Medical SchoolU. of Florida
ResidencyU. of Alabama
FellowshipU. of Alabama
2601 Lake Dr
Raleigh, NC 27607
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Meaghan Bowling to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolina Conceptions to a friend?
When I met with Dr. Bowling in person, she was very thorough and kind. She gave me her email address to communicate with her and we had a good back and forth for a while. Eventually, her responses were very delayed and sometimes she wouldn't answer at all.... A nurse did my first ultrasound, another RE did my second, and yet another RE performed my IUI.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
After I scheduled my IUI last fall, I never saw Dr. Bowling. We set up the plan via email and I called the first day of my period to initiate ultrasound appointments. A nurse did my first ultrasound, another RE did my second, and yet another RE performed my IUI. I was disappointed that Dr. Bowling didn't seem to be involved in my care at all, but I'm fairly new to this world and wasn't sure what to expect. Going forward, I hope to work with her more closely on my personal care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Be clear on the best way to reach her/communicate care options with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
When I met with Dr. Bowling in person, she was very thorough and kind. She gave me her email address to communicate with her and we had a good back and forth for a while. Eventually, her responses were very delayed and sometimes she wouldn't answer at all. The Carolina Conceptions answering system is very long, with a myriad of extensions to reach various people, but connecting directly with my doctor was important to me. Sometimes, a follow-up email will remind her to answer my questions, but overall, I miss the correspondence we had when I was her new patient.
Describe the protocols Meaghan Bowling used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
I took oral letrozole for 5 days before using the trigger shot at home. I had 2 ultrasounds (one with a nurse, one with another RE) and the IUI was performed by a third RE. This RE said with my husband's SA numbers at the time, we shouldn't have scheduled this procedure at all.
I only really remember the one nurse (and maybe she had a different title) that performed my initial ultrasound for IUI. She was very nice and talked me through what we were looking at on the screen.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I wish a patient portal was an option. The answering system when you call is truly ridiculous. You have to listen to an exhaustive number of extension possibilities before you get to the general number at the end. It would be so helpful to be able to send questions or concerns via a secure portal. Most of my other doctors' have them. Otherwise, the rest of the clinic and the staff is fine. Kelly in Finance has been very helpful when I've had questions about what my insurance would cover.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions.
Between the 2 medications and the ultrasounds/IUI procedure, my IUI cost around $1,700.
Describe Meaghan Bowling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Bowling has a positive attitude and has helped uncover a handful of diagnosis that are contributing to infertility.... Sometimes she doesn't have all of the answers because there are so many factors that go into getting and staying pregnant when you have infertility issues.... We began with a saline sonogram to make sure my D&C was complete. In this procedure I learned I had endometriosis and some pretty large cysts.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Meghan thinks before she speaks on giving advice. She took the time to look over bloodwork and ultrasounds before advising next steps. Dr. Bowling has a positive attitude and has helped uncover a handful of diagnosis that are contributing to infertility.
We began with a saline sonogram to make sure my D&C was complete. In this procedure I learned I had endometriosis and some pretty large cysts. Next, we decided to start with follicle monitoring while on clomid and taking a trigger shot. I took progesterone suppositories after the trigger. We did timed intercourse. The clomid was the help boost my ovaries since my AMH was slightly low. The progesterone was given due to my mid cycle spotting and prior miscarriage. The first cycle I responded, the second I didn't. Since I didn't respond the second time surgery to remove the endo was recommended and completed. More bloodwork was completed to check AMH which rose to normal levels and thyroid which showed positive antibodies. This is linked to recurrent miscarriages, so I am on synthroid to combat that.
They are always very friendly and calming. They talk to you to try to get to know you.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
They are excellent at working you in to an appointment. If you need to be seen that morning they allow you to walk in. I like that they have appointments starting as early as 7:30 so that you can still get to work at a reasonable time. The financial staff is super helpful in figuring out the cost of procedures and medicine based on your insurance.
The drugs were $180 a month and the follicle scans were covered for the first 3 cycles. My surgery was $1,700. The scans will now be $250 each with 2-3 per cycle.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Bowling is always very kind and approachable when I have face-to-face appointments with her. She answers all of my questions. I feel comfortable even asking the silly questions. I always have a lot of questions! The only complaint I would have would be her timeliness answering emails. I know she is probably very busy with other patients so I hate to even bring this up. Sometimes she answers emails in an appropriate amount of time but other times it may take a few days before she answers.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Make sure to have all your questions ready before your appointment. Ask follow up questions to make sure you fully understand the process of a procedure/treatment.
