6.4

Mary Ellen Pavone works at

259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269

I felt Dr. Pavone was very cold. She would not show much emotion. Not sure if that is how she always is, or if that is her personality. I expected her to be more personal and excited for us, but maybe that was too much. We hardly saw her, and when we did, it was sort of awkward. ... She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her
They [Northwestern Medicine] are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns. ... A urine sample was spilled, so I had to take some more time off to go back in to give another sample. ... [monitoring] It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortabl
How was your experience with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She definitely knew what she was doing. Always very professional, and very knowledgeable. I never doubted her. I only wish she was more personable, and more warm towards us. She was never rude or anything like that, just cold. Maybe that's her personality. We plan to seek her care for our next baby next year.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She knows what she is doing, trust her. Don't let her emotionless personality steer you away.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Mary Ellen Pavone used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
When we didn't get pregnant the 1st time, she umped the dosage of the meds so that the egg retrieval came up with more eggs. She also upped the dosage for the fertility shots to make sure my body held on to the egg.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They were all so wonderful and caring! I felt like they knew me on a personal level. They made me feel like part if the family.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are all so very friendly. I love that they can get me in super early before work, and on the weekends. It was easy to get labs and treatments when I had a busy week. I also loved how easy it was to get a hold of a nurse if I had any concerns.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It was pretty in and out, the ladies were so very nice and they made me feel comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Ellen Pavone at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Out of pocket, for both procedures and treatments, we paid a little under 6k for both my wife and I. We do have private insurance that did cover some of the costs.
Describe Mary Ellen Pavone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I always wondered why she chose to only do a single egg transfer opposed to a multiple egg transfer. I always thought that would give me higher chances of conceiving, but she never explained.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Mary Ellen Pavone

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Because of diminished ovarian reserve, typically we've used max doses of gonadotropins and I've actually responded fairly well for what would be expected. I've also tried DHEA, Co-Q 10, various other supplements, herbal remedies, acupuncture - have pretty much tried it all. Dr. Pavone always discussed these with me and most importantly went over the benefits and risks.
I felt that the IVF Coordinators [at Northwestern Medicine's Fertility Clinic] could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday...The new office space and lab are amazing - very state of the art. I like that they are open 7 days a week and that there is a doctor always on call for any emergent need. The monitoring runs smoothly and quickly.
Dr. Pavone is very intelligent and knows that data behind the most recent theories in fertility care. In being on this road for as long as we have, unfortunately, I've done a lot of reading and gotten A LOT of 'advice' from people who really think they understand fertility better than specialists. No matter what crazy thing I brought to Dr. Pavone, she always took time to discuss peer-reviewed literature and why something made sense or didn't make sense.
She has always taken the time to explain the ins and outs of our fertility care to both me and my husband and returned my calls promptly when she could (i.e. wasn't in the operating room or seeing other patients in clinic).
I felt that the IVF Coordinators could be really rude at times. While I understand they are busy, I often felt like they never took time to discuss results. Their hours are interesting in that it seems like you can't get a hold of any of the IVF nurses after 3 PM on a weekday.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I felt like this clinic is a well-oiled machine in the mornings. There are certainly some patients who complain a lot about having to do any waiting but I felt that if you got there somewhat early, you would get in and out in good time.
Fortunately, our insurance has covered all of our procedures. We've only had to pay copays for procedures and medications.
Mary Ellen Pavone