7.3

Mark Payson works at

8010 Towers Crescent Drive
Vienna, VA 22182
571-789-2100

Dr. Payson was on top of every detail during the treatment, he was always empathic and realistic. Protocols were designed according to my needs and age...When I finally got pregnant after my first set of IVF, I had a miscarriage...he designed a plan to continue the treatment. Thanks to all his guidance and work, I was able to get pregnant again and give birth to a healthy baby in my forties.
CCRM Staff, nurses, surgery team and embryologists are very professional and well organized. They cared about us in every step during the treatment...One of the best things is the training they make you take before starting any treatment...very responsive when using the Patient portal, but it is impossible to contact them by phone...when the clinic was crowded they usually let you know the waiting times...
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson is dedicated and knowledgeable. I trust him because he was very realistic during the treatments. He will always look optimistic even though something did not give the final result (i.e. viable embryo). When I finally got pregnant after my first set of IVF, I had a miscarriage, but Dr. Payson saw the good things and he designed a plan to continue the treatment. Thanks to all his guidance and work, I was able to get pregnant again and give birth to a healthy baby in my forties.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
As a Patient, you have to be on top of your treatment, diet, daily routine, meds and what your insurance covers. There is some work in the hands of the patient and a successful treatments depends on it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson was on top of every detail during the treatment, he was always empathic and realistic. Protocols were designed according to my needs and age. He was always above and beyond to ensure successful IVF cycles. As a result, the treatments were very efficient for a woman in her forties.
Describe the protocols Mark Payson used in your cycles at CCRM Northern Virginia and their degree of success.
The protocols designed for me included growth hormone to improve the quality of my eggs. For each IVF cycle, I was able to produce between 12 and 20 eggs, and between 8 and 12 resulted fertilized.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
One of the best things is the training they make you take before starting any treatment. The nurses and coordinators are very responsive when using the Patient portal, but it is impossible to contact them by phone. Before starting a fertility treatment make sure to investigate what is covered by your Health Insurance, at least you will know what things you will have to pay from your pocket.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM Northern Virginia.
Monitoring appointments were performed in the mornings, that time was very convenient for me to be at the office on time. Drawing the blood and ultrasounds took about 30 mins or less; when the clinic was crowded they usually let you know the waiting times. They use an advanced equipment for ultrasounds and surgeries. The operating room is pristine and the clinic is warm in general.

2021, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Payson] demonstrated a complete lack of initiative to find out why I was having trouble conceiving and ovulating...It was not until after three unsuccessful timed intercourse cycles that Dr. Payson even bothered to get back in touch with me to discuss the cycles and next steps...he said there was no way I had PCOS because I am thin and do not exhibit the typical outward traits...He simply said that the next step was IVF or I could continue timed intercourse if I wanted...It ultimately turns out that I do have PCOS.
CCRM in general seem to be a fertility mill cycling as many patients in as possible. The wait times were exorbitantly long and it always felt like the staff were just rushing from one person to the next...trying to have my records sent to my new doctor was a complete nightmare. I submitted the paperwork through the patient portal as requested and it required me to call at least four times for the paperwork to be sent over. The receptionist acted as if I was bothering her by making this request since she had other work to do. The records that were sent were a total mess, in no sort of order, and over 100 documents long.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
I originally contacted Dr. Payson because I thought I might not be ovulating after 4 months of trying to get pregnant and I wanted to confirm whether I was or not. After an initial consult, Dr. Payson had me come in for bloodwork and immediately jumped into a timed intercourse cycle with no search for whether I had been ovulating or not and if not, what might be causing it. It was not until after three unsuccessful timed intercourse cycles that Dr. Payson even bothered to get back in touch with me to discuss the cycles and next steps. During this time I had been doing my own research and, after my third unsuccessful cycle, sought out a second and third opinion. Both the second and third opinion doctors thought it was highly likely that I might have PCOS given my clear lack of natural ovulation and polycystic ovaries. When I asked Dr. Payson about PCOS during our consult after my three failed cycles, he said there was no way I had PCOS because I am thin and do not exhibit the typical outward traits. He simply said that the next step was IVF or I could continue timed intercourse if I wanted. He demonstrated a complete lack of initiative to find out why I was having trouble conceiving and ovulating. It ultimately turns out that I do have PCOS. Luckily my new doctor insisted on finding out if there were any diagnosable reasons for my infertility and lack of ovulation before proceeding. Besides fertility, PCOS can have ramifications for life, including potential diabetes. It was also peace of mind to know that there may be a cause and that potential lifestyle changes could help a bit (even if not substantially, being empowered with that information made the process much smoother). There is another fairly common reason for infertility and lack of ovulation (I cannot remember what it is called) that a simple blood test can determine. If someone has this, a procedure is required to fix it or no fertility treatment will be successful. My new doctor discovered in all of the records sent over from CCRM that this simple test was never completed for me so we needed to interrupt my current fertility cycle to test for it. Luckily I was negative. However, just knowing that likely or simple to fix issues were causing my infertility but that Dr. Payson never tested for them or even considered them was completely infuriating. During my timed intercourse cycle, there was never any explanation of what exactly was going on, never any adjustments of the medicines that were prescribed, or anything else. In addition to my initial consult, my new doctor has already called me four times (not during scheduled appointments but to provide information, check-in, let me know what the next steps are and why she prescribed certain medications). I am still in the middle of a cycle with my new doctor but I feel like a human with her and like a valued patient. I appreciated that she was willing to look deeply into what was the cause of my infertility because the answer could affect treatment and also my life in general.
