Not available by email
FellowshipEmory
991 Sibley Memorial Highway
St. Paul, MN 55118
651-379-3110
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mark Damario to a friend?

6.3

3.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Mark Damario] was very clinical, but I preferred that as we are pursuing our second child, I just wanted to see progress and results. He was very detail oriented and required all the tests in order to determine diagnosis. He also is very good at explaining procedures and reasoning.... Our first round of IUI, I did a Clomid, to stimulate follicles. Then a trigger shot of Ovidrel to make sure I ovulated and progesterone vaginal suppositories following the IUI up until my pregnancy test. The suppositories were to help secure the possible pregnancy. This IUI failed. We repeated the same protocol for IUI#2.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
He was very clinical, but I preferred that as we are pursuing our second child, I just wanted to see progress and results. He was very detail oriented and required all the tests in order to determine diagnosis. He also is very good at explaining procedures and reasoning.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Don’t go into it expecting lots of warm and fuzzy conversations. He is focused on the details and every little thing, even things you wouldn’t have thought would matter.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
While he was pretty clinical and blunt (which I preferred) the nurse practitioners were fantastic and relatable.
Describe the protocols Mark Damario used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Our first round of IUI, I did a Clomid, to stimulate follicles. Then a trigger shot of Ovidrel to make sure I ovulated and progesterone vaginal suppositories following the IUI up until my pregnancy test. The suppositories were to help secure the possible pregnancy. This IUI failed. We repeated the same protocol for IUI#2. For the 3rd IUI, we switched to femara, and continued with Ovidrel and Progesterone. Saw better results with more follicles on Femara. IUI failed. We upped my dose of Femara for round 4 of IUI. This IUI is still in progress so we will know in about 2 weeks if it is successful.
The nursing staff is FANTASTIC. They listen to my cry and complain but are so compassionate and understanding. They just want me to feel as comfortable as possible.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are generally very flexible with scheduling, very nice front desk staff, and are very organized. The offices are comfortable and not too clinical feeling. They can sometimes get behind on their schedule but not very often.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
St. Paul

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.

Dr. Damario tried the "usual" protocols with us for our 3 IUIs. We used a frozen sperm sample for one IUI and had a nurse tell me that the sperm count was fairly low, minutes before the IUI rather than actually calling on the day the sample was given.... After 2 failed IUIs, I requested additional testing, which he relented to. These tests gave us some clues regarding our challenges but Dr. Damario was not great at explaining the significance of our results
Dr. Damario started us with the "typical" IUI protocol given our diagnosis of unexplained infertility. After 2 failed IUIs, I requested additional testing, which he relented to. These tests gave us some clues regarding our challenges but Dr. Damario was not great at explaining the significance of our results. We wound up googling for information. We also then found out that there are a number of lifestyle issues that can impact sperm quality, which Dr. Damario never once mentioned. The lack of information was highly disappointing and left us feeling like we had spent thousands of dollars without learning very much. I would not recommend his practice for anyone who wants a proactive, communicative physician.
You have to be your own advocate and invest in a lot of research on your own. He will not push you or advocate for aggressive treatment.
Dr. Damario tried the "usual" protocols with us for our 3 IUIs. We used a frozen sperm sample for one IUI and had a nurse tell me that the sperm count was fairly low, minutes before the IUI rather than actually calling on the day the sample was given. This is one example of several times when the clinic didn't seem to have any sense of urgency or be very proactive about helping my husband and I navigate infertility. It was highly disappointing.
1st IUI: 50 mg Clomid on CD 5-9 with ovidrel trigger; 2nd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole CD 4-8 - ovulated early and cancelled cycle; 3rd IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with frozen sperm sample with very low count and ovidrel trigger; 4th IUI: 100 mg Letrozole with fresh sperm sample with normal count with ovidrel trigger; all cycles were BFN.
Sue was great; most of the other nurses at the St Paul location were not great at communicating. Many couldn't explain the rationale behind changes in protocol; also, nurses couldn't answer a simple question like "on average, what % of sperm don't make it through the freeze-thaw cycle."
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Clinic was located convenient to my home, which is why I initially chose them. Their appointments are generally on time. The billing office wouldn't give us an outright refund for services we paid for OOP after we learned that some of the procedures were covered by our insurance. Instead, they issued a credit and many months later, I still have never received an account balance. To change doctors at this clinic, you literally have to discuss the change with the CEO. The CEO told me that she was really surprised at my requested change and made me feel like I had done something wrong in requesting a change of doctor rather than truly trying to understand how the clinic might improve. It was disappointing.
St. Paul