Dr. Bowling is very warm and kind when you speak to her at each appointment. She really seems like she cares and wants to answer my questions to the best of her ability. When I miscarried, I could tell she really was sympathetic to what i was going through.
I was on 1500mg/day of Metformin for all treatment cycles. My first two cycles with Dr. Bowling, I took 5mg of Letrozole on days 3-7 with timed intercourse. I did not fall pregnant with either Letrozole cycle. My third treatment - I took 5 mg of letrozole on days 3-7 and added Gonal-F (150 IU) on days 7-9 with timed intercourse. I chose to do this unmonitored to save money. I did not fall pregnant this cycle. IUI #1 - I took 5 mg of letrozole on days 3-7 and Gonal-F (150 IU) on days 7-9. I was monitored. I went in for a baseline ultrasound and and ultrasound on day 10. I had three mature follicles and triggered with Ovidrel. My IUI was done 36 hours after the trigger shot was taken. My husband gave his sample the day of the IUI. I did fall pregnant this cycle but it unfortunately ended in a chemical pregnancy. For IUI #2&3 I did the same treatment as IUI #1 but unfortunately I have not get pregnant.
The nurses at Carolina Conception are super friendly and make you feel very comfortable during ultrasounds and/or procedures. I don't have anything bad to say about the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Everyone is so friendly at Carolina Conceptions. From the front desk, to the doctors, lab staff, and the nurses, I always feel comfortable. I never feel like a number there. It is very clean office. I have not had a bad experience at CC.
My insurance did not cover any fertility expenses other than the consultation but I have a high deductible plan so I still had to pay $177 for my visit. Each ultrasound is about $250. Each IUI is about $400. Plus medication which ranged from $800-$1,200.
Dr. Bowling said she would only transfer one embryo because I was under 35 years old.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other
Visiting Dr. Bowling finally answered a lot of the questions we had about why we were unable to get pregnant after trying for nine months. Unfortunately, a key hormone level came back elevated after two blood tests and I was told IVF was our only option but that donor eggs were the only solution... I came across many women who were in a similar situation that were allowed to try with their own eggs and some were successful. After bringing this up to Dr. Bowling, she pushed again for donor eggs which I assumed (correctly or incorrectly, I'm not sure) that she and her facility were not willing to let me try with my own eggs at least one cycle. This is why my recommendation for her is low and why I have moved on to another facility.
Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Visiting Dr. Bowling finally answered a lot of the questions we had about why we were unable to get pregnant after trying for nine months. Unfortunately, a key hormone level came back elevated after two blood tests and I was told IVF was our only option but that donor eggs were the only solution. After a bit of research, I came across many women who were in a similar situation that were allowed to try with their own eggs and some were successful. After bringing this up to Dr. Bowling, she pushed again for donor eggs which I assumed (correctly or incorrectly, I'm not sure) that she and her facility were not willing to let me try with my own eggs at least one cycle. This is why my recommendation for her is low and why I have moved on to another facility.
If you feel uncomfortable about any abnormal lab result, speak up. I was told initially about my elevated hormone level after the first draw but she said it wasn't anything to worry about at that time. Turns out it was and if I had known that then, I would've made more of an effort to get the repeat labs drawn sooner.
Dr. Bowling was informative and explained everything at a level that we understood. She replied promptly to any questions we had and was accessible via phone or email.
Unfortunately, the timing of our initial visit was just prior to a busy time in our lives where we would be separated for about two and a half months. So there wasn't much Dr. Bowling could do. She did prescribe letrazole to help with ovulation, methlyprogesterone to help start a period for the cycles that dragged on for over 40 days, and levothyroxine to lower my TSH. After reuniting, we used letrazole in a TI cycle but were unsuccessful. During all of this, I was finally able to get a repeat lab drawn and that's when we were told of my elevated hormone level and its effect on our chances of conceiving. Dr. Bowling then prescribed estrogen patches and progesterone pills to help create a more frequent cycle while we decided if we wanted to proceed with IVF and donor eggs (her only solution the situation). However, at the recommendation of another fertility physician, I did not start this treatment protocol.
