Medical SchoolSUNY
(973) 322–8286
Livingston
94 Old Short Hills Road
Livingston, NJ 07039
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Margaret Graf Garrisi to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas to a friend?
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
She [Dr. Margaret Graf Garrisi] was not always the doctor that saw me, or did procedures. I only consulted with her if something went wrong. She was a sweet doctor but sometimes i felt there was a lot of miscommunications and at times i felt like maybe she didn’t know what she was doing knowing my issues. She would give me wrong dosages, at wrong times and would have to cancel cycles. It was a lot of frustrations.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
She was not always the doctor that saw me, or did procedures. I only consulted with her if something went wrong. She was a sweet doctor but sometimes i felt there was a lot of miscommunications and at times i felt like maybe she didn’t know what she was doing knowing my issues. She would give me wrong dosages, at wrong times and would have to cancel cycles. It was a lot of frustrations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Be patient and always ask for her to get back to you, to check you or monitor you, not a technician or a nurse. Communicate well with her and ask her to explain things instead of just rambling on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
I felt like a human because they took the time to consult with me, call me by my name, not a number and treat me like i was a priority. However, i will not put 100% because sometimes they were insensitive to me as a infertility patient.
Describe the protocols Margaret Graf Garrisi used in your cycles at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas and their degree of success.
I will display my full journey. I was diagnosed with PCOS, an ovulatory dysfunction and a blocked dysfunctional tube. met with dr. Garrisi on 10/18/2017 after being referred to her by my gyno. had an ultrasound done. Prescribed Provera and started taking it on 10/19 for the next 7 days. ** Nurse said once I start bleeding on the first day to call them to schedule an appt. for an HSG test. Started first pill of Provera, same day. Few days later, 6th day of pill, a few clots of blood, Spotting. On November 6th had a Saline Sono done. Days later i followed up wit Dr Garrisi, discuss the surgery for removing the polyps. Blood work and ultrasound. Discussed My husband’s blood work and mine. He is a carrier of genetic disorder and I’m negative. (Nothing to worry about) On the 16th- started taking birth control as prescribed to stop my cycle, waiting for surgery schedule date. Surgery scheduled for 12/11 at 10am. Went well. Surgery done on 12/11 - went well. follow up after surgery. found out my polyps were benign but have a chronic endometriosis infection on my uterus lining. Prescribed antibiotics for 14 days to cure the infection. RWas told on the 2nd week to make an appt for the 3rd or 4th week to have follow up biopsy done again. Cervix is back to normal. 12/23 - started taking the antibiotics. Metronidazole 3x a day Doxycycline 2x a day 14 days. *2018* 1/5 - ended the two week antibiotics. Follow up appt done for the 4th week, on 1/17 3 pm No bleeding since. 1/17- follow up appt with dr. Garrisi, has a biopsy done to check if the infection is gone. 1/25 - results in... infection gone. Dr wants to do a saline sono once my period comes to double check if everything is okay to proceed. Need to get on the pill for my period to come. 1/29 - blood work and ultra sound to put me on medroxyprogesterone. 1/30 - started taking the pill for 7 days (call dr. office at cycle day ) 2/13 - Cycle day 1. Called to make the Saline sono for Wednesday 2/21. (Cycle day 9) 2/21 - Saline sono - everything is good and prescribed meds to start the ivf cycle Started birth control at 8:51 pm to stop my cycle For the next 5 days. Cycle day 9. IVF cycle treatment starts March 3rd 2018. 3/3 - started IVF cycle. appt in Livingston, blood work and ultrasound. First injection of gonal F pen 225 units and menapur 75 units. 7:30 pm Saturday, Sunday and Monday only. Tuesday 3/6 appt at 7 am Hoboken. 3/4 - cycle 3 - bleeding less not as heavy. Injections day 2. 3/6 - blood work and an ultrasound in Hoboken. 7 am. Continue injections. Menapur, gonal F and cetotide 3/8 - cycle day 24 - blood work and ultrasound 7 am Hoboken - tech said i had a lot of follicles and that’s good! Take three injections as usual. 6th day of stimming. 3/9 - cycle day 25. Blood work and ultrasound 7 am Hoboken. 