Methodist For Women

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Nebraska
ResidencyU. of Oregon
FellowshipU. of Michigan
717 N. 190th Plaza
Omaha, NE 68022
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Meghan Oakes to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Methodist For Women to a friend?
I think she [Dr. Meghan Oakes] has a realistic approach, and talked us through our options. She had both of her children through IVF, so I feel like she can relate to our struggle and she knows what we are going through. She was extremely compassionate, especially when we went through an ectopic pregnancy after an iui. I got pregnant on my first IVF cycle and I’m currently 13 weeks along!...I feel like she really took the time to get to know my husband and I during our consult and answered all of our questions and gave us advice for the best possible outcome. I had an ectopic pregnancy after an iui that was really hard, and we kept trying which resulted in a positive test from my first IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
I think she has a realistic approach, and talked us through our options. She had both of her children through IVF, so I feel like she can relate to our struggle and she knows what we are going through. She was extremely compassionate, especially when we went through an ectopic pregnancy after an iui. I got pregnant on my first IVF cycle and I’m currently 13 weeks along!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
Read some fertility books, get to know your body and your cycle. Seek out as much information as you can and go in educated enough to ask good questions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
Describe the protocols Meghan Oakes used in your cycles at Methodist For Women and their degree of success.
Day 3 bloodwork and ultrasound, sonogram, 2 rounds with injections with iui. Result was ectopic pregnancy. Did IVF and got pregnant on my first cycle, and have 3 PGS tested eggs on ice!
Very friendly staff. When I call they know exactly what my treatment method is, and they are fantastic at walking me through everything I want to know and answering any questions I have. I’ve called back many times with additional questions and they were always wonderful at telling me exactly what I needed to know! They are also extremely responsive and get back to me within the hour.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
I have no complaints and have had nothing but positive experiences during the super difficult process. I wouldn’t change a thing. The doctors and nurses are top notch and I’m so glad that my OBGYN recommended this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women.
I'm trying to remember, I think the initial consult was an hour and a half and was a couple hundred dollars. The day 3 bloodwork and ultrasound was a couple hundred and the injections were about $4k per cycle. During the consultation I received a price list that was very detailed so you know what the cost is up front. I have united health care and my plan covered about 25% of my bills, which was a pleasant surprise!
Describe Meghan Oakes's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Methodist For Women.
Because of my age she initially suggested transferring two, but since we did pgs testing on the embryos we only transferred one which was successful!
Omaha
We always felt like we were a priority to her [Dr. Oakes]. We also saw her every appointment, not just a nurse which was very reassuring to us and made us feel like we were in the best hands. She would take as much time as we needed to go over any questions or concerns we had...whether that be a phone call or when we saw her at appointments. She was caring and warm and made us feel so comfortable.
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
Dr Oakes was by far the best doctor I have ever seen. The day we met with her for our first consultation after coming from another Omaha clinic, we knew we had made the right choice in switching. My biggest and only regret to this day is not starting with her. She was warm and compassionate and made us feel so comfortable under her care. She took the time to explain things to us and we saw her at every visit which was huge for us. It made me feel like she was completely invested in our case and also calmed any anxieties I had throughout the process. At 30wks pregnant now, I can honestly say not a day goes by that we don't miss seeing her--her ability to connect with her patients on a personal level is remarkable. While the process itself can knock you down, she's right there to pick you up and keep things moving in a way that gives you hope. She is truly amazing at what she does!
Utilize her knowledge...take it all in and do as you are told! Trust the process and know you are in the best, most capable hands!
Dr Oakes always took the time to answer any questions we had, whether that be a phone call or when we saw her at appointments. She was caring and warm and made us feel so comfortable. We always felt like we were a priority to her. We also saw her every appointment, not just a nurse which was very reassuring to us and made us feel like we were in the best hands. She would take as much time as we needed to go over any questions or concerns we had.
I don't remember the exact protocol Dr Oakes had me on. I know I stimmed a few days longer than in my previous cycles under the care of another physician. I believe I used 375 units of Gonal-F for approximately 11 days, with Cetrotide added a little over halfway through. Retrieval was on day 13. I had 19 eggs retrieved, 7 day 5 embryos resulted, and 2 were PGS normal.
The nurses were always available for questions or concerns, and if they couldn't provide you with an immediate answer, they would either talk to the doctor right away and get back to you, or have the doctor call you. They were also very prompt in returning any phone calls. Overall, they seemed very knowledgeable and were always very friendly.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Strengths: I had always heard that this particular clinic runs more like a business, and to a certain extent, I would agree with that. But only in a positive sense. They're very efficient and they have things running exactly how they need to to get from one patient to the next, all while giving you the best individualized care possible. Weaknesses: none
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Methodist For Women.
Monitoring appointments were from 630-9am with no set time. You were seen in the order you arrived. Sometimes the wait was a little long, but we expected it and it didn't bother us at all. We knew we would be seen when it was our turn.
We were quoted up front $25,000 for the overall cost of one IVF cycle, which included retrieval, transfer, storage of embryos, ICSI, drug cost and PGS genetic testing. We ended up spending right around that.
I appreciated that Dr Oakes let you, as the patient, make that decision and didn't seem to judge you based on the choice you made. She gave us the facts regarding single vs. multiple and let us choose.
Omaha
Dr.Oakes listens to your concerns and is genuinely interested in your wants