All the nurses were nice and explained each step of the procedures we completed prior to them starting.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinical was able to get us set up with our initial appointment pretty close to the day we called. Parking and accessing the clinic building/floor were easy and the front desk staff were very nice and friendly. While the waiting room decor was bland, there were plenty of seats that were comfortable. Our insurance didn't cover anything during our visits but we were always made aware of what the "out of pocket" price was for each procedure prior to starting.
We paid out-of-pocket for all of our visits and procedures but they offered a discount. The HSG was originally $850 but we paid $537, semen analysis (including strict morphology) was originally $227 but we paid $83, and initial lab workup was $330 with the follow-up test around $60. Medications were approximately $50 total.
We did not complete IVF at this facility.
Raleigh
Dr. Bowling was very transparent with us about the process from the beginning. She really laid it out there and was straight forward with everything. When communication was necessary with Dr. Bowling, she was very prompt in her responses back, or had someone contact us back in a timely manner. She is very compassionate and professional in her job...I was on the Microdose Lupron protocol, due to diminishing ovarian reserve. - 10 iu microdose lupron - 225 Gonal F - 75 IU Menupeur - 250 Ovidrel (trigger shot) I did not respond well to the stimulants, and no eggs were retrieved.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Be open and detailed about what your conditions are and why you are going through everything. She takes the time to research the best methods to increase your probability of success.
Dr. Bowling was very kind, and talked us through every step. Not only did she help provide answers to our questions, but she also took the time to understand my underlying conditions and reasons for why I chose to go through the IVF process.
The nursing staff was always very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The atmosphere at the clinic is very inviting, and makes you feel welcomed. The ladies that work in the front remember who you are and take the time to talk to you. I am a teacher and they were always very flexible to work around my schedule so I did not have to take off a lot of work.
Although fertility treatment is expensive, the financial team was very helpful and took the time to sit down with you to break down each cost.
2 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr. B [Meaghan Bowling] has been fantastic through this process. She is available whenever we need to get in touch with her, she is extremely knowledgable, and she is there to help and give us the information and make the best decision for us and our family; we don't feel judged which is huge.
2 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. B's strengths are she is smart, well informed, compassionate to the costs and decisions that have to be made, accessible to the patients via phone and email and the information given is accurate. I have yet to come across a weakness so far.
I would tell someone to do research prior to going so that you have questions about the entire process because Dr. B is a wealth of knowledge and will either correct a misconception OR expound on the answer!
Dr. B has been fantastic through this process. She is available whenever we need to get in touch with her, she is extremely knowledgable, and she is there to help and give us the information and make the best decision for us and our family; we don't feel judged which is huge.
I don't know all the process but my wife and I are both Cystic Fibrosis carriers and we had to terminate a pregnancy last year. Dr. B was fantastic in talking through that with us and understanding as to why we wanted to get the PGD and PGS for our next attempt at conception.
Very communicative, sharp, seemed to care about the work they were doing and supported the patients instead of treating us like numbers.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Clinic's strengths are extreme knowledge and with that knowledge help us as a couple grow confidence in the process. Weakness is the price but I know that's not their fault so none.
They were a bit of a shock but that's just the industry. We had an idea coming in and walked away needing to figure out how to fund it. It was definitely something that was surprising but hopefully worth it!
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Bowling is extremely personable, knowledgeable, and friendly. She has taken the time to sit and talk with me several times, even when it may have been inconvenient for her. When I had questions and reservations about the next steps for our fertility journey, she was able to talk me through each step, making sure that I fully understood everything and felt comfortable as we went. She reassured me of my risks, offered practical advice about next steps, and was patient as my husband and I decided. We are hoping to begin the IVF process this summer, and it is largely because of her ability to comfort my concerns and address my needs as an individual, rather than as a statistic. I've been to other fertility clinics in the area and felt very un-heard, rushed, and valued only as a statistic in their office results. Dr. Bowling is NOTHING like that! I have loved every appointment I've had with her and it truly is because of her that we are planning to proceed with IVF to grow our family when I had previously rejected the idea of IVF altogether.
Ask questions! She is patient and willing to answer every concern, and is so sweet and knowledgeable as she answers!
Dr. Bowling is THE BEST! She has always been willing to spend extra time with me if I need it, explain procedures and symptoms extremely thoroughly, and spend time getting to know my husband and me, including our desires and preferences for treatment. I've never felt pressured to do a procedure, or to take things faster than I preferred. I have always felt very well cared for by both nurses and physicians alike!