3rd time this week. One shot of HCG at 11:30 pm, no other shots. Found out the retrieval is Sunday!!!! 3/10 - cycle day 26. Cramping a lot, a lot of pain. No shots. 3/11 - cycle day 27. Retrieval surgery done at 11:30 am by dr. Thompson Took out 15 follicles/eggs. Went well but In a lot of pain. Starting new medication. Shot of progesterone and two sets of pills. So much pain! 3/12- pain!!!!! Cycle day 28. Found out only 4 eggs fertilized. 3/13 - pain decreased but still there. Cycle day 29. 3/14 - not the greatest of news! Estrogen Levels are really highly 5860 and i have OHSS. Couldn’t do the transfer on day 3. Pain still there. 3/16 - we decided to cancel the day 5 transfer. Ovaries are still enlarged even though my levels went down to 3000 but doctor said it was wise to cancel and wait till next month to do the transfer. I’m okay with this decision, my health comes first. I could’ve gotten very sick. Less pain but still feel it. Super bloated from the fluids in my uterus and back. 3/18- learned the 3rd embryo didn’t make it and i could’ve miscarried. Did not get frozen and i only have two day 3 embies. 3/21 - blood work and ultrasound- estrogen levels are back to normal, ovaries still a little large but everything is healing good. Have a few ovarian cysts due to the retrieval, which according to dr garassi, will go away. 3/27 - appt for blood work and ultrasound. I’m okay. Starting birth control pills to control the cycle, evening. 3/28 - period gone. Cycle day 4 - 2nd day on bc pill. 3/29 - cycle day 5, follow up with dr. Garrisi, everything went well. Will start the meds next week and transfer will be scheduled for 4/24 or 4/25 or 4/26 4/2 - last day of birth control pill. Cycle day 9. 4/3 - follow up for monitoring. Asked to stop the bc pill and will hopefully start Saturday the hormone pills. 4/5 - cycle day 12. Everything normal so far. 4/7 - appt in Livingston- found a lot of cysts in the ovaries and must continue birth control till Thursday. Was not able to start hormones. 4/12 - last day of birth control pill. Monitoring check up Tuesday. 4/17 - no bleeding, doctors appt. I’m okay to start the estrace tonight. 2 pills 2x a day. 4 mg (HERE WE GO! Starting the cycle again!) 4/21 - monitoring, hormone levels went up from 48 on Tuesday 4/17 to 208 and was Told to start taking 2 pills 3x a time. 6 mg. 4/23 - blood work; everything came out okay to continue pills. Levels 296. 4/30 - Doctor appt for monitoring, everything came out okay. Received the email that I’m ready to start preparing for the embryo transfer and it’s scheduled for 5/7. MONDAY IS THE BIG DAY!! start all the rest of the meds and injections on Wednesday. 5/7- was not the big day!!! A huge mistake with the medications happened and the injections were given to me two days too soon and the transfer should’ve been on 5/5 not 5/7. My heart broke! Second time this process has been cancelled. Have to start all over again due to the staffs mistake. Have to wait for my period to come. Stopped meds. 5/14 - first day of period, spoke to nurse Kim, refilled my hormone medications and hopefully after monitoring tomorrow, i can start Tuesday May 15th. 5/15 - appt for usual. Everything came out okay to start hormones today. Second time starting meds for the thaw cycle., third time starting hormones for the IVF cycle. Started estradiol two tablets twice a day, to Friday. Saturday, appt in Livingston 5/23 - day 9 on hormones. doctors appt for monitoring. One week completed. 6/4 - transfer day!!! Two baby embies went in! Finally. 6/15 - positive result. I’m pregnant! My HCG BETA levels are low (22) but have to go in Monday to test again and see if they rising up. Staying positive!! nurse says it’s too soon. 6/18 - results stated i lost the embryos and had an early miscarriage. In July went for a follow up and found out my insurance will no longer cover another treatment and must pay out of pocket. I was not told this during my first and only cycle that it would be my only shot. It was a nightmare of journey which ended up in a big disappointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim Neilley )
The staff was polite at time but not always sensitive to the patients needs. They had an attitude at times and as you read in my whole journey, they screwed a few times with the medications and times to take the medications and not one apologized for their mistake. Only the doctor called to apologize but i wrote an email to my nurse and she never acknowledged it. As an infertility patient, who went through a nightmare of a journey, they should be more understanding. Some where nice.
