Good

Philadelphia
822 Pine Street, Suite 4B
Philadelphia, PA 19107

1 patient review filtered by:

Although Dr. Kelly was very nice during consultations, we rarely saw her throughout the process (usually saw a nurse or tech for most appointments). For procedures, including my HSG, egg retrieval, test transfer and uterine biopsy, she was a little abrupt and didn’t talk much or provide much information.... Dr. Kelly was very open to working with us as a same-sex couple and she seemed very knowledgeable. She did not push us towards aggressive treatment initially and was fine to try multiple IUI rounds before moving on to IVF.
The clinic [Society Hill Reproductive Med] is a small one, which has pros and cons. On the pro side- you see the same people every time. The office is light and airy and doesn’t feel too “clinical”. They do have an acupuncturist there who you can see - although I don’t really recommend it (get acupuncture elsewhere). The wait times are minimal and you will usually be out in 30-45 minutes for your regular monitoring (bloodwork and U/S). They only do labs between 8-11am so plan your work schedule accordingly.
How was your experience with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kelly was very open to working with us as a same-sex couple and she seemed very knowledgeable. She did not push us towards aggressive treatment initially and was fine to try multiple IUI rounds before moving on to IVF. When we asked questions, she was able to answer. That being said, we only saw her during procedures and for a couple consultations. Most of the decisions (doing letrozole or a trigger shot with the IUIs) were communicated to us via the nurse. I had a couple of negative experiences during procedures when I felt that she was very abrupt and that communication wasn’t clear. For example, I went in for a transfer trial and in the middle, she said she was going to do a uterine biopsy - this hadn’t been discussed and I had no idea why or what to expect. I was already laying on a table, legs open with a full bladder, so I didn’t feel like I was able to ask thoughtful questions. During this, she also abruptly asked about my diet and said she wanted me to follow a strict Mediterranean diet because she thought my carb intake might be negatively affecting my egg quality. At no point had we ever discussed a problem with my egg quality and there was no follow-up (no diet teaching, no discussion of egg quality). That being said, she was kind and supportive during the 2 consultations we had and didn’t seem rushed during those times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Do thorough research beforehand and write out all your questions. Ask questions about everything- and double-check everything with the nurse or office staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Although Dr. Kelly was very nice during consultations, we rarely saw her throughout the process (usually saw a nurse or tech for most appointments). For procedures, including my HSG, egg retrieval, test transfer and uterine biopsy, she was a little abrupt and didn’t talk much or provide much information. I felt like we received minimal information along the way and the emotional support was lacking. Every time we got a negative pregnancy test, it was just like “okay, so next step”. That being said, everyone at the office was respectful and appointments were pretty timely.
Describe the protocols Maureen Kelly used in your cycles at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We started out with a series of lab tests - infectious disease screening, thyroid screening and then ultrasounds and LH/FSH, estrogen and progesterone levels at Day 3 of my cycle and starting around day 10 of my cycle and then every few days until I ovulated. First cycle, we did an unmedicated IUI when my bloodwork showed I was surging before ovulation (donor sperm). We checked progesterone levels at 7 days after the IUI and then pregnancy test at 14 days. This was negative. Second cycle was the same process with the exception of checking progesterone (they didn’t feel it necessary the second cycle since I had been normal with the first cycle). Third cycle I had an HSG around Day 10, which was normal. I hadn’t ovulated by day 18 and so a trigger shot (Ovidrel) was prescribed. I gave myself the Ovidrel the night before the IUI (about 24 hours beforehand). Pregnancy test 14 days later was negative. Fourth cycle, we decided to do letrozole to increase the number of follicles to see if that would improve my odds of conception. I had some headaches with the letrozole, but otherwise no issues and I had 2 follicles develop for ovulation. We did IUI and a pregnancy test 14 days later which was negative. I took a break from the fertility process for 3 months due to emotional overwhelm. Then we moved on to cycle 5, with letrozole again and this time the Ovidrel trigger shot as well - to speed up ovulation. 2 follicles again. Pregnancy test 14 days later - negative. Dr. Kelly was fine with trying another IUI, but given the statistics, we decided to move on to IVF. Started birth control (Sprintec) with Day 2 of my cycle and took it for 10 days. Then started Menopur 1 vial and Gonal-F 100 units for 12 days and then increased Gonal-F to 150 units for another 4 days. I also took Ganirelix for the last week or so to prevent early ovulation. I took Pregynl as a trigger shot 35.5 hours prior to egg retrieval. 1 dose of Doxycycline to prevent infection before the egg retrieval with 2 more afterwards. After egg retrieval, I waited for my period, which came 13 days afterwards. Then I started birth control (Sprintec) again for 14 days, then Lupron 10 units for 4 days, the added Estradiol pills, estradiol patch. I have a regimen that includes Lupron, Estradiol pills, estradiol patch, Progesterone IM, progesterone vaginal suppository, Medrol and doxycycline to follow up until my transfer date, which was scheduled about 7 weeks after my egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
There was one lovely tech, who drew blood and handled the urine samples - very sweet and chatted with me every time. Then we saw one of two people who I think were nurses or nurse practitioners (really not clear) who did the ultrasounds and gave us instructions. Overall, they were nice, but a little detached and it always felt like they were on a time crunch. However, they were quick to respond to any phone calls with questions and went through our regimen with us.
Describe your experience with Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is a small one, which has pros and cons. On the pro side- you see the same people every time. The office is light and airy and doesn’t feel too “clinical”. They do have an acupuncturist there who you can see - although I don’t really recommend it (get acupuncture elsewhere). The wait times are minimal and you will usually be out in 30-45 minutes for your regular monitoring (bloodwork and U/S). They only do labs between 8-11am so plan your work schedule accordingly. They do have a patient portal - but it’s not regularly updated and they don’t post your instructions in it (which is a bummer).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Maureen Kelly at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
For the IUIs, it was about $2500-$3500 each time, counting the lab work and monitoring (all self pay for me). For the IVF, we purchased a package that cost about $13, 825 for the procedures and monitoring for a frozen cycle and up to 3 transfers (did not include meds).
Describe Maureen Kelly's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Kelly would only transfer 1 embryo for the first round, given my age and lack of known fertility issues.
What specific things went wrong at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Society Hill Reproductive Medicine.
There were a few issues with the electronic prescription service, so I had to call several times to get the clinic to send over prescriptions either for my meds or for my HSG. The biggest problem was with my HSG- we asked the clinic to give us a script to take over to the HSG and they reassured us that they “had sent it over”. Got over there and the hospital did not have it. I had to call, the hospital had to call and the procedure was delayed by over an hour with the back and forth. But that’s really the only major glitch we encountered.
Maureen Kelly