6.1

1124 Gallery Park Blvd
Midtown-Wilmington, NC 28412
919.782.5911

2021 - 2022, Consult
I didn't feel like Dr. Bowling really listened to me during our consultations...I felt that I was treated as "a patient of a certain age" rather than as an individual...She said I would never have better than a 3-5% chance with my own eggs. Then she suggested IUI. When I asked her if I would have more than a 3-5% chance, she said "No." (why would I want to spend more money for no greater chance of conception?)...
A strength [of Carolina Conceptions] is that they are in a good location...Dr. Bowling was not a good fit for me and I decided to seek treatment at a different clinic...In only a few months of working with [the nursing staff], there were several errors in communication...The prescription request was botched because the nurse sending it claimed I was seeking additional fertility treatment (I wasn't), so it caused an issue with insurance coverage.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
I felt that I was treated as "a patient of a certain age" rather than as an individual. Simple errors were made that cost me time. My prescription for Clomid was sent along with information that I was also undergoing IVF (I was not) and delayed my ability to get the prescription covered by insurance. In a later consultation with Dr. Bowling I asked her if she could point me to any additional research/reading about age-related infertility (expounding on the 3-5% chance of conception) but she said that it "was just something fertility doctors are told" and she couldn't direct me to any further reading. I got a communication from the clinic that referenced my working with a different doctor (I wasn't) and my pursuit of IVF (I wasn't - I had only asked about cost but when I found out said I wouldn't be pursuing it). All in all, I did not feel like a respected/known patient at Carolina Conceptions and decided to seek treatment elsewhere.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Give the consultation a try. She is nice. Perhaps you will have a better experience than I did.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
I didn't feel like Dr. Bowling really listened to me during our consultations. She made assumptions about the type of procedure/care I would pursue given my age and the questions I asked of her. Twice this resulted in poor communication to staff at Carolina Conceptions who then communicated the wrong information to me.
Describe the protocols Meaghan Bowling used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
Clomid 5mg twice a day. We only discussed other methods. She said I would never have better than a 3-5% chance with my own eggs. Then she suggested IUI. When I asked her if I would have more than a 3-5% chance, she said "No." (why would I want to spend more money for no greater chance of conception?)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
In only a few months of working with them, there were several errors in communication.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
A strength is that they are in a good location. A friend of mine worked with Dr. Park and had a good experience. Dr. Bowling was not a good fit for me and I decided to seek treatment at a different clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions.
Copays for consultation appointments
What specific things went wrong at Carolina Conceptions?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
The prescription request was botched because the nurse sending it claimed I was seeking additional fertility treatment (I wasn't), so it caused an issue with insurance coverage. When I called to schedule an HSG and asked about timing, no one mentioned to me that I shouldn't have intercourse for 24-48 hours afterwards. I later read this online.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I encountered many challenges throughout my time working with this doctor [Dr. Meaghan Bowling]. Each time I felt like her main goal was to get rid of me. I felt she lacked compassion and wasn't a "cheerleader" for me at all...I'd been told I needed to purchase eggs by a particular date in order to proceed...then was diagnosed with an auto immune disease. I reached out to my dr to explain what was going on...She won't proceed with me because I didn't buy my eggs by the deadline even though I had a very good reason to hold off. Once I got all the tests back and confirmed I was okay to proceed, I wanted to do so.. but now she won't work with me.
I'd been told I needed to purchase eggs by a particular date in order to proceed [with Carolina Conceptions]. I had every intention of doing that but then was diagnosed with an auto immune disease. I reached out to my dr to explain what was going on and how important it was for me to get all the facts before investing 10,000-30,000 non refundable dollars on eggs. And as such, I would need meet her deadline for buying eggs. I did, however, assure them that I'd meet the deadline for pregnancy before the end of the calendar year which had been the second deadline she imposed on me. She won't proceed with me because I didn't buy my eggs by the deadline even though I had a very good reason to hold off. Once I got all the tests back and confirmed I was okay to proceed, I wanted to do so.. but now she won't work with me.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
There is so much to my story, I won't be able to cover it all here. But in a nutshell, I had many obstacles during this process. REAL obstacles, not anything made up or anything I could've prevented/avoided. I would hope a doctor in this situation would realize the stress I was under and work to give me hope and encouragement. Instead, I was made to feel like a waste of her time and a nuisance.
