Palo Alto Medical Foundation

Medical SchoolS. Illinois U.
ResidencyWash U. St. Louis
FellowshipHarvard
540 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301
2581 Samaritan Drive
San Jose, CA 95124
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mary Abusief to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Palo Alto Medical Foundation to a friend?
We loved working with Dr. Abusief. The only downside is that since it's a large practice there were appointments where I saw one of her colleagues instead. She did not perform my egg retrievals or transfers because she was not "on-call" that day. She took over as the medical director and seemed stretched a little thin. I would have liked it more if there were less doctors involved and I was able to work with Dr. Abusief more exclusively.... She called me personally to check on me when I was diagnosed with a chemical pregnancy and took time to check in with me when I came in just for labs.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Be prepared for the fact that even if you like her a lot, you may not enjoy her colleagues as much and will often be in their direct care instead of hers. Although she was my primary RE, I was seen by many other doctors during my cycles with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
She takes a lot of time with her clients and is very warm and personable. She is incredibly intelligent and up to date, but communicates her knowledge in a way that is not intimidating. She called me personally to check on me when I was diagnosed with a chemical pregnancy and took time to check in with me when I came in just for labs.
Describe the protocols Mary Abusief used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
It was my first IVF cycle and we used a standard long-lupron down regulation protocol. They retrieved 9 eggs, however only 6 were mature. No human growth hormone was used, just the lupron, gonal-f, and menopur. She stated that she started me on a higher dose of gonadotropins due to my low AMH, however I've always had an even higher dose with subsequent cycles with other doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy was in touch with me constantly during my cycle and extremely helpful. For my second cycle I was assigned a different nurse. I don't remember much about her.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
This clinic's strength is that the doctors meet daily for rounds so everyone is up to date on all of the patients who are in-cycle. The weakness is that there are so many doctors involved that you will likely be seen by multiple different doctors over the course of several days and may receive different information. One doctor I met with had incredibly awful bedside manner and I refused to be seen by him again, which meant that I had to drive to another clinic to see a different doctor. The clinic I primary visited was very private and peaceful, however some of the clinics that I had to drive to for my appointments were located inside of a larger medical facility. I had to sit in a waiting room that was shared with regular OBGYN patients who were pregnant- not great when you are going through fertility treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I bought a package through ARC that covered one retrieval and fresh transfer and one frozen transfer. The package was around $12-13,000 and did not cover ICSI or more than a set number of ultrasounds in a cycle. I paid extra for needing extra monitoring appointments as well as a whole lot of blood work, ultrasounds, and endometrial pipelle procedure for a chemical pregnancy.
Describe Mary Abusief's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
They will only transfer 2 embryos if you use day 3 embryos for my age bracket (Under 30). If you are using day 5 embryos, they will only transfer 1.
16 Eggs Frozen
I felt they [Dr Abusief and team] were professional and the actual surgical experience was amazing. Best procedure I ever had- I was alone, going through a divorce and a scary procedure with no one there for me. but I had a heated bed, kind words etc. It was great.
16 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
I felt they were professional and the actual surgical experience was amazing. Best procedure I ever had- I was alone, going through a divorce and a scary procedure with no one there for me. but I had a heated bed, kind words etc. It was great.
The desk staff and phone systems are a huge labyrinth of confusion. Just persevere and you will get through.
While they were very respectful kind and gentle, ultimately they refused to help me conceive until my divorce was complete because their lawyers advised them that the law was murky. My divorce is now approaching 2 years in limbo and I'm am just waiting to use my frozen eggs. It would have been much easier to use sperm but now I'm over 40 and clock is ticking away- all because of lawyers and a stupid law that says it's husbands kid even if biology proves it's someone else's sperm. dumb. not a humane choice.
Both were to freeze eggs: First Cycle which only yielded 4 frozen eggs lupron 10 then Gonal F300 +minopur then HCG trigger Second Cycle yielded 12 frozen eggs: GonalF300 + minopur+dexameth pill Ganriliex HCG trigger
Compassionate. the main scheduling nurse was v. organized and clear. Also the PAMF clinic on fertility treatments SC injection was excellent
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
The clinic is fine. They were less hard to get an appointment for then some others in the area. Since they are now part of PAMF it was sometimes hard to figure who to talk to for what (billing etc).
I was self pay. The fees are pretty set and standard. The fee for the full egg retrieval process was about 10K plus I had insurance for the drugs part so I'm not sure how much that was.
Palo Alto - University
PAMF Infertility Group is a collection of REIs, so expect to see her [Dr. Mary Abusief's] colleagues along the way. The good news is that you have many people thinking about your case, the bad news is that you won't see her every time...very kind and compassionate. She even called me the night that my fresh transfer did not work to make sure that we had a plan I felt comfortable with going forward. She goes above and beyond.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Abusief was very kind and compassionate. She even called me the night that my fresh transfer did not work to make sure that we had a plan I felt comfortable with going forward. She goes above and beyond.
