Reproductive Specialists of New York

Nurse available by emailDoctor available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolSUNY
ResidencySUNY
FellowshipSUNY
16 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11241
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mary Bray to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 72%Neutral: 28%9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Specialists of New York to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
She [Dr. Mary Bray] is not against doing two embryos (although she makes it clear she prefers one) and allows the couple to choose a single or double embryo transfer...She is willing to schedule around my work (I'm a teacher), my husband (who travels a lot), and saw me as many times as I requested during my IVF monitoring...knows me. I walk in and she is ready to talk about me, my questions, my stats, my possibilities.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Mary Bray at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Dr. Bray is a very experienced and passionate doctor. She has been around the fertility scene for a long time and knows a lot about...well everything from insurance to OBGYNs. She does have a very distinctive mannerism (which for me worked great) - she is blunt, likes to talk about statistics/studies/insurance and does not give a "oh, you'll have a baby!" talk. What she does really well is give you facts and science and then makes an educated guess about what will statistically happen. After all my diagnostic testing was done as well as the SA on my husband she looked at everything and told us our next steps, how likely they were to be successful, etc. She was also attentive to my needs outside of fertility (such as a running injury that was making PIO injections really painful -she found an alternative). Overall, I have really appreciated Dr. Bray's honesty and outlook. Also, because it is an outshoot office of the main Long Island (Mineola) clinic, there is a smaller and more family feel. Any time during my IVF monitoring that I wanted to see Dr. Bray I did. That means a lot to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Bray at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Don't worry if she seems to get distracted by insurance policies - she has your back and knows your case. She'll also complain a LOT about the computer system but in the end she is kind, caring, and very good.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Bray at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Dr. Bray knows me. I walk in and she is ready to talk about me, my questions, my stats, my possibilities. She is blunt - which I so appreciate. I cannot handle false hope. Instead she says, "here are the stats about where you are and where you might go". She is willing to schedule around my work (I'm a teacher), my husband (who travels a lot), and saw me as many times as I requested during my IVF monitoring.
Describe the protocols Mary Bray used in your cycles at Reproductive Specialists of New York and their degree of success.
First we did a diagnostic testing cycle. Then three cycles of clomid/timing. Since our biggest problem is male factor, her rationale for clomid/timing was if we have 2-3 eggs rather than 1 there is a better chance of a sperm getting to something. Then we did three IUIs with clomid. Then we moved onto IVF with ICSI. We had to do a freeze all cycle because our embryos were sluggish and not ready by day 5. In the end this was good because I was close to OHSS and it allowed my hormones and ovaries a chance to cool off a bit. We did a FET in my next cycle (I had some uterine lining trouble so she switched my estradiol from oral to vaginal and that did the trick!). I was also having a lot of pain with my PIO injections due to a running injury. That FET turned out unsuccessful. We took a two month break and went into our next FET. She allowed me to do a natural cycle (I really wanted to try to go with my body's natural rhythm). I ran back into the uterine lining problems so she easily switched me post-ovulation to doing medicine. She switched my progesterone to vaginal suppositories to avoid the pain of the PIO on my injured hip and that helped a lot! She had be do Estradiol vaginally again and that with the progesterone got my lining nice and thick. We transferred one embryo (our last) and we got pregnant. It split into identical twins but very late (around 6 weeks) and something must have gone wrong with the split because both babies stopped growing and we miscarried. Dr. Bray was so kind and supportive and gave me a choice about going into a new cycle or taking a break. I decided to take a break and just try naturally. So, 6 months later I'm back with her and ready for a new IVF round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of New York. (Assigned nurse: Elena)
Elena is GOOD at her job. She is sort of the team captain on the ground and is in charge of all medication ordering, patient coordinating, calls, etc. She is really blunt and can sometimes seem cold but when you need her to be there and supportive for you she shows up emotionally. She has calmed me down and encouraged me on numerous occasions when I needed a little extra attention. But usually it's business as usual (which has a nice predictability).
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
This clinic is a smaller office of the main office in Mineola, Long Island. They do most things here (IUI, ultrasounds, sonogram, saline sonogram, uterine biopsy, sperm analysis, blood work). They do not do IVF egg retrieval or frozen embryo transfer. Because it's a smaller office you see the same folks each time you visit and they know you and remember you. You feel like a human not a number. Every once in a while, you can have to wait a long time (because it is a smaller office) but usually it is in and out for monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Bray at Reproductive Specialists of New York.
I have insurance coverage so I have a 30$ copay for all monitoring/doctor's appointments. Dr. Bray also knew about some frustrating aspects of my coverage and helped me work it out ahead of time to take the most of my coverage. Without her knowing about these things I would have lost a lot of coverage.
Describe Mary Bray's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Specialists of New York.
