6.8

U. of Cincinnati

Mark Nixon works at

1263 East Arques Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085

The one time I visited in person with Dr. Nixon he was sensitive and walked through our options. I didn't rate him completely positively because it felt like he wasn't listening to me and what I already knew and wanted to know. He spoke to us as if we didn't know anything about the process yet, even though we did. ... I went in with specific things I wanted to try and I felt like I really had to push for them and that he wasn't listening to me.
The clinic [Kaiser] is fine. I don't think my husband particularly liked the area where he provided the semen sample. The staff were helpful enough. It was a pretty standard clinic though. Sometimes appointment availability was a challenge. ... Lorraine Gyor [nurse] was very helpful. She explained everything very well, was very compassionate, and was responsive to my questions.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I went to see Dr. Nixon after having been trying naturally for a while. I had already done rounds of fertility medications and over a year of acupuncture. I felt like he explained the cycle and the process of getting pregnant naturally, which I was already very aware of. I went in with specific things I wanted to try and I felt like I really had to push for them and that he wasn't listening to me. But he's a nice guy. Seems caring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Stick up for yourself. If you already know what you want to do going in, make sure you advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Describe the protocols Mark Nixon used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
We started with the typical bloodwork. I already had done a lot of diagnostic work and 3 rounds of clomid. We skipped straight to IUI with letrozole, HCG trigger shot (make sure I ovulated), and an ultrasound (make sure follicles were good and ready).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Lorraine Gyor)
Lorraine Gyor was very helpful. She explained everything very well, was very compassionate, and was responsive to my questions.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic is fine. I don't think my husband particularly liked the area where he provided the semen sample. The staff were helpful enough. It was a pretty standard clinic though. Sometimes appointment availability was a challenge.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
IUI - $343 New patient visit - $340 HSG - $253
Describe Mark Nixon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
[Dr. Mark Nixon is] warm but didn't seem to consider my particular situation or priorities much...He was encouraging in that he thought I could eventually get pregnant from lower-intervention methods but didn't consider what my timelines and goals and urgencies might otherwise suggest...he immediately diagnosed me with something that turned out to not be an issue at all and miscounted my follicles...
It was hard to get a response from [Dr. Mark Nixon] because Kaiser encourages you to reach out to the nurse practitioners instead...You have to be willing to advocate for yourself and know what your priorities are. Come prepared with questions written down...Nurses were very kind and compassionate. The continuity of care isn't fantastic but it's definitely "good enough"--when I was there, you saw one of two NPs for most of your appointments and they were both really friendly but didn't always have the background from previous appointments.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He's warm but didn't seem to consider my particular situation or priorities much. It was hard to get a response from him because Kaiser encourages you to reach out to the nurse practitioners instead. He was encouraging in that he thought I could eventually get pregnant from lower-intervention methods but didn't consider what my timelines and goals and urgencies might otherwise suggest.
He took a lot of time to talk to us and answer questions, but he immediately diagnosed me with something that turned out to not be an issue at all and miscounted my follicles.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Nurses were very kind and compassionate. The continuity of care isn't fantastic but it's definitely "good enough"--when I was there, you saw one of two NPs for most of your appointments and they were both really friendly but didn't always have the background from previous appointments. It was one of them who advised me to skip additional IUI treatments and go straight to IVF after I had a serious talk with her about my priorities and timing, and I'll always be grateful!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I'm a big fan of Kaiser and Kaiser's model. It's in their best interest to create healthy moms and babies. Downside is that you often spend a lot of time on less invasive fertility methods, when time may be a bigger factor for you (with work or whatever other priorities) than it is for them. This can be emotionally exhausting and requires you to be a stronger advocate for particular treatments. Driving time is significant because you have to go to different facilities for different treatments (and they are not nearby one another). Doctors and nurses are fairly fluid so while the overall care is excellent, you often retell your story to different people at every visit, which can be frustrating. Clinic is very, very organized and well-run!
Because I didn't proceed to IVF at Kaiser, everything was covered under my plan.
Sunnyvale

He [Dr. Nixon] was not very through and after 4 unsuccessful IUI he didn’t change the treatment and made no suggestion for IVF. He didn’t respond quickly and was just awkward around him. After 6IUI And no communication from him I switched Dr’s and set up a IVF consultant.... It’s a long process and the appointments for consults and procedures are booked far out. Once you do get an appointment, be flexible because you will have a lot of ulstrasound appointments. I hope your job is flexible!
It’s a long process and the appointments for consults and procedures are booked far out. Once you do get an appointment [Kaiser Permanente NorCal], be flexible because you will have a lot of ulstrasound appointments. I hope your job is flexible!... He [Dr. Nixon] was not very through and after 4 unsuccessful IUI he didn’t change the treatment and made no suggestion for IVF. He didn’t respond quickly and was just awkward around him. After 6IUI And no communication from him I switched Dr’s and set up a IVF consultant.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
He was not very through and after 4 unsuccessful IUI he didn’t change the treatment and made no suggestion for IVF. He didn’t respond quickly and was just awkward around him. After 6IUI And no communication from him I switched Dr’s and set up a IVF consultant.
Don’t do it, find another doctor.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Be patient. It’s a long process and the appointments for consults and procedures are booked far out. Once you do get an appointment, be flexible because you will have a lot of ulstrasound appointments. I hope your job is flexible!

