U. of Arizona

1760 E Pecos Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85295
480-351-8222

Treated 2017 - 2018
Knowledgeable and compassionate but too busy, sometimes I felt like things the Dr [Amols] told me he later contradicted himself...the Dr does all your scans which is nice but they are only 5-10 minute appointments so this is the only time I had to speak with Dr. After scans if you have any questions Dr will set you up with nurse or Cordinator to discuss... Dr was always rushed to get to next patient, follow ups take too long to schedule...
Clinic [New Direction] is new and beautiful, but so busy...I messaged clinic I started my period more than 1 time, communication is through text. The nurse overlooked this message and 3 day scan was not ordered... After scans if you have any questions Dr will set you up with nurse or Cordinator to discuss...Extremely busy clinic and Dr was always rushed to get to next patient...the Dr does all your scans which is nice but they are only 5-10 minute appointments so this is the only time I had to speak with Dr.
How was your experience with Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers?
Knowledgeable and compassionate but too busy, sometimes I felt like things the Dr told me he later contradicted himself. Like after first retrieval he told me he thought he achieved goal which was really great, 3rd cycle he wanted to change protocol and I asked why we aren't doing what we did first time, since he thought that was a good cycle, and response was it was an ok cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers?
Stay on top of things.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers?
Extremely busy clinic and Dr was always rushed to get to next patient, follow ups take too long to schedule
Describe the protocols Mark Amols used in your cycles at New Direction Fertility Centers and their degree of success.
Microdose Lupron flare gonal menapur bcp prime. Batched cycle. Retrieved 7 eggs 2 were seperated from sac during retrieval, I was left in a lot of discomfort after retrieval, 4 fertilized 2 5 day embryos, PGs abnormal, Estrogen prime back to back cycle, gonal menapur, lead follicle only 3retrieved,2 mature 2 fertilized, too poor quality for testing or freezing 3rd cycle estrogen prime lead follicle cancelled day 7 of stim, I was monitored from out of state, Dr would not cancel sooner because he did not trust scan of monitoring Dr. Which also happened previous cycle. Later after I was told how horrible monitoring Dr was at measuring follicles at end of conversation I was told the scans weren't the problem, I was dealing with lead follicle issue.
Describe your experience with New Direction Fertility Centers.
Clinic is new and beautiful, but so busy, the Dr does all your scans which is nice but they are only 5-10 minute appointments so this is the only time I had to speak with Dr. After scans if you have any questions Dr will set you up with nurse or Cordinator to discuss
What specific things went wrong at New Direction Fertility Centers?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Direction Fertility Centers.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Apparently Dr. Amols was very involved in care early on, but I think they've gotten very busy lately and I definitely felt like a number and like I was following a certain "recipe" that didn't apply to me individually.... Dr. Amols has a great bedside manner. I feel like he and his clinic have a successful system down for routine IVF patients, but don't handle "ouliers"...difficult IVF histories and older patients...well. If you don't fit their program, you're likely to fall through the cracks.
Communication is a weakness. It's improved with a new app they [New Direction] use to text, but is still not at the level I've experienced at other clinics, where I feel more like a patient than a number. Financial communication REALLY needs some improvement. First of all, they quoted us $1200 for PGS, but failed to tell us that we'd also have to pay the lab $1800... I had a cycle delayed a month because they didn't tell me when I'd need to start medications for that cycle.
How was your experience with Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers?
Dr. Amols has a great bedside manner. I feel like he and his clinic have a successful system down for routine IVF patients, but don't handle "ouliers"...difficult IVF histories and older patients...well. If you don't fit their program, you're likely to fall through the cracks. Thankfully, his prices are much more fair out of pocket than most other clinics, but it adds up with failed cycles, cost of freezing, and extra transfers. Some places include this in their packages, so compare that as well. Also, they weren't up front about total PGS costs, which would have changed our decision, but we didn't know the total cost until it was too late.
Be your own advocate. You're paying them, don't be afraid to reach out and clarify things. Consider how routine your case seems to be, and consider your age.
My protocol with Dr. Amols used much lower doses of stims than previous cycles, and seemed to take forever to get to retrieval. I was on an agonist/antagonist cycle using lupron, menopur, follistim, and cetrotide. I was never really given a rationale for using this protocol, was just given the protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Direction Fertility Centers.
You will rarely encounter a nurse after egg retrieval. I found this to be very disappointing. After retrieval, for transfers and all other questions, they go through his staff of Medical Assistants. I've always had a primary nurse at any other clinic I've been to, so this was very hard to get used to. There's a different knowledge/experience base.
Describe your experience with New Direction Fertility Centers.
Communication is a weakness. It's improved with a new app they use to text, but is still not at the level I've experienced at other clinics, where I feel more like a patient than a number. Financial communication REALLY needs some improvement. First of all, they quoted us $1200 for PGS, but failed to tell us that we'd also have to pay the lab $1800...we found this out when the lab called us for payment. Not a happy day. They have also been reluctant to answer questions about the cost of FET. On a better note, they do include most of their pricing online, I just wish it would be more comprehensive and up front.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers.