She is totally in support of eSET for women under 35 who have good egg quality and who either have funds to pay for multiple transfers or who have insurance. She is not against doing two embryos (although she makes it clear she prefers one) and allows the couple to choose a single or double embryo transfer. She goes through all the statistics of a single embryo vs. double embryo getting you pregnant, getting you a singleton or a twin pregnancy.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Ask questions and express any concerns. She [Dr. Mary Bray] takes concerns very seriously and wants to know if you're having a hard time emotionally. She will also make a significant effort to make sure you fully understand and are comfortable. She is cut and dry, which I can see would turn off some people, but it was her frankness that helped me make good informed decisions about my treatment.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Mary Bray at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Dr. Bray is knowledgeable, up to date on research, and uses evidenced based medicine. She is obviously passionately engaged in her field. She adjusted my cycles quickly when unexpected things happened and was adaptable. I felt that she was the first doctor to accurately represent what my chances were for each cycle, all the while still being hopeful.
Ask questions and express any concerns. She takes concerns very seriously and wants to know if you're having a hard time emotionally. She will also make a significant effort to make sure you fully understand and are comfortable. She is cut and dry, which I can see would turn off some people, but it was her frankness that helped me make good informed decisions about my treatment.
While Dr. Bray does not have a particularly touchy Feely manner she obviously cares about her patients, their success and we'll being. She made decision factors very clear but always respected your decision. I greatly appreciated the candor because I knew I could trust her and she wasn't just trying to make money off me or make me "feel better". She answers questions thoroughly as well and will take the time to explain and re-explain without trying to kick you out of the office.
We had to do a certain number of IUI cycles before insurance would cover IVF. I took a low dose of Femara to stimulate egg production each cycle which worked but I did not become pregnant. She informed us earlier that due to my diagnosis, IVF would most likely be the successful treatment. I did one egg retreval with injectables menapur, gonal f, and ganarelix. I was also put on estrogen and projesterone. The third egg transfer was successful with a natural cycle as I ovulated on my own and responded unpredictably to the estrogen.
Everyone was friendly, warm, helpful, and caring. They always responded to requests quickly and the office is organized and efficient.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
The availability of early appointments is great but it was annoying to trek to mineola for any necessary weekend appointments or transfers and retrievals. Lucily that didn't happen too often. They put in effort to communicate with your insurance agency and make everything as simple as possible.
Most was covered by insurance but I did have to pay for some drugs, some for ivf transfers, retrievals, and the cost of embryo storange.
Brooklyn
Dr. Bray is a wonderful doctor...She’s very straight forward and doesn’t really sugar coat anything which to me is perfect. But for others it might come across as rough/harsh. She answers all my questions at all times. For the most part she’s been very conservative with my treatmeants which I’m ok with and every cycle she’ll increase my meds a bit... All in all, I would recommend her at any time. Although I haven’t been successful with having a baby. She’s really trying and you really can’t blame the doctors. They are there to assist as much as possible. At the end of the day it’s in God’s perfect timing.
How was your experience with Mary Bray at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
Dr. Bray is a wonderful doctor along with her team at the Brooklyn office. She’s very straight forward and doesn’t really sugar coat anything which to me is perfect. But for others it might come across as rough/harsh. She answers all my questions at all times. For the most part she’s been very conservative with my treatmeants which I’m ok with and every cycle she’ll increase my meds a bit. It’s resulted in 1 pregnancy but miscarried shortly after .... I’m ready to peruse my IVF journey with her. All in all, I would recommend her at any time. Although I haven’t been successful with having a baby. She’s really trying and you really can’t blame the doctors. They are there to assist as much as possible. At the end of the day it’s in God’s perfect timing.
Be prepared with questions and trust the process.
The office staff are very personable and they care. They are very on top of your care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Specialists of New York. (Assigned nurse: Elaina, RN)
Elaina works hand in hand with Dr. Bray. She’s awesome and has always been our go to with extra questions or concerns. She always always responds in a timely manner. Super sweet as well.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
It’s a beautiful office, with great staff. Everyone is pleasant, understanding we are already worrying so much about our infertility issues they try to relate and show compassion. Being that I visit the office 2 times a week most of the time they’ve become my second family.
IUIs have been covered by my insurance. I just pay copayments on my meds. My IVF is not covered.
Brooklyn
She [Dr. Mary Bray] knew my name, I felt like I knew her personally and could ask anything....She is wonderful. From the moment I met her I felt/feel I was in the right hands. Im sure she will help us reach our goals. She is reassuring, honest, direct and knowledgeable. Im happy she is my doctor...Dont be turned off by her directness. She really truly wants what you want and has dedicated her whole life to women being able to have a family.
How was your experience with Mary Bray at Reproductive Specialists of New York?
She knew my name, I felt like I knew her personally and could ask anything.
I dont remember, it was overwhelming for me the first time around. I just followed instructions.
They are wonderful. They all know me by name. I feel safe in that office.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Specialists of New York.
The clinic has convenient hours, friendly caring staff. You can feel that they really care in that office. Im so happy I go here. Anyone who goes here will be happy and safe. There arent any weaknesses to this office. Its a caring convenient office.
Insurance covered my visits
My doc agreed that because of my age she would transfer 2. We both agreed thats the ideal number.