5.3

104 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923
978-882-6767

2020, Unsuccessful
Barely spoke w/Dr Sabatini outside of initial consult and the call 1 month after I miscarried...I had a large fibroid in my uterine muscle that was protruding into my uterus. It was creating partial blockage of my left tube and taking up precious space in my uterus where implantation would likely occur. Every time I asked about it, Dr Sabatini said it was a non-issue. When I did get pregnant, the fibroid was blocking the ability to look at the gestational sac, the heartbeat, etc. The embryos were trapped between it & my uterine wall...
Not one Dr throughout my treatment [at Massachusetts General Hospital] seemed to even look at the chart before seeing me...[nurse was] Well organized, communications and specificity were terrific. She closed the gap between me and the doctors, I always felt well cared for...I called to say I was spotting, on-call didn't get back to me...When I left the clinic, getting my records was a DISASTER. They refused to fax, took weeks to process the request and sent incomplete records, requiring me to go through another round of requests...
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Great experience and very scientific, but as far as expertise with IVF, I don't know enough to comment. She was absent during my care except for the first and last appointment. My treatment was during COVID but there was no excuse for the lack of communication or follow-up. I was not impressed with this practice. I had a large fibroid in my uterine muscle that was protruding into my uterus. It was creating partial blockage of my left tube and taking up precious space in my uterus where implantation would likely occur. Every time I asked about it, Dr Sabatini said it was a non-issue. When I did get pregnant, the fibroid was blocking the ability to look at the gestational sac, the heartbeat, etc. The embryos were trapped between it & my uterine wall. It made appointments when I was pregnant a total nightmare. I saw 3 doctors after Dr Sabatini, all of whom could not believe the large fibroid inside my uterus was deemed "irrelevant" to my ability to get pregnant and none would have moved forward with a transfer until that was removed. I wasted my precious time & embryos at this facility. When I asked Dr Sabatini in my final visit what type of fibroid I had, she couldn't even tell me. It was bad. Would not recommend.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Find out how she will be involved and be prepared for coordinated care in the practice which might mean seeing doctors or students who are not familiar with your case so you have to repeat your history over & over again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Barely spoke w/Dr Sabatini outside of initial consult and the call 1 month after I miscarried. Apparently she was on sabbatical during my treatment - that was never communicated. Not one Dr throughout my treatment seemed to even look at the chart before seeing me.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol. Menopur/Gonal and the HcG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Strengths: part of MGH Opportunities: better coordinated care across the doctors, improved follow-up from staff (I was spotting and on call didn't call me back...nightmare), be more innovative in solutions, look at Boston IVF and take some best practices from them
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I cannot recall. I think $10-$15k for a retrieval & transfer
Describe Mary Sabatini's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Multiple embryo transfer for untested eggs if other factors like age were a consideration, was considered, though singleton was preferred & recommended
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Doc forgot to order the clomid challenge as part of my original workup, causing a delay in getting started,then Covid hit - I called to say I was spotting, on-call didn't get back to me - Never saw my doctor after initial visit nor did I have any sort of communication with her or ability to reach her or another doc when I had questions - Teaching hospital, the students are a mix of good & not so good. One student doing my ultrasound needed to wait for the doc in a procedure to look at my ultrasound to show her where the gestational sac was in my uterus and explain the presence of the corpus luteum b/c I was pregnant. Created a ton of stress for me waiting - really just unbelievable they didn't know that - When I left the clinic, getting my records was a DISASTER. They refused to fax, took weeks to process the request and sent incomplete records, requiring me to go through another round of requests - their delays resulted in a nearly 2-month delay in getting started with my new clinic b/c they needed blood, tests, etc and couldn't re-run those b/c insurance wouldn't approve - It took my doctor almost 1 month to connect with me after I miscarried. 1 month later, she finally made time for me. Total disgrace. - I was diagnosed w/a large fibroid inside the uterine cavity and they moved forward with transfer and assured me it was fine. I saw 2 RE specialists and my OB/GYN afterwards and they were appalled that any doctor would do a transfer based on size & location of the fibroid in the cavity. It was also partially blocking my tube, which came up in an early test and they still moved forward. Wasted my time & embryos. There was barely a note about it in my records, doctor couldn't even tell me the type of fibroid I had (my OB who examined me after the miscarriage knew in <2 seconds what type it was and explained why it needed to be removed to achieve pregnancy)