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I felt he just went through the protocol of my statistics based on my age and the procedures that would be done. It would have been nice if he tapped into how I was doing emotionally through the natural conceiving process.
Marion [nurse at Kaiser] seemed to be very knowledgeable as she was able to patiently answer all my questions. She was very pleasant during my visits and had a calm demeanor. Although it could have been a more thorough check up if she asked how I was doing physically and emotionally. Since going through these fertility treatments can be frustrating and emotional, it would be nice to be able to see her check in on an emotional level....Since I was already a Kaiser patient, I thought it was the logical step in going to their REI. It was an easy transition since they already had my information and other lab work results. The front desk people were always pleasant as well. I would suggest that if your insurance doesn't cover the expenses from the Kaiser REI, you should also explore other clinics.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I only saw him during my first visit at the initial REI consultation. I felt his communication style was a little awkward as he would throw in jokes that weren't exactly tactful, in short, his bedside manner was less than desirable. He wasn't rude or brash though. I just didn't particularly felt we clicked.
I would go with a different Dr. at the Kaiser REI.
The suggested treatment plan was to do three cycles of Chlomid, then two to three cycles of IUI. However, after the first cycle failing, I asked my nurse if I could go straight into IUI. She said yes, which led me to question why I wasn't initially given this option. She just said that based on my age, the Dr. didn't see a need for me to do IUI right away. However, I'm glad I proactively requested an adjustment to my treatment strategy or else I would have "wasted" more time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Marion Colombo)
Marion seemed to be very knowledgeable as she was able to patiently answer all my questions. She was very pleasant during my visits and had a calm demeanor. Although it could have been a more thorough check up if she asked how I was doing physically and emotionally. Since going through these fertility treatments can be frustrating and emotional, it would be nice to be able to see her check in on an emotional level.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
So far I've spent about $1,500.

2009 - 2014, Successful
When I had trouble conceiving, Dr. Nixon didn't take things seriously and didn't seem to care that it was going to take another couple of months to conceive. For my first child, it took >1 year to conceive, and we spent a lot of extra money that we shouldn't have had to spend....I saw all of the Nurse Practitioners throughout my time at this facility. They're the ones who do all of the IUIs, sonograms, write prescriptions, etc. In general, they're high quality!
The clinic [Kasier Permanente of Northern California] was not very flexible and responsive to LGBT patients' needs. Sometimes I'd get a call that I'd need to bring in "my husband's sperm" for washing and preparation by 8am in the morning, even when I'd clarified with the lab technician that I could bring the pre-washed donor sperm 30 minutes before the appointment. I suspect that part of the lack of initial success was due to the clinic thawing the frozen sperm hours before my appointment, losing precious viability of the sperm.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
1st pregnancy: 3 cycles plain IUI, 3 cycles Clomid + IUI, 2 cycles Femara + IUI, 1 cycle Menopur + IUI (success) 2nd pregnancy: 2 cycles Menopur + IUI (first unsuccessful; second resulted in a multiple pregnancy)
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The clinic was not very flexible and responsive to LGBT patients' needs. Sometimes I'd get a call that I'd need to bring in "my husband's sperm" for washing and preparation by 8am in the morning, even when I'd clarified with the lab technician that I could bring the pre-washed donor sperm 30 minutes before the appointment. I suspect that part of the lack of initial success was due to the clinic thawing the frozen sperm hours before my appointment, losing precious viability of the sperm.

2011, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Nixon was] very impersonal. Felt like the doctor was very arrogant about his own achievement. Did not do the correct diagnosis...Everything at Kaiser is done and handled by nursing staff. You are not really assigned one specific nurse. So it is difficult to create any bonding with any of them. Since fertility treatment is such a sentimental journey for all the patient. I really felt let down at Kaiser.
How was your experience with Mark Nixon at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Very impersonal. Felt like the doctor was very arrogant about his own achievement. Did not do the correct diagnosis.
The explanation was not done correctly neither was the diagnosis.
I felt like all the treatments were done by the nurses. Nothing special that the doctor did.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.