Describe your experience with Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
Technicians and nurses who draw blood see you more than your own nurse and doctor. The financial aspect of the clinic and most nurses can be rude. Be patient and if you don’t feel comfortable, find a new clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
I would have liked for my doctor to monitor me but it was always a technician who never said a word to me but good morning and have a good day. Never worried about hurting me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Margaret Graf Garrisi at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
My insurance had a limit of $10000 for infertility treatments once in a lifetime
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas?
Hoboken
[Dr. Margaret Graf Garrisi] has been candid and compassionate along the way and this has made my husband and I feel more comfortable with the process. She has explained everything in a way that is easy to digest, even if it's not been the information we were hoping for at the time...She is thorough and she provides answers to all of your questions but be certain to take notes so you can reflect on it all after you've left the appointment.
We have not yet started our cycle so we've only had a few appointments with the doctor. However, she has been candid and compassionate along the way and this has made my husband and I feel more comfortable with the process. She has explained everything in a way that is easy to digest, even if it's not been the information we were hoping for at the time.
Take notes! She is thorough and she provides answers to all of your questions but be certain to take notes so you can reflect on it all after you've left the appointment.
Dr. Garrisi has always made our concerns and questions feel valid. She is patient, thorough and direct. We really appreciate her approach and her positive, yet honest communication style.
Again, since we haven't started our cycle (but are hoping to later this spring), this is difficult to answer. I have my list of medications planned but this will all be finalized as we get closer to the start date.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim McNeilly)
All of the nurses and staff have been patient, kind and quick to respond to my questions/emails/messages. It's been a very positive experience and for that I am very grateful.
I do not have any complaints with IRMS. They have flexible hours, a friendly staff and they are close to where I live. Given that I am in a situation with trying to conceive that I certainly didn't want to find myself in, the treatment and response from this clinic has been overall positive and has made me feel better.
The minimum cost for one cycle will be $12,000. If we opt to do two cycles then we will be faced with a cost of approximately $21,000.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We really respect Dr. Garrisi for her experience and knowledge...She has caught very difficult to catch conditions and is extremely knowledgeable...Dr. Garrisi has always been completely honest and given us answers when we have requested them. She has shown some sympathy, but made sure to be honest and upfront, which we respect. We want answers and solutions over bedside manner...My doctor is also very quick to return calls.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We really respect Dr. Garrisi for her experience and knowledge. In addition, her husband, who also comes highly recommended, works in the lab. I spoke to 5 of her patients on the phone (I found them on Facebook) and spoke to each one of them for an hour asking about their experience and if they would recommend her. Out of those 5, 4 said they would highly recommend her. She has caught very difficult to catch conditions and is extremely knowledgeable.
I would recommend that they also reach out to other patients/former patients of Dr. Garrisi's. It's important to feel good/confident about choosing the right fertility doctor. You are spending a ridiculous amount of money and you want to make sure you feel you have made the right choice. The doctor must not only have a great deal of fertility knowledge to understand your condition, but they also must be able to help you focus on solutions to get you your wanted end result, a baby!
Drugs for Egg Retrieval: Follistim (900 iu), Menapur (25 vials), Ganirelix (250 mg), ACG (One 10 unit Vile) Progesterone Olive Oil (Two 10mg vials), Methylprednisolone (Four 16 mg tablets) and Doxycline (Eight 100 mg capsules). Drugs for Transfer: I was on BC for about 10 days (I believe that's how many days), Estrace and Progesterone. I think I also took Doxycline. Throughout this whole process, I was also taking Metformin (not prescribed by Dr. Garrisi, but used to regulate my period) and Vitafol Prenatal.