Avoid CCRM at all costs. I know there are many positive reviews and I'm sure that patients who have a successful outcome are likely to rate a doctor and clinic highly and the reverse as well. However, I have still not had a positive outcome at my new clinic and it is still considerably better. Go to CCRM if you have an easily-diagnosed infertility issue, or are trying to conceive with a donor. Do not go there if you would like any inquiry into your infertility or any explanations along the way.
Dr. Payson and CCRM in general seem to be a fertility mill cycling as many patients in as possible. The wait times were exorbitantly long and it always felt like the staff were just rushing from one person to the next.
For all three cycles of timed intercourse, I was prescribed 5mg of Letrozole daily for 5 days, was then seen for bloodwork and ultrasounds every few days, and then prescribed Ovidrel for my trigger shot. During one of my cycles, my follicles failed to grow to the needed size so the 5mg of Letrozole was prescribed for an additional five days. The medication dosages were never altered nor was any rational for using them (vs any other medications or lower or higher dosages) used. Similarly with timed intercourse, no other options were discussed until after three failed cycles at which time IVF was recommended, although additional cycles of timed intercourse were not ruled out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Emily)
Emily was fantastic to work with and honestly, the only bright spot at CCRM. However, it felt like ALL of the communication, information, direction, follow-up was on her shoulders rather than Dr. Payson ever interacting with me during the cycle. The phlebotomist was always friendly and a welcome face and the ultrasound techs were always nice.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
I honestly cannot think of a strength of this clinic. The wait times are exorbitantly long (trust me, I've now been to two other clinics, one of which is large and one small) and the times are miniscule compared to CCRM. The disorganization here is just insane. When I first started at CCRM (I should have paid attention to my gut then), I needed to come in for two tests. I worked with a nurse to schedule the appointment and then came in, without a full bladder as instructed, at the appointed time. My bloodwork was taken but then it turned out that I had been instructed to make an appointment at the wrong day of my cycle and without a full bladder (when it needed to be full) so they could not do the other test that day. I rescheduled the test for the correct date. I came in as scheduled with a full bladder and then waited for over an hour during which time I needed to urinate badly. The staff were astonished that I was instructed to have a full bladder because the procedure actually requires an empty bladder. As I said, I should have known then..... I had undergone genetic testing by my primary gyno before I started with CCRM. It turns out that I am the carrier of a fairly scary genetic disorder. Therefore, my boyfriend and I wanted him to be tested for this specific genetic deficiency. I had provided CCRM with all of the associated paperwork so that they could test my boyfriend. He had checked with his insurance and they would cover him for the deficiency I am a carrier of. He went to CCRM and had his bloodwork taken (for the genetic deficiency and a few other things) and, as I'm sure you can guess by the above information, they forgot to draw blood to test him for the genetic deficiency. He then had to go back to have his blood re-drawn. Luckily, it turned out he was not a carrier for the deficiency so we were in the clear! Fast forward a few months, his insurance denied the claim for the genetic testing and he's been arguing this with them since then. Fast forward a few more months, I started seeing a new doctor at a new practice and had my records sent over (that is another story of its own). It turns out that CCRM tested my boyfriend for THE WRONG genetic deficiency. This means that we do not actually know whether he is a carrier of the same deficiency as me. This is also why his insurance denied the claim - because there was zero reason to test for this genetic deficiency. Finally, trying to have my records sent to my new doctor was a complete nightmare. I submitted the paperwork through the patient portal as requested and it required me to call at least four times for the paperwork to be sent over. The receptionist acted as if I was bothering her by making this request since she had other work to do. The records that were sent were a total mess, in no sort of order, and over 100 documents long.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia.
With my insurance, timed intercourse was $300 per cycle. This seems reasonable (and I'm sure the costs for it without insurance is substantially more but it is at other clinics as well).

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Payson gets to know all his patients, he knew what my husband and I did, our history, and our plans...We sought fertility treatment after 2 miscarriages and it was found out early on that my husband and I were both carriers for the same genetic disease (Dr. Payson said this is very rare) so he recommended IVF. Although the process took a little time (had to build a probe for our genetic condition prior to retrieval) the staff at CCRM kept in touch throughout the whole process answering all my questions
The [CCRM] nursing staff were great, they would call you with all your medication updates during your stim and make sure they answered any questions and booked your next apts, etc...Most of the time my monitoring apts I was in and out in less than 30 minutes...Strengths: Amazing MDs and Staff, super knowledgable, friendly, advanced for fertility treatment Weakness: When I went to CCRM they only had 2 MDs so occasionally the wait times were a little longer, they just hired 2 additional MDs though so that should help!
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
I can't say enough great things about CCRM and Dr. Payson. We sought fertility treatment after 2 miscarriages and it was found out early on that my husband and I were both carriers for the same genetic disease (Dr. Payson said this is very rare) so he recommended IVF. Although the process took a little time (had to build a probe for our genetic condition prior to retrieval) the staff at CCRM kept in touch throughout the whole process answering all my questions. Dr. Payson is very through and an expert in his field, my husband and I knew we were in great hands and never once questioned anything throughout the IVF process.