I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all.... He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once
He did not seem to be aware of what was happening with my care. He couldn’t recognize me and didn’t know my name. He always had his nurse contact me, except once— Dr. Damario called me after my first BHCG to tell me I was pregnant and had “an honest to goodness good pregnancy level.” But two days later, when my BHCG dropped, Dr. Damario had one of the nurses contact me to tell me I was going to miscarry. Dr. Damario miscounted my follicles during my baseline ultrasound. During my ultrasound after miscarriage diagnosis, Dr. Damario looked around for about 3 minutes before confirming miscarriage will be happening and giving me my options to proceed with the miscarriage. He diagnosed me with a “blighted ovum” at 6.5wks, which I have read should never be diagnosed before wk 9. I also had a visible yolk sac, which I also understand does not meet the definition for blighted ovum. Here I am at 9.6wks and still have not miscarried (will likely still miscarry), but have chosen to follow up with further ultrasounds at a different clinic with a new provider.
Do your research about your own situation and possible IVF protocols before meeting with Dr. Damario so you are prepared to ask specific questions & get the answers you need.
I met with Dr. Damario for an initial consultation and then once more two weeks prior to Stimulation start for a baseline ultrasound and trial transfer. During the entire course of IVF treatment, egg retrieval, and transfer I did not see or hear from Dr. Damario at all. His nurses were always the ones in contact with me about my progress and with orders for stimulation dosage changes. Dr. Damario would not have been to recognize me in the waiting room or recall my name at any point, even once completed with treatment.
- Birthcontrol for downregulation 6 weeks prior to treatment start - Lupron 20IU for further downregulation for 10 days - Lupron decreased to 5IU from day 3-5 of stimulation, then stopped -Stimulation Start: Menopur 150IU morning & Follistim 150IU for 14 days (Follistim bumped up to 300IU after day 3 d/t slow ovarian response/possible over sensitivity to Lupron) - Trigger Shot: 10,000IU Novarel (HCG) injection 36 hours before transfer * my body was downregulated significantly prior to treatment start, which required doubling the dose of the follistim and added an extra 2-4 days of stimulation before trigger shot. I also had two lead follicles and was told of a potential risk for cycle cancelation * I had 16 follicles, but only 14 eggs retrieved. 8 eggs were mature and all 8 fertilized with ICSI. No embryos made to blastocyst stage. * we transferred a morula and 8-cell embryo on day 5. All other embryos stopped developing by day 6 and we did not have any leftover to freeze.
Sue was great- explained everything in great detail, kept me informed about my lab work and my progress, described ultrasounds while doing them, remembered my name and things about me. Julie- great, very kind and personable; remembered my name and things about me. There were other nurses that didn’t even introduce themselves or attempt to build any rapport during the appt at all, were very blunt and jumped to worst case scenario. I don’t know their names because they never said their name.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths: - front desk staff friendly and personable - a few nurses were friendly and personable - most of lab staff was nice and efficient (aside from one lab person) Weaknesses: - a few bad nurses that make you feel like a number - care team didn’t seem to take time to understand our situation - we were not given any possible explanation for the underdevelopment of all of our embryos - our miscarriage was diagnosed immediately, and with 100% certainty before taking additional bloodwork or ultrasound to confirm— this seemed very insensitive, considering our entire process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Damario at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
IVF retrieval/transfer/ICSI- $11,800 Medication- $7000 Monitoring/bloodwork: $2800 Prescreening: $800
Describe Mark Damario's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Dr. Colleen Casey did the embryo transfer. She recommended transferring only 1 embryo because the next most developed one was only 8 cells. She told us transferring two could be harmful to the morula which was further developed. We told her we wanted to transfer two anyway and asked for more information on how it could be harmful and she then said that it probably wouldn’t be harmful, but it just wouldn’t be likely to implant. We transferred two and all remaining embryos arrested the next day.
St. Paul

