Mark Johnson

Doctor available by emailNurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolTulane
ResidencyTravis AF Base
FellowshipMed Col of Georgia / NIH
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mark Johnson to a friend?
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Johnson was so kind and caring, I would cry at every appointment and he took the time to listen. His approach was positive and warm, he didn't provide any false hope to us when things looked grim. He was accommodating with our schedules for monitoring and the IUIs we did with him.... He did what many people who try to understand infertility but fall short in, he validated everything we were feeling. He took his time explaining every detail with us, which was so important at the beginning of this difficult process.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
He is very kind and compassionate, has a great bedside manner for such a difficult time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Johnson was our first infertility doctor. He treated us like a human, was so patient, kind, and compassionate. He did what many people who try to understand infertility but fall short in, he validated everything we were feeling. He took his time explaining every detail with us, which was so important at the beginning of this difficult process.
Describe the protocols Mark Johnson used in your cycles at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
We did one HSG to ensure my tubes were open due to the fact I have mild endometriosis, three IUI's with Dr. Johnson, and one timed intercourse, because I responded well to clomid and had plenty of follicles being produced. And my husbands semen analysis had good numbers too post wash. However we never got pregnant via IUI's/TI with Dr. Johnson.
At the time the clinic was short staffed on nursing staff, so the nurses were quite busy juggling a lot of moving parts. This ultimately was a reason we decided to seek a second opinion and go with a different clinic. IVF is a very detailed and delicate process that requires a lot of attention and it made me nervous to think Im shelling out a ton of money to possibly fall through the cracks.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
At the time when we were with AARH we were told 3 IUI's and if no success we could move onto IVF. Well three unsuccessful IUI's we sat down to discuss our next steps, we were quoted a $30,000 price tag without medications. We were not surprised by this and willing to still pursue treatment with the clinic. However we were told we would need to wait an additional three months prior to starting a cycle due to staffing issues. I work as a nurse, I am very familiar with staffing issues, it seems a little crazy to give that much money and be told to wait even more after you've been waiting for so long, my patience was growing very thin. Im sure they probably have straightened everything out now considering this was roughly three years ago. Strengths definitely is Dr. Johnson's warm, compassionate bedside manner, this is a hard process to go through and to have someone be kind and understand what youre feeling is truly priceless.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Johnson at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
Luckily all my IUI's were covered by my insurance all I had to pay for was meds think it was like $300 for Clomid and Ovidrel trigger.
Gilbert
He [Dr. Mark Johnson] neglected important blood work for me. He did not test my AMH level, which indicates ovarian reserve. I spent several months in his care never knowing that my ovarian reserve was low. I didn't find out until I moved states and switched doctors...He seemed to understate our fertility diagnosis. On our first visit he told us "I see no reason why you won't walk out of here pregnant." ... I think if he's initial work-up had been more thorough we would have had a better understanding of our fertility situation.
Dr. Johnson is an excellent doctor. He is very warm and compassionate. However, I would be reluctant to refer friends to him for two reasons. 1) He neglected important blood work for me. He did not test my AMH level, which indicates ovarian reserve. I spent several months in his care never knowing that my ovarian reserve was low. I didn't find out until I moved states and switched doctors. 2) He seemed to understate our fertility diagnosis. On our first visit he told us "I see no reason why you won't walk out of here pregnant." Well, it's been two years of constant treatments, two different procedures for my husband, and we still aren't pregnant. I think if he's initial work-up had been more thorough we would have had a better understanding of our fertility situation.
Sometimes you may need to steer the conversation to the answers you need. I noticed that he dodges difficult questions with humor at times. For example I asked him why our IUI cycle had failed and he said "well it's dark in there and sperm can't see." This would have been a great opportunity to dig deeper into our sperm quality. He does seem willing to answer questions though, so I would simply recommend being very direct if you are looking for concrete answers.
Dr. Johnson was very caring and took ample time to speak with us. He was our first experience with an infertility doctor and he was very kind and optimistic.
We used clomid at half the standard starting dose for two of my cycles. (I believe it was 25 mg rather than 50mg, but I'm not certain) His rationale was that he wanted to be sure I didn't over stimulate, causing the cycle to be cancelled since he wouldn't perform the IUI if there were more than 2-3 mature follicles. The second round of clomid I only had 1 mature follicle and had cyst during my next baseline after that cycle failed. He switched me to femara and I had a better response and less side effects on that medication.
