Medical SchoolWayne State
King of Prussia
625 Clark Avenue, Suite 17B
King of Prussia, PA 19406
215.654.1544
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Martin Freedman to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of Philadelphia to a friend?
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
We went to Dr. Freedman based on a recommendation. However, we barely saw him or spoke to him. He put us on some medications and supplements and then we had a retrieval 2 weeks later. Both our retrievals resulted in eggs but they didn't fertilize. However, after the second he said there is nothing he can do for us and we should look at adoption and/or donor eggs. I spoke with other doctors who said that it would take a minimum of three months for the metphormin and supplements to fully make an effect on my body which he didn't give a chance. When we went through the percentages in the beginning it wasn't until the third chance where we would reach a higher percentage chance. We weren't given a proper explanation when we were told this almost a week after our retrieval (the week was the worst). I believe the clinic is more concerned with their national success rates.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
If you prescribe and recommend medication and supplements, give the patients a fair chance in allowing them to work. Also, provide better communication methods if you are not available have another doctor call. Do not leave hopeful patients waiting for over a week to get any answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
we were in and out and although dr freedman and guttman knew us, the rest were nice but were like an assembly line.
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
VERY high dose shots of Gonal F/Follostim with Menopur and then a trigger shot (cetrocide).
Most of the nurses were nice. Jen though was only nice sometimes and not too personable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Communication is not the greatest of strengths which I think is needed when dealing with patients who are going through such a difficult time. The ones who drew blood were nice but I feel that only 1 out of the 5-6 I saw actually knew how to do it without being painful...the rest hurt quite bad each time. the nurse staff with the doctors were pleasant. the call backs were always inconsistent and the information provided sometimes were thorough and sometimes was not. ifeel that they should provide you with the same numbers each time and then when you are on another round, they should give you your previous to compare to versus us trying to keep track of it all.
King of Prussia
At RMA, you are not always treated by the same doctor, although Freedman generally "oversaw" each cycle. Still, he often forgot how many cycles we'd done or which procedures we'd done.... In person, Dr. Freedman is great, answers your questions, and is very calming. However, as questions started to arise, it began to feel as though more information should have been shared and more options discussed. The communication was really our biggest issue, as we never really understood why certain treatments were being administered or what more could have been done.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do your research beforehand and have questions prepared.
At RMA, you are not always treated by the same doctor, although Freedman generally "oversaw" each cycle. Still, he often forgot how many cycles we'd done or which procedures we'd done. We never discussed IUI in detail at first but got the call to "come in for insemination." It felt like there was a lot missing in terms of communication.
We began with Clomid only for a cycle. With the 2nd cycle, IUI was proposed by a nurse over the phone without any explanation or prior conversation. This was alarming since this was our first RE and we had no idea what to expect. We did Letrozole only for the next cycle, then 4 IUIs with Letrozole. On the last IUI, Dr. Freedman added progesterone (without any explanation, but again we didn't know any better amd just went with it). We got pregnant with this last IUI, but miscarried at 7 weeks with an empty gestational sac. I had a D&C, then once my levels returned to normal, we decided to take a break from ttc. Eventually, we decided to go with a new RE who might be more aggressive.
Nurses were average. They didn't really provide any extra information and at times were even too sympathetic. By this I mean that they made us feel terrible coming in after our miscarriage because their demeanor was a little too "sad" rather than helping us to be optimistic (making sad faces, saying "I'm so sorry" repeatedly).
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We really felt like a number there. This is something we've realized more as time goes on, especially with our current RE who is so specific and personal. A strength would be that overall,RMA is very successful. However, this is only true if you have an easily fixable issue. Friends have gotten pregnant there within only a few cycles. But with us, they seemed to just "go through the motions," and when the typical methods didn't work, they went right to IVF as though it was no big deal. Everything seemed "scripted" in a way, without really trying to look for an issue and individualize our care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
We paid a copay each time except for blood only. Billing was the biggest disaster at RMA. we received many bills for hundreds of dollars for procedures that were covered by insurance. I would speak to someone in billing who would tell me they'd "write it off" ( not correct it), only to receive the same bill again. We ultimately left because the billing issues became so stressful. In the end, I resorted to crying to billing personnel on the phone saying that I was forced to leave and figure out something with another clinic because we couldn't continue to accrue unnecessary charges if we weren't even seeing results. The woman's response was to offer a 3 way call with my insurance company to "figure something out." They refused to look into the issue. Later, we received more bills months after leaving... for my D&C no less, which was a painful reminder. Also the bills were in my husband's name this time, for "tramsvaginal ultrasounds." He called and they again "wrote it off."
Describe Martin Freedman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
No comment
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Freedman was totally invested in our success. He seemed to want things to go as well as we did at every stage of the process. He was always professional, super caring, knowledgeable, and always made sure we understood what was going on...Dr Freedman took the time to get to know us personally. He made personal phone calls to us at home, he was always a pleasure to interact with even when the news wasn't good...
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Never be afraid to ask absolutely any questions!
Dr Freedman took the time to get to know us personally. He made personal phone calls to us at home, he was always a pleasure to interact with even when the news wasn't good. We were so inspired we went back with our blessing and a gift for him.