We started with basic hormone pills (Letrozole), then adjusted to try to trigger a greater response when we didn't see the follicles we wanted. Then, Dr. Bowling added a small steroid to help the growth of the follicles on my left side because it wasn't responding as well--and we saw great results with that! Then, we did an HSG test to check for scar tissue from a previous ectopic pregnancy, and that is when Dr. Bowling diagnosed the tubal blockage on the right side. From there, we also discussed that my condition is not-quite PCOS, and Dr. Bowling explaining that because of the tubal blockage + ovary dysfunction, our chances of getting pregnant through TIC or IUI were extremely low. Dr. Bowling then met with me for nearly an hour to discuss both IVF and embryo adoption, giving me the time and space to process all the information. Our next steps will be to begin the IVF process this summer, when I am not teaching.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terri)
Terri is THE BEST!!!!! Actually, every nurse I've seen has been amazing, but Terri has been so incredibly helpful every step of the way! As a teacher who works 30 minutes from the office, Terri was able to leave extremely detailed voicemails when I couldn't answer the phone, and meet with me in the hallways after visits to address any questions or concerns. She's been so incredibly helpful and informative, plus I love that she is very straight forward in her communication. She is not wanting to waste anyone's time, and I so appreciate her!!!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The woman at the front desk has been somewhat abrasive to me on several occasions, even to the point of my delaying the start of treatment with the office for almost 8 months because of her rudeness. She was very unaccommodating when I explained my schedule as a teacher 30 minutes away, especially in regards to my difficulty and inflexibility with scheduling. However, everyone else on the staff is extremely considerate, informative, and accommodating!
All nurse visits were approx. $35, but doctor visits were $85. Prescriptions were varying in prices, but most of the pills were fairly affordable. The Ovidrel was expensive, but mostly due to my insurance. About to start IVF and were quoted at roughly $18,000 for the procedure + medications.
Since we haven't started the IVF process yet, I don't know definitively, but she has definitely recommended that we are more conservative early on because I am just now 30 and there is not much of a reason to be overly aggressive.
Raleigh
Dr. Bowling added a personal touch to her treatment. I felt like she really cared about our success and was patient and caring when we met and I would share concerns and become emotional from past experiences. She also performed a hysteroscopy and walked me to the operating room. She met with my husband and provided a full explanation of her findings as well. She went above and beyond my expectations for providing a personal, yet very professional, consultation and service throughout the process...
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Schedule an appointment to meet with her before beginning the process. She is kind and willing to discuss the entire process and answer any questions you may have. I'd also find out what her on-call schedule is so you can make sure she's available when scheduling the retrieval/transfer. The dates and timing are very dependent on the timing of the cycle but it's good to know ahead of time. If she's not scheduled to provide transfers/retrievals the day you're scheduled one of her colleagues will be there and they're all really great as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center?
She made time to meet and speak with me before beginning a new cycle. She'd stop and say hello and ask how things were going when I was in the office and she would pass by. Dr. Bowling called me directly, not a nurse, to let me know about my positive pregnancy test.
I always knew I'd hear from a nurse later in the day. If I had any questions I could call the office and a nurse would return my call by the end of the day. I could also message them online via Emory Portal and my emails were always responded to by the end of day.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is very clean and organized. I usually didn't have to wait long for my scheduled appointments. A couple of appointments I waited around 20 minutes if they waiting room was full. The front office staff are very friendly and would let the nurses know when I arrived. I skipped my nurse consultation for an overview of shot protocol which also provided the financial planning consultation. Because of that I was never billed during the process and received a call from Emory's billing department demanding payment. I had inquired to the nurses and the financial consultant for the office during my visits and they assured me someone would contact to schedule payment or financing options. That never happened so I ended up having to take care of everything in a rushed manner to avoid getting sent to a collection agency. This aspect would be the weakest area for the office. I don't believe the business manager runs a very tight ship in that regard. Had I known, I would have called the financing company on my own and made arrangements during my cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Emory University Reproductive Center.
I financed a fresh cycle with frozen and ICSI for around $11,000. My insurance covers labs so I didn't need to include those in my loan.
Emory University Reproductive Center
Atlanta
Dr Bowling explained all our options for fertility treatment while giving is time to ask questions. She was compassionate and understanding of our situation and treated us as we were very import to her. She was Genuine in wanting the absolute best for us and the end goal was for us to have a successful healthy pregnancy.... Dr bowling reviews all options and explains pros and cons of all.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr bowling reviews all options and explains pros and cons of all.