There seems to be a lot of turn over in the nursing staff. They weren't particularly memorable to me. I do remember some difficulty getting through to them on the phone.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
This clinic cannot process paperwork! The billing department is a nightmare. It is extremely difficult to get a call back from them. I remember that they were understaffed and that much of the billing was falling to one individual who was well-intentioned but under-resourced. I did have to escalate my concerns to a clinic director at one point. I was also still dealing with billing issues many months after leaving the clinic. I did not receive a bill for our initial consultation until nearly one year after the consult occurred. (They told me this was my insurance company's fault, however I've never, ever seen any of my insurance companies take that long to process a claim, so I am doubtful that the insurance was completely to blame.) When you do call the billing department be prepared for very long hold times.
$500 for IUI procedure, $200-300 per ultrasound (two per cycle)
Phoenix (Closed)
2009 - 2011
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I seldom saw Dr. Johnson himself: more often I saw one of his nurses, as they performed nearly all ultrasounds and even the IUIs. When I actually saw Dr. Johnson, he was very kind and knowledgeable and had a good bedside manner... I understand that he and his wife also required IVF to conceive, so I believe that gives him a greater understanding of what his patients are going through.
2009 - 2011
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Mark Johnson at ARMS?
Dr. Johnson is kind and compassionate. He is very smart in an absent-minded professor sort of way. I understand that he and his wife also required IVF to conceive, so I believe that gives him a greater understanding of what his patients are going through.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Johnson at ARMS?
He always runs behind schedule, sometimes significantly so, so plan accordingly
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Johnson at ARMS?
Describe the protocols Mark Johnson used in your cycles at ARMS and their degree of success.
We started with Clomid only, then moved to Clomid plus IUI and added Follistim after two cycles. After six failed treatment cycles, IVF was recommended, but we chose not to move forward with IVF using my eggs because the only explanation Dr. Johnson ever gave for our unexplained infertility was that I must have "old eggs" and because the success rates for women in my age range doing IVF at his clinic were low.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Johnson at ARMS.
I honestly don't remember precisely. I think our insurance paid for a portion of the first three IUIs and then we had to pay out of pocket 100% after that
What specific things went wrong at ARMS?
ARMS
Phoenix
I felt that this doctor [Dr. Johnson] took a personal interest in my case, calling me personally and addressing issues. However this doctor did not display a sense of urgency or timeliness about my treatments, so I eventually left this clinic....I felt like a human when this doctor called me personally...The treatment strategies used were appropriate but they did not take a proactive role in managing our care....
I felt that this doctor took a personal interest in my case, calling me personally and addressing issues. However this doctor did not display a sense of urgency or timeliness about my treatments, so I eventually left this clinic.
Ask for a clear timeline and follow up if they are not making timely progress on your insurance or treatments.
I felt like a human when this doctor called me personally. I did not like when they couldn't make time to schedule my procedures because they did not plan it correctly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Corinne)
My nurse was a clear communicator and answered questions fully.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
This clinic appears at first to give quality service, but on subsequent visits I heard the office staff making derisive comments about clients who were calling in, saying there being irrational or hysterical. This made me trust the clinic less.
The costs of care were approx said to be $17k for IVF.
Scottsdale
Dr. Johnson experienced infertility personally, so he gets it. He was thorough and compassionate, but also realistic. We felt informed and safe. We also liked that Dr. Johnson had us do genetic screening which was useful...Dr. Johnson spent a lot of time consulting with us and learning about our experience with infertility. He was very warm and personable. He was also easy to reach with questions along the way...Be prepared to do the genetic screening- this is important to Dr. Johnson. He really wants a clear picture of your situation before proceeding.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
We did a monitored cycle with femara, then a trigger shot for ovulation followed by IUI. We also discussed moving on to IVF next.
Mostly great. There was one woman who would answer phones who was very rude. But mostly his staff was great and even took calls on the weekends.
Describe your experience with Arizona Associates for Reproductive Health.
Scheduling can be hard, so it's best if you can be flexible about which location you go to.
I think the total cost for one IUI cycle was about $1100
Phoenix (Closed)
Dr Johnson saw me at every appointment (unless it was just blood work) and did all monitoring and procedures. He and his staff new me by name and were interested in getting to know me and my husband. I felt like they truly cared and were personally invested in my success...