6.3

Maria Costantini-Ferrando works at

25 Rockwood Place
Englewood, NJ 07631
201-569-7773

She [Dr. Constantini-Ferrando] is warm and personable as well as knowledgeable. Unfortunately after our first appointment I didn’t feel like we had an opportunity to talk strategy and most of the information I got seemed be on a “need to know” basis or I came with questions but the process is complicated and could use some more detailed explaining along the way....The way she’s interacted with me made me feel like she really cared about the outcome of my treatment.
The front desk [at RMA] is very friendly. My one criticism would be the phone system, it’s not easy to get someone on the phone. Typically you have to get a callback. You have to go through a lot of steps when you’re trying to leave a message and it always seems that you’re “in line” waiting for the next receptionist to pick up the call...While be Breanna always had a very positive demeanor and tone of voice, I just felt like I was getting dribs and drabs of information.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
She is warm and personable as well as knowledgeable. Unfortunately after our first appointment I didn’t feel like we had an opportunity to talk strategy and most of the information I got seemed be on a “need to know” basis or I came with questions but the process is complicated and could use some more detailed explaining along the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
Come prepared with your questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
She has a warm manner. The way she’s interacted with me made me feel like she really cared about the outcome of my treatment.
Describe the protocols Maria Costantini-Ferrando used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We used estradiol first. Then low-dose hCG, Cetrotide, and Gonal F. For the trigger it was Lupron and Pregnyl. I responded well to most. Gonal F gave me terrible headaches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Breanna)
While be Breanna always had a very positive demeanor and tone of voice, I just felt like I was getting dribs and drabs of information. Just the immediate next step for the next morning or the next day. I always felt like I had to follow up and ask more questions about what the bigger picture next steps would be.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The front desk is very friendly. My one criticism would be the phone system, it’s not easy to get someone on the phone. Typically you have to get a callback. You have to go through a lot of steps when you’re trying to leave a message and it always seems that you’re “in line” waiting for the next receptionist to pick up the call
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Monitoring hours are between six and 730 in the morning. It’s always crowded, but the blood work typically goes very quickly. Then you’ll go back out to the waiting room and wait for the ultrasound. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the doctor to make it into the room. But generally speaking your in and out within 30-45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey.
For an IVF cycle, insurance was charged $9500. I paid approximately $3000 out-of-pocket which covered the cryopreservation and the coinsurance portion.
Treated 2015 - 2016
When we started back up in October the doctor [Dr Constantini-Ferrando] kept referring to our April/May conversation like it was supposed to be fresh in our minds. As a result it was a rocky start for us and it was frustrating until we found our cadence with the process....There were times I had an emotional breakdown and I felt she was able to connect. Also had conversations with my husband to make sure he was doing ok with handling my treatments.
Her office [RMA of New Jersey] has a great eLearning tool that really helps with the education part of the process....Rhonda was great. Wished she would be more organized when leaving me messages on the phone. Usually felt like she was trying to multitask when we were speaking but she did communicate all the information thoroughly....It feels like feast or famine. Either its super packed or its empty. Comfortable setting without any major issues. Only a fan a select few of the phlebotomists there since some of them were fairly rough when drawing blood. Staff is great overall.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
The doctor was great. Her office has a great eLearning tool that really helps with the education part of the process. Only issue for us is that we started the introduction in April/May but didn't go forward until November because of financial constraints. When we started back up in October the doctor kept referring to our April/May conversation like it was supposed to be fresh in our minds. As a result it was a rocky start for us and it was frustrating until we found our cadence with the process.
Come ready with questions on your first intro meeting. Its the most amount of time you'll spend with her in one sitting
I have a blocked tube that could have been treated through other methods but the doctor suggested to go forward directly with IVF given my limited insurance allowance. I'm still in the middle of the process but hoping for positive results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rhonda)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Was hit or miss in the waiting room but went fairly quickly
About $12k for egg retrieval and FET.
Treated 2015 - 2016
Pro: she [Dr Constantini-Ferrando] has background as a therapist, so she's very compassionate. Con: we rarely see her - and when we do, visits feel a bit rushed. Also when they make observations during ultrasound, they speak to the nurse/technician using jargon, and not as much to me. Then they say, "come back in two days for bloodwork" without much explanation.
[RMA of New jersey's] strengths: doctors and nurses Weaknesses: not enough phlebotomists. Morning monitoring is always at least a half an hour wait, even if you arrive before monitoring hours start. Also some of the phlebotomists are not great. Once I ended up with a bruise that lasted 2 weeks, at least...Monitoring hours are conveniently scheduled in the morning. However even arriving at 5:45 there is a line out the door. It is first come first serve, and the system works, but there are just too many people at this clinic served by too few phlebotomists. Also, while I appreciate that only doctors do ultrasounds, there are only 2 doctors, so this slows things down enormously. I pretty much expect to be there for a half hour in the best case scenario, and sometimes for an hour or more.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
