends with her nurse! She's awesome.
She's very friendly and kind. I was only treated by her briefly- one transfer- so I didn't get to know her well. But she was caring and among the most experienced doctors on staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Teona Gurkin)
I love Teona! Super responsive, personable, fun to talk to. I depended on her especially since I was out of town.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
I had two embryos remaining in the freezer, both PGS tested. One looked good (50% chance) and one not so good (15%). The 50% chance one thawed poorly on the day of the transfer, so we ended up putting both. The poor quality embryo appears to have stuck.

2014 - 2015, Successful
When the first cycle failed, as we knew it could, she [Dr Cedars at UCSF Fertility] made adjustments to our protocol, clearly explaining with research and statistics why these changes could potentially help. Before our second cycle I questioned whether or not it was worth trying again due to my poor egg quality. She was very honest in her assessment but encouraged us to not give up yet. I am happy we trusted her.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
I appreciated Dr. Cedars approach to our care at UCSF. She was warm, but realistic about setting expectations. She was very familiar with the latest techniques and research, but did not recommend extra treatments when she felt the cost outweighed the potential benefit. Ultimately she told us to plan for two IVF cycles. When the first cycle failed, as we knew it could, she made adjustments to our protocol, clearly explaining with research and statistics why these changes could potentially help. Before our second cycle I questioned whether or not it was worth trying again due to my poor egg quality. She was very honest in her assessment but encouraged us to not give up yet. I am happy we trusted her. We are now less than two months away from welcoming our first child, with three very good quality embryos frozen to potentially try for a sibling later. Given our diagnosis - very few eggs due to diminished ovarian reserve, endometriosis, and severe male factor infertility - this outcome is better than we ever really expected.

2014 - 2015, Successful
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
She's a great doctor with lots of experience as she is the head of the practice. She travels a lot to conferences which means she's not always as available - but that also makes her more savvy about new treatments and technologies.
Schedule a face to face visit with dr Cedars to make sure you understand her treatment plan. If you like to see the same doctor throughout the treatment, you may have to be patient and wait until she is in town for long enough.
Dr Cedars took the time to talk to us and explain everything to us. She seemed to care about us as individuals and really thought about personalizing the treatment, as opposed to just doing the regular protocol that is done for most women at the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Very organized and responded to emails very quickly which was critical to me. Especially when waiting for pregnancy test results!!!

2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Marcelle [Dr. Cedars] was incredible, and ultimately when it came time to stop pursuing another child she was very honest, but kind and she sat with us while we cried. I'm forever grateful for her understanding and kindness during the darkest days of my life.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Marcelle Cedars exceeded my expectations in every way. She was amazing, and though I failed IVF and have not been able to have another child, I would still recommend her and UCSF very highly. My husband and I were very diligent about finding our doctor and we met with several, but we immediately connected with Marcelle. I always felt so lucky to have found the combination of incredible, cutting edge, world-class medicine and a lovely, compassionate bed side manner. Marcelle was incredible, and ultimately when it came time to stop pursuing another child she was very honest, but kind and she sat with us while we cried. I'm forever grateful for her understanding and kindness during the darkest days of my life. In addition to Marcelle, I saw many members of the UCSF fertility team. I could not have been more impressed with every one of them. There was only one doctor I didn't like, but they worked it so I didn't have to see him. One of the best doctors during that time was Dr. Zamah. Following a retrieval he had to tell me that we didn't get any eggs. That was a really, really hard day, but he sat with me, encouraged me and also showed a level of compassion I didn't expect from UCSF. I always said... I expected amazing medicine, I didn't expect the kindness. It's painful to go back and remember that time, because unlike many other women, I was not successful and it was the single most painful experience of my life, but I'm more than happy to share my story with any woman going through it. It's not such a unique club anymore, at least not in the Bay Area, but the pain is unique and only those of us who have walked this road truly understand what it's like. Thank you for putting this together.... I hope it helps many women!
I really don't have any advice. I just loved her and thought so highly of her!
Yes, I always felt known by Marcelle and her team. I found them all to be kind, compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Jill Ford)
Jill was ALWAYS so responsive and organized. She answered every question and was always happy to follow-up. The day she had to call me with my pregnancy test results and they were negative, I could just feel how sorry she was she had to give me the news. I felt like she was always rooting for me. When we stopped pursuing IVF, she set me up with the on-staff psychiatrist to talk to me. Jill was great and to this day I feel like I can reach out with any question and she'd get right back to me!

2010 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Cedars was willing to discuss my prognosis and explain the science behind her advice. She was empathetic and kind....I was impressed both with Dr. Cedars' communication and her creativity in approaching my treatment. I'm very evidence-based, and I love how she pulled up research on her computer to show me what the current evidence is on IVF. But she wasn't just a data whiz, she also listened to my experience at my previous clinic and talked about why their approach might not have worked well for me. Then she explained how her approach would be different, and we immediately saw better results. Whenever I was able to see her in clinic or for a transfer, I felt comforted.
The front desk [at UCSF] can be frustrating to deal with. They feel much more institutional than the rest of the staff, and it's here that you really realize you're dealing with a university hospital. Finance in particular can be a big pain. If you have a partner or friend who can advocate for you to deal with the finance people and even for scheduling, that may save you some stress...All of the nursing staff were good. I always felt they could have been a little warmer, because I was always in such a fragile state, but none of them were unkind.
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Insist as much as you can to have her do your retrieval(s) or transfer(s) personally. She's a busy woman so you have to assert yourself. But she's so worth it.
Her approach was to decrease my doses because my previous clinic had me on the highest doses possible and we weren't getting many follicles. Her theory was that I was overstimulated, and that was driving down the quality (and quantity) of eggs. So lower stim doses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The front desk can be frustrating to deal with. They feel much more institutional than the rest of the staff, and it's here that you really realize you're dealing with a university hospital. Finance in particular can be a big pain. If you have a partner or friend who can advocate for you to deal with the finance people and even for scheduling, that may save you some stress.
Approximately $12k per fresh IVF cycle
2010 - 2011, Successful
Dr. Cedars is brilliant, compassionate, and someone who is the absolute best at practicing evidence-based medicine. Although my own egg cycles did not result in children, they were quite impressive in how many perfect 3-day embryos we managed to get out of the number of follicles I had. And though our donor cycles did result in 2 amazing boys, the retrieval and fertilization numbers were not as good as we had expected. Dr. Cedars acknowledged this and took responsibility for perhaps overstimming the donor. But in the end, it mattered not to us because we are glad we didn't have leftover embryos. Dr. Cedars seems to care about everything from the science and statistics to the emotional experience of those of us ttc...
Jill [at UCSF - San Francisco] was very responsive via email and phone. When I had a strong positive beta that went south, I could hear the distress and compassion from her when she had to tell me. I know she felt bad because the original call was a "congrats, US in 6 weeks!" Then she had to tell me about the numbers not doubling and give me a shred of hope but still communicating the reality that the pregnancy was not likely to continue...
How was your experience with Marcelle Cedars at UCSF?
Don't be afraid to ask her lots of questions and let her know how you feel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: JIll)
Jill was very responsive via email and phone. When I had a strong positive beta that went south, I could hear the distress and compassion from her when she had to tell me. I know she felt bad because the original call was a "congrats, US in 6 weeks!" Then she had to tell me about the numbers not doubling and give me a shred of hope but still communicating the reality that the pregnancy was not likely to continue.