Medical SchoolYale
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipColumbia
300 Community Dr.
Manhasset, NY 11030
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Matthew Cohen to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) to a friend?
It was very systematic, we didn't feel supported by the doctor [Dr. Cohen]. We needed encouragement, a positive outlook and the treatment to be tailored towards our medical needs and how my body was responding to the treatment. Instead we received one protocol, no options and the doctor never assessed any further. When the IVF was unsuccessful, I had to reach out for assistance, the doctor never called to follow up.
How was your experience with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He was informative and delivered knowledge. Unfortunately, he was not able to help us and we felt unsupported throughout the process and after the failed treatments by him. During my requested follow call after the failed IVF, he stated over the phone his opinion that if the next treatment didn't work out that he would suggest not trying anymore and failed to provide any medical information as to the reasons for his recommendation. This was very hurtful to us and it has taken me over one year to find myself emotionally ready and available to try fertility treatments again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Ask questions as to the different protocols available and whether they fully rule out possible medical conditions that might contribute to the outcome of treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
It was very systematic, we didn't feel supported by the doctor. We needed encouragement, a positive outlook and the treatment to be tailored towards our medical needs and how my body was responding to the treatment. Instead we received one protocol, no options and the doctor never assessed any further. When the IVF was unsuccessful, I had to reach out for assistance, the doctor never called to follow up.
Describe the protocols Matthew Cohen used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Clomid for IUIs; birth control and injections for IVF including the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Ms. Gilic)
She was helpful and responsive. She was warm and made efforts to assist us through this process. She explained information and had patience.
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Strengths-clean, several locations in Long Island, Queens and Manhattan. Weakness-wait time during apts., some staff were insensitive and delayed in responding to messages or requests, with the exception of the nurses.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Sometimes it was quick other times there was a wait time. There were times my records where not transferred to the other location even when followed up.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Cohen at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
It was mostly covered under our insurance, copays, genetic testing were out of pocket and some other fees.
Describe Matthew Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We only had one embryo to transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr Cohen] was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
PCOS, Unexplained
He was great at patience -- he always sat down, he never made me feel like he was in a rush, he always remembered me, he always answered all of my questions even if they sounded insane, he was always very compassionate when I would freak out, he was always ready to move on when I moved on and never pressured me into anything.
Even if he seems a little cold at first, it's not a real coldness, it's just a personality. He's very kind and warm.
He was the kindest doctor. He had a ton of patience, always waiting until I asked all of my questions. He always told me all of the facts and didn't keep me guessing or waiting.
By the time I switched to Dr. Cohen, I had already been on 2 failed cycles of chlomid. I switched over to him to try an IUI - he upped my dosage of chlomid because I was only producing 1 egg a month with it, and we scheduled 2 timed IUIs with injections. I did that twice. I didn't want to do a third because my 2nd IUI was too hard for me and he didn't pressure me to try again even though he said 4 IUIs are standard. We moved onto IVF and it was successful.
Some of them were great - really helpful and compassionate and clear. Other nurses were a little rougher or impatient. A few nurses forgot to tell us some medications that we were supposed to use or not allowed to use. One nurse also read me the wrong report about my embryo development so I experienced a traumatic few days where I thought none of my embryos were developing normally. But there were a few really nice ones.
Strengths: it was comfortable, clean, efficient. There were two specific ladies in the reception area who were absolute angels. Weaknesses: sometimes we waited a very long time
I went in early in the morning before work so I didn't usually have very long lines. Sometimes I walked right in for blood work and stepped directly into the room for a sonogram. Other times there was a little bit of a longer wait but it was never terrible.