If you are an 'older' woman or a single woman.... I would look elsewhere. I feel she has a bias against these scenarios and holds them against her patients. If a woman who was younger and married encountered my exact challenges, I suspect she'd have treated them much differently.
I encountered many challenges throughout my time working with this doctor. Each time I felt like her main goal was to get rid of me. I felt she lacked compassion and wasn't a "cheerleader" for me at all.
She didn't do much beyond a consultation and then making me feel horrible about myself when I was unable to proceed in a quick fashion due to things out of my control such as an unexpected medical diagnosis and the discovery that the eggs I'd paid $5k to have held for me had been sold to someone else. These were issues I didn't cause and that required my working through before jumping in. She had no patience.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
I didn't really deal with the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I suspect that if I were younger and married, my experience would've been quite different. So for most people this clinic is probably okay. If you are don't fit the perfect scenario as far as your age, marital status etc.... you won't be treated favorably.
Since I had only consultations with her my costs were minimal. I don't have an exact dollar amount. But... this was the 2nd doctor who treated me. I'd spent a good deal more with my first doctor but then had to move out of state and start all over... which is why I ended up with Dr. Bowling.
Describe Meaghan Bowling's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
I know she did have an opinion about single embryo transfer but... I was okay with that since I am single. While I'd have loved twins... I think I'd have a full plate with just one. So I didn't take issue with her on that.
What specific things went wrong at Carolina Conceptions?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
I'd been told I needed to purchase eggs by a particular date in order to proceed. I had every intention of doing that but then was diagnosed with an auto immune disease. I reached out to my dr to explain what was going on and how important it was for me to get all the facts before investing 10,000-30,000 non refundable dollars on eggs. And as such, I would need meet her deadline for buying eggs. I did, however, assure them that I'd meet the deadline for pregnancy before the end of the calendar year which had been the second deadline she imposed on me. She won't proceed with me because I didn't buy my eggs by the deadline even though I had a very good reason to hold off. Once I got all the tests back and confirmed I was okay to proceed, I wanted to do so.. but now she won't work with me.
Raleigh

Visiting Dr. Bowling finally answered a lot of the questions we had about why we were unable to get pregnant after trying for nine months. Unfortunately, a key hormone level came back elevated after two blood tests and I was told IVF was our only option but that donor eggs were the only solution... I came across many women who were in a similar situation that were allowed to try with their own eggs and some were successful. After bringing this up to Dr. Bowling, she pushed again for donor eggs which I assumed (correctly or incorrectly, I'm not sure) that she and her facility were not willing to let me try with my own eggs at least one cycle. This is why my recommendation for her is low and why I have moved on to another facility.
All the nurses [at Carolina Conceptions] were nice and explained each step of the procedures we completed prior to them starting...We paid out-of-pocket for all of our visits and procedures but they offered a discount. The HSG was originally $850 but we paid $537, semen analysis (including strict morphology) was originally $227 but we paid $83, and initial lab workup was $330 with the follow-up test around $60. Medications were approximately $50 total.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Visiting Dr. Bowling finally answered a lot of the questions we had about why we were unable to get pregnant after trying for nine months. Unfortunately, a key hormone level came back elevated after two blood tests and I was told IVF was our only option but that donor eggs were the only solution. After a bit of research, I came across many women who were in a similar situation that were allowed to try with their own eggs and some were successful. After bringing this up to Dr. Bowling, she pushed again for donor eggs which I assumed (correctly or incorrectly, I'm not sure) that she and her facility were not willing to let me try with my own eggs at least one cycle. This is why my recommendation for her is low and why I have moved on to another facility.