If you have questions make sure your ask, Dr. Payson is more than willing to answer, since I am in the medical field I didn't have too many questions and trusted my doctor completely
Priming with BC, Stim: Gonal/Menopur, Suprresion: Cetrotide- 10 days of stim prior to egg retrival
The nursing staff were great, they would call you with all your medication updates during your stim and make sure they answered any questions and booked your next apts, etc.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
Most of the time my monitoring apts I was in and out in less than 30 minutes, occasionally I had to wait a bit longer, first you usually get your blood drawn by Mark who is amazing then you get called back for ultrasound check
Luckily majority of ours was covered by insurance, I do think their prices are higher than other clinics but they have great results
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Northern Virginia.
Only once was a blood work apt forgot to be scheduled during a lining check prior to transfer, after waiting and asking they took me back and apologized.
2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Payson was incredibly candid and kind, and we benefited from his candid opinions and thoughtful care while with CCRM Northern Virginia...He was accessible and supportive...He was patient and kind and answered all of our questions in full...Dr. Payson used a standard antagonist protocol for us, while our previous clinic had recommended a microdose Lupron protocol that did not work well...
The nursing staff [at CCRM Northern Virginia] were great and very responsive — we had absolutely no problems getting timely calls or responses from them. I felt very cared for...The clinic is clean and very nice, and I always felt comfortable there. Their finance department is a little slow but comparable to the experiences I hear for other clinics. The facilities are very nice and Mark the phlebotomist and the front desk staff are absolutely wonderful!....
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson at that point did most of our ultrasounds and all of our procedures. He was accessible and supportive and we benefited greatly from his guidance and confidence that we could conceive. He was patient and kind and answered all of our questions in full. Overall we could not recommend him more highly!
I would say to come prepared with questions to the appointment. We found Dr. Payson to be incredibly knowledgeable and responsive and pretty spot on in his predictions.
Dr. Payson was incredibly candid and kind, and we benefited from his candid opinions and thoughtful care while with CCRM Northern Virginia. We would not have our son if it were not for Dr. Payson.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia.
The nursing staff were great and very responsive — we had absolutely no problems getting timely calls or responses from them. I felt very cared for.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
My insurance only partially covered the cost of treatment, but it was worth it as it lead to our son. I think the costs were in line with or slightly higher than other local clinics.
Describe Mark Payson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Northern Virginia.
I think he preferred eSET but we only had one embryo so I don’t know.
Vienna

Dr. Payson was warm and comforting when my previous doctor had misdiagnosed me with DOR and said I might need donor eggs. He assured me that I could be successful with my own eggs and did his own lab work before saying that. He was very realistic but still optimistic which was very reassuring...During treatments he was always open to suggestions and always explained why or why not my suggestions would work...
I think the quality of doctors, embryologists, labs, and nurses is second to none [at CCRM Northern Virginia]. The cons are that the waits are very long during appointments, sometimes I waited for an hour. Also it’s an expensive clinic, the billing staff is nice but you have to look up on your own to fight with insurance and save yourself more money if that’s possible...The nursing staff was really kind and helpful...they very much preferred doing single embryo transfer
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
I chose Dr. Payson after a failed egg retrieval at another clinic. During my second opinion meeting with him, he came across as very knowledgeable as well as compassionate. I’m glad I moved to his care because my experience with him was excellent. During treatments he was always open to suggestions and always explained why or why not my suggestions would work. I also liked how well he listened to me during all my appointments. Even when he was extremely busy, he made sure he listened to everything my husband and I had to say. His bedside manner was also excellent and I felt genuine compassion during and after my procedures.
If you have questions for him, feel free to ask them and discuss the pros and cons of everything. Sometimes he’s in a hurry but he always makes time to listen.
I did the antagonist protocol with clomid. Fertilization was through ICSI and we PGT tested all the embryos.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Northern Virginia.
The nursing staff was really kind and helpful. They were much better than the nurses at my previous clinic.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
I think the quality of doctors, embryologists, labs, and nurses is second to none. The cons are that the waits are very long during appointments, sometimes I waited for an hour. Also it’s an expensive clinic, the billing staff is nice but you have to look up on your own to fight with insurance and save yourself more money if that’s possible.
After insurance coverage: Around $6000 per retrieval cycle with ICSI and PGT. Around $3000 for transfer cycle.
Dr. Payson made it clear that they very much preferred doing single embryo transfer because of all the risks that were explained to me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Northern Virginia.
There was a confusion with my trigger shot dosage. I was told something on the phone and the paperwork said something else. I called the doctor to confirm the right dosage.
Vienna

He has a great sense of humor the the best bedside manner. I always looked forward to my appointments. ... He really cares about all of his patients and is in your corner. Dr. Payson is a big proponent of single embryo transfer, which was what we wanted anyway. ... I have PCOS and a history of an idiopathic case of Asherman's syndrome. For my retrieval I did the antagonist protocol and over-responded, so he reduced the drugs as we went.
The clinic [CCRM Northern Virginia] has a wonderful atmosphere - it is clean, everyone knows your name somehow, and the staff is all delightful and pleasant. The surgery staff is extremely warm and fun and they made me feel extremely comfortable for my retrieval and transfer. They all work very hard. During Covid, the wait times were a little longer than I would have liked, but I like to think it is because of all the extra precautions they were taking to keep everyone safe! I highly recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson is humble, funny, and a brilliant doctor. He is also realistic and will give you the facts, though I think he tires of my endless demand for statistics. I always feel like I am in very good hands, medically, and he puts up with my endless questions. He always responded to my emails in a timely fashion (with a phone call) and took his time during our consults and phone calls to fully explain everything and answer our questions.
