Medical SchoolWright St
ResidencyWright St
FellowshipDuke
3533 Southern Blvd
Kettering, OH 45429
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mark Bidwell to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kettering Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.9
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. B was fantastic. He was straightforward in his answers and information, but never blunt or abrupt. He [Dr. Bidwell] told us what his recommendation was (medicated IUI) but did not push us to that path and allowed us to do some medicated timed intercourse cycles. He let us go through this at our own pace, which was incredibly helpful....Dr. B took the time (which ended up being a long time) to go over our test results and answer any questions we had. He had pictures/diagrams and patiently discussed treatment options and concerns.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Mark Bidwell at Kettering Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. B was fantastic. He was straightforward in his answers and information, but never blunt or abrupt. He told us what his recommendation was (medicated IUI) but did not push us to that path and allowed us to do some medicated timed intercourse cycles. He let us go through this at our own pace, which was incredibly helpful. He wasn't always my doctor (my cycles just happened to sync up on days when his colleague, Dr. K, or a nurse was the one giving ultrasounds) but I was always able to get an appointment with him to discuss next steps when necessary and he was the one who performed my successful IUI.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Bidwell at Kettering Reproductive Medicine?
He tends to think out loud on occasion, which can be scary when he's saying "Hmm.. interesting..." but don't let that scare you. If you need clarification on something, then ask for it and he will gladly give it to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Bidwell at Kettering Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. B took the time (which ended up being a long time) to go over our test results and answer any questions we had. He had pictures/diagrams and patiently discussed treatment options and concerns. When I'd make self-deprecating comments about myself (fairly common occurrence as treatment went on), he'd admonish me like I was his child and tell me not to think like that. His staff is absolutely phenomenal and the nurses were always prompt with returning calls and were particularly empathetic.
Describe the protocols Mark Bidwell used in your cycles at Kettering Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I met with my RE for the first time in November 2016 and began what he called "the investigation period." Lots of tests later, we discovered that my husband had low morphology (2%), my AMH was high (8.6 ng/ml), and my 7DPO progesterone was 8.7 ng/ml unmedicated; my RE likes to see at least a 10 for unmedicated cycles and a 15 for medicated cycles. Based on these findings, my RE recommended we go forward with fertility drugs and IUI. We asked to continue with timed intercourse for the time being and he agreed. Here is my cycle breakdown for the timed intercourse cycles: Clomid 50mg for 5 days, unmonitored. Clomid 50mg for 5 days, monitored. Follicles weren't growing well, so they upped my dosage to Clomid 100mg for 5 more days, during which I ovulated on my own. 7DPO progesterone was 19.7 ng/ml. Clomid 100mg for eight days, monitored. Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation. 7DPO progesterone was 17.7 ng/ml. Faint positive tests and blood work showed a chemical pregnancy. Clomid 150mg for six days, monitored. Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation. Started taking Metformin this cycle. 7DPO progesterone was 33.9 ng/ml. Clomid 150mg for six days, monitored. Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation. 7DPO progesterone wasn't checked after great number during previous cycle. Letrozole 5mg for five days, monitored. Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation. 7DPO progesterone was 17.8 ng/ml. At this point, we were frustrated and ready to move on to IUI. Before that, we wanted to be sure both of my tubes were clear since we were paying out of pocket for the procedures. Since I had mentioned my history of harsh period cramps at my first RE appointment, he was able to code the procedures as something other than infertility with insurance, so they were completely covered. I had my hysteroscopy and laparoscopy in July 2017; the RE found completely clear tubes and a healthy uterus, meaning the blockage shown in my HSG the year prior had been a spasm. Armed with that knowledge, we moved forward with IUIs. Here are those cycle breakdowns: Letrozole 7.5mg for 5 days, Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation, second Ovidrel shot 5DPO to keep my progesterone levels up (my RE prefers this to progesterone supplements unless absolutely necessary). Post-wash stats: 36.4 million count. 91% motility, 4 on the forward progression scale. 7DPO progesterone levels of 27.8 ng/ml. 15mm cyst discovered at CD3 ultrasound. Benched for this cycle. Letrozole 10mg for 5 days, Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation, second Ovidrel shot 5DPO to keep my progesterone levels up. Post-wash stats: 34 million count, 92% motility, 4 on the forward progression scale. Faint positive tests and blood work showed a chemical pregnancy. Letrozole 10mg for 5 days, Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation, second Ovidrel shot 5DPO to keep my progesterone levels up. Post-wash stats: 37 million count, 90% motility, 4 on the forward progression scale. Made the choice to abstain from sex after 3DPIUI due to slight bleeding (first time we chose to do this). Positive home test result at 16DPIUI. Beta that day came back at 326 with my progesterone level at 59. Second beta at 20DPIUI came back at 2,132. Third beta at 24DPIUI came back at 7,900.
Oh, these nurses. These ladies absolutely rock. All of them (especially Doan, Nicole, Shelby, Ann, and Colleen) were compassionate, organized, knowledgable, and just all-around awesome ladies. They cried with me during the good and bad times. The office staff were always very well-organized as well; I never had any issues with insurance or scheduling appointments.
Describe your experience with Kettering Reproductive Medicine.
