Nurse available by email
Olney, MD 20832
Columbia
5450 Knoll North Drive
Columbia, MD 21045
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mark Payson to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend CCRM Northern Virginia to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.8
Dr. Payson would only transfer one genetically normal embryo at a time for me given my age (36). He would not entertain putting in more due to the risk of multiples...took me through a power point from a talk he does on genetic testing's efficacy when I was on the fence about proceeding...he was open to hearing me out about what protocol worked better for me previously and completely switched things up in the second round. From there, we had a very successful retrieval which ultimately resulted in a successful transfer and resulting pregnancy.
I actually enjoyed coming in for monitoring [at CCRM Northern Virginia] because I got to spend time with Mark who did my blood draw every time. He is simply a joy to be around! The front desk staff was always very pleasant and welcoming. The other game changer was Dr. Payson did every single ultrasound and procedure (retrieval and transfer) personally. At my previous clinic, it was whoever was on-call which made me feel like an number and not a patient.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
We came to Dr. Payson almost ready to give up after 3 failed IUIs, and 3 IVF cycles which produced 1 failed transfer at another local clinic. We noticed a huge difference immediately in how we were treated at our consultation- our situation was reviewed and we were given hope that despite our "unexplained" diagnosis and challenges producing quality embryos, Dr. Payson was confident he could get us there, and asked us to "trust his labs". I also appreciated his sense of empathy about how taxing the process can be. Our first round with Dr. Payson produced the worst retrieval we had had yet, but he was open to hearing me out about what protocol worked better for me previously and completely switched things up in the second round. From there, we had a very successful retrieval which ultimately resulted in a successful transfer and resulting pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
He can be dry and blunt, but he is very smart and provides excellent care. He is not "warm and fuzzy" (or really every laughed at my jokes!), but know going into it that he has your best interests at heart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
The smaller size of CCRM means the care is very personalized- it was easy to get in touch with my nurse, I spoke with embryology directly who answered my millions of questions on fertilization results, and Dr. Payson even took me through a power point from a talk he does on genetic testing's efficacy when I was on the fence about proceeding. I couldn't even get a phone call with my RE at the previous clinic I went to. I also felt like I was Beyonce at my transfer- the surgery facilities are all on-site and private and I felt like everyone was rooting for me-I even got to play my own music! The little things go a long way!
Describe the protocols Mark Payson used in your cycles at CCRM Northern Virginia and their degree of success.
My first protocol was the "modern" shorter protocol used in most common IVF cycles. I had a terrible response. He was open to switching me up to the "old school" Lupron Long protocol which ultimately gave me the results I was looking for. He said he was stumped as to why it worked for me, but I appreciated that he was open to trying it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Jenn )
Very caring and positive. She said I looked fantastic when I came into my transfer :) I could tell she was personally rooting for me. She also understood scheduling challenges I had as well as a delicate situation I had in terms of waiting on transfer results until I was away from my in-laws. She understood the emotional aspects of the process as well. I did sometimes have to ask for dated protocols to use as a reference vs. the instructions given verbally on the phone.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
This was the game changer for me. I actually enjoyed coming in for monitoring because I got to spend time with Mark who did my blood draw every time. He is simply a joy to be around! The front desk staff was always very pleasant and welcoming. The other game changer was Dr. Payson did every single ultrasound and procedure (retrieval and transfer) personally. At my previous clinic, it was whoever was on-call which made me feel like an number and not a patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia.
$12,800 out of pocket for an IVF round. There were cheaper "packages" if you agree to buy 3 rounds up front. Not sure what a transfer costs as it was covered by my insurance. They do accept Progyny which is a special supplemental coverage some employers offer (I had to pay out of pocket after my Progyny coverage was exhausted).
Describe Mark Payson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Northern Virginia.
Yes, Dr. Payson would only transfer one genetically normal embryo at a time for me given my age (36). He would not entertain putting in more due to the risk of multiples.
What specific things went wrong at CCRM Northern Virginia?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia.

The entire staff [CCRM N. VA] is warm, friendly, and greets me by name at every appointment, even as the center has grown. I have a great deal of trust in them and I feel they're all sincerely committed to the work they do. While their cycle price seems to be higher than many in the area, I appreciated that the entire financial and clinical process was clear and transparent, with zero surprise bills or add-ons.... My particular nurse is warm, compassionate, and always gets back in touch quickly when I contact her.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr. Payson can sometimes need a minute to "reset" and remember my exact case when he comes in the exam room, but once he does he's fully engaged and on top of every detail. His initial projections for me were slightly optimistic - it took us two cycles to reach what he hoped to accomplish in the first cycle - but he's been open about his thinking/planning/adjusting for my cycles throughout and willing to take my personal weighing of risks/benefits into account when making decisions about how aggressive to be in the treatment protocols. When I miscarried after my initial transfer he was very empathetic and talked me through all of my options for resolving the pregnancy and how each option might impact the timing and possible success of my next transfer.
