Medical SchoolAmerican U. Of Beirut
Roanoke
3660 Electric Road, Suite D
Roanoke, VA 24018
1800-777-4831
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Marwan Shaykh to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Assisted Fertility Program to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 75%Don't recommend: 25%9
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Shaykh will perform diagnostic test to rule out any uterine and/or male fertility issues before beginning treatment...I had my tubes tied during my previous marriage. I met my husband and we decided to have a baby as he doesn't have any kids. Dr. Shaykh and I decided on IVF due to my age (38 at the time). I was on birth control pills for a month and then took Gonal F mixed with Menopur intramuscularly for 11 days while having my eggs monitored for maturity.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Marwan Shaykh at Assisted Fertility Program?
Dr. Shaykh is not like the other two IVF practices I have encountered that want to start treatment before looking for all possible fertility roadblocks. Dr. Shaykh will perform diagnostic test to rule out any uterine and/or male fertility issues before beginning treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marwan Shaykh at Assisted Fertility Program?
The advice I would give a prospective patient of Dr. Shaykh would be to keep your appointments and follow your treatment calendar to the letter. Many of my friends IVF cycles have failed or we're cancelled because they ignored the doctor's orders. Dr. Shaykh and the nurses take a lot of time planning these cycles and it's just a waste of money and time to ignore the instructions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marwan Shaykh at Assisted Fertility Program?
Dr. Shaykh and his staff treated my husband and I like family. I have checked out other doctors before deciding on a practice to handle my treatment and Dr. Shaykh and his staff were the only practice that didn't treat us like cattle being herded. The waiting room is never over packed and you will be seen in a timely manner.
Describe the protocols Marwan Shaykh used in your cycles at Assisted Fertility Program and their degree of success.
I had my tubes tied during my previous marriage. I met my husband and we decided to have a baby as he doesn't have any kids. Dr. Shaykh and I decided on IVF due to my age (38 at the time). I was on birth control pills for a month and then took Gonal F mixed with Menopur intramuscularly for 11 days while having my eggs monitored for maturity. On the 13th day I took my trigger shot of Pregnyl and that Friday was the egg retrieval. 11 eggs were retrieved, 9 were mature, 9 fertilized. We got three embryos for the fresh transfer and one was frozen. From the fresh transfer, one embryo implanted and resulted in a pregnancy with a healthy baby that ended at 21 weeks due to preterm labor and an incompetent cervix. Dr. Shaykh and his staff were extremely compassionate and assisted with planning the frozen embryo transfer once my husband and I decided we were ready. Three months after our loss, we decided to try again with the frozen embryo. Dr. Shaykh started me on birth control pills and lupron injections. Once I got my period, my lining was checked and my transfer was completed two weeks later. I found out that I was pregnant 5 days after my frozen transfer and scheduled an appointment with an obstetrician. After obtaining a referral from my obstetrician to get a cerclage from a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist and bed rest, I have my beautiful baby girl.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Assisted Fertility Program. (Assigned nurse: I was assigned to Heather and Kim for the first cycle and Tiffany and Kim for the second cycle.)
All of the nurses are awesome and I can't say that enough. They we're wonderful through the entire process and trying again after our loss. We went to visit them with the baby and I didn't hesitate to let Kim hold my baby because they are more like family members than a doctor's staff.
Describe your experience with Assisted Fertility Program.
The clinic's only weakness is they can't show other clinics how to be good to patients. Their strengths are the wonderful doctor, the awesome nurses and the fantastic embryologist. Without this practice, I wouldn't have my daughter. They truly care and they take the time to learn your name and treat you like a human.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marwan Shaykh at Assisted Fertility Program.
I don't remember the cost but we paid for the full cycle which was $6500, $750 for embryo freezing, around $4000 for medication and $2500 for the frozen transfer.
Describe Marwan Shaykh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Assisted Fertility Program.
Dr. Shaykh is really good about following the guidelines for number of embryos transfer according to patient age. He doesn't believe in transferring more embryos than it would take to have a awesome chance at pregnancy.
Jacksonville
Dr. Shaykh was very thorough and very hopeful that we were making the correct treatment scenario. He was very polite and extremely understanding and only wanted the best for us. He was careful to remind of us the many risk and also assured us that the surgery may not be successful. He made sure I was very comfortable before and after surgery. I’ve never been anything but completely pleased with his work.
How was your experience with Marwan Shaykh at Assisted Fertility Program?
Dr. Shaykh was very thorough and very hopeful that we were making the correct treatment scenario. He was very polite and extremely understanding and only wanted the best for us. He was careful to remind of us the many risk and also assured us that the surgery may not be successful. We went out on a leap of faith anyways. He was definitely one of the most affordable Doctors considering the area I come from. He made sure I was very comfortable before and after surgery. I’ve never been anything but completely pleased with his work.
My advice would be to go on with the IVF although it’s a bit pricier the odds are higher in my opinion.
I felt like the care I received during my tubal reversal was top rated. The Doctor, nurses and staff all gave their 110%. After care was excellent and they were very helpful with any questions after the surgery. Although I haven’t been blessed with a baby at this time, my faith hasn’t faded.
I only had a tubal reversal, I did do three cycles of Clomid with no success at this time.
They were all very nice and concerned. They made sure I was comfortable.
Describe your experience with Assisted Fertility Program.
The clinics nurses, office coordinator and staff were all very helpful and clear during the planing and operation. The nurses were so very sincere when the anesthesia wore off. They made complete sure my pain level wasn’t terrible. They gave me my care package and made sure I knew how to care for my wounds. After a week at home I panicked because my sutures were protruding through my skin at the operation site, scared me to death. One call and several pictures to the nurses and I was fine. They were so nice and understanding.
$6,000 for reversal surgery
I’ve never made it thus far
Jacksonville
He [Dr. Shaykh] was good about letting you pick what you felt comfortable with. We transferred two and he made sure we understood risks before signing...He was very professional with us- nothing more, nothing less,...Dr.shaykh always seemed very knowledgeable...Unfortunate the ivf was not successful for us but I would be willing to use him again in the future...I started on birthcontrol to manipulate my hormones. I would take a couple different injectables twice a day leading up to the transfer day.
How was your experience with Marwan Shaykh at Assisted Fertility Program?
My favorite part was the staff. The ivf nurses became very closely involved and always seemed to care. The technology they use is great too. Dr.shaykh always seemed very knowledgeable and professional. His staff were equally good. Unfortunate the ivf was not successful for us but I would be willing to use him again in the future.
Make sure to ask questions. They will answer them and you will feel more comfortable.
He was very professional with us- nothing more, nothing less,
I started on birthcontrol to manipulate my hormones. I would take a couple different injectables twice a day leading up to the transfer day. I then had another one to get in my hip right before egg retraction day, we had a day 3 transfer. We then took a blood test to confirm pregnancy after 10 days or so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Assisted Fertility Program. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim was very caring and great at communicating with me daily, she always responded to anything I sent nearly immediately. She also remembered me two years later when I contacted the office.
Describe your experience with Assisted Fertility Program.
They have up to date equipment and the facility is nice. He will travel to Salem VA for those who need to start their treatment there. Each of them had staff who were very pleasant to work with. I always felt comfortable in the office.
He was affordable compared to other fertility doctors.
He was good about letting you pick what you felt comfortable with. We transferred two and he made sure we understood risks before signing.
What specific things went wrong at Assisted Fertility Program?