Medical SchoolColumbia
617-726-8868
104 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923
978-882-6767
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mary Sabatini to a friend?
6.7

5.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Massachusetts General Hospital to a friend?
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
We found Dr. Sabatini very caring and knowledgable. At our first several visits, she explained in detail our issues and advised of next steps (IVF) and the process. As we progressed further into the cycle, we were seen by various drs on the staff and that is where we ran into issues. We often left these appts feeling confused/uninformed and that no-one was "managing" our care.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Schedule all appointments directly with Dr. Sabatini if at all possible
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Sabatini seemed very kind and appeared genuinely invested in our outcome, however, we had limited visits with her. Many of the procedures/appointments were with other members of the MGH staff and we were not pleased with the level of patient care with the other staff. We often left appointments where we felt uninformed about the next step and procedures we not explained. Again, we truly felt Dr. Sabatini was caring but as an MGH fertility patient, you are not always seen by your primary doctor.
Describe the protocols Mary Sabatini used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
Our treatment was IVF with ICSI and PGS testing. We went straight to this treatment due to advanced age and male factor infertility (morphology). Treatment resulted in pregnancy but subsequent miscarriage. Reason for miscarriage unknown.
We worked with various nurses throughout the process. During the monitoring phase, speaking to multiple nurses was not an issue. However, when we started experiencing issues after miscarriage it was challenging because we had to recap our situation each time we spoke to someone.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
We were very pleased with our Dr but were not impressed with how the overall clinic was run. We had several issues with scheduling appointments, long wait times between appointments, oftentimes could not communicate directly with our doctor, and clinic staff was not as responsive as we would have liked.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I really liked Dr. Sabatini. She could be brusque, as she was seeing a lot of people, so at times I felt like our conversations were hurried, and I would be out the door and into the nurse's office before I knew what had hit me. I went to her largely for a diagnosis after 2 1/2 years of not getting pregnant on my own. I have out of state insurance, however, so for actual treatment I will have to see someone else. But I thought Dr. Sabatini was brilliant, friendly, nonjudgmental, was easily reachable by email, and had great ideas for how to proceed. I'm sorry not to be working with her the whole way through...I wound up just seeing her for diagnosis, and she diagnosed me as unexplained. I wasn't ready for IVF, and so she suggested we first stimulate my ovulation and time intercourse, seeing how that went before moving on to something more advanced. At every stage she was respectful of my wanting a conservative, noninvasive approach, and honest with me about the odds of success. I did not do stimulation with her in the end, instead opting to try to conceive naturally for a little while longer (I was unsuccessful)...
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Truthfully, I kind of wish Dr. Sabatini would be my friend. She's smart, funny, and was respectful about my feelings of ambivalence, worry, hesitation about invasive procedures, and other wimpishness on my part. I saw her at every visit. I underwent a few different diagnostic procedures, including imaging in which Dr. Sabatini pronounced my ovaries and uterus "beautiful," which I thought was hilarious. She diagnosed me in the end with unexplained in fertility and a not serious fibroid, and her suggestion was that we stimulate me and rather than try IUI that we have timed intercourse at home, very respectful of my desire to be as minimally interfered with as possible. If I lived full time in Massachusetts, and MGH Danvers were in-network for my insurance, I absolutely would have continued seeing her.
Do your homework ahead of time so that you can ask questions and really retain the answers. In retrospect I wish I had made my partner come along to most of the appointments with me, so that there were two of us listening to what she told us and not just me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Overall I spent about $3K out of pocket for all the testing and diagnostic work. I forget how much insurance paid, but it wasn't much, as the clinic was out of network.

2012 - 2015
I felt like a human because she [Dr. Sabatini] built such a nice relationship with my husband and I...She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options...Due to my age and my reasons for infertility, she recommended eSET which we completely agreed with...was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us.
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Sabatini was incredibly caring when we were under her care. from the moment we met her we felt confident in her abilities and process. In our first consultation visit she explained everything so well to us. She really took the time to understand what our goals were, What we were willing to go through, and then break down our options. I recommended her to another friend who also loved her. Dr. Sabatini is one of the best doctors I have ever had. Fertility treatment is hard and she was incredibly understanding of that and helped make it as smooth as possible.
Trust her!
I felt like a human because she built such a nice relationship with my husband and I.
It has been so long now since my first fresh cycle. I don't know if doctors that their own protocol but I know the clinic has specific protocols that they use. I reacted very well to their standard protocols. For my fresh cycle, I used Lupron, Follistim or gonal-F, menopur, ovidrel trigger I believe, steroids and antibiotics before transfer as well as injectable progesterone and an estrogen patch. My two fresh cycles were pretty long to start which initiated with lupron and estrogen patches. As we neared transfer, I used estrogen patches, progesterone suppositories and progesterone injections.
I don't recall having any poor experiences. The clinic runs really well and I always received calls when expected and with the appropriate level of compassion.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
The MGH clinic was one of the best run healthcare offices I have worked with. They really have their operations down. I never had an issue getting an appointment when I needed one. I never had to wait too long.
I had incredible health insurance and only needed to pay a copay for medication. I don't think I ever spend more than $140 per cycle out of pocket.
Describe Mary Sabatini's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Boston

Dr sabatini took over my care when my initial doctor left. I met with her once via a video chat, never in person and never saw or spoke with her again after that conversation. During my cycle I had to bring up details of the cycle which should have been known and scheduled into our plan which in the end caused complications. The cycle ended in a miscarriage, I never received a follow up call or an appointment. There was no concern from her about my well being, no concern if medically I was ok or to discuss future steps to help make our family
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I would not recommend her
Poor cycle planning. No follow up or concern for my well being or what steps to take post miscarriage
I do not remember which medications were used this cycle. There were no complications with the medications
Kind and compassionate
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
I would not recommend due to the outcome of my results and the non compassionate non existent care/ follow up concern received/ not received. I did not feel like my individual case and situation was carefully reviewed or planned out. Nurses were friendly for the most part. I did receive extra medication from the nurse while at an appointment due to the concern of possibly running out prior to my trigger shot .
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Monitoring appointments were quick. Scheduled time was provided but I would often be seen early
More expensive than previous clinics used. My husband and I are both currently on a payment plan and still owe $4,000
Despite previous failed results we were allowed to transfer only 2 embryos and The remaining embryos were not able to be frozen

2015 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Sabitini is incredibly kind, and respectful. However I never feel like I had enough time in her office, and she was late for several of our planned phone calls.... Dr. Sabitini is brilliant. She specializes in infertility with cancer which is why she was the perfect fit for me. That said, I often feel rushed during our visits and always walk away with more questions.... She can have a tough bedside manner, but go in to your appointment ready to learn and with questions knowing that she is going to do everything she can to help you have a baby.
2015 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
How was your experience with Mary Sabatini at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I am about to start IVF with ICSI and PGS. Dr. Sabitini recommended this treatment as I have a chronic cancer and have a very short window to conceive and carry a baby before my cancer relapses. This treatment will give me the best shot.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
MGH is an incredible hospital with amazing staff. That said, they are all extremely busy and it would be nice to have more time per appointment because even though they have done this a million times, it’s my first experience and I’m terrified.
We are still determining this.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?

2013 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The first IUI was great, a lot of information, timely detailed instructions. This second IUI (was suppose to be IVF) was confusing, received mismatching information from nurses, and generally was made to feel that they didn't really care about the outcome.
2013 - 2015