Go to him!
Dr. Payson is the best. He has a great sense of humor the the best bedside manner. I always looked forward to my appointments. He dealt with my ridiculous questions with grace and was always willing to do extra research when I'd email him random articles asking if we should try different things. He really cares about all of his patients and is in your corner. After I had a bad experience at another clinics, we did three consults before choosing Dr. Payson. I felt that he listened the best of the three doctors and seemed to really care and think about my case, rather than jumping into some established protocols to get going.
I have PCOS and a history of an idiopathic case of Asherman's syndrome. For my retrieval I did the antagonist protocol and over-responded, so he reduced the drugs as we went. Because my estrogen was so high, I triggered a day before he might have triggered based on follicle size. He still retrieved a record 64 eggs, 54 of which were mature and 37 of which fertilized. Of those, 23 made it to blast and 13 were genetically normal. For my transfer, which no one ever thought would work since I have such a thin uterine lining, I took 3 estradiol pills per day, one as a suppository. My lining got to 5.5mm if he squinted hard enough. It was a big shock when the pregnancy test came back positive!
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlyn and Alicia)
The nursing staff, and all the staff at CCRM is great. There were a few hiccups before our retrieval with the paperwork - we were using a frozen sperm sample because we were doing FDA testing in case we had to use a gestation carrier, and the nurse originally had our protocol and paperwork specify a fresh sample. This was a little annoying because we had to resign all of the paperwork when I found the errors. Other than that, the nurses are extremely responsive and organized and I appreciate them very much! We were/are also undergoing treatment during Covid, so things were more complicated with people working from home, staffing changes, etc. I thought they did a great job, and continue to do so. They work very hard!
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
The clinic has a wonderful atmosphere - it is clean, everyone knows your name somehow, and the staff is all delightful and pleasant. The surgery staff is extremely warm and fun and they made me feel extremely comfortable for my retrieval and transfer. They all work very hard. During Covid, the wait times were a little longer than I would have liked, but I like to think it is because of all the extra precautions they were taking to keep everyone safe! I highly recommend this clinic.
We are lucky to have really wonderful insurance, so the cost to us is very minimal.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr Payson is VERY conservative and only does single embryo transfers except for extreme cases. ... I switched to Dr Payson after 4 failed IUIs with Letrozole at a different clinic. We quickly decided to do IVF with standard treatment protocols. ... Dr Payson was always the one to call with treatment updates and saw me for all of my ultrasounds through the retrieval. We retrieved 11 eggs, all were mature but unfortunately only 1 made it to Day 6 blastocyst. He is concerned I may have an egg quality issue and we have reviewed changes we may make in future cycles because of this.
The CCRM northern Virginia clinic is clean, quiet, private and comfortable. When you come in for the egg retrieval you have a separate waiting area for privacy and comfort. The desk staff is friendly and accommodating. I have waited longer than expected a few times but was always met with apologies for the inconvenience. ... My nurse, as well as all of the nurses at CCRM, are kind, compassionate and good communicators. They are responsive to calls and will involve the doctor if they are unsure of an answer.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
After switching from another local RE clinic in the northern Virginia area, CCRM and Dr. Payson were a breath of fresh air. The clinic is comfortable, the staff is kind and personal. Dr. Payson is smart, keeps up to date with research, is conservative in his treatment approaches and presents a realistic picture of what to expect. Unlike other area clinics, Dr. Payson was always there for my appointments and treated me kindly and like a person rather than a number.
To bring all the questions you may have, he can sometimes be a bit quick as he is very busy but he will always take the time to answer all of your questions and concerns honestly.
Dr. Payson is kind, knowledgable and understands the sensitivity of his work. He treats patients with respect and like individuals
I switched to Dr Payson after 4 failed IUIs with Letrozole at a different clinic. We quickly decided to do IVF with standard treatment protocols. I did Gonal F and Menopur followed by the addition of Ganirellex. Doses were adjusted as my blood work and ultrasounds showed needing. Dr Payson was always the one to call with treatment updates and saw me for all of my ultrasounds through the retrieval. We retrieved 11 eggs, all were mature but unfortunately only 1 made it to Day 6 blastocyst. He is concerned I may have an egg quality issue and we have reviewed changes we may make in future cycles because of this. We currently have the 1 embryo frozen and will attempt to transfer when deemed safe due to Covid-19.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Alicia )
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
I am a self-pay patient and opted to do the CCRM Assure program which if you meet certain parameters allows you up to 6 retrievals and transfers and holds a money-back guarantee if you do not have a live birth within 2 years. Because of this the cost without medications is 24,500.
Dr Payson is VERY conservative and only does single embryo transfers except for extreme cases. We felt comfortable with this after talking with him and his reasoning (risk of miscarriage, risk of multiples, etc).
Vienna

Dr. Payson, overall, is a very knowledgable doctor. As the director of the practice, you can tell his time is constrained and sometimes rushed. He does a good job of discussing the statistics and potential outcomes of each option. I do think he needs to do a better job of acknowledging all fertility options and not just actively steer people toward the IVF option - the more expensive option. IUI is a totally viable option for some, and a good first-line treatment, he made it seem like a waste of money. Which may be true, but it's worth a shot for couples with unexplained infertility.
