Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolMed Col of Virgina
ResidencyMed Col of Virgina
FellowshipEmory
991 Sibley Memorial Highway
St. Paul, MN 55118
651-379-3110
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mark Damario to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota to a friend?
I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all.... He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once
How was your experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once— Dr. Damario called me after my first BHCG to tell me I was pregnant and had “an honest to goodness good pregnancy level.” But two days later, when my BHCG dropped, Dr. Damario had one of the nurses contact me to tell me I was going to miscarry. Dr. Damario miscounted my follicles during my baseline ultrasound. During my ultrasound after miscarriage diagnosis, Dr. Damario looked around for about 3 minutes before confirming miscarriage will be happening and giving me my options to proceed with the miscarriage. He diagnosed me with a “blighted ovum” at 6.5wks, which I have read should never be diagnosed before wk 9. I also had a visible yolk sac, which I also understand does not meet the definition for blighted ovum. Here I am at 9.6wks and still have not miscarried (will likely still miscarry), but have chosen to follow up with further ultrasounds at a different clinic with a new provider.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Do your research about your own situation and possible IVF protocols before meeting with Dr. Damario so you are prepared to ask specific questions & get the answers you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all. His nurses were always the ones in contact with me about my progress and with orders for stimulation dosage changes. Dr. Damario would not have been to recognize me in the waiting room or recall my name at any point, even once completed with treatment.
Describe the protocols Mark Damario used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
- Birthcontrol for downregulation 6 weeks prior to treatment start - Lupron 20IU for further downregulation for 10 days - Lupron decreased to 5IU from day 3-5 of stimulation, then stopped -Stimulation Start: Menopur 150IU morning & Follistim 150IU for 14 days (Follistim bumped up to 300IU after day 3 d/t slow ovarian response/possible over sensitivity to Lupron) - Trigger Shot: 10,000IU Novarel (HCG) injection 36 hours before transfer * my body was downregulated significantly prior to treatment start, which required doubling the dose of the follistim and added an extra 2-4 days of stimulation before trigger shot. I also had two lead follicles and was told of a potential risk for cycle cancelation * I had 16 follicles, but only 14 eggs retrieved. 8 eggs were mature and all 8 fertilized with ICSI. No embryos made to blastocyst stage. * we transferred a morula and 8-cell embryo on day 5. All other embryos stopped developing by day 6 and we did not have any leftover to freeze.
Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress, described ultrasounds while doing them, remembered my name and things about me. Julie- great, very kind and personable; remembered my name and things about me. There were other nurses that didn’t even introduce themselves or attempt to build any rapport during the appt at all, were very blunt and jumped to worst case scenario. I don’t know their names because they never said their name.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: - front desk staff friendly and personable - a few nurses were friendly and personable - most of lab staff was nice and efficient (aside from one lab person) Weaknesses: - a few bad nurses that make you feel like a number - care team didn’t seem to take time to understand our situation - we were not given any possible explanation for the underdevelopment of all of our embryos - our miscarriage was diagnosed immediately, and with 100% certainty before taking additional bloodwork or ultrasound to confirm— this seemed very insensitive, considering our entire process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
IVF retrieval/transfer/ICSI- $11,800 Medication- $7000 Monitoring/bloodwork: $2800 Prescreening: $800
Describe Mark Damario's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Colleen Casey did the embryo transfer. She recommended transferring only 1 embryo because the next most developed one was only 8 cells. She told us transferring two could be harmful to the morula which was further developed. We told her we wanted to transfer two anyway and asked for more information on how it could be harmful and she then said that it probably wouldn’t be harmful, but it just wouldn’t be likely to implant. We transferred two and all remaining embryos arrested the next day.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
St. Paul
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Damario] never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened...always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages...The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did.
Dr Demario always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages.
Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something.
He never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened.
2016 we had 3 iui's with follistim, femara, and ovidrel to trigger. 2017 we had 2 ivf cycles (stims, retrieval, icsi, embryo transfer. First round was birth control for initial suppression, then follistim, menopur, endometrin, minivelle patches, hcg injection for trigger. Second round was the same except for increased follistim, coQ10 supplement, and I think we added in microdose Lupron. In 2018 we had 1 FET with the 2 remaining embryos from 2017 round 2, with birth control for initial suppression, estradiol tablets, and PIO injections.
The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did. They were also always willing to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strength - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
I believe our reimbursement for the ART side of the first cycle was $9870. That does not include any bloodwork, monitoring appointments, or medication. The reimbursement we got the 2nd time was slightly higher due to needing embryo cryopreservation.
We only ever got grade 3 embryos. When we arrived at our FET in January 2018 he encouraged us to consider transferring 2 which would increase the chance of 1 sticking.
St. Paul
We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He [Dr. Mark Damario] basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
For us, it was a blessing that our insurance had us switch clinics. This clinic was not the place for us. We do have friends that liked this clinic and Dr Darmario and had success here.
