Medical SchoolStanford U.
Springfield
955 S. Springfield Avenue
Springfield, NJ 07081
973-258-4081
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Marcus Jurema to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New Jersey to a friend?
While I only had a few appointments in which I formally sat down to speak with Dr. Jurema, it was always clear he had carefully reviewed my files and was familiar with the details of my diagnosis and care. Through calls and appointments, he made time to answer any questions I had. Throughout multiple procedures he was always optimistic, yet realistic - giving me as clear a picture as possible of what I could expect without trying to oversell anything. I also appreciated Dr. Jurema's approach to monitoring visits - entering the room slowly (vs. barging in), taking the time to ask how I was feeling, etc.
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Jurema is friendly and compassionate. During monitoring meetings he always started by asking how I was feeling, which I appreciated. He's very straightforward - I found his descriptions of what we could expect from various procedures to be detailed and realistic, while also optimistic. It never seemed like he was trying to push me toward a particular procedure. I very much felt like I played a role in my care and was able to get all my questions answered.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Let him know what questions and concerns you have. He is always happy to respond and provide more info.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Describe the protocols Marcus Jurema used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We started with two IUI cycles, mostly because that was all my insurance would cover at the time. With a diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve (my AMH level was 0.82), we thought it was worth trying, but we knew the odds of success were low. Both times I was prescribed 75mL of Gonal F per day. The first time I continued the Gonal F shots for 7 days; the second time for 8 days before taking a 750 mcg/0.5mL syringe of Ovidrel as my trigger shot. I was also taking 600mg per day of CoQ10 (a supplement) during both cycles. Dr. Jurema was willing to try another IUI cycle, but my insurance had changed to provide some coverage for IVF, so we decided to move on. During my egg retrieval cycle I took Alyacen birth control pills for 8 days leading up to the cycle, then I took 300 units of Follistim and 75 unit vials of Menopur for 10 days along with 250 mcg/0.5mL syringes of Ganirelix for the last 6 days. I used two Lupron trigger shots at the end. My egg retrieval took place 2 days later resulting in 22 eggs of which 18 were mature. From there we were able to get 12 embryos, which were fertilized via ICSI, and 8 made it on to Day 5 blastocysts. We froze and genetically tested all 8 of those embyros and found 5 were normal, 1 was abnormal, and 1 was unclear. During my whole retrieval cycle I had about 8 monitoring visits. I'm currently in the middle of my transfer cycle and haven't started medications yet, but we plan to transfer 1 of the normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lynette)
Lynette was always on top of things - sending me detailed descriptions of care plans and medication plans and responding to my questions quickly and thoroughly. Overall I've found her to be extremely considerate, caring, and professional. The only downsides of the nursing care at RMA are 1) Lynette was my third nurse in about a 6 month time period, which made my experience feel a bit disjointed; 2) I'm not sure if this is more about RMA or individual nurses, but I don't think there's much of an effort to figure out patient's preferred communication styles, e.g. email, phone, time of day, etc. I found I was always missing phone messages and had to follow up via email and some of that could have been resolved if the info was emailed to me from the start or calls weren't always placed during my morning commute :)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is a huge practice (and let's be honest, it's a big business, too) - you'll definitely sit in waiting rooms with dozens of other couples and realize you're one of a few thousand patients they see every year. That said, the size of the practice gave me lots of confidence that each procedure I underwent would follow best practices. I also felt confident that even if my primary doctor did not perform every procedure, I was in the hands of another highly qualified doctor. I was consistently impressed by the quality of care of nursing, reception, counseling, and financial support staff across multiple offices. And last but certainly not least, I'm impressed by everything I've learned about the quality of RMA's lab and the research that comes out of the practice. I felt like everything about my care was state-of-the-art, best-in-class, and holistic. Even though it's a large practice, I think they go through a lot of effort to consider the patient experience, though I think there are small things they could improve in this regard - like providing more info on your full care team (either on the website or as a packet of info when you first start care), streamlining the educational resources they provide, and/or creating a phone system that's a bit easier to navigate.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
I mostly did my monitoring at the Springfield office of RMA. I found the team there to be incredibly efficient. There were one or two instances in which things seemed to be running behind, but for the most part I was in and out with blood work and ultrasound within 15-20 minutes. The team was always kind and professional. The hours were early enough that I could get in and still make my regular commute to work. Occasionally I had to go to the Basking Ridge office during holidays or on weekends and it was often a different story. My monitoring appointments there sometimes took 1-1.5 hours, but I appreciated that I had a weekend option that wasn't much farther than my regular office, and that the monitoring hours were longer at that office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey.