I was incredibly happy overall with my experience at this clinic. I appreciated the HGTV marathons in the waiting room and the lack of obnoxious baby pictures bragging about successes. They have a monthly support group, which I think is a great idea; I would have loved to participate, but the 1.5 hour drive was too much for me. Oftentimes my appointments started late, but never more than 15-20 minutes, and I realized as I spent more time there that things ran behind because the staff was so dedicated to making sure that everyone had a good experience and felt good about their own appointments. You can't go wrong with Dr. Bidwell or his colleague, Dr. Karnitis.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Bidwell at Kettering Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covered fertility drugs and ultrasounds, but no procedures. I paid maybe $4 per cycle for Clomid or Letrozole, and each Ovidrel shot was around $10 out of pocket. The semen sample wash cost $150 and the actual IUI procedure cost $185, both out of pocket. We were also paying for OPKs (specifically ClearBlue Advanced Digital kits) and various supplements out of pocket at the recommendation of our doctor.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I do feel that in my initial appointment [with Dr. Bidwell] (where we were told that IVF with ICSI was our best shot at achieving pregnancy) our odds were presented to us with a little too much certainty. Basically I was told that it was almost a 100% chance I'd be pregnant by our second cycle. In reality I ended up with "degenerate eggs" and no baby after 2 attempts. I don't feel as though I was prepared for the possibility things may fail. When we chose to move on to donor embryos Dr. Bidwell was supportive but did present us with other options as well to make sure we made the right choice for us. I was disappointed that Dr. Bidwell wouldn't accept embryos from another office, but he was happy to do all my monitoring. Overall I was very happy with the care I received from Dr. Bidwell.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Mark Bidwell at Kettering Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Bidwell is very smart and I always trusted him with my care. I do feel that in my initial appointment (where we were told that IVF with ICSI was our best shot at achieving pregnancy) our odds were presented to us with a little too much certainty. Basically I was told that it was almost a 100% chance I'd be pregnant by our second cycle. In reality I ended up with "degenerate eggs" and no baby after 2 attempts. I don't feel as though I was prepared for the possibility things may fail. When we chose to move on to donor embryos Dr. Bidwell was supportive but did present us with other options as well to make sure we made the right choice for us. I was disappointed that Dr. Bidwell wouldn't accept embryos from another office, but he was happy to do all my monitoring. Overall I was very happy with the care I received from Dr. Bidwell.
Don't expect him to be warm and fuzzy. He is a great doctor but he can be a little short with his answers. He is for the most part a straight shooter.
Dr. Bidwell and his staff were very friendly. They talked to me candidly and gave me all the information, not just what I wanted to hear. If I called or emailed they got back with me promptly.
The nurses were compassionate and full of empathy. I mostly saw the nurses Angie and Carol. Carol was the one who had to call me over and over again with bad news and I felt like she genuinely cared.
Describe your experience with Kettering Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic overall is great too. They have a woman who researches your insurance and puts together a packet of costs that is broken down to individual labs. They give you information on applying for medication discounts. It's a convenient location with easy parking. Labs are done on-sight. The office is attached to a hospital where you can go for further testing. The waiting area is quiet, clean, and always playing HGTV.
Describe Mark Bidwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kettering Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Bidwell is open to single and double embryo transfers.
9 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Bidwell, out of all the fertility doctors we have seen, has been the best. I liked that he was the one performing almost all of the ultrasounds and procedures. The one time we had a transfer without him, was the one that stuck. Even so, I appreciated his attitude and positive manner over the other doctors I have seen. He also did just recite a line, he would chat with us and make us feel better about things.
9 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Mark Bidwell at Kettering Reproductive Medicine?
I don't know about advice, but choosing him is a very good choice.
Dr. Bidwell was very compassionate, understanding and thorough. I never felt like a number to him. He knew our history and showed he cared.
I've gone through so many different treatment protocols, it would take a long time to remember it all! I remember him increasing my dosages of follicle stimulating hormone to try and work with the diminished ovarian reserve. We ended up doing a donor cycle after speaking with him about how things weren't going so well with my own eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kettering Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
The nursing staff is WONDERFUL! Very sweet and always willing to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with Kettering Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Wonderful, compassionate nurses, staff, and doctors. Willing to answer questions via email. Very organized. Weaknesses: I honestly can't think of any.
I can't recall. Insurance covered everything up until diagnosis, then it was out of pocket. Donor eggs was the most expensive thing we did.
2012 - 2014
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Mark Bidwell] was willing to try several things before moving to donor eggs which is exactly what we wanted. During the course of all our treatments, some successful, some not, he was always very informative, compassionate and reliable...Dr Bidwell was pretty consistent with appointments running behind, but the care and attention he gave during your appointments made up for it ten fold
2012 - 2014
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Mark Bidwell at Kettering Reproductive Medicine?
We came to Dr Bidwell on the heels of having seen a different RE, who told us that our chances of conceiving and carrying a baby to term were extremely low. The manner in which this other RE relayed the info to us was very off putting and we sought out a second opinion. Dr Bidwell spent well over an hour with us in our consultation going over test results, explaining them in a way we could understand, and he gave us options. He was willing to try several things before moving to donor eggs which is exactly what we wanted. During the course of all our treatments, some successful, some not, he was always very informative, compassionate and reliable.
Felt like a human because the practice was small enough for he and the nurses to remember us and really give us personalized care. He also took the time to really explain things well to us, never making us feel rushed.
Clomid w/timed intercourse - unsuccessful IUI - unsuccessful Donor Egg IVF - successful 2 out of 3 times
Carol was the donor egg/IVF nurse. She felt like family to me. She was very informative, always kept us in the loop and was quick to call with any results
Describe your experience with Kettering Reproductive Medicine.
They are very organized and detail oriented. They are very informative and educational. They are compassionate and understanding. I have no complaints about my experience there