CCRM is a good clinic ... They are always busy. ... Kaitlyn was a god-sent. She listened to us and answered all of our questions. She was also very responsive to emails and phone calls, returning them within the same business day. ... Clomid, Trigger, IUI - that's the basic treatment protocol. We were unsuccessful after two attempts. I do think there needs to be more of a debrief and what could be done differently between each cycle. It seemed like a treadmill you just got back on with no conversation about what could be done differently to hopefully get a different outcome.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Let patients be the ultimate decision, provide the information and recommendation. You need to honor the patient's decision.
Dr. Payson does a good job of explaining the statistics and science behind infertility. My many doctors he is rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Katelyn Endicott)
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
CCRM is a good clinic, they are new and use the best technology. They are always busy. I do with this particular clinic posted their success rates, but since they haven't been open for 3 years they don't need to, yet.
IUI - $2,200 per cycle + medicine
Vienna

Dr. Payson would only transfer one genetically normal embryo at a time for me given my age (36). He would not entertain putting in more due to the risk of multiples...took me through a power point from a talk he does on genetic testing's efficacy when I was on the fence about proceeding...he was open to hearing me out about what protocol worked better for me previously and completely switched things up in the second round. From there, we had a very successful retrieval which ultimately resulted in a successful transfer and resulting pregnancy.
I actually enjoyed coming in for monitoring [at CCRM Northern Virginia] because I got to spend time with Mark who did my blood draw every time. He is simply a joy to be around! The front desk staff was always very pleasant and welcoming. The other game changer was Dr. Payson did every single ultrasound and procedure (retrieval and transfer) personally. At my previous clinic, it was whoever was on-call which made me feel like an number and not a patient.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
We came to Dr. Payson almost ready to give up after 3 failed IUIs, and 3 IVF cycles which produced 1 failed transfer at another local clinic. We noticed a huge difference immediately in how we were treated at our consultation- our situation was reviewed and we were given hope that despite our "unexplained" diagnosis and challenges producing quality embryos, Dr. Payson was confident he could get us there, and asked us to "trust his labs". I also appreciated his sense of empathy about how taxing the process can be. Our first round with Dr. Payson produced the worst retrieval we had had yet, but he was open to hearing me out about what protocol worked better for me previously and completely switched things up in the second round. From there, we had a very successful retrieval which ultimately resulted in a successful transfer and resulting pregnancy.
He can be dry and blunt, but he is very smart and provides excellent care. He is not "warm and fuzzy" (or really every laughed at my jokes!), but know going into it that he has your best interests at heart.
The smaller size of CCRM means the care is very personalized- it was easy to get in touch with my nurse, I spoke with embryology directly who answered my millions of questions on fertilization results, and Dr. Payson even took me through a power point from a talk he does on genetic testing's efficacy when I was on the fence about proceeding. I couldn't even get a phone call with my RE at the previous clinic I went to. I also felt like I was Beyonce at my transfer- the surgery facilities are all on-site and private and I felt like everyone was rooting for me-I even got to play my own music! The little things go a long way!
My first protocol was the "modern" shorter protocol used in most common IVF cycles. I had a terrible response. He was open to switching me up to the "old school" Lupron Long protocol which ultimately gave me the results I was looking for. He said he was stumped as to why it worked for me, but I appreciated that he was open to trying it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Jenn )
Very caring and positive. She said I looked fantastic when I came into my transfer :) I could tell she was personally rooting for me. She also understood scheduling challenges I had as well as a delicate situation I had in terms of waiting on transfer results until I was away from my in-laws. She understood the emotional aspects of the process as well. I did sometimes have to ask for dated protocols to use as a reference vs. the instructions given verbally on the phone.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
This was the game changer for me. I actually enjoyed coming in for monitoring because I got to spend time with Mark who did my blood draw every time. He is simply a joy to be around! The front desk staff was always very pleasant and welcoming. The other game changer was Dr. Payson did every single ultrasound and procedure (retrieval and transfer) personally. At my previous clinic, it was whoever was on-call which made me feel like an number and not a patient.
$12,800 out of pocket for an IVF round. There were cheaper "packages" if you agree to buy 3 rounds up front. Not sure what a transfer costs as it was covered by my insurance. They do accept Progyny which is a special supplemental coverage some employers offer (I had to pay out of pocket after my Progyny coverage was exhausted).
Yes, Dr. Payson would only transfer one genetically normal embryo at a time for me given my age (36). He would not entertain putting in more due to the risk of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Northern Virginia.
Only issue I had was when I "graduated" to my OB- CCRM didn't send over my paperwork to them ahead of my 1st OB appointment.
Vienna

He [Dr. Mark Payson] always kept me well informed on the procedures. Realistic expectations were discussed in great detail. He gave the impression that he truly does care. My husband loves him. They would joke around and I think that helped my husband a lot to see the human side of the doc...I was suppressed with birth control for a few weeks, then I started 225 Gonal-f and150 Monupur...22 eggs retrieved, 16 eggs matured, and 9 eggs fertilized.
