Nurse available by email
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipColumbia
300 Community Dr.
Manhasset, NY 11030
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Matthew Cohen to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) to a friend?
It was very systematic, we didn't feel supported by the doctor [Dr. Cohen]. We needed encouragement, a positive outlook and the treatment to be tailored towards our medical needs and how my body was responding to the treatment. Instead we received one protocol, no options and the doctor never assessed any further. When the IVF was unsuccessful, I had to reach out for assistance, the doctor never called to follow up.
She [nurse at Northwell Health] was helpful and responsive. She was warm and made efforts to assist us through this process. She explained information and had patience...I requested a copy of my entire medical records and it took two weeks of harassing them to finally receive it...Sometimes it was quick other times there was a wait time...Strengths-clean, several locations in Long Island, Queens and Manhattan. Weakness-wait time during apts., some staff were insensitive and delayed in responding to messages or requests, with the exception of the nurses.
How was your experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was informative and delivered knowledge. Unfortunately, he was not able to help us and we felt unsupported throughout the process and after the failed treatments by him. During my requested follow call after the failed IVF, he stated over the phone his opinion that if the next treatment didn't work out that he would suggest not trying anymore and failed to provide any medical information as to the reasons for his recommendation. This was very hurtful to us and it has taken me over one year to find myself emotionally ready and available to try fertility treatments again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Ask questions as to the different protocols available and whether they fully rule out possible medical conditions that might contribute to the outcome of treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
It was very systematic, we didn't feel supported by the doctor. We needed encouragement, a positive outlook and the treatment to be tailored towards our medical needs and how my body was responding to the treatment. Instead we received one protocol, no options and the doctor never assessed any further. When the IVF was unsuccessful, I had to reach out for assistance, the doctor never called to follow up.
Describe the protocols Matthew Cohen used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Clomid for IUIs; birth control and injections for IVF including the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Ms. Gilic)
She was helpful and responsive. She was warm and made efforts to assist us through this process. She explained information and had patience.
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Sometimes it was quick other times there was a wait time. There were times my records where not transferred to the other location even when followed up.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
It was mostly covered under our insurance, copays, genetic testing were out of pocket and some other fees.
Describe Matthew Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We only had one embryo to transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).

2018 - 2020
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
I would tell any person coming into this clinic [that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly. ... When my partner left his sperm sample, the Laboratory was to analyze and store his sample. Instead the lab analyzed and threw out his sample by mistake. We did not know this until the day before retrieval. Because of my partner work schedule (he works for MTA) he just could not get off to come with me the next morning to produce sperm while the doctor was retrieving my eggs. Which is why I would tell anyone coming in that they should stay on top of the lab.
2018 - 2020
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Cohen strengths is the way he approaches his patient’s. He’s very caring and careful with his words in describing an outcome that may not occur. When I first sat down with Dr. Cohen he first explained to me why the human body preforms the way it does. And that no amount of medicine or modern technology can change that. With that said, he laid out for the reason why it would be extremely hard for a women my age to get pregnant naturally with my own eggs. He told me this information in a way as if he was letting me down easy and not to have high expectations. He was not rough by saying, “you too old to get pregnant”. He did recommend using donor eggs, but at the same time he did not force it or say to me that this was my ONLY option.
With the number of years he has in this profession, I would tell them to consider all of his advice and follow it. And understand, that’s he’s trying to help you get pregnant and not discourage you from starting a family.
He treated me with kid gloves. As an expert in this filed he told me delicately that because of my age the expectations will not be good. But at the same time he was very encouraging because of my AMH levels which is high for a women of my age.
Usually in a women my age, my AMH would be low and my FHS would be high. But because my levels were good, Dr. Cohen was more excited than I was to start treatment. This encouragement from him made me feel more enthusiastic about starting fertility treatment regardless of my age. On my first round of treatment, Dr. Cohen had me on 300 iu of Gonal F and 150 of Menopur per day. He did this for about 12 days (I can’t remember the exact number of days). Again his rational for this protocol was because my AMH levels where 1.1. He was able to retrieve 13 eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic, RN)
Very informative and walked me through each progress step by step. Called me every night to see how I was doing on the medication. She was concerned about any side effects. She was also very encouraging because my of AMH levels.
I would tell any person coming into this clinic that the fertility clinic and the laboratory that maintains the sperm are 2 separate entities. I would tell them that they would have to be on top of the laboratory to ensure that they have the doctor’s orders that the it is followed exactly.
You could go in between the hours of 7 to 11 for monitoring, but I always made sure I have an appointment for 7:00 am. One time, I was not able to get an appointment until 7:30 am. I did this so that I could ensure I would get seen and leave the clinic by a certain time because I still had to go to work. If you did not have an appointment, you had to wait but was still seen.
