Good

Newton
2014 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02462

2014, Successful
When we did have appointments with [Dr. Hornstein], he went over everything in detail and made us feel positive about our progress. However, when I was diagnosed with severe ovarian hyper stimulation I spoke to almost every doctor in his practice, only speaking to him once when hospitalized for the week.
You definitely had to get to the ultrasound clinic [at Brigham] right when they opened, they were on a first come first serve basis and the waiting room was always full. [Dr. Hornstein's nurse] was very nice, but sometimes a little inpatient relaying the information.
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was very thorough in his testing and in our health history for both my husband and I. We never felt rushed when we had appointments with him, however, he was very hard to get in touch with personally- we spoke mostly to his assigned nurse. I felt like he definitely explained everything to us in a way we could understand, but sometimes the process wasn't always clear to me. I will say, having had 2 prior miscarriages he allowed us to stay on as his patient past the 8 week mark until we felt comfortable being released to our regular OB/GYN, which I was very grateful for.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Write down everything he says, have your questions ready...and make sure you get his nurses direct line for follow up questions. He's very smart and it can sometimes be a little intimidating, but ask your questions until you feel like they were answered in a way you can understand. Also, just know you aren't always going to get him on the phone, so you need to be ok with talking to his assigned nurse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
He was very hard to get a hold of personally, I was always talking to his nurse. When we did sit down with him he had to re-read his notes on our case, as though he was not familiar with it. When we did have appointments with us he went over everything in detail and made us feel positive about our progress. However, when I was diagnosed with severe ovarian hyper stimulation I spoke to almost every doctor in his practice, only speaking to him once when hospitalized for the week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Appel)
I spoke to Barbara the most. I think because they see so many patients that sometimes they forget this is new to us, so they go through the information quickly. She was very nice, but sometimes a little inpatient relaying the information.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
You definitely had to get to the ultrasound clinic right when they opened, they were on a first come first serve basis and the waiting room was always full. They opened very early so it was convenient for traffic and to get to work on time.
Mark Hornstein
Boston

Lots of testing [with Dr. Hornstein]...Has a very specific protocol...BC of my age (36) and my BMI (High) only recommended single embryo. His mentality was age and BMI already made it a high-risk pregnancy for myself and baby. Possible multiples would just add to that risk for both...He listened to my needs, met with me a full hour at my initial consultation, gave realistic expectations, answered all questions thoroughly
Clinic [Brigham & Women's Hospital] was good, in the hospital, so what you'd expect. Ran pretty much on time. Sticks to IVF protocol to a T so a lot of appts. Had to meet w/ a social worker before IVF. Had to meet w/ a high risk OBGYN bc of my BMI, had to meet w/ anesthesiologist before retrieval too. Lots of appts...I spoke to a few different nurses, 1 was exceptional- Zussanah. The others seemed inpatient and annoyed at my questions
How was your experience with Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Thorough, good at explaining details, kind, realistic, gentle. Very knowledgeable, sensitive. Made me feel that every question I asked held importance and never seemed annoyed (I ask a lot of questions)
He is great, if you have any questions at all, ask. He is very patient.
Describe the protocols Mark Hornstein used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
Lots of testing. I had 5 failed IUIs with another Doctor. Has a very specific protocol. On Day 2 of your natural cycle start OTBC for 10 days. Then have ultrasound for baseline, Then start Menopur and Gonal-f for 5 days. Monitor egg development. Take trigger shot w/Lupron. After egg retrieval Start Crinone.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
I spoke to a few different nurses, 1 was exceptional- Zussanah. The others seemed inpatient and annoyed at my questions.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Clinic was good, in the hospital, so what you'd expect. Ran pretty much on time. Sticks to IVF protocol to a T so a lot of appts. Had to meet w/ a social worker before IVF. Had to meet w/ a high risk OBGYN bc of my BMI, had to meet w/ anesthesiologist before retrieval too. Lots of appts.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Hornstein at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
My insurance covered actual IVF. Had co pays every visit and every time blood was drawn, ultrasound.
Describe Mark Hornstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Mark Hornstein