They [nurses at CCRN Northern Virginia] replied better using the nurses portal. They were very helpful and great on scheduling everything for me. They were amazing get my prescriptions to my pharmacy in a timely manner...When you are inside the clinic they are the most friendly group of people. My husband and I were able to have light hearted conversations with most of the staff. They are not always able to answer the phone so be patient. They will eventually return your call. At first, the wait for returned phone calls rubbed me the wrong way but now I understand that they are really doing their best.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
He always kept me well informed on the procedures. Realistic expectations were discussed in great detail. He gave the impression that he truly does care. My husband loves him. They would joke around and I think that helped my husband a lot to see the human side of the doc.
Relax and know you are in good hands.
He always asked how I was feeling and if I had any concerns. He seemed very genuine for my wellbeing.
I was suppressed with birth control for a few weeks, then I started 225 Gonal-f and150 Monupur. 250 Ganirelex was used for 5 days prior to the trigger shots of Lupron. 22 eggs retrieved, 16 eggs matured, and 9 eggs fertilized.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Northern Virginia.
They replied better using the nurses portal. They were very helpful and great on scheduling everything for me. They were amazing get my prescriptions to my pharmacy in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
My insurance is going to cover $5000 but the rest is out of pocket. Meds were around $7000. $6000 for my husband's semen aspiration. So far, $6000 out of pocket and expecting at least $12000 more out of pocket expenses before I'm done with the first IVF round.
I haven't got there yet.
Vienna

The entire staff [CCRM N. VA] is warm, friendly, and greets me by name at every appointment, even as the center has grown. I have a great deal of trust in them and I feel they're all sincerely committed to the work they do. While their cycle price seems to be higher than many in the area, I appreciated that the entire financial and clinical process was clear and transparent, with zero surprise bills or add-ons.... My particular nurse is warm, compassionate, and always gets back in touch quickly when I contact her.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson can sometimes need a minute to "reset" and remember my exact case when he comes in the exam room, but once he does he's fully engaged and on top of every detail. His initial projections for me were slightly optimistic - it took us two cycles to reach what he hoped to accomplish in the first cycle - but he's been open about his thinking/planning/adjusting for my cycles throughout and willing to take my personal weighing of risks/benefits into account when making decisions about how aggressive to be in the treatment protocols. When I miscarried after my initial transfer he was very empathetic and talked me through all of my options for resolving the pregnancy and how each option might impact the timing and possible success of my next transfer.
Ask questions - he's better at providing information in response to questions than in proactively offering the information. He's always given me full, respectful answers to any question I ask, but if I didn't ask him anything I might know almost nothing about my treatment or what's coming next.
It's important to me to have a full understanding of my treatment and to discuss pros/cons of various protocol choices. Dr. Payson has always been willing to slow down and fully engage in these conversations with me.
I don't remember enough of the terminology to describe the protocols accurately. I know that I did a more classic protocol in prepping for my first egg retrieval and then moved to a protocol more typically used for poor responders for my second retrieval. The second retrieval produced almost twice as many mature eggs as the first.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
My particular nurse is warm, compassionate, and always gets back in touch quickly when I contact her. It's possible I would have fit better with a different nurse - mine tends to be fuzzy on the "why" questions I ask, whereas some of the other nurses who have covered for my primary nurse over vacations have had well-informed answers. Overall, the nursing staff is extraordinarily friendly, cheerful, and warm - the center clearly screens for personality in their interviews.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
The entire staff is warm, friendly, and greets me by name at every appointment, even as the center has grown. I have a great deal of trust in them and I feel they're all sincerely committed to the work they do. While their cycle price seems to be higher than many in the area, I appreciated that the entire financial and clinical process was clear and transparent, with zero surprise bills or add-ons. They told me upfront what their global fee is, what that fee covers, and when it would be due. They base their global fee on the clinical practices they believe lead to the best outcomes, which means I didn't have to debate whether to pay extra for 17 different line items (e.g., ICSI, assisted hatching, pre-implantation testing, etc.). And have I mentioned the friendliness? It's truly almost overwhelming.
I paid out of pocket - zero insurance coverage. The clinic uses a global fee for cash patients. My egg retrieval cycles were approximately $14,000 each. Each transfer was $4,600. My medications (I was a poor responder) ran approximately $6-7000 per cycle.
My doctor (and the practice as a whole) have a very strong preference for eSET. To bypass biopsy/testing or to transfer multiple embryos you need to sign specific consents saying that you're going against their recommendations.
Vienna

If you have a harder case or unique issues I'd really encourage you to seek out a second opinion here. I have felt in very good hands and like this process was made possible for me because of Dr. Payson and CCRM...This is a very anti cookie cutter type clinic. Also when I was initially offered Follistim but found Gonal-F would be cheaper out of pocket the nurse was quick to allow me to change which was nice.
[Costs at CCRM are] around 18k per cycle cost which includes CCS, additional fees for PGD, initial visit and testing around $1,500... I really think this clinic has some great technology and the lab is really amazing. Their CCS program is really great. And the PGD provider they use is very professional and able to work on harder genetic cases...I think since it's a newer clinic there might be a few kinks to work out, we're using a surrogate so some of this is newer to them and us. But I wouldn't make a big deal of this. Everything even if it has taken time and some conversations to figure out is still very much on track.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
I felt in good hands, and very comfortable with Dr. Payson. He clearly explained his plan for me, and put me in touch with very qualified people that could handle my genetic issues. After having a previous bad experience at another clinic, I really felt at ease with Dr. Payson and CCRM. He explained everything very clearly, and it was obvious that he had taken the time to read my lengthy medical history. He also treated me with compassion and tried to make the process as simple as possible.