I would have to look back at my notes to remember the protocol. I do remember that after the first failed transfer, he knew exactly what to do. We did a "natural" frozen embryo transfer the second time. Both were single embryo transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
I loved the personable nursing staff as much as I loved Dr. Freedman! After starting most of my days early in the morning in their office, I really appreciated how friendly and kind the nursing staff was.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They can see you very early in the morning, and on the weekends. They also get you in and out as quickly as possible! The weekend office and surgical office is in King of Prussia, which is far for some, but a good excuse to shop afterwards.
They have package offerings for multiple cycles, which was so helpful and they figure out all payment options for you.
He strongly believes in single embryo transfers if at all possible.
Willow Grove
The news we received after the transfer was not what we wanted. However, he [Dr. Freedman] was positive, optimistic and comforting... Not ever pushy... thorough with our first meeting about how the process worked, etc. He was kind... After our last failed transfer, he reached out to me with a plan for going forward that we could discuss when we were ready...We used icsi to fertilize our eggs.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman was thorough with our first meeting about how the process worked, etc. He was kind and comforting and if we visited another doctor and he was unsure with the results or response he would reach out immediately and make any necessary changes. After our last failed transfer, he reached out to me with a plan for going forward that we could discuss when we were ready. Not ever pushy.
Do research before going in to the first appointment. Have questions prepared. Be aware there is no guarantee and that they are providing the best care they can. Ask as many questions as possible whenever feeling uncertain.
The news we received after the transfer was not what we wanted. However, he was positive, optimistic and comforting.
We used icsi to fertilize our eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
I loved the nursing staff! The main nurse I saw was amazing she showed me how to administer what I needed, she was awesome if I called and had a question, they just made a scary experience so comforting.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic was prompt with any questions or anything we needed. The clinic was clean, easily accessible, and timely.
I signed up for an embryo retrieval with icsi along with a fresh and frozen transfer. The cost for these procedures, along with all ultrasounds and blood work, and medicine came to about 17,000.
When I received my fresh and frozen transfer, I was 31. He felt I was young and healthy enough with no reason to transfer more than one egg.
2005 - 2016
In the beginning, I felt like a human and had my son in 2006. The office merged and when I returned for a second child, I felt unheard and more like a number...I enjoyed working with him [Dr. Martin Freedman] in the mid 2000s, unfortunately I feel as though the merger of the practice decreased the quality of care. Dr. Freedman seemed uninteresting in trying to continue to do iui with me and my inability to afford ivf caused a lack of care in my treatment.
2005 - 2016
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
I enjoyed working with him in the mid 2000s, unfortunately I feel as though the merger of the practice decreased the quality of care. Dr. Freedman seemed uninteresting in trying to continue to do iui with me and my inability to afford ivf caused a lack of care in my treatment.
Listen to your heart. If you feel unheard go elsewhere. But, RMA gave me my only miracle and I am forever grateful
2 iui cycles with clomid resulting in live boy birth 2006. 6 iui cycles: 5 with clomid, 1 injections. 1 viAL used each time. No pregnancy. Recommend ivf
The nurses were friendly and good at drawing blood, but phone calls wereally not returned.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: doctors have years of experience and dedication. Weaknesses: lack of communication. RMA is dedicated and committed to helping families with their infertility goals; however I believe they lack in their understanding of the devastating of secondary issues.
1250 for iui each cycle and about 900 for sperms vial
2013 - 2014
He [Dr. Freedman] was very compassionate to our struggle conceiving. When my insurance made it difficult to get the medications I needed they worked with me and gave me samples as they were able. My only qualm was having to travel around to many different offices between working full time.... We did 3 cycles of IUI and they were not successful for me. Then he did an HSG. Around that time my family relocated to another state so we were not able to continue seeing him
2013 - 2014
European, Black or African-American, Middle Eastern, Native American
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
He was very compassionate to our struggle conceiving. When my insurance made it difficult to get the medications I needed they worked with me and gave me samples as they were able. My only qualm was having to travel around to many different offices between working full time.
I remember being especially stressed and crying, and he sat with me.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I just really didn't appreciate all the traveling that I had to do. I chose the location in Langhorne but had to travel to King of Prussia for any procedures. My boss was very supportive of my journey and allowed me to flex my schedule accordingly. However it was just added stress for me.
It was really hard for our family because insurance did not cover any of our treatment. They were willing to work with us on paying for services rendered and also helped us with getting the medications we needed.
Langhorne
I was very likely one of many, many patients he [Dr. Freedman] saw on a regular basis but with each encounter he made me feel like he knew me and he had a personal stake in our dream and our success. He was rooting for me. He personally called me at home the night I finally found out I was pregnant...He was an incredible doctor and empathetic human being. I could not say enough wonderful things about him...
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust him. Ask any question you have to put your mind at ease, but he will provide the best care.
I was very likely one of many, many patients he saw on a regular basis but with each encounter he made me feel like he knew me and he had a personal stake in our dream and our success. He was rooting for me. He personally called me at home the night I finally found out I was pregnant.
The nurses were wonderful. You received a personal call after all labs and provided with the specifics - whether you understood what it meant or not - that was above and beyond. They were compassionate and friendly.