Retrieval $4800 ICSI $500 PGS $3000 FET $2000 Storage $500/yr
Describe Mark Amols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Direction Fertility Centers.
Dr. Amols seems to have a bias for multiple embryo transfer, but is open to and fully explains eSET, and the risks/benefits of both.
What specific things went wrong at New Direction Fertility Centers?
I had a cycle delayed a month because they didn't tell me when I'd need to start medications for that cycle. I've also had the wrong prescription called in. I also asked for brith control with less side effects and was not offered more than one other option, that had the same horrible side effects.
Treated 2017
Dr. Amols was nice but he didn’t treat us like an important patient. After the 3 IUIs we decided to change clinics and see someone knew. Dr. Amols barely did any blood work on my and my new clinic did so much testing and found out i was a carrier for CF. Dr. Amols never told me that.... Two cycles with clomid and a trigger shot and the last iui was with Femara and trigger shot.
Clinic [New Direction] was clean and nicely decorated. The front office staff never said hi or bye or made us feel Welcomed. The first treatment they sent my prescription to the wrong pharmacy and i told them 2-3 which location it needed to be.... the staff was never nice and never remembered or checked the charts that we have to use donor sperm and it was a constant reminder because they always made comments that we would use his sperm.
How was your experience with Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers?
If you are doing IUIs don’t waste your time. They only care about IVF patients and they don’t do detailed testing.
We did IUIs so i didn’t feel as important as the IVF patients. Probably because i didn’t pay as much. He never did blood work on me or checked to see if I was even ovulating. I felt like we wasted $6k on 3 IUIs with him and the staff was never nice and never remembered or checked the charts that we have to use donor sperm and it was a constant reminder because they always made comments that we would use his sperm.
I didn’t care for them. One girl in particular put me in a bad mood because she just looked unhappy to be there.
Describe your experience with New Direction Fertility Centers.
Clinic was clean and nicely decorated. The front office staff never said hi or bye or made us feel Welcomed. The first treatment they sent my prescription to the wrong pharmacy and i told them 2-3 which location it needed to be. That was a horrible night running all over trying to get it.
$750 for the iui and $25 for the visits
Treated 2017
Dr Amols has great bedside manner. He answered our questions and helped prepare us for treatments! I did feel that he was overly busy at times trying to keep up with his patient workload. Although when he was present he helped put our minds at ease by talking to my husband and I during treatments...The appointments can feel overwhelming ...
This clinic [New Direction Fertility Centers] is extremely busy. I don’t feel that they have any outside resources available for their patients and spouses or if they do no one offered them to us. The nurses and assistants have been nice but I wish they would return my phone calls with a call and not a message on the office messaging system...$300 hsg .. 750 iui 400 Meds for iui .. 50 for doctor visits .. 100 for sperm analysis each time
How was your experience with Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers?
Come prepared to every appointment with questions written down. The appointments can feel overwhelming and you may forget to ask questions
When I first started going, I would call with questions and someone would be there to answer or would call me back. The last couple months my calls are returned by a message on a messaging system leaving no room for me to ask additional questions if I thought of others. Some prefer messaging over talking but I prefer to talk to someone.
Describe your experience with New Direction Fertility Centers.
This clinic is extremely busy. I don’t feel that they have any outside resources available for their patients and spouses or if they do no one offered them to us. The nurses and assistants have been nice but I wish they would return my phone calls with a call and not a message on the office messaging system. With that being said, Dr Amols is a great doctor. He is very personable
Treated 2016 - 2018
He [Dr. Mark Amols] is a nice guy but has a tremendous ego. He did not take my questions or concerns seriously and was incredibly defensive when I questioned him about anything. Though I felt he was a good doctor, I found him to be very condensending.... I think Dr Amols knows what he is doing but I just feel that he is trying to treat too many patients and that he does really listen to his patients. He is absolutely convinced he knows what is best for every woman.
Susan [at New Direction Fertility Centers] was great explaining everything financial. The office is lovely and very clean and updated. I believe the lab has updated equipment. ... Also it was incredibly stressful not to ever have a good overview of the process or know exactly what was coming next. I really was just a number here.... The total for one round with pgs was about $7,000
How was your experience with Mark Amols at New Direction Fertility Centers?
He is a nice guy but has a tremendous ego. He did not take my questions or concerns seriously and was incredibly defensive when I questioned him about anything. Though I felt he was a good doctor, I found him to be very condensending.
He is cheaper, but you get what you pay for.
Everything was not explained well at all. My questions were rarely answered. I was asked to use some app to contact all office staff including the doctor. They did not even get to many of my questions.
Microsose lupron protocol. Trigger shot was half dose.
They were all way to busy.
Describe your experience with New Direction Fertility Centers.
Susan was great explaining everything financial. The office is lovely and very clean and updated. I believe the lab has updated equipment. It was easy to get to and close to my work. I think Dr Amols knows what he is doing but I just feel that he is trying to treat too many patients and that he does really listen to his patients. He is absolutely convinced he knows what is best for every woman. Also it was incredibly stressful not to ever have a good overview of the process or know exactly what was coming next. I really was just a number here.
The total for one round with pgs was about $7,000