Since my insurance only cover 80% of treatment my co-payment was $4,000. My insurance does not cover fertility medication, which $8,000.00
Because of poor egg quality, we were not able to transfer any embryos.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
When my fiancé left his sample, someone [Northwell Health] failed to tell the lab that his sample was to be screened and stored. The sample was only screened but not stored and it was thrown out ... This clinic feels more like a spa rather than a clinic, but the wait time is excessive. It takes a long time just to make an appointment. ... The sonograms and bold draws were mainly done in the morning. The clinic opened at 7am. If I came in at 7 am I was seen in an appropriate amount of time for my sonogram and blood work. So I always made sure that I was at the clinic at 7am so that I would be out the door before 7:45 to get to my job by 9am.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Cohen was very blunt when I first sat down with him. He explained to me why it would be almost impossible to use my own eggs for a women my age. He made it seem like it was not my fault, it’s just Mother Nature. He also explained that science has not gotten to the point of reversing ageing and/or diminished ovarian reserve. But he was very hopeful in explaining to me that I could carry a pregnancy with donor eggs. And regardless of the fact that they are donor eggs that this would be my child. So I am grateful for explaining to me in great detail why it would be difficult to use my own eggs do to ageing. I was not going to entertain the thought of using donor eggs, but after speaking with Dr. Cohen I did reconsider and started to research donor eggs more.
Listen to everything that he tells you first, but you start asking question. And to also be patient.
They were very caring and spoke to me like a human being and not a number. For instance, at every visit they made sure that I was up to date on my yearly mammogram, obg-yn visit, physical and even dental. They stressed how important all this was before undergoing IVF. Dr. Cohen was even concerned about the previous surgeries that I had years ago. My nurse always called me to check up on me to see how I was doing.
After doing my labs on day 2 of my cycle, Dr. Cohen was very hopeful (but still apprehensive) about using my own eggs. He explained to me that for someone my age, my AMH and FSH are not good but not bad either. He was the one who then encouraged me to try a round of IVF using my own eggs. So he started me on 150 of Menopur and 300 of Gonal F every night for the first 4 nights. Then after that, he only increased the Menopur to 225 per night until time for retrieval. Cetrotide was also used to control onvulation as well as Noveral for the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic RN)
Vahida has been great. She has been reassuring me that based on my labs I should have a successful egg retrieval which I did have. In fact she encouraged me to wait until after transfer before considering donor egg. She was very hopeful that I would have a good outcome based on my numbers. Sometimes the nursing staff forget to following up with me and I am on hold for an excessive length of time. But when I do get to speak with them, they are very very thorough.
This clinic feels more like a spa rather than a clinic, but the wait time is excessive. It takes a long time just to make an appointment. If you are considering using this clinic. please make your appointment right away as it takes a long time to get an appointment.
The sonograms and bold draws were mainly done in the morning. The clinic opened at 7am. If I came in at 7 am I was seen in an appropriate amount of time for my sonogram and blood work. So I always made sure that I was at the clinic at 7am so that I would be out the door before 7:45 to get to my job by 9am. So I liked how they run their morning hours.
All my co payments totaled $6,000.00. This includes clinic co payments and medication.
We have not gotten to a transfer day yet as we are going to do another round of IVF. So was have not discussed that as of yet. But we have discussed genetic testing on the embryos.

PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr Cohen] was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
Strengths: it was comfortable, clean, efficient. There were two specific ladies in the reception area who were absolute angels. Weaknesses: sometimes we waited a very long time...No one told me that I wasn't allowed to take advil during treatments until after I took a lot for backache. No one told my husband when he was supposed to start his antibiotics for the IVF cycle, so he never took them. When I called the nurse to ask how my embryos were developing , they read me the results from the day before instead of from that day so I was panicking about the lack of development. They didn't tell us until very last minute (a week before our scheduled IUI) that my husband would need to get re-tested for genetic diseases and then the doctor (not Dr. Cohen) criticized me and my husband because my husband didn't accompany me to the first appointment where he claims he would have remembered to tell him.
PCOS, Unexplained
He was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
Even if he seems a little cold at first, it's not a real coldness, it's just a personality. He's very kind and warm.
He was the kindest doctor. He had a ton of patience, always waiting until I asked all of my questions. He always told me all of the facts and didn't keep me guessing or waiting.
By the time I switched to Dr. Cohen, I had already been on 2 failed cycles of chlomid. I switched over to him to try an IUI - he upped my dosage of chlomid because I was only producing 1 egg a month with it, and we scheduled 2 timed IUIs with injections. I did that twice. I didn't want to do a third because my 2nd IUI was too hard for me and he didn't pressure me to try again even though he said 4 IUIs are standard. We moved onto IVF and it was successful.