I felt like we had no direction in where to go with our treatments. We filled out a questionnaire and basically when we met with Dr. Damario he just read it back to us. My husband and I walked out of the clinic wondering if we should even continue. This clinic is where our insurance sent us first. Thankfully before we go fully into our treatment we were able to switch clinic and doctor. This was a night and day difference for us.
We did IUI because I had unexplained infertility and felt like it would work for us. Really with my age, we should of went straight to IVF and skipped IUI. Now it's clear to me why I was a great candidate for IVF, and not IUI. But this wasn't explained to me at this clinic.
The nursing staff was nice. When I was at this clinic they didn't have an online portal where you could easily ask questions. I found that very frustrating and a little old school to not be able to email a nurse with a simple question.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
We did not do IVF with this clinic.
St. Paul
Dr. Damario personally meets with you to explain your treatment options...From my first time meeting Dr. Damario, I knew he was a caring doctor. Compared to my first doctor, he is much more hands on with my care. I have seen him more in my one IUI cycle than I saw my other doctor in my 4 IUI's. Dr. Damario takes the time to explain things to you to make sure you understand the course of action. I highly recommend him...For my one IUI cycle with Dr. Damario, we used Gonal-F (150 IU) and then Ovidril. We decided to go with this route because this is what worked in my last IUI which resulted in my son with a different doctor. This worked again as I got pregnant right away and we found out it was twins. Unfortunately, we lost the twins at 8 weeks gestation.
Make sure you ask lots of questions.
Dr. Damario personally meets with you to explain your treatment options. Then when you do your first pregnancy ultrasound, he is the one who does it (NOT a nurse).
I have had mostly wonderful experiences with the nursing staff. They are kind and understanding. The only big hurdle I've run into was getting approval from my new insurance this year and having the nurses send in the proper paperwork for approval in a timely manner. Other than that, all previous interactions have been very good.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths are that they will see you on the weekend so no time is wasted with waiting extra days. However, if you are at the St. Paul clinic, you will need to go to Minneapolis for your weekend appointments. Dr. Damario is great and the nursing staff are also mostly great. You just have to stay on top of them to ensure they are sending in proper insurance paperwork in a timely manner. Weakness is that they only see you for certain procedures during the weekend. So if your baseline ultrasound ends up happening on a weekend, they will prefer you do it during a week day.
I'm covered by insurance so I have a $30 co-pay almost every time I go in. I am unsure what the other costs are.
St. Paul
Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs.... At CRM you only meet the doctor once, then you see nurses for the testing and treatment. Our appointment with Dr. DeMario went well. He was knowledge and obviously has a lot of experience. I didn't feel a strong personal connection with him, but I do feel good about his expertise.... I took clomid to stimulate egg growth
Take things one step at a time.
Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs. The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.
I took clomid to stimulate egg growth followed by two days on vaginal estrogen to help thicken the uteran lining. I then took a "trigger shot" to stimulate ovulation. Two days later, we did the IUI followed by two weeks of vaginal progesterone.
It really depends on the nurse.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are high end and very professional. There are many clients so care is not super personal, but you know that they know what they're doing. I am not sure if we may get a second opinion but for now I am comfortable working with the Center for Reproductive Medicine.
$2,000 for one cycle of IUI
St. Paul
DeMario did 2 FET's for us. Used the same protocol that Dr. Malo established for us 2 years earlier. Didn't change anything regardless of test results...He never remembered any details about my case. It seems like he didn't even review my file before any meeting. Consistently asked the same questions over and over...He is not compassionate, he doesn't see you as a person. Doesn't remember anything from prior meetings. Generally seems confused. Very frustrating for someone who is in a vulnerable position. I had no choice but to use him as my prior RE at the clinic retired. Total difference of night and day between DeMario and Malo. Dr Malo always knew where I was at and what my history was. Made me feel like a patient and not a payment, which is how I feel when I see DeMario.
Go to the Minneapolis clinic and see a different RE in the CRM clinic.
Jan has been there forever and is excellent; caring, compassionate, hard working, remembers you as a person.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Feel like cattle. So many women processed through on any given morning. Care is not personalized.
Quite expensive compared to national averages. Higher success rates though. FET $5k (plus meds).
2012 - 2013
I only met him twice. He seemed super cautious in his treatment protocol...Lots and lots of letrozole with and without IUI. I never had a positive pregnancy test....People [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] were nice but it wasn't clear they knew me or remembered my treatment plan.
2012 - 2013
I only met him twice. He seemed super cautious in his treatment protocol.
Be your own advocate.
People were nice but it wasn't clear they knew me or remembered my treatment plan.
The nurses would come in with the wrong charts, not have the treatment plan. I had to remind them of the current protocol and tell them the plans we had discussed in the previous appointment. It was a little scary.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Disorganized, shabby, charged for parking and they had a rude receptionist.
Minneapolis