Pro: she has background as a therapist, so she's very compassionate. Con: we rarely see her - and when we do, visits feel a bit rushed. Also when they make observations during ultrasound, they speak to the nurse/technician using jargon, and not as much to me. Then they say, "come back in two days for bloodwork" without much explanation.
It will take a long time. Everything will take longer than you think. I just reached a full year of treatment and have only had one retrieval, one attempted embryo transfer (failed) and only one viable embryo remaining. And because of insurance issues (that were muddied in part due to ineffective advice from the finance department), no hope of doing another retrieval unless I get new insurance.
Actual time spent with doctor is very short. We are often rushed without much opportunity to ask questions, or are directed to ask our nurse. However, the short time we do spend with her she is very warm and understanding. Our nurse is fantastic.
IVF with CCS, because I was diagnosed with a balanced translocation of chromosomes 11 and 18. Frozen cycles to allow for testing. After failed embryo transfer, Dr. recommended endometrial biopsy. Results negative. Presence of cyst delayed transfer, so an endometrial disruption was scheduled. Waiting for day one of cycle to start frozen transfer cycle.
Rhonda is fantastic. But I do feel like I'm told things on a limited, need-to-know basis. Like I'm only given information for the very next step, but have little understanding of long term plans for treatment unless I ask explicitly.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths: doctors and nurses Weaknesses: not enough phlebotomists. Morning monitoring is always at least a half an hour wait, even if you arrive before monitoring hours start. Also some of the phlebotomists are not great. Once I ended up with a bruise that lasted 2 weeks, at least.
Maxed out my $30,000 lifetime infertility benefits after one retrieval cycle. Spent over $10,000 out of pocket.
Treated 2020
Speak up to her [Dr. Constantini-Ferrando] about your needs and questions during the consult as you might not get to speak with her again for a while as you’ll see a variety of doctors during your monitoring...When I was able to speak with the doctor she was wonderful but I think due to practice size there would be long periods of time without feedback from her...I responded well to the lowest dose of clomid so we went that route along with an ovidrel trigger and double insemination.
Some days my nurse [at RMA of New Jersey] would take a very long time to call me regarding my morning monitoring results and I also felt that she didn’t explain the results thoroughly with me and only volunteered information if I asked a lot of questions about it...The staff at the office was very friendly and almost always efficient and running on time. There were times though that phone consults were either delayed or missed causing me to have to reschedule them which was very inconvenient.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
Sometimes it was difficult to be in touch with my provider and I didn’t always feel like there was someone giving me feedback during my monitoring. When I was able to speak with her she was wonderful and did a great job at putting me at ease while also making sure I had completely realistic expectations.
Speak up to her about your needs and questions during the consult as you might not get to speak with her again for a while as you’ll see a variety of doctors during your monitoring and then speak with your nurse later.
Some days my nurse would take a very long time to call me regarding my morning monitoring results and I also felt that she didn’t explain the results thoroughly with me and only volunteered information if I asked a lot of questions about it.
My IUIs were covered so I only had co-pays of $25
Treated 2016
She [Dr. Maria Costantini-Ferrando] was a strong proponent of a single transfer with a pgs tested embryo which I felt comfortable with...She always took the time to explain things in detail, to remember particulars about my care, and to share words of encouragement...She is blunt and realistic in a way I appreciated. She is kind, compassionate and wants the best for her patients. I could tell she works very hard and very dedicated she does this to help build families because she loves hers so much.
There was a wait at times [at RMA of New Jersey] but never too bad they were pretty efficient and always good experiences with blood draws...My retrieval and transfer were done at the main location with other doctors I had never met before as well as many monitoring appointments but I was happy with all of them and felt they were all on the same page and following the plan set by my main doctor...She [nurse] always got back to me explained whatever I need help with and seemed to care about my well being and outcome.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
She will tell you what you need to hear not necessarily what you want to hear.
I got the sense that yes she deals with patients and these issues day in and day out but I took it as a comfort with her she that she is knowledgeable and experienced and was applying that skill to my care. She always took the time to explain things in detail, to remember particulars about my care, and to share words of encouragement.
She did not describe my protocol in those terms to me which I did not find necessary at the time. Later as I learned more through research I could tell what my protocol was but I forget now. The protocol seemed to work well for my follicle growth and egg retrieval I did feel that I was sensitive to the hormones mood wise and she claimed it wouldn’t be the meds which I wasn’t convinced but the retrieval and transfer went well so I was pleased with that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Dessi)
She always got back to me explained whatever I need help with and seemed to care about my well being and outcome.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
There were long waits some mornings. My retrieval and transfer were done at the main location with other doctors I had never met before as well as many monitoring appointments but I was happy with all of them and felt they were all on the same page and following the plan set by my main doctor.
There was a wait at times but never too bad they were pretty efficient and always good experiences with blood draws.
My entire cycle was about $20,000 I think
Describe Maria Costantini-Ferrando's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
She was a strong proponent of a single transfer with a pgs tested embryo which I felt comfortable with.