After a bad first experience at another clinic I was apprehensive going into this visit. But as soon as I met Dr. Payson I felt at ease. He really took the time to go over my medical history, and look into my genetic concerns. He made calls in advance of my visit to find out if/how he'd be able to help me. I felt a great sense of relief after meeting with him, and he took the time to answer all of my questions. Also did a an in-depth review of my medications and cleared each one, while also speaking to past medication use and how long I'd need to wait to start an IVF cycle.
I felt like the protocols were unique to each patient here and my needs were really taken into account. My AMH was a little low so my protocol was 300 Gonal-F, and 200 Menopur per day. I haven't completed my cycle yet, but things were well explained to me, and if things need to be changed protocol wise I'm confident things will be tweeked. This is a very anti cookie cutter type clinic. Also when I was initially offered Follistim but found Gonal-F would be cheaper out of pocket the nurse was quick to allow me to change which was nice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Maureen)
Nurses have been great to work with, they are quick to ask how I'm doing in this process and able to change medications out for cheaper options. Very kind and informative and I've been able to ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
I think since it's a newer clinic there might be a few kinks to work out, we're using a surrogate so some of this is newer to them and us. But I wouldn't make a big deal of this. Everything even if it has taken time and some conversations to figure out is still very much on track. I really think this clinic has some great technology and the lab is really amazing. Their CCS program is really great. And the PGD provider they use is very professional and able to work on harder genetic cases.
eSET is the option here.
2008 - 2012, Successful
He [Dr. Payson] always took the time to answer my questions even though there were a lot of women in the fertility program. He was honest yet optimistic...He was a little dry personality wise, but I felt he still had a good bed side manner. He explained everything, he modified treatment as necessary and it worked. He...seemed very knowledgeable to me. I never felt like he didn't care...Give him a chance even if he comes off a little bit stand off-ish.
it was a unique clinic in that is was run by the military. The clinic had to share spaces with the GYN clinic at Walter Reed so many of the appointments had to be done early in the morning before the routine GYN clinic appointments started. Also they only had 3 or 4 sessions a year so there were always a lot of women to see. It was a little bit assembly line for routine blood draws and stuff and learning to give shots was done as a group. With that said, I never felt like a number. Everyone was professional and caring.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
He was a little dry personality wise, but I felt he still had a good bed side manner. He explained everything, he modified treatment as necessary and it worked. He was the director of the program at Walter Reed and seemed very knowledgeable to me. I never felt like he didn't care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
Give him a chance even if he comes off a little bit stand off-ish.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
He always took the time to answer my questions even though there were a lot of women in the fertility program. He was honest yet optimistic.
Describe the protocols Mark Payson used in your cycles at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and their degree of success.
I really don't remember everything and I did she several doctors.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Nurses were always caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
All monitoring was done early in the morning. First come, first serve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Because I was in the military I only had to pay for the actual embryo/sperm lab related work that was done by the ART institute of Washington. This cost was about $5000 per IVF cycle, plus I had to purchase sperm from an outside clinic for each IUI and IVF cycle. All procedures and Medication was free.
Describe Mark Payson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Because of my age and smaller number of eggs it was recommended we implant 3. I was nervous about that, but the explanation provided seemed reassuring to me.
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
DC
Dr Payson is knowledgeable. He provides thorough explanations. His manner is patient and attentive. I went to him for a consultation and my experience was a very positive one...I froze my eggs five years ago. Based on my testing, Dr Payson recommended trying IVF with my current eggs before using the frozen ones because if the frozen ones were not successful, It would be several months later and the chance of success with my current eggs could be reduced.
The clinic [CCRM] currently does not participate in any insurance plans but likely will in the next few months. The office is very nice. I never waited for more than five minutes for tests or appointments. The staff was incredibly attentive. I felt very well taken care of...Little waiting time, clear explanations...I did not spend much time with the nursing staff but found them compentent and kind....The clinic is in the process of becoming part of insurance networks but was not at the time I went for a consultation.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr Payson is knowledgeable. He provides thorough explanations. His manner is patient and attentive. I went to him for a consultation and my experience was a very positive one. I don’t have any more to say and think it’s very silly that this form requires a minimum number of characters, which I apparently have not reached yet.
Little waiting time, clear explanations, had the doctor’s attention, took time to answer questions
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
The clinic currently does not participate in any insurance plans but likely will in the next few months. The office is very nice. I never waited for more than five minutes for tests or appointments. The staff was incredibly attentive. I felt very well taken care of.
I paid for all appointments and tests out of pocket
Vienna
He [Dr. Mark Payson] is competitive and ambitious in a good way. We were dealing with unexplained infertility. When he reviewed my records from my previous clinic, he honestly told me that he had never seen a protocol like what they had put me on there, and why that protocol concerned him. Every time I went on stims, I responded very quickly in my E2 levels. Dr. Payson diligently monitored me personally to ensure that my levels would be at an appropriate level. He was very good at answering questions, and I always felt like I was in very good hands. Dr. Payson could have done my retrieval on a Monday, but decided that a Sunday retrieval would be in my best interest, so he opened up the clinic just for me on a Sunday morning. Diligent, thoughtful, competent, and kind, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Payson to anyone. You can tell he is someone who really loves his job.