Initially my insurance fully covered IUI but not IVF, so for my two IUI cycles I paid about $650 for initial diagnostic blood work, an HSG, and co-pays for two visits and medications. All my monitoring visits and the IUI procedure itself were fully covered. For my IVF cycle I had a $10,000 lifetime maximum. Total costs from RMA for the cycle were: $7,977 for the egg retrieval procedure; $1,963 for ICSI; $700 for anesthesia; $1,000 for embryo freezing for up to one year; $1,700 for embryo biopsy; $2,500 for genetic testing; and $4,475 for the embryo transfer. So I paid about $10,315 out of pocket for those expenses. I also paid about $5,500 out of pocket for medications for both the egg retrieval and transfer cycles. And I paid about $400 in co-pays for monitoring visits during both cycles.
Describe Marcus Jurema's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
My doctor suggested single embryo transfer, and from what I had read I strongly agreed with this approach. We weighed the risks of multiple pregnancies with the costs of performing procedures (ICSI, embryo freezing, genetic testing) that would help us ensure our single embryo was genetically normal. Ultimately we decided the costs were worth the benefits of an increased likelihood of a normal embryo and healthy pregnancy.
Springfield
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Jurema is very knowledgeable in his field and took the time to make sure that all of our questions were answered to our satisfaction. Dr. Jurema is very compassionate and empathetic towards his patients. We were most appreciative of the fact that he took the time to contact us directly, instead of through a nurse, to provide us updates on the results of retrieval, fertilization, and embryo progression. We wish all of our doctors, in any profession, were as caring as Dr. Jurema and truly can not say enough positive things about him.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Be prepared for the fact that you will not always see him during monitoring or for procedures, but trust that you are still in caring hands and that he will be following your treatment. Be prepared to receive a lot of information if you seek it.
Felt like a human because he took the time to sit down and talk with us at every step of the process. He was direct about our odds and still supportive of our making our own decision. We were most appreciativee of his contacting us directly, instead of through a nurse, to provide results of retrieval, fertilization, and embryo progression.
micro flare with HGH
All of the staff at the clinic are friendly, knowledgeable within their roles, and compassionate towards the patients - it really makes a difference. We left other clinics because we didn't feel that way and are so happy we made the choice to switch.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
While this is a high volume clinic we NEVER felt like a number (we were very pleasantly surprised by this). And because this is a high volume clinic, they are very knowledgeable and experienced at what they do. They have taken the time and care to create an environment that is warm and comforting for what can be a very draining and grueling process.
co-pays, testing fees, embryo freezing fees
Somerset
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
RMA is expensive, and they are not compassionate when it comes to multiple cycle costs, not necessarily the Doctor but they don't get involved and honestly they should know. They recommend IVF straight away, and in my case that was not the best course of action. I had more testing that should have been done, to realize it was a waste of $28K. I asked Dr. Jurema if there were more tests we could do after my 3rd miscarriage, and he recommended we do another cycle and just pay for the new advanced testing. I had already done testing and had 1 embryo, this recommendation did not make me feel confident and I changed direction after much research.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and trust your gut.
There are many doctors in the RMA practice. It's convenient when needing to schedule appointments, but morning monitoring felt like a chicken coup. You are just a number. I felt as though there could have been more testing on me, as I was not going through insurance, before making a huge investment in IVF.
3 IUI's, 1st round with clomid then switched brands to Letrozole 1 IVF round after unsuccessful IUIs, were doing fresh transfer and was told 1 day before that they were freezing them instead to give them 1 more day to advance After miscarrying with IVF, insurance only covered IUIs. Although they were not successful, they were covered by insurance and we did 4 cycles. First round with Letrozole and developed vertigo like symptoms, we switched to injectables. Unsuccessful 4 IUIs to follow.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
Anne is no longer with RMA. She left during my IVF cycle, and I only found out when I visited the RMA office to do my loss panel due to my miscarriage. She didn't educate me on the medications, often times made me feel like a nuisance when I asked questions too. Staff during morning monitoring in the future, were great. The West Orange office staff is very nice.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths: reputation, multiple offices, resources Weaknesses: patients go to them, so they don't need to focus much on patients, the money is coming to them regardless
Always busy and would often take an hour before it was your turn.
IUI's: around 8K total IVF with medication: 28K
They recommended eSET, and did not feel multiple transfer would be as safe.
Short Hills
After cycle 1 failed, we requested a meeting with Dr. Jurema in which we discussed options for cycle 2. After that meeting, again our access to him was restricted. In the middle of cycle 2 we were given wrong information by the doctor on staff resulting in another delay. When I requested to speak to Dr. Jurema about it I did not receive a call back for several days, and when I did he was short and cold saying that each doctor works with information they have in the moment and may not be fully versed in our case/history. We asked for more personalized care and communication, but it did not improve...