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Sabatini is compassionate while also being direct and sharing the facts. She works out a plan for you to follow on your journey with positivity the entire way. She used to talk to us as if having a baby was a certainty, not a possibility. She made us optimistic. We trusted her guidance and she led us to the best outcome possible- a beautiful daughter and frozen embryos for the future. We owe our daughter- our family- to her...Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer...my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
During our second retrieval [at Massachusetts General Hospital], our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone...We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone...The techs are wonderful! Always upbeat during scans and the nurses who drew my blood were always sweet and caring. The office itself runs smoothly, appointments were always on time, and I looked forward to seeing all of Sabatini’s staff (besides Cathy, who I usually only spoke to on the phone).
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Trust her. Know that she has your best interests in mind. Ask her questions, she will be happy to answer. Contact her office with any concerns you have. Believe in her optimism.
Dr. Sabatini learned about us as a couple and cared about what we were going through. While she was compassionate, she was also direct and helped us to see where we stood and where we needed to go.
Dr. Sabatini’s office is very experienced and knows what they’re doing. Each scan will lead them to direct your medications accordingly, know that they are making changes as needed. We were very lucky and my ivf cycles were quite straight forward- my follicles grew well and many were retrieved. Nonetheless, she made me aware of all possibilities and what would happen in different scenarios.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Cathy (can’t remember last name))
If you end up working with Cathy, Dr. Sabatini’s nurse, know to have a tough skin. Cathy wasn’t always pleasant and often seemed annoyed by questions. She isn’t especially personable and seems to lack empathy. She also didn’t always call when she was supposed to. She sometimes came across as straight up rude. We put up with her because of how much we liked Dr. Sabatini, but if we’d had a choice, we would not have chosen to work with her.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We had insurance for our first cycles, but our frozen cycle was uninsured. It was quite expensive, at least $4,000-$6,000.
Dr. Sabatini was an advocate for transferring a single embryo in our cycles, as our embryos were of high quality. We understand her reasoning behind this, as multiples can be more risky.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
During our second retrieval, our nurse, Cathy, failed to call us to tell us how many embryos were successfully fertilized and whether or not we were to start progesterone. We tried calling the clinic in the afternoon to inquire, and the receptionist said that they had until the end of the day to call us and that Cathy would. We waited, and she never did. The next time we called to get our embryo fertilization results, the office was closed. We were very upset, as we had no update and didn’t know if we should start progesterone. We ended up having to call the doctor on call after hours, who had to find our file and then share with us the good news that we had embryos fertilized and to start progesterone.
Danvers
We found Dr. Sabatini very caring and knowledgable. At our first several visits, she explained in detail our issues and advised of next steps (IVF) and the process. As we progressed further into the cycle, we were seen by various drs on the staff and that is where we ran into issues. We often left these appts feeling confused/uninformed and that no-one was "managing" our care.
Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained.... We worked with various nurses throughout the process. During the monitoring phase, speaking to multiple nurses was not an issue. However, when we started experiencing issues after miscarriage it was challenging because we had to recap our situation each time we spoke to someone.
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Schedule all appointments directly with Dr. Sabatini if at all possible
Dr. Sabatini seemed very kind and appeared genuinely invested in our outcome, however, we had limited visits with her. Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained. Again, we truly felt Dr. Sabatini was caring but as an MGH fertility patient, you are not always seen by your primary doctor.
Our treatment was IVF with ICSI and PGS testing. We went straight to this treatment due to advanced age and male factor infertility (morphology). Treatment resulted in pregnancy but subsequent miscarriage. Reason for miscarriage unknown.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were very pleased with our Dr but were not impressed with how the overall clinic was run. We had several issues with scheduling appointments, long wait times between appointments, oftentimes could not communicate directly with our doctor, and clinic staff was not as responsive as we would have liked.
Boston

Dr sabatini took over my care when my initial doctor left. I met with her once via a video chat, never in person and never saw or spoke with her again after that conversation. During my cycle I had to bring up details of the cycle which should have been known and scheduled into our plan which in the end caused complications. The cycle ended in a miscarriage, I never received a follow up call or an appointment. There was no concern from her about my well being, no concern if medically I was ok or to discuss future steps to help make our family
I would not recommend [MGH - Boston] due to the outcome of my results and the non compassionate non existent care/ follow up concern received/ not received...Nurses were friendly for the most part. I did receive extra medication from the nurse while at an appointment due to the concern of possibly running out prior to my trigger shot ...Monitoring appointments were quick. Scheduled time was provided but I would often be seen early...
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I would not recommend her
Poor cycle planning. No follow up or concern for my well being or what steps to take post miscarriage
I do not remember which medications were used this cycle. There were no complications with the medications
Kind and compassionate
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I would not recommend due to the outcome of my results and the non compassionate non existent care/ follow up concern received/ not received. I did not feel like my individual case and situation was carefully reviewed or planned out. Nurses were friendly for the most part. I did receive extra medication from the nurse while at an appointment due to the concern of possibly running out prior to my trigger shot .
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
More expensive than previous clinics used. My husband and I are both currently on a payment plan and still owe $4,000
Despite previous failed results we were allowed to transfer only 2 embryos and The remaining embryos were not able to be frozen