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Damario] never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened...always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages...The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did.
Dr Demario always seemed wishy washy and not assertive enough with his opinion and assessment of the cycle status. I would have preferred someone who was more confident. He also never followed up with me after the 2 miscarriages.
Ask lots of questions if you don't understand something.
He never seemed to study up on the current cycle's prior visits and it felt like we were telling him what happened.
2016 we had 3 iui's with follistim, femara, and ovidrel to trigger. 2017 we had 2 ivf cycles (stims, retrieval, icsi, embryo transfer. First round was birth control for initial suppression, then follistim, menopur, endometrin, minivelle patches, hcg injection for trigger. Second round was the same except for increased follistim, coQ10 supplement, and I think we added in microdose Lupron. In 2018 we had 1 FET with the 2 remaining embryos from 2017 round 2, with birth control for initial suppression, estradiol tablets, and PIO injections.
The nurses showed more compassion following our miscarriages than the dr. did. They were also always willing to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strength - allowing you to do monitoring in St Paul or Minneapolis. Weaknesses - (1) not always giving more than 24 hours notice for the amount you have to prepay per visit, if you don't have insurance. (2) No communication from management to clinic finance person that their contract with health insurance provider was updated and patient wasn't supposed to prepay anything
I believe our reimbursement for the ART side of the first cycle was $9870. That does not include any bloodwork, monitoring appointments, or medication. The reimbursement we got the 2nd time was slightly higher due to needing embryo cryopreservation.
We only ever got grade 3 embryos. When we arrived at our FET in January 2018 he encouraged us to consider transferring 2 which would increase the chance of 1 sticking.
St. Paul

We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He [Dr. Mark Damario] basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
We didn't feel like we had any understanding of our treatment or what they could do for us to help us start a family. He basically read back our questionnaire when we met with him and kept reading and showing us statistics. The statistics were not encouraging at all. We were mostly confused and didn't have any idea what the plan was. He didn't explain chromosomal/genetic testing with us very well, even though I'm over 35 years old. He was big into selling us on buying multiple IVF sessions, but didn't really give us a reason why we would need to do IVF multiple times.
For us, it was a blessing that our insurance had us switch clinics. This clinic was not the place for us. We do have friends that liked this clinic and Dr Darmario and had success here.
I felt like we had no direction in where to go with our treatments. We filled out a questionnaire and basically when we met with Dr. Damario he just read it back to us. My husband and I walked out of the clinic wondering if we should even continue. This clinic is where our insurance sent us first. Thankfully before we go fully into our treatment we were able to switch clinic and doctor. This was a night and day difference for us.
We did IUI because I had unexplained infertility and felt like it would work for us. Really with my age, we should of went straight to IVF and skipped IUI. Now it's clear to me why I was a great candidate for IVF, and not IUI. But this wasn't explained to me at this clinic.
The nursing staff was nice. When I was at this clinic they didn't have an online portal where you could easily ask questions. I found that very frustrating and a little old school to not be able to email a nurse with a simple question.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic had a long waiting period to see a doctor (months). When I had a fail IUI the nurse asked me what I wanted to do next, my answer I don't know, what are my options (cause I honestly didn't know) I said IVF? The nurse goes you need to make an appt with the doctor to discuss that and he is book for weeks. Found that very frustrating to not be able to see a patient in a timely matter especially when everything with this is timely.
We did not do IVF with this clinic.
St. Paul