PAMF Infertility Group is a collection of REIs, so expect to see her colleagues along the way. The good news is that you have many people thinking about your case, the bad news is that you won't see her every time. I didn't mind because I understand that she has a family too and cannot be there every day.
Very compassionate and warm.
Don't remember the details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I think this is hit or miss. I had two coordinators. The first was not so good and not communicating well - hard to ask questions when I needed it. The second was much better and more responsive.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Expect to see multiple providers - not just your primary REI. My first coordinator was not that good. Second was much better. Sometimes hard to get on the calendar and have to push to move forward. Also I found the billing department confusing.
Covered by insurance, except meds.
PAMF's primary goal is a single healthy delivery as this is the healthiest for baby and mommy. I did only single embryo transfers.
Fremont
2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
My husband and I move 2 hours away and still chose to see her while struggling with infertility....I would recommend her over any other doctor in the area.... Dr. Abusief is very thorough away makes sure to lay out all of your options as well as advise of any supplements or medication that you may need. I appreciate that she isn't judgmental and never makes you feel uncomfortable.
2012
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Abusief has been a part of our fertility journey for about 5 years. From the first moment I met her, she was warm, caring, understanding, and reassuring. My husband and I move 2 hours away and still chose to see her while struggling with infertility. Dr. Abusief is very thorough away makes sure to lay out all of your options as well as advise of any supplements or medication that you may need. I appreciate that she isn't judgmental and never makes you feel uncomfortable. I'm obese, but I'm healthy and have gained weight because of hormone imbalances and she has always made me feel very comfortable and laid out all of my options from the beginning. I would recommend her over any other doctor in the area.
Know that she will always have a plan and your best interest at heart.
Dr. Abusief has always been very compassionate and even after not seeing me for 3 years knew exactly who we were and what we needed to do. She cares about the patients and making them parents and that's what's important.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
The Dr [Abusief] has great bedside manner and seems to care for her patients. She's a good first RE for couples new to fertility clinics as she is very good at sympathizing with you. At times I felt my underlying issues weren't consider in deciding on a protocol and that the team was taking more of a blanket approach to my care.... [Eset Approach] The office has a policy to only transfer one but on occasion they may make an exception but it had to be a team decision.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
The Dr has great bedside manner and seems to care for her patients. She's a good first RE for couples new to fertility clinics as she is very good at sympathizing with you. At times I felt my underlying issues weren't consider in deciding on a protocol and that the team was taking more of a blanket approach to my care.
Get a consultation but also speak with 1-2 other clinics before jumping in as it's hard to jump ship later on.
The Dr is very warm, thoughtful and engaging.
Good group, kind and follow up as they say they will.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Staff are great, and it's easy to get last-minute appointments. You often need to remind staff of existing conditions to make sure a procedure or medication won't interfere. It would be nice to be able to access the IVF coordinators directly but currently you have to go through the phone operators and leave a message.
$16,000 fresh IVF with ICSI, $5000 for medications $1500 for IUI (I think)
Palo Alto - University
[Dr. Abusief] Did nothing for me except take my money. Spend thousands over the months and got no answers or success. Treatment never changed and was never taken further.... They don’t complete a full work up to find the infertility issue causing you to not get pregnant. I spent months going here with no results and lots of money spent. Went to a new clinic tests ran. Diagnosis made. One cycle and boom.
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Did nothing for me except take my money. Spend thousands over the months and got no answers or success. Treatment never changed and was never taken further. Had to seek another clinic who ran tests that were supposedly already done that gave me answers and ultimately led to the co caption of my daughter.
Find a better doctor
No results or direction.
Ok
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
They don’t complete a full work up to find the infertility issue causing you to not get pregnant. I spent months going here with no results and lots of money spent. Went to a new clinic tests ran. Diagnosis made. One cycle and boom. Pregnant and went full term. Don’t go the this clinic. Got to RSC Soo much better in all aspects.
Expensive
2010 - 2013
She's great. Felt like a personal, caring environment
2010 - 2013
She's great. Felt like a personal, caring environment
None
Genuinely liked the people at the office, felt supported
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
There was still a lot of responsibility I felt that i had to own as a patient
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Small clinic with major hospital affiliation
As expected and covered by insurance
2012 - 2013
She is incredibly warm, empathetic, sensitive, and listened to our concerns. She answered our questions with patience and care....Excellent physician and excellent bedside manner...You found the right person. Be grateful to be getting excellent care.
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Mary Abusief at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Excellent physician and excellent bedside manner.
You found the right person. Be grateful to be getting excellent care.
I don't feel comfortable sharing this here.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Shawnda)
Shawnda was awesome. Organized, sensitive, encouraging. Even humorous at times when we invited her humor. Very respectful and hopeful for us.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Very well run clinic. Honest practice.