2015, Unknown Success
I really liked Dr. Sabatini. She could be brusque, as she was seeing a lot of people, so at times I felt like our conversations were hurried, and I would be out the door and into the nurse's office before I knew what had hit me. I went to her largely for a diagnosis after 2 1/2 years of not getting pregnant on my own. I have out of state insurance, however, so for actual treatment I will have to see someone else. But I thought Dr. Sabatini was brilliant, friendly, nonjudgmental, was easily reachable by email, and had great ideas for how to proceed. I'm sorry not to be working with her the whole way through...I wound up just seeing her for diagnosis, and she diagnosed me as unexplained. I wasn't ready for IVF, and so she suggested we first stimulate my ovulation and time intercourse, seeing how that went before moving on to something more advanced. At every stage she was respectful of my wanting a conservative, noninvasive approach, and honest with me about the odds of success. I did not do stimulation with her in the end, instead opting to try to conceive naturally for a little while longer (I was unsuccessful)...
Do your homework ahead of time so that you can ask questions and really retain the answers. In retrospect I wish I had made my partner come along to most of the appointments with me, so that there were two of us listening to what she told us and not just me...
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Truthfully, I kind of wish Dr. Sabatini would be my friend. She's smart, funny, and was respectful about my feelings of ambivalence, worry, hesitation about invasive procedures, and other wimpishness on my part. I saw her at every visit. I underwent a few different diagnostic procedures, including imaging in which Dr. Sabatini pronounced my ovaries and uterus "beautiful," which I thought was hilarious. She diagnosed me in the end with unexplained in fertility and a not serious fibroid, and her suggestion was that we stimulate me and rather than try IUI that we have timed intercourse at home, very respectful of my desire to be as minimally interfered with as possible. If I lived full time in Massachusetts, and MGH Danvers were in-network for my insurance, I absolutely would have continued seeing her.
Overall I spent about $3K out of pocket for all the testing and diagnostic work. I forget how much insurance paid, but it wasn't much, as the clinic was out of network.
2012 - 2015, Successful
I felt like a human because she [Dr. Sabatini] built such a nice relationship with my husband and I...She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options...Due to my age and my reasons for infertility, she recommended eSET which we completely agreed with...was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us.
The MGH clinic was one of the best run healthcare offices I have worked with. They really have their operations down. I never had an issue getting an appointment when I needed one. I never had to wait too long...I don't recall having any poor experiences [with the nurses]. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion...the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols.
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Sabatini was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us. She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options. I recommended her to another friend who also loved her. Dr. Sabatini is one of the best doctors I have ever had. Fertility treatment is hard and she was incredibly understanding of that and helped make it as smooth as possible.
Trust her!
I felt like a human because she built such a nice relationship with my husband and I.
It has been so long now since my first fresh cycle. I don't know if doctors that their own protocol but I know the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols. For my fresh cycle, I used Lupron, Follistim or gonal-F, menopur, ovidrel trigger I believe, steroids and antibiotics before transfer as well as injectable progesterone and an estrogen patch. My two fresh cycles were pretty long to start which initiated with lupron and estrogen patches. As we neared transfer, I used estrogen patches, progesterone suppositories and progesterone injections.
I don't recall having any poor experiences. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I had incredible health insurance and only needed to pay a copay for medication. I don't think I ever spend more than $140 per cycle out of pocket.

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Sabitini is incredibly kind, and respectful. However I never feel like I had enough time in her office, and she was late for several of our planned phone calls.... Dr. Sabitini is brilliant. She specializes in infertility with cancer which is why she was the perfect fit for me. That said, I often feel rushed during our visits and always walk away with more questions.... She can have a tough bedside manner, but go in to your appointment ready to learn and with questions knowing that she is going to do everything she can to help you have a baby.
MGH is an incredible hospital with amazing staff. That said, they are all extremely busy and it would be nice to have more time per appointment because even though they have done this a million times, it’s my first experience and I’m terrified.... I have not received calls with all my test results although they do get posted online.... I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive and carry a baby before my cancer relapses. This treatment will give me the best shot.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We are still determining this.
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
The first IUI was great, a lot of information, timely detailed instructions. This second IUI (was suppose to be IVF) was confusing, received mismatching information from nurses, and generally was made to feel that they didn't really care about the outcome.