Ask questions - he's better at providing information in response to questions than in proactively offering the information. He's always given me full, respectful answers to any question I ask, but if I didn't ask him anything I might know almost nothing about my treatment or what's coming next.
It's important to me to have a full understanding of my treatment and to discuss pros/cons of various protocol choices. Dr. Payson has always been willing to slow down and fully engage in these conversations with me.
I don't remember enough of the terminology to describe the protocols accurately. I know that I did a more classic protocol in prepping for my first egg retrieval and then moved to a protocol more typically used for poor responders for my second retrieval. The second retrieval produced almost twice as many mature eggs as the first.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
My particular nurse is warm, compassionate, and always gets back in touch quickly when I contact her. It's possible I would have fit better with a different nurse - mine tends to be fuzzy on the "why" questions I ask, whereas some of the other nurses who have covered for my primary nurse over vacations have had well-informed answers. Overall, the nursing staff is extraordinarily friendly, cheerful, and warm - the center clearly screens for personality in their interviews.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
The entire staff is warm, friendly, and greets me by name at every appointment, even as the center has grown. I have a great deal of trust in them and I feel they're all sincerely committed to the work they do. While their cycle price seems to be higher than many in the area, I appreciated that the entire financial and clinical process was clear and transparent, with zero surprise bills or add-ons. They told me upfront what their global fee is, what that fee covers, and when it would be due. They base their global fee on the clinical practices they believe lead to the best outcomes, which means I didn't have to debate whether to pay extra for 17 different line items (e.g., ICSI, assisted hatching, pre-implantation testing, etc.). And have I mentioned the friendliness? It's truly almost overwhelming.
I paid out of pocket - zero insurance coverage. The clinic uses a global fee for cash patients. My egg retrieval cycles were approximately $14,000 each. Each transfer was $4,600. My medications (I was a poor responder) ran approximately $6-7000 per cycle.
My doctor (and the practice as a whole) have a very strong preference for eSET. To bypass biopsy/testing or to transfer multiple embryos you need to sign specific consents saying that you're going against their recommendations.
North VA

IVF, Surrogacy
If you have a harder case or unique issues I'd really encourage you to seek out a second opinion here. I have felt in very good hands and like this process was made possible for me because of Dr. Payson and CCRM...This is a very anti cookie cutter type clinic. Also when I was initially offered Follistim but found Gonal-F would be cheaper out of pocket the nurse was quick to allow me to change which was nice.
[Costs at CCRM are] around 18k per cycle cost which includes CCS, additional fees for PGD, initial visit and testing around $1,500... I really think this clinic has some great technology and the lab is really amazing. Their CCS program is really great. And the PGD provider they use is very professional and able to work on harder genetic cases...I think since it's a newer clinic there might be a few kinks to work out, we're using a surrogate so some of this is newer to them and us. But I wouldn't make a big deal of this. Everything even if it has taken time and some conversations to figure out is still very much on track.
IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
I felt in good hands, and very comfortable with Dr. Payson. He clearly explained his plan for me, and put me in touch with very qualified people that could handle my genetic issues. After having a previous bad experience at another clinic, I really felt at ease with Dr. Payson and CCRM. He explained everything very clearly, and it was obvious that he had taken the time to read my lengthy medical history. He also treated me with compassion and tried to make the process as simple as possible.
After a bad first experience at another clinic I was apprehensive going into this visit. But as soon as I met Dr. Payson I felt at ease. He really took the time to go over my medical history, and look into my genetic concerns. He made calls in advance of my visit to find out if/how he'd be able to help me. I felt a great sense of relief after meeting with him, and he took the time to answer all of my questions. Also did a an in-depth review of my medications and cleared each one, while also speaking to past medication use and how long I'd need to wait to start an IVF cycle.
I felt like the protocols were unique to each patient here and my needs were really taken into account. My AMH was a little low so my protocol was 300 Gonal-F, and 200 Menopur per day. I haven't completed my cycle yet, but things were well explained to me, and if things need to be changed protocol wise I'm confident things will be tweeked. This is a very anti cookie cutter type clinic. Also when I was initially offered Follistim but found Gonal-F would be cheaper out of pocket the nurse was quick to allow me to change which was nice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Northern Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Maureen)
Nurses have been great to work with, they are quick to ask how I'm doing in this process and able to change medications out for cheaper options. Very kind and informative and I've been able to ask lots of questions.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
I think since it's a newer clinic there might be a few kinks to work out, we're using a surrogate so some of this is newer to them and us. But I wouldn't make a big deal of this. Everything even if it has taken time and some conversations to figure out is still very much on track. I really think this clinic has some great technology and the lab is really amazing. Their CCS program is really great. And the PGD provider they use is very professional and able to work on harder genetic cases.
eSET is the option here.
What specific things went wrong at CCRM Northern Virginia?