I felt like my care under Dr. Payson at CCRM was incredibly thoughtful and skillful. My nurse gave me her cell phone number and was always happy to answer my questions via text message...Dr. Payson could have done my retrieval on a Monday, but decided that a Sunday retrieval would be in my best interest, so he opened up the clinic just for me on a Sunday morning. Diligent, thoughtful, competent, and kind, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Payson to anyone. You can tell he is someone who really loves his job...He won't give you false hope or tell you things just to make you feel better. I appreciated his candor and honest assessment, but if you need a very, very soft touch, you may find it off-putting.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson is a very skilled doctor. He is competitive and ambitious in a good way. We were dealing with unexplained infertility. When he reviewed my records from my previous clinic, he honestly told me that he had never seen a protocol like what they had put me on there, and why that protocol concerned him. Every time I went on stims, I responded very quickly in my E2 levels. Dr. Payson diligently monitored me personally to ensure that my levels would be at an appropriate level. He was very good at answering questions, and I always felt like I was in very good hands. Dr. Payson could have done my retrieval on a Monday, but decided that a Sunday retrieval would be in my best interest, so he opened up the clinic just for me on a Sunday morning. Diligent, thoughtful, competent, and kind, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Payson to anyone. You can tell he is someone who really loves his job.
I felt like my care under Dr. Payson at CCRM was incredibly thoughtful and skillful. My nurse gave me her cell phone number and was always happy to answer my questions via text message. Dr. Payson really looked at my case as an individual, and was honest but optimistic in his assessment. I went in 4 or 5 days in a row during stims for monitoring and saw Dr. Payson each time because getting my stim dose right was tricky, but he was determined. I felt like he really cared about ensuring our success, but didn't over promise. Ultimately, he opened up the clinic just for me to do a Sunday egg retrieval because he thought that would be in my best interest.
Mark Payson

We didn't have the opportunity to work with him [Dr. Mark Payson] as much as we would have liked because for one he's very busy and then this COVID-19 thing hit... we'll see what happens...He was very thorough and knowledgeable...we weren't very far into any specific process...I believe he treated us more like human beings then potential $$$. I'm looking for a doctor who willing to take a chance with my eggs. If they can't make viable embryos then my husband and I will adopt.
She [nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia - Vienna] left not long after we started. We were assigned another but we haven't had much interaction with her...We didn't have the opportunity to work with him [Dr. Mark Payspn] as much as we would have liked because for one he's very busy and then this COVID-19 thing hit... we'll see what happens...He was very thorough and knowledgeable...we weren't very far into any specific process...I believe he treated us more like human beings then potential $$$. I'm looking for a doctor who willing to take a chance with my eggs. If they can't make viable embryos then my husband and I will adopt.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
We didn't have the opportunity to work with him as much as we would have liked because for one he's very busy and then this COVID-19 thing hit... we'll see what happens. I'm currently looking into a fertility clinic in Barbados.
Do your homework; understand that no matter who your doctor is you may not get the answer or results you want and be ready to spend a lot of money on tests.
It's been a while, however I believe he treated us more like human beings then potential $$$. I'm looking for a doctor who willing to take a chance with my eggs. If they can't make viable embryos then my husband and I will adopt.
He was very thorough and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember)
She left not long after we started. We were assigned another but we haven't had much interaction with her.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
I don't really have anything else to add as we weren't very far into any specific process. I always recommend looking at various reviews before choosing a doctor for a process as intimate as this. Also be sure to have a strong and sympathetic/empathetic support system.

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Payson is not only a very good doctor but also a very nice person. I always have many questions for him in each appointment and Dr. Payson always listens to me and answers every single question. When I am worried about something related to my treatments, he tries to help me feel better...He also remembers my case every time I see him. He is kind and patient.
This [CCRM N. Virginia] clinic is very well organized. The nurses, embryologists, and all the other staff members are very professional and kind. I have always felt that they really want my treatments to be successful...Dr. Payson always listens to me and answers every single question. When I am worried about something related to my treatments, he tries to help me feel better.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson is a nice doctor, so ask him all the questions you have.
Doctor Payson always listens carefully to all my questions. He also remembers my case every time I see him. He is kind and patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia.
My nurse was very organized and answered all my questions very fast.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
This clinic is very well organized. The nurses, embryologists, and all the other staff members are very professional and kind. I have always felt that they really want my treatments to be successful.
2020 - 2021, Successful
Very knowledgeable and thorough. See him at every visit and makes you feel comfortable. Always had a great plan and is very experienced. High recommend Dr. Payson and the CCRM clinic to anyone going through infertility and wanting help...[he] Prefers to transfer single...[new patient advice] Make appts in advance..
[CCRM has a] Great lab and clean office with good location and parking. the phlebotomist is awesome and very uplifting. The office is easily reachable and someone always picks up the phone. I was there when Covid began and they were very agile in working around the new circumstances and had a good process in place for checking Temps and covid tests
Make appts in advance.
Very thorough and caring
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
Great lab and clean office with good location and parking. Mark the phlebotomist is awesome and very uplifting. The office is easily reachable and someone always picks up the phone. I was there when Covid began and they were very agile in working around the new circumstances and had a good process in place for checking Temps and covid tests
Prefers to transfer single