Medical SchoolU. of California Irvine
ResidencyUCLA
FellowshipU. of Cincinnati
1263 East Arques Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mark Nixon to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
I felt he just went through the protocol of my statistics based on my age and the procedures that would be done. It would have been nice if he tapped into how I was doing emotionally through the natural conceiving process.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I only saw him during my first visit at the initial REI consultation. I felt his communication style was a little awkward as he would throw in jokes that weren't exactly tactful, in short, his bedside manner was less than desirable. He wasn't rude or brash though. I just didn't particularly felt we clicked.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I would go with a different Dr. at the Kaiser REI.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Describe the protocols Mark Nixon used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
The suggested treatment plan was to do three cycles of Chlomid, then two to three cycles of IUI. However, after the first cycle failing, I asked my nurse if I could go straight into IUI. She said yes, which led me to question why I wasn't initially given this option. She just said that based on my age, the Dr. didn't see a need for me to do IUI right away. However, I'm glad I proactively requested an adjustment to my treatment strategy or else I would have "wasted" more time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Marion Colombo)
Marion seemed to be very knowledgeable as she was able to patiently answer all my questions. She was very pleasant during my visits and had a calm demeanor. Although it could have been a more thorough check up if she asked how I was doing physically and emotionally. Since going through these fertility treatments can be frustrating and emotional, it would be nice to be able to see her check in on an emotional level.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Since I was already a Kaiser patient, I thought it was the logical step in going to their REI. It was an easy transition since they already had my information and other lab work results. The front desk people were always pleasant as well. I would suggest that if your insurance doesn't cover the expenses from the Kaiser REI, you should also explore other clinics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
So far I've spent about $1,500.
2009 - 2014
When I had trouble conceiving, Dr. Nixon didn't take things seriously and didn't seem to care that it was going to take another couple of months to conceive. For my first child, it took >1 year to conceive, and we spent a lot of extra money that we shouldn't have had to spend....I saw all of the Nurse Practitioners throughout my time at this facility. They're the ones who do all of the IUIs, sonograms, write prescriptions, etc. In general, they're high quality!
2009 - 2014
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
1st pregnancy: 3 cycles plain IUI, 3 cycles Clomid + IUI, 2 cycles Femara + IUI, 1 cycle Menopur + IUI (success) 2nd pregnancy: 2 cycles Menopur + IUI (first unsuccessful; second resulted in a multiple pregnancy)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic was not very flexible and responsive to LGBT patients' needs. Sometimes I'd get a call that I'd need to bring in "my husband's sperm" for washing and preparation by 8am in the morning, even when I'd clarified with the lab technician that I could bring the pre-washed donor sperm 30 minutes before the appointment. I suspect that part of the lack of initial success was due to the clinic thawing the frozen sperm hours before my appointment, losing precious viability of the sperm.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
He [Dr Mark Nixon] is not that hands on. Does the initial assessments but then hands of to the nurse practitioners which was fine with me as they were really, really good...Very gentle and caring old school doctor. Treated me with dignity and respect. Set realistic expectations but at the same time gave me hope. Was willing to start with low intervention treatment despite my AMA.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He is not that hands on. Does the initial assessments but then hands of to the nurse practitioners which was fine with me as they were really, really good.
Very efficient yet caring staff. Dr and nurse practitioners were fantastic- everything explained very clearly and realistically. Very empathetic.
Clomid Femara Trigger shot Iui
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Carla Schouten and Marian Colombo)
High volume clinic but they handle appointments and advice very efficiently. Nursing staff are top notch.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Very organized and efficient. Start the process soon - wait list for IVF. Their success rates are high.
Very low cost under Kaiser insurance. Minor copays. Labs covered. IVF would have been 20,000 for one cycle.?
PCOS, Immunological
Dr. Nixon was very clear and wrote very detailed directions on what needed to be done and what was going to be happening.
PCOS, Immunological
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I was so nervous leading up to the appointment. I don't know why because my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for 4 years. Within the first 5 minutes I knew that I was in good hands and my butterflies went away. He was very clear and wrote very detailed directions on what needed to be done and what was going to be happening. He assured me that I would be taken care of and to email him with any questions even if it wasn't related to fertility. Without any lab tests or ultrasounds he diagnosed me with what he thought I had then sent me on my way with a list of tests. He was dead on! Right away I was put on medication that helped me. I couldn't be more happy with the clinic and the care I have received. And would recommend him highly.
Ask a lot of questions because you wont get this kind of time with a Doctor ever again. He spent 60 minutes with me and my husband.
2011
3 IUI, IVF
[Dr. Nixon was] very impersonal. Felt like the doctor was very arrogant about his own achievement. Did not do the correct diagnosis...Everything at Kaiser is done and handled by nursing staff. You are not really assigned one specific nurse. So it is difficult to create any bonding with any of them. Since fertility treatment is such a sentimental journey for all the patient. I really felt let down at Kaiser.
2011
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Very impersonal. Felt like the doctor was very arrogant about his own achievement. Did not do the correct diagnosis.
The explanation was not done correctly neither was the diagnosis.
I felt like all the treatments were done by the nurses. Nothing special that the doctor did.
2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
He [Dr. Nixon] explained things and seemed hopeful in the beginning. Once we realized my husband was the main issue then I felt ditched and that they had given up wanted to do everything to help. We were referred to another Dr and I didn't hear from him again...He starts from least invasive and works his way up...He was kind and explained most things well...Be pushy and make sure you don't fall through the cracks
2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He explained things and seemed hopeful in the beginning. Once we realized my husband was the main issue then I felt ditched and that they had given up wanted to do everything to help. We were referred to another Dr and I didn't hear from him again.
Be pushy and make sure you don't fall through the cracks
He was kind and explained most things well
He starts from least invasive and works his way up.
They were always rushing and seemed like they were annoyed often
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Lots of waiting and the place was always crowded. The front staff is nice but often rushed.
My insurance covered most appointments. The next steps would have been very expensive and out of pocket and we just go further due to not having the funds.
Describe Mark Nixon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
2012 - 2015
He [Dr. Nixon] talks a lot. He is very open to what your needs are. my partner was very anti fertility [treatment] and refused to have sperm [analysis] the first year. Dr Nixon was patient and worked with us on our level.
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He talks alot. He is very open to what your needs are. my partner was very anti fertility tratment and refused to have sperm anaylsis the first year. dr nixon was patient and worked with us on our level.
max cycles on clomid, 3-4 cycles of femara, max cycles of menopur. some cycle of menopur with femara. we only did timed intercourse and iui under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: carla and marion)
carla and marion are the NPs i tried to have appointments with because they are so good. the MA francis is awful and rude.
Sunnyvale
He [Dr. Nixon] was not very through and after 4 unsuccessful IUI he didn’t change the treatment and made no suggestion for IVF. He didn’t respond quickly and was just awkward around him. After 6IUI And no communication from him I switched Dr’s and set up a IVF consultant.... It’s a long process and the appointments for consults and procedures are booked far out. Once you do get an appointment, be flexible because you will have a lot of ulstrasound appointments. I hope your job is flexible!
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was not very through and after 4 unsuccessful IUI he didn’t change the treatment and made no suggestion for IVF. He didn’t respond quickly and was just awkward around him. After 6IUI And no communication from him I switched Dr’s and set up a IVF consultant.
Don’t do it, find another doctor.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Be patient. It’s a long process and the appointments for consults and procedures are booked far out. Once you do get an appointment, be flexible because you will have a lot of ulstrasound appointments. I hope your job is flexible!