2008 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Payson] always took the time to answer my questions even though there were a lot of women in the fertility program. He was honest yet optimistic...He was a little dry personality wise, but I felt he still had a good bed side manner. He explained everything, he modified treatment as necessary and it worked. He...seemed very knowledgeable to me. I never felt like he didn't care...Give him a chance even if he comes off a little bit stand off-ish.
it was a unique clinic in that is was run by the military. The clinic had to share spaces with the GYN clinic at Walter Reed so many of the appointments had to be done early in the morning before the routine GYN clinic appointments started. Also they only had 3 or 4 sessions a year so there were always a lot of women to see. It was a little bit assembly line for routine blood draws and stuff and learning to give shots was done as a group. With that said, I never felt like a number. Everyone was professional and caring.
2008 - 2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
He was a little dry personality wise, but I felt he still had a good bed side manner. He explained everything, he modified treatment as necessary and it worked. He was the director of the program at Walter Reed and seemed very knowledgeable to me. I never felt like he didn't care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
Give him a chance even if he comes off a little bit stand off-ish.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
He always took the time to answer my questions even though there were a lot of women in the fertility program. He was honest yet optimistic.
Describe the protocols Mark Payson used in your cycles at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and their degree of success.
I really don't remember everything and I did she several doctors.
Nurses were always caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
All monitoring was done early in the morning. First come, first serve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Because I was in the military I only had to pay for the actual embryo/sperm lab related work that was done by the ART institute of Washington. This cost was about $5000 per IVF cycle, plus I had to purchase sperm from an outside clinic for each IUI and IVF cycle. All procedures and Medication was free.
Describe Mark Payson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Because of my age and smaller number of eggs it was recommended we implant 3. I was nervous about that, but the explanation provided seemed reassuring to me.
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
DC
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mark Payson at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
He [Dr. Mark Payson] always kept me well informed on the procedures. Realistic expectations were discussed in great detail. He gave the impression that he truly does care. My husband loves him. They would joke around and I think that helped my husband a lot to see the human side of the doc...I was suppressed with birth control for a few weeks, then I started 225 Gonal-f and150 Monupur...22 eggs retrieved, 16 eggs matured, and 9 eggs fertilized.
They [nurses at CCRN Northern Virginia] replied better using the nurses portal. They were very helpful and great on scheduling everything for me. They were amazing get my prescriptions to my pharmacy in a timely manner...When you are inside the clinic they are the most friendly group of people. My husband and I were able to have light hearted conversations with most of the staff. They are not always able to answer the phone so be patient. They will eventually return your call. At first, the wait for returned phone calls rubbed me the wrong way but now I understand that they are really doing their best.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
He always kept me well informed on the procedures. Realistic expectations were discussed in great detail. He gave the impression that he truly does care. My husband loves him. They would joke around and I think that helped my husband a lot to see the human side of the doc.
Relax and know you are in good hands.
He always asked how I was feeling and if I had any concerns. He seemed very genuine for my wellbeing.
I was suppressed with birth control for a few weeks, then I started 225 Gonal-f and150 Monupur. 250 Ganirelex was used for 5 days prior to the trigger shots of Lupron. 22 eggs retrieved, 16 eggs matured, and 9 eggs fertilized.
They replied better using the nurses portal. They were very helpful and great on scheduling everything for me. They were amazing get my prescriptions to my pharmacy in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
My insurance is going to cover $5000 but the rest is out of pocket. Meds were around $7000. $6000 for my husband's semen aspiration. So far, $6000 out of pocket and expecting at least $12000 more out of pocket expenses before I'm done with the first IVF round.
I haven't got there yet.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Payson is knowledgeable. He provides thorough explanations. His manner is patient and attentive. I went to him for a consultation and my experience was a very positive one...I froze my eggs five years ago. Based on my testing, Dr Payson recommended trying IVF with my current eggs before using the frozen ones because if the frozen ones were not successful, It would be several months later and the chance of success with my current eggs could be reduced.
The clinic [CCRM] currently does not participate in any insurance plans but likely will in the next few months. The office is very nice. I never waited for more than five minutes for tests or appointments. The staff was incredibly attentive. I felt very well taken care of...Little waiting time, clear explanations...I did not spend much time with the nursing staff but found them compentent and kind....The clinic is in the process of becoming part of insurance networks but was not at the time I went for a consultation.
How was your experience with Mark Payson at CCRM Northern Virginia?
Dr Payson is knowledgeable. He provides thorough explanations. His manner is patient and attentive. I went to him for a consultation and my experience was a very positive one. I don’t have any more to say and think it’s very silly that this form requires a minimum number of characters, which I apparently have not reached yet.
Little waiting time, clear explanations, had the doctor’s attention, took time to answer questions
Describe your experience with CCRM Northern Virginia.
The clinic currently does not participate in any insurance plans but likely will in the next few months. The office is very nice. I never waited for more than five minutes for tests or appointments. The staff was incredibly attentive. I felt very well taken care of.
I paid for all appointments and tests out of pocket
North VA