Dr. Damario personally meets with you to explain your treatment options...From my first time meeting Dr. Damario, I knew he was a caring doctor. Compared to my first doctor, he is much more hands on with my care. I have seen him more in my one IUI cycle than I saw my other doctor in my 4 IUI's. Dr. Damario takes the time to explain things to you to make sure you understand the course of action. I highly recommend him...For my one IUI cycle with Dr. Damario, we used Gonal-F (150 IU) and then Ovidril. We decided to go with this route because this is what worked in my last IUI which resulted in my son with a different doctor. This worked again as I got pregnant right away and we found out it was twins. Unfortunately, we lost the twins at 8 weeks gestation.
Make sure you ask lots of questions.
Dr. Damario personally meets with you to explain your treatment options. Then when you do your first pregnancy ultrasound, he is the one who does it (NOT a nurse).
I have had mostly wonderful experiences with the nursing staff. They are kind and understanding. The only big hurdle I've run into was getting approval from my new insurance this year and having the nurses send in the proper paperwork for approval in a timely manner. Other than that, all previous interactions have been very good.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Strengths are that they will see you on the weekend so no time is wasted with waiting extra days. However, if you are at the St. Paul clinic, you will need to go to Minneapolis for your weekend appointments. Dr. Damario is great and the nursing staff are also mostly great. You just have to stay on top of them to ensure they are sending in proper insurance paperwork in a timely manner. Weakness is that they only see you for certain procedures during the weekend. So if your baseline ultrasound ends up happening on a weekend, they will prefer you do it during a week day.
I'm covered by insurance so I have a $30 co-pay almost every time I go in. I am unsure what the other costs are.
St. Paul
Dr. Damario decided to change my dosages on my meds and add in Ganirelix in hopes that I would produced more mature eggs and prevent any premature ovulation. ... He was very nice and personable and explained everything to my husband and I in great detail. Even though he was quiet I felt like he was to the point and made sure we understood everything. ....
He was a very good doctor. I was scheduled with him after I had to reschedule my appointment from another doctor at the clinic. He was very nice and personable and explained everything to my husband and I in great detail. Even though he was quiet I felt like he was to the point and made sure we understood everything. He took the time to answer all of our questions and address our concerns.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He is quiet but very personable.
Dr. Damario was quiet but explained everything very well. He always answered my questions and never did I feel like I was being a burden to him. He was to the point and never gave any sense of false hope.
My first protocol I was on Lupron, Menopur, and Follistim. After the first retrieval I produced 17 eggs, 10 were mature and 8 fertilized. Unfortunately we were left with no embryos after our genetic testing was done. For my next egg retrieval Dr. Damario decided to change my dosages on my meds and add in Ganirelix in hopes that I would produced more mature eggs and prevent any premature ovulation. At my retrieval we got 15 eggs, 13 were mature and 10 fertilized. After both retrievals and genetic testing we were left with 2 genetically normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The nurses and staff were the ones who I/we dealt with the most. We had the most communication between us and they could not have been more great. They always made sure our questions were answered and our concerns were addressed. Because I live about 2 hours away from them they were always so good about communication and accommodating when needed.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The staff is really there to help you and they want the best outcome for their patients. Never once did they make me feel like I was being a burden and they always answered any questions I had. They were so helpful in so many ways and they really made you feel comfortable and that you mattered. When you're dealing with infertility the last thing you want to feel is as if you're just another number. The staff really treated me well.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
My monitoring appointments were always in the morning as then it gave time for the doctor to review everything and then make any necessary medicine dosage changes or anything like that. It was very much a well-run clinic and never did it feel like you were the next in line.
The costs were broken down into monitoring, procedures, and they gave estimates on what medications and genetic testing would cost. They also had the embryo storage cost information.
We did discuss the risks about transferring 2 vs 1 and ultimately the decision was left up to myself and my husband.
St. Paul

We met our doctor [Dr. Mark Damario] for our initial consultation and then after our ectopic pregnancy for a follow up and to see what our next game plan would be. He explained what our next steps will be cleary.... Letrazole 2.5 mg, ovidrel, and IUI-negative pregnancy results. Letrazole 5 mg, ovidrel, iui- positive pregnancy test that ended up ectopic. Will do the same protocol after a 3 month wait and hsg testing.
St.paul is a small office, but I don't mind that. We met our doctor for our initial consultation and then after our ectopic pregnancy for a follow up and to see what our next game plan would be. He explained what our next steps will be cleary.
You may have to go to their Mpls office for weekend visits or if you need trained techs to do your ultrasounds like I did. It wasn't a big deal for me to do so.
In the middle. We work with mostly nurses after the consultation.
There are many nurses so I feel like i'm always seeing/ meeting a new one but all have been helpful.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It is a small clinic so if more specialized care is needed you will need to go to their Mpls office which is there main location. Clinic in st.paul is smaller, easy to get to, and parking is easy. Mpls office is larger in a shared building with a ramp.
Around $1500 with medications, ultrasounds and IUI.
St. Paul