Some of them were great - really helpful and compassionate and clear. Other nurses were a little rougher or impatient. A few nurses forgot to tell us some medications that we were supposed to use or not allowed to use. One nurse also read me the wrong report about my embryo development so I experienced a traumatic few days where I thought none of my embryos were developing normally. But there were a few really nice ones.
I went in early in the morning before work so I didn't usually have very long lines. Sometimes I walked right in for blood work and stepped directly into the room for a sonogram. Other times there was a little bit of a longer wait but it was never terrible.
IUI I believe was a bit less than $500, IVF medication I think was around $12k, IVF processes was around $14k but we got $4k back.
+ Read more- Read less

He genuinely cares about each patient, however, he reminded us of Sheldon Cooper on big bang theory - genius with limited social interaction skills. That being said, we would definitely go back to him in the future and recommend him to anyone looking.
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive...Whenever we were unsure of how to proceed, the nurses were kind and patient and made sure calls were returned in a timely manner. They more than made up the lack of bedside manner of Dr. Cohen...He was very down to earth and explained things to us at every turn. He is definitely a little quirky, but was patient with us and treated us like mature adults, never talking over our heads. Would definitely recommend him and his staff to anyone looking
His social interaction skills are limited, but he more than makes up for it with his genius. In the end, as long as you get your baby, do you really care that you were treated by Dr. Spock?
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Cohen] was great, appointments were usually very short and more the office than the doctor felt like an assembly line. Doctor was great....He was very good at explaining everything and what to expect, he explained to my mom medical husband everything from IVF to PGS. He was very gentle during the procedures for procedures that i have heard of people complaining they hurt i didn’t even feel them.... They [nurses] were great, always calling me back and answered all questions
They [North Shore -Manhasset] were great, always calling me back and answered all questions...Very busy and feels like it’s easy to get lost, wait times can also be long. The staff however tries to be as accommodating as possible. Only 1 phlebotomist which can mean a long wait time for blood work...He [Dr. Cohen] was great, appointments were usually very short and more the office than the doctor felt like an assembly line. Doctor was great.
Ask questions
He was great, appointments were usually very short and more the office than the doctor felt like an assembly line. Doctor was great.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vajida)
They were great, always calling me back and answered all questions
About 18,000 not including medication or genetics
We did PGS so only 1 transferred

2020
He [Dr. Cohen] explained every thing in full. He was very informative and caring. He had a great personality and oversight. He provide great details over the procedure and after effects. We have not had the surgery yet because if COVID. But plan to go through with the surgery once elective surgeries are opened up again. ... He was very nice and had a good personality while explaining the issues.
The clinics [Northwell Health] strengths, weaknesses and anything else a new patient should know is many. They should do their homework and ask as many questions if the period as possible. It is helpful to search the internet and other forums to find other couples that had gone through similar experiences. ... There were many different types of coats associated with this.
2020
He explained every thing in full. He was very informative and caring. He had a great personality and oversight. He provide great details over the procedure and after effects. We have not had the surgery yet because if COVID. But plan to go through with the surgery once elective surgeries are opened up again.
Ask questions.
He was very nice and had a good personality while explaining the issues.
They were very helpful.
The clinics strengths, weaknesses and anything else a new patient should know is many. They should do their homework and ask as many questions if the period as possible. It is helpful to search the internet and other forums to find other couples that had gone through similar experiences.
There were many different types of coats associated with this.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Cohen is knowledgeable and has many years of experience. He does not give you false hope and he cares. He is patient and is always available to answer questions. He gives you a well thought out plan to achieve your intense goals. ... Dr Cohen makes you feel like a human. He is very caring and understanding ... Everyone is friendly and easy to get in touch.
Everyone [at Northwell Health] is friendly and easy to get in touch. Appointments are easy to make. Sometimes there is a long wait depending on the day. Parking is easy. There is valet parking. The clinic is clean and the waiting room is comfortable. ... The only whole staff is amazing from the Nurse Practitioner, Doreen to Dr. Cohen’s nurse, Vahida. They also showed concern and was always around for support and to answer questions.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Be patient. And write down all your questions. Don’t be afraid to raise any concerns or questions you have
Dr Cohen makes you feel like a human. He is very caring and understanding
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida RN)
Everyone is friendly and easy to get in touch. Appointments are easy to make. Sometimes there is a long wait depending on the day. Parking is easy. There is valet parking. The clinic is clean and the waiting room is comfortable.