Dr Bowling was very easy to talk to and explained all our options while giving us time to ask questions.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Carolina conceptions have the kindest staff. Always willing to help in anyway they can . Making appointments is always easy and you truly feel they care about the success of your infertility journey. I would highly recommend carolina conceptions for anyone stuggling with infertility.
Raleigh
I only saw her [Dr. Bowling] the first day when we decided to do IVF. She did not tell me if i should transfer just one embryo or more. I had more communication with the nurses than her. I thought that she was going to be the one doing my egg retrival and embryo transfer but she was not...She never talked to me about any procedure...ask her more questions at the beginnig...I felt like the nurses made me feel like a human...My appointments were usually pretty fast.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
I only saw her the first day when we decided to do IVF. She did not tell me if i should transfer just one embryo or more. I had more communication with the nurses than her. I thought that she was going to be the one doing my egg retrival and embryo transfer but she was not.
To ask her more questions at the beginnig
I felt like the nurses made me feel like a human. They were always asking me how I felt and explained everything to me.
She never talked to me about any procedure
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
She was always telling what she was going to do next. She always made conversation with me. She explained everything really detailed!!
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk staff are really nice. My appointments were usually pretty fast.
Ivf was aroud 10,000 and each visit for ultrasound and blood work was about 300 dollars.
She did not tell me what was better
2 IUI, IVF
Really like Dr. Bowling, did a great job explaining everything. I have been a challenging client for her as most of of my treatments have not gone as planned. Dr. Bowling has always explained what next steps look like and how we are going to move forward.... I like Dr. Bowling, but it get very confusing when you see multiple doctors.... I would suggest being able to meet all of them and choose who your primary doctor will be. This will lessen the confusion with results and next steps.
2 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
I like Dr. Bowling, but it get very confusing when you see multiple doctors. I would suggest sticking with your clients unless out on PTO/vacation.
She has a great bedside manner, and seems to care about her patients.
Very friendly, always willing to answer my questions. Very positive and wished us luck after each and every appointment.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
You will see all the doctors in the clinic, it can get confusing when each of them tells you something different.
Currently we are up around $25,000
Raleigh
She [Dr. Bowling] was very kind and assured me that she would keep working with me to help me achieve parenthood...She doesn’t sugarcoat the situation, if she thinks it’s not going to work she tell you and give you the reasoning behind why certain procedure won’t work...she always greets you with a smile. Very informative and reassuring...She’s very down to earth and will make you feel comfortable
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
She has been nothing but the best, she always greets you with a smile. Very informative and reassuring. She doesn’t sugarcoat the situation, if she thinks it’s not going to work she tell you and give you the reasoning behind why certain procedure won’t work.
She’s very down to earth and will make you feel comfortable
She was very kind and assured me that she would keep working with me to help me achieve parenthood.
Very nice and welcoming
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Check in and check out are pretty straightforward, they are a busy clinic so having patience when checking in and out as needed but other than that the clinic is great. They always welcome you and with a smile very friendly
Raleigh
Very considerate and took all concerns seriously. Dr. Bowling Was thorough and always was glad to see us like we were her only patients even when she was busy! She went above and beyond making time for an unscheduled ultrasound. Always considerate of our time since we were from out of town...IUI with lexaprole and an ovidrel trigger shot.
Go for it!
She was considerate of our situation and took the time to answer all of our questions and emails!
IUI with lexaprole and an ovidrel trigger shot.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Loved this clinic! Very compassionate and always helpful! Their front desk/appointment line staff are helpful and sweet!
250 first ultra sound 300 second 450 inseminatio
Raleigh
Amazing physician, who cares about patients and her [Dr. Meaghan Bowling] work. Clearly loves what she does and wants to help others succeed in their infertility journey. She took the time to go through the whole process, answer questions, and was available when needed.... Ocps x two weeks Then on cd 5, Gonal f 225 nightly with 75/75 of menopur x8 days Three monitoring visits, on cd 9, 11, 13 with 2x ovidrel on cd 13 for cd 15 retrieval
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Amazing physician, who cares about patients and her work. Clearly loves what she does and wants to help others succeed in their infertility journey. She took the time to go through the whole process, answer questions, and was available when needed.
Understand that changes may occur in cycles and that is to give you the best chance of success
Took time and genuinely cared. Excellent physician and bedside manner. Very knowledable.
$11,000 Insurance covered meds for one IVF cycle
Strongly recommend elective single embryo transfer