5.4

Cornell

Martha Noel works at

499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158

Dr Noel was very warm during our initial consultation. She also called me personally when we needed to cancel my first IUI cycle because I "over responded" to the Letrazole...I don't think she was aggressive enough in my first set of treatments given my age and how many children I wanted. When I got a second option, the new Dr (who I prefer) told me she never would have started with fertility meds only without including IUI. I also had to cancel a cycle which I disagreed with (and the new Dr did also)
Communication was slow and difficult [at UCSF]. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely...is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr Martha Noel is lovely and great at explaining things but for me she was too conservative/risk averse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Describe the protocols Martha Noel used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
Letrazole 2.5mg for 3 months, then increase Letrazole + IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Communication was slow and difficult. I had to write multiple portal messages to get an answer. When I had to cancel a cycle because of "over responding" to the medication and was asked to take a Plan B (which was devastating), I had to call/write multiple times to get through with advise on what to do and it was timely.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
UCSF CRH is a big practice, associated with a university. They most certainly have quality doctors and nurses but because it was large didn't feel I got the dedicated, close care compared with the new clinic I am at now. For example, the nurse at my new clinic knows me by name and immediately answers my emails.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
1st Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $1800! (through Progyny and I hadn't met my deductible so I paid the crazy insurance rate) 2nd and 3rd Letrazole + TIC w/ monitoring - $450 each b/c I paid out of pocket - basically paid for one ultrasound appointment
Describe Martha Noel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
1) I had a progesterone blood test to confirm ovulation and came back as 0 (did not ovulate) when I know I had. I demanded they run it again and it came back 26 (did ovulate) 2) I've had to call/email to get results of tests and/or inquire about my next protocol 3) I've had to call/email multiple times to get Rx's phoned in
San Francisco
I found Dr. Noel to be very kind and responsive, which was appreciated. I did feel that she formed her treatment plan for me relative to what has been statistically proven for patients my age with my diagnosis. This seemed great at first, but as cycles continued unsuccessfully I felt she was unwilling to pivot and provide me care based on my unique circumstances and condition. It was very frustrating...She responded timely to all my emails and addressed my concerns, although we disagreed on the correct course of action frequently. I did feel she was ultra-conservative in my treatment relative to friends and other women I have spoken to undergoing treatment for similar issues.
Letrozole and timed intercourse [protocol at UCSF]...$489 for ultrasound monitoring appointment...You will rarely see your actual doctor. This was surprising to me, however they do seem to be available over email (at least in my case). I would not necessarily take advice given by the sonographer as in my case it tended to go against what the doctor would have told me...I don't think you can necessarily rely on this clinic to personalize treatment to your specific conditions, so it best to ask for you want and need...Be your own advocate. Do your own research and come prepared with questions.
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
Dr. Noel was kind and nice to work with. She responded timely to all my emails and addressed my concerns, although we disagreed on the correct course of action frequently. I did feel she was ultra-conservative in my treatment relative to friends and other women I have spoken to undergoing treatment for similar issues.
Be your own advocate. Do your own research and come prepared with questions. I don't think you can necessarily rely on this clinic to personalize treatment to your specific conditions, so it best to ask for you want and need.
Letrozole and timed intercourse
No comments
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martha Noel at UCSF.
$489 for ultrasound monitoring appointment
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
San Francisco

[Dr. Martha Noel] She answered all of my questions and is very nice and comforting during the initial consultation. I didn’t feel like I was an exclusive patient of hers. My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses...She suggested I start off with IUI. I did five cycles and all of them failed. We proceeded with ivf and egg retrieval with PGs testing of the embryos
[UCSF] Big clinic in a nice location. They were pretty much on time with my appointments and follow up. You have to pay for parking but I guess that’s normal for the city. The warriors stadium went in next door so expect traffic on game days...My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses...
How was your experience with Martha Noel at UCSF?
She answered all of my questions and is very nice and comforting during the initial consultation. I didn’t feel like I was an exclusive patient of hers. My follow up visits were under the care of multiple other colleagues and nurses. I felt a lot of issues were missed
She’s fully capable of treatment and care, but see if you can request her for all of your procedures
This clinic sees a lot of patients and when I had a miscarriage, she didn’t know about it until a week later
She suggested I start off with IUI. I did five cycles and all of them failed. We proceeded with ivf and egg retrieval with PGs testing of the embryos. I did a fresh transfer and it failed. We were in the middle of going through another round when a different doctor found a hydrosalphinx and I required surgery to remove the tube. I was able to have a successful pregnancy and live birth after that. I feel like they missed hydrosalphinx and I wasted a year of my time and money on IUIs that didn’t work because of the hydrosalphinx.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UCSF.
Nursing staff was always nice