IUI I believe was a bit less than $500, IVF medication I think was around $12k, IVF processes was around $14k but we got $4k back.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Cohen treated me with delicate hands. He knew that he had not so good news to tell me and he made sure that he did it in the most delicate manner. Throughout this entire experience so far, he has reassured me every step of the way...he sat me down to explain the reproductive cycle first before telling me why I would need IVF and why I would need to use donor eggs. He was very gentile and spoke with a very soft voice. He made me feel extremely comfortable even though the news is something that I did not want to hear. I feel very good in his hands.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Please make your appointments as early as possible to get to see him.
Because of the way he sat me down to explain the reproductive cycle first before telling me why I would need IVF and why I would need to use donor eggs. He was very gentile and spoke with a very soft voice. He made me feel extremely comfortable even though the news is something that I did not want to hear. I feel very good in his hands.
We have not gotten to that point yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic, RN)
Vahida is so wonderful. She explains every detail to me. She explains what’s going to happen next and what I should expect next. We have discussed using donor eggs as well as trying to retrieve my own. It was Vahida who suggest that I try to use my eggs before using donor. I feel very comfortable in her care. She has not lead me astray. She contacts me on a regular basis to follow up with me. I can ask her anything and I get an answer right away.
They were very good at getting me an appointment with Dr. Cohen. They are very good with appointment and procedure reminders. Overall I have never had a bad experience with the staff at the clinic. So I really don’t have any negative thing to say about them.
$5,000.00
we have not gotten to that step yet.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Cohen is very sweet. I felt as if he treated me like his own daughter who happens to be struggle during this difficult time to conceive. He was very patience with my partner, (we have been fighting) and Dr. Cohen was very understanding...is very soft spoken and speaks eloquantly...Make you feel very at ease even though the news is not good. He does encourage you not to give and explains in detail all of your options that are available to you.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Cohen is very soft spoken and speaks eloquantly. Very patience with his clients. Make you feel very at ease even though the news is not good. He does encourage you not to give and explains in detail all of your options that are available to you.
Tell him everything and dont be scared when you sit down with him.
We have not started the cycle yet. Currently we are doing all diagnostic testing first and filling out a lot of forms.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vahida Gilic RN)
Right now I have been under a lot of stress. My partner and I have been fighting and Vahida has sensed the tension between us. She has been very helpful during this trying times with me. Offered me counseling and stress reduction programs that the clinic offers to their patients.
Whenever I go to the clinic I have to register. I think that when they are asking you for your information for the purpose of registration, they should be more descret when asking you for your information.
My out of pocket expenses will exceed $5,000.00
We have not gotten to this point yet.
Manhasset
He genuinely cares about each patient, however, he reminded us of Sheldon Cooper on big bang theory - genius with limited social interaction skills. That being said, we would definitely go back to him in the future and recommend him to anyone looking.
He was very down to earth and explained things to us at every turn. He is definitely a little quirky, but was patient with us and treated us like mature adults, never talking over our heads. Would definitely recommend him and his staff to anyone looking
His social interaction skills are limited, but he more than makes up for it with his genius. In the end, as long as you get your baby, do you really care that you were treated by Dr. Spock?
Whenever we were unsure of how to proceed, the nurses were kind and patient and made sure calls were returned in a timely manner. They more than made up the lack of bedside manner of Dr. Cohen
Strength -At major hospital Weakness - Difficult to get to, had to drive
Manhasset
He [Dr. Cohen] was great, appointments were usually very short and more the office than the doctor felt like an assembly line. Doctor was great....He was very good at explaining everything and what to expect, he explained to my mom medical husband everything from IVF to PGS. He was very gentle during the procedures for procedures that i have heard of people complaining they hurt i didn’t even feel them.... They [nurses] were great, always calling me back and answered all questions
Ask questions
He was great, appointments were usually very short and more the office than the doctor felt like an assembly line. Doctor was great.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Vajida)
They were great, always calling me back and answered all questions
Very busy and feels like it’s easy to get lost, wait times can also be long. The staff however tries to be as accommodating as possible. Only 1 phlebotomist which can mean a long wait time for blood work
About 18,000 not including medication or genetics