Pros: My clinic is close by and it's very easy to get in and out quickly when I have to go for bloodwork/ultrasounds. My doctor is also very quick to return calls. Weaknesses: Nothing really so far. I wish the weekend clinic was closer to my home... And the wait on the weekends can be pretty long, unfortunately.
The Hoboken clinic was run like a well-oiled machine. I get very stressed at ultrasounds because the technician cannot discuss your scans and it causes a tremendous amount of anxiety. I wish this part was done by a doctor.
IRMS is located in Hoboken (City) and located right next to NYC... It's a very expensive town, so the bills have coincided with the location, fairly expensive.
Describe Margaret Graf Garrisi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas.
I have heard that single embryo transfer has much healthier results. I'm 39 years old and don't want to risk multiple pregnancies, risking the health of the babies.
None, Unexplained
I felt as though it took several cycles to get the personalized care my body needed. Once Dr. Garrisi figured out what that was she was very attentive and created the best path to get me pregnant....Dr. Garissi is straight and to the point. She talks in scientific terms but she does know what she’s doing. She is not warm and fuzzy, but I do trust her and eventually she got us to our desired outcome, which she was determined to do.
None, Unexplained
Advocate for yourself. You know your body best- even better than a doctor does.
Chloymid natural cycle, chloymid iui, two glonal f IUIs. Medicated egg retrieval with frozen transfer. First transfer was cancelled due to an infection. Second transfer over 1 year after beginning treatment was a success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Kim )
Kim was responsive and answered all questions I had. I did not feel as though she went above and beyond to check in on me or make sure that I felt comfortable with each step of treatment.
They know what they are doing. They are good at what they do. At times, you feel like a number, instead of a human who should be receiving very personalized care. In the end, they gave us our greatest gift.
Lines could be very long as could the waits. The earlier you got there before monitoring the better. With the amount of women there on any given day, I do think they managed time well.
Insurance covered most of our costs other than copays and yearly rate to freeze our embryos ($15 each visit, and $1300 for the year).
I appreciated Dr. Garissi not transferring an embryo until she was sure the environment was 100 percent right, although the cancelled cycles made for a difficult road at the time.
PCOS, Other
I like Dr. Garrisi, she was not my first choice however, i saw her and the experience was good. I nothing to complain about. I saw her a few times during my treatment but i dealt with the nurse and other covering docs more.... She is a very nice person overall, her bedside manner is good. One piece of advice ask questions lots of them even if they might seem stupid to you.
PCOS, Other
It was great talking to her about my treatment and the step that needed to be taken.
The treatment strategies and protocols were as expected as she did explain to me during my initial visit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Reproductive Medicine & Science at Saint Barnabas. (Assigned nurse: Jackie Thompson)
My nurse that i was assigned to is amazing, she calls me with information and return my calls when i have questions. She has wonderful bedside manner and great at explaining how things work.
The clinic is part of a hospital which is great. It is clean, has easy access to parking and located in a good neighborhood. It is very convenient for me to get to work right after. I like the hours of operation 6:30 am to 7:30. Get in and get out.
My treatment consists of co-payments, deductible and insurance costs.
There were no specific preference for me.
Westfield
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Garrisi is a great doctor. I have been under her care since June 2017. I think she and her team are really great and helpful. I have undergone 2 IUI cycles which I was told the outcome before hand. She is very wise and knowledgeable....I have used clomid, trigger shots, estrogen pills to increase my uterus lining 2mg three times per day, vivelle dot patch 1mg - change every other day. Progesterone pills in my first IUI cycle after insemination.
PCOS, Unexplained
I would say ask a lot of questions, it's the only way to know the answers.
My nurse is very responsive and returns all my calls in a timely manner. She has the answers to all my questions. And most importantly she is very kind.