If you feel uncomfortable about any abnormal lab result, speak up. I was told initially about my elevated hormone level after the first draw but she said it wasn't anything to worry about at that time. Turns out it was and if I had known that then, I would've made more of an effort to get the repeat labs drawn sooner.
Dr. Bowling was informative and explained everything at a level that we understood. She replied promptly to any questions we had and was accessible via phone or email.
Unfortunately, the timing of our initial visit was just prior to a busy time in our lives where we would be separated for about two and a half months. So there wasn't much Dr. Bowling could do. She did prescribe letrazole to help with ovulation, methlyprogesterone to help start a period for the cycles that dragged on for over 40 days, and levothyroxine to lower my TSH. After reuniting, we used letrazole in a TI cycle but were unsuccessful. During all of this, I was finally able to get a repeat lab drawn and that's when we were told of my elevated hormone level and its effect on our chances of conceiving. Dr. Bowling then prescribed estrogen patches and progesterone pills to help create a more frequent cycle while we decided if we wanted to proceed with IVF and donor eggs (her only solution the situation). However, at the recommendation of another fertility physician, I did not start this treatment protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
All the nurses were nice and explained each step of the procedures we completed prior to them starting.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinical was able to get us set up with our initial appointment pretty close to the day we called. Parking and accessing the clinic building/floor were easy and the front desk staff were very nice and friendly. While the waiting room decor was bland, there were plenty of seats that were comfortable. Our insurance didn't cover anything during our visits but we were always made aware of what the "out of pocket" price was for each procedure prior to starting.
We did not complete IVF at this facility.
Raleigh

When I met with Dr. Bowling in person, she was very thorough and kind. She gave me her email address to communicate with her and we had a good back and forth for a while. Eventually, her responses were very delayed and sometimes she wouldn't answer at all.... A nurse did my first ultrasound, another RE did my second, and yet another RE performed my IUI.
I wish a patient portal was an option. The answering system [Carolina Conceptions] when you call is truly ridiculous. You have to listen to an exhaustive number of extension possibilities before you get to the general number at the end. It would be so helpful to be able to send questions or concerns via a secure portal.... I only really remember the one nurse (and maybe she had a different title) that performed my initial ultrasound for IUI. She was very nice and talked me through what we were looking at on the screen.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
After I scheduled my IUI last fall, I never saw Dr. Bowling. We set up the plan via email and I called the first day of my period to initiate ultrasound appointments. A nurse did my first ultrasound, another RE did my second, and yet another RE performed my IUI. I was disappointed that Dr. Bowling didn't seem to be involved in my care at all, but I'm fairly new to this world and wasn't sure what to expect. Going forward, I hope to work with her more closely on my personal care.
Be clear on the best way to reach her/communicate care options with her.
When I met with Dr. Bowling in person, she was very thorough and kind. She gave me her email address to communicate with her and we had a good back and forth for a while. Eventually, her responses were very delayed and sometimes she wouldn't answer at all. The Carolina Conceptions answering system is very long, with a myriad of extensions to reach various people, but connecting directly with my doctor was important to me. Sometimes, a follow-up email will remind her to answer my questions, but overall, I miss the correspondence we had when I was her new patient.
I took oral letrozole for 5 days before using the trigger shot at home. I had 2 ultrasounds (one with a nurse, one with another RE) and the IUI was performed by a third RE. This RE said with my husband's SA numbers at the time, we shouldn't have scheduled this procedure at all.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I wish a patient portal was an option. The answering system when you call is truly ridiculous. You have to listen to an exhaustive number of extension possibilities before you get to the general number at the end. It would be so helpful to be able to send questions or concerns via a secure portal. Most of my other doctors' have them. Otherwise, the rest of the clinic and the staff is fine. Kelly in Finance has been very helpful when I've had questions about what my insurance would cover.