Caring, compassionate, not in a hurry to get the appointment done. Answers all questions fairly and straightforward. He [Dr. Mark Damario] gets to know your past and takes all details into determining a plan. The only thing I would change is having him more involved in the actual procedures. I feel like the nurses take over more in that sense... I had 2 natural iui with donor sperm. After 2 failed cycles we are to meet with him to decide which route of medicated cycle I would undergo next
Caring, compassionate, not in a hurry to get the appointment done. Answers all questions fairly and straightforward. He gets to know your past and takes all details into determining a plan. The only thing I would change is having him more involved in the actual procedures. I feel like the nurses take over more in that sense.
Ask questions and get to know your current plan and back up plan
He is caring and has a good bedside manner. He speaks facts which I appreciate, but in a easy to understand manner
Quick to get back to you and helpful at answering all questions.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Easy to get to. Has open weekend hours. Detailed handouts on what to do at each point in your cycle. They walk you through who to talk to, numbers to call, what happens at what point in your cycle. It’s helpful because I wouldn’t have even thought about certain things they include in the information I need to know.
Cost of diagnostics, iui procedures, and ultrasounds
St. Paul

Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs.... At CRM you only meet the doctor once, then you see nurses for the testing and treatment. Our appointment with Dr. DeMario went well. He was knowledge and obviously has a lot of experience. I didn't feel a strong personal connection with him, but I do feel good about his expertise.... I took clomid to stimulate egg growth
Take things one step at a time.
Dr. DeMario himself was very kind and gentle but doesn't sugar coat anything. He was up front about success rates and costs. The nurses at the clinic vary in their attitudes - it really depends on who is working when you go in for your appointment.
I took clomid to stimulate egg growth followed by two days on vaginal estrogen to help thicken the uteran lining. I then took a "trigger shot" to stimulate ovulation. Two days later, we did the IUI followed by two weeks of vaginal progesterone.
It really depends on the nurse.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are high end and very professional. There are many clients so care is not super personal, but you know that they know what they're doing. I am not sure if we may get a second opinion but for now I am comfortable working with the Center for Reproductive Medicine.
$2,000 for one cycle of IUI
St. Paul

DeMario did 2 FET's for us. Used the same protocol that Dr. Malo established for us 2 years earlier. Didn't change anything regardless of test results...He never remembered any details about my case. It seems like he didn't even review my file before any meeting. Consistently asked the same questions over and over...He is not compassionate, he doesn't see you as a person. Doesn't remember anything from prior meetings. Generally seems confused. Very frustrating for someone who is in a vulnerable position. I had no choice but to use him as my prior RE at the clinic retired. Total difference of night and day between DeMario and Malo. Dr Malo always knew where I was at and what my history was. Made me feel like a patient and not a payment, which is how I feel when I see DeMario.
Go to the Minneapolis clinic and see a different RE in the CRM clinic.
Jan has been there forever and is excellent; caring, compassionate, hard working, remembers you as a person.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Feel like cattle. So many women processed through on any given morning. Care is not personalized.
Quite expensive compared to national averages. Higher success rates though. FET $5k (plus meds).
St. Paul

Felt he [Dr. Damario] had a good ideas on what to do, but felt like I did have PCOS and no one was addressing that. As a doctor we liked him, he was very straightforward, doesn’t sugar coat anything, but the Minneapolis office left us not trusting the CRM name.... Ask for a detailed plan of your protocol. We never got that. Just named meds that we would use, but not the dose or why.... Only met one of the nurses and she talked a bit about the meds and a schedule and what would happen the day of retrieval.
Felt he had a good ideas on what to do, but felt like I did have PCOS and no one was addressing that. As a doctor we liked him, he was very straightforward, doesn’t sugar coat anything, but the Minneapolis office left us not trusting the CRM name.
Smaller office than the Minneapolis location; felt he knew our story a little better than our previous doctor.
Never given a protocol.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
CRM doesn’t have a clear protocol that they show their patients. I always asked what IVF would look like for us and never was given a clean answer. I think they need to have more protocols written down to show patients during the initial visit.
Did not have any billing issues.
I know that he was okay with twins.

2012 - 2013
I only met him twice. He seemed super cautious in his treatment protocol...Lots and lots of letrozole with and without IUI. I never had a positive pregnancy test....People [at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota] were nice but it wasn't clear they knew me or remembered my treatment plan.
2012 - 2013
I only met him twice. He seemed super cautious in his treatment protocol.
Be your own advocate.
People were nice but it wasn't clear they knew me or remembered my treatment plan.
The nurses would come in with the wrong charts, not have the treatment plan. I had to remind them of the current protocol and tell them the plans we had discussed in the previous appointment. It was a little scary.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Disorganized, shabby, charged for parking and they had a rude receptionist.
Minneapolis