European, Other
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
In our first meeting with Dr. Jurema we felt confident and comfortable with an IUI approach after learning that we had unexplained infertility. Dr. Jurema was smart, polite and attentive during that meeting. At that time the facility was IVF NJ and at the beginning of our cycle I had one appointment at Dr. Jurema's office where I saw him and discussed day-to-day actions. After that, the facility merged with RMA. From that time on we were not able to speak to Dr. Jurema, nor were our appointments with him. We were given the doctor of the moment or the nursing staff for the rest of cycle 1 and cycle 2. During cycle 2, we requested that Dr. Jurema call us after we were given incorrect information by his colleague. When we did receive his call he was cold and short, providing very little understanding. We asked for more personalized care, which he was not able to provide. We emailed Dr. Jurema when we left the facility explaining that we were unable to continue due to the lack of attentiveness and personalization. Unfortunately it appears that Dr. Jurema is handcuffed by RMA, but we can't say for sure as we were only with him a short time before the facility transitioned.
Be prepared for very little interaction with him.
IVF NJ transitioned to RMA during our time with Dr. Jurema. In that time we had to change office locations. Our history and paperwork did not reach the new system in time resulting in a delay of cycle 1. After beginning cycle 1, we had limited interactions with Dr. Jurema by design of RMA. We dealt only with admin and nursing staff on a daily basis, and for procedures or checkups requiring a doctor we were given the doctor on staff at that time. After cycle 1 failed, we requested a meeting with Dr. Jurema in which we discussed options for cycle 2. After that meeting, again our access to him was restricted. In the middle of cycle 2 we were given wrong information by the doctor on staff resulting in another delay. When I requested to speak to Dr. Jurema about it I did not receive a call back for several days, and when I did he was short and cold saying that each doctor works with information they have in the moment and may not be fully versed in our case/history. We asked for more personalized care and communication, but it did not improve. Cycle 2 was also unsuccessful and when we left RMA we sent a detailed note explaining our reason for leaving was due to the impersonal nature of the facility.
We agreed to move forward with an IUI strategy. Through Dr. Jurema and RMA we completed one Hysterosalpingogram, which revealed that my left fallopian tube was stretched and taught, but otherwise fine. Dr. Jurema explained that we could complete further testing to determine if it was endometriosis or we could move ahead with the IUI as sometimes it's possible that a woman's natural anatomy can be a cause. We opted to move forward with IUI only, no further testing. We completed two IUIs, each with a round of Letrozole (alternative to Clomid) and a trigger shot (hcg). On the second IUI cycle we also had to take a second trigger shot. Unfortunately I do not remember the doses. Both cycles resulted in negative pregnancy tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Cecille Tinio)
We were not pleased with the day-to-day communication by the nursing staff. They followed a "playbook," so to speak. Calls were made at a certain time each day with results, usually at the end of the day. If the call was missed there was no way to reach them again until the next day or hope that they were checking the portal overnight. When calls were answered and we had questions, nine times out of 10 they could not be answered. Essentially results were simply read off, not interpreted or used to modify a course of treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA NJ is a factory with little personalized care. We found nearly no positives with this clinic. Wait times were long for daily blood work, access to doctors was restricted, nursing staff or doctors of the moment were rarely educated in our personal journey. After two failed IUIs we were ready to move on to IVF and we knew that we could not go through that process at RMA. And thankfully we made the right choice in leaving there. We found another practice that was extremely personal, was able to modify courses of treatment when needed and monitored me closely throughout the entire journey in order to ensure a positive outcome.
Covered by insurance. Co-pay was our only out of pocket outside of medication.
1 IUI, IVF
Dr. Jurema is without a doubt a skilled practitioner. However, based on my experience, I do think he tends to overpromise without sharing possible realities. I was told that based on the quality of my embryos, chance of implation was 80% which seemed like a done deal in my mind. However but transfers resulted in loss and heartache. I know that at a certain point, he has no control over the outcome but I wish I had been better prepared for failure.
1 IUI, IVF
Ask a lot of questions.
My first transfer resulted in a blighted ovum and I felt that my questions as to why this happened were brushed aside as unexplainable and I got the sense that I was being a nuisance. After a come to Jesus moment with my doctor, the care I received after my second loss was much more supportive and informative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Kira)
My nurse was not very informed and tended to direct any questions I had back to Dr. Jurema. She wasn’t straight forward with information which was frustrating for me.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The RMA Springfield office is brand new and a hidden gem. The staff is fabulous and the office is usually empty so the wait is never that long. I was so happy when they opened last year since it’s so close to my home. I would recommend this location highly.
For IVF including 1 egg retrieval and 2 transfers plus all the meds, cost was about $25000
He advised against multiple embryo transfer saying that it could harm the chances of a successful transfer.
Basking Ridge