Between the 2 medications and the ultrasounds/IUI procedure, my IUI cost around $1,700.

2018, Consult
It was the very first appointment ever with any fertility specialist and it was extremely quick with IVF the only option. She [Dr. Bowling] went over a print out of the IVF process and let me know how I would schedule a nurse visit to begin. She asked very little questions and gave very little response to my concerns. Not that she ignored them but I did not feel as if she wanted to address them. I felt like a number because the appointment was so quick, my husband was not able to be there yet they wanted me to schedule a nurse visit to begin the cycle at that time.
I do not like the fact that at my first consult (with my husband not even in attendance) I was in and out quickly with IVF as the planned course of action. They [Carolina Conceptions] wanted me to schedule the nurse class (where you also paid in full) upon checkout for the next couple of weeks. It seemed very quick and like a number to be in and out. While I appreciate wanting to help me (we would love to be pregnant in 2 weeks!) it felt as if it was without my questions, concerns and fears addressed.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
We only visited one time. After that visit I knew she was not the Doctor for me. I had no doubt she was extremely knowledgeable and capable, but personality and the way I felt rushed with very little info made me switch to another clinic.
Have an extensive list of questions and do not let the appointment end without them being addressed even if you have to push for that. Ask for additional tests (at the time I did not know what to ask or that I even should) as she did not give any other options.
First I have to say I hate giving negative reviews but I was not impressed with this office. Dr. Bowling was very welcoming upon introduction however was very blunt. While I appreciated her being straightforward, that is not my personality type. It was the very first appointment ever with any fertility specialist and it was extremely quick with IVF the only option. She went over a print out of the IVF process and let me know how I would schedule a nurse visit to begin. She asked very little questions and gave very little response to my concerns. Not that she ignored them but I did not feel as if she wanted to address them. I felt like a number because the appointment was so quick, my husband was not able to be there yet they wanted me to schedule a nurse visit to begin the cycle at that time.
I only had first consult.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
I only met with the lab and the check in for vitals etc. They were both friendly and warm.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk staff was SO welcoming. They answered questions and made you feel more comfortable. I do not like the fact that at my first consult (with my husband not even in attendance) I was in and out quickly with IVF as the planned course of action. They wanted me to schedule the nurse class (where you also paid in full) upon checkout for the next couple of weeks. It seemed very quick and like a number to be in and out. While I appreciate wanting to help me (we would love to be pregnant in 2 weeks!) it felt as if it was without my questions, concerns and fears addressed.
I do know for my case, 1 embryo would have been the approach
Raleigh

Dr. Bowling is friendly and compassionate, but she is a bit passive and wishy washy. If you're looking for someone who is blunt, Dr. Bowling is not the right doctor for you. She explains her rationale behind treatment, but in my tough case I've had to do most of the thinking outside the box....Dr. Bowling, however, was willing to actually let me attempt IVF despite an expected poor response. One of the other doctors at the clinic told me he would not go to retrieval for less than 3 follicles, and he didn't think I'd make that minimum.
The front desk staff [Carolina Conceptions] are friendly and often remember my name. They have been more than willing to help direct me to the right person for my various questions. The financial coordinators have been a little more businesslike but are efficient and willing to answer all questions.... I've only just started working with Taylor for my upcoming IVF cycle. She was very friendly and explained things well out our education class. She has been very responsive to questions via email.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Bowling is friendly and compassionate, but she is a bit passive and wishy washy. If you're looking for someone who is blunt, Dr. Bowling is not the right doctor for you. She explains her rationale behind treatment, but in my tough case I've had to do most of the thinking outside the box. Thankfully I'm the type of person who will do my own in-depth research, including searching medical journals and reviewing research studies, to educate myself on the most recent information available. Because of this, I've been able to ask more in-depth questions that have led to treatment options that may not have otherwise been suggested. Dr. Bowling, however, was willing to actually let me attempt IVF despite an expected poor response. One of the other doctors at the clinic told me he would not go to retrieval for less than 3 follicles, and he didn't think I'd make that minimum.
Do your own research and ask her about your findings and whether different approaches may be worth trying.
Dr. Bowling is pleasant, yet I have to ask a lot of questions, make suggestions, and generally steer her toward thinking outside the box. She has, however, been very open to trying new things based on research-based suggestions I've made. The clinic overall doesn't really provide a "this is what happens next" approach. I have had to just jump in and make it happen on my own.
Dr. Bowling explained that my body is working very hard to produce follicles each cycle, so additional FSH provided via gonadotropins may not be helpful. However, she concluded that I should try high doses to attempt to recruit more follicles. TI cycle #1: 300 iu Follistim, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel trigger. Expected poor response to gonadotropins, hence the higher dose. I had an early recruited 14mm follicle at the baseline ultrasound that the attending RE thought was a cyst. Stimmed anyway, and only the lone follicle grew. Triggered after only a few days of Follistim. Negative test. TI cycle #2: Start Estradiol on day 20 of previous cycle. 7.5 mg Letrozole for first 5 days + 375 iu Follistim, Cetrotide, Ovidrel Trigger. Recruited 3 follicles, last ultrasound was on a Saturday and the nurse made the call to trigger. Two were large enough to be mature at trigger. Negative test. TI cycle #3: Start Estradiol on day 20 of previous cycle. Started 7.5 mg Letrozole and 450 iu Follistim on CD1. Stimmed for 12 days, four follicles grew, but not concurrently in size. Only two were large enough to be mature at trigger. Negative test. Currently planning to start a testosterone-primed Microdose Lupron Flare IVF cycle with Omnitrope. The hope is that adding testosterone and HGH will help recruit more and better quality follicles. The Microdose Lupron Flare protocol is often used for women with low ovarian reserve or who are poor responders.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Taylor)
I've only just started working with Taylor for my upcoming IVF cycle. She was very friendly and explained things well out our education class. She has been very responsive to questions via email. The other nurses I've worked with have also all been very friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk staff are friendly and often remember my name. They have been more than willing to help direct me to the right person for my various questions. The financial coordinators have been a little more businesslike but are efficient and willing to answer all questions.
My medication and ultrasounds/labs were covered by insurance, so only had to pay a copay for procedures (2-6 ultrasounds each cycle ranging from $30-$55). My medications for my first cycle cost $2,000+, which met my pharmacy deductible for the year. Office visit copays are $85. Medications for my IVF cycle will cost about $5,000+ and the IVF procedure (with Service Worker discount, PGS biopsy, anesthesia, and FET) totals $12,300. Ultrasounds and PGS testing are not included in this price.
Dr. Bowling prefers single embryo transfer.
Raleigh
I only saw her [Dr. Bowling] the first day when we decided to do IVF. She did not tell me if i should transfer just one embryo or more. I had more communication with the nurses than her. I thought that she was going to be the one doing my egg retrival and embryo transfer but she was not...She never talked to me about any procedure...ask her more questions at the beginnig...I felt like the nurses made me feel like a human...My appointments were usually pretty fast.
The front desk staff [at Carolina Conceptions] are really nice. My appointments were usually pretty fast...[Nurse] She was always telling what she was going to do next. She always made conversation with me. She explained everything really detailed!!...Ivf was aroud 10,000 and each visit for ultrasound and blood work was about 300 dollars....I felt like the nurses made me feel like a human. They were always asking me how I felt and explained everything to me.
How was your experience with Meaghan Bowling at Carolina Conceptions?
I only saw her the first day when we decided to do IVF. She did not tell me if i should transfer just one embryo or more. I had more communication with the nurses than her. I thought that she was going to be the one doing my egg retrival and embryo transfer but she was not.
To ask her more questions at the beginnig
She never talked to me about any procedure
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk staff are really nice. My appointments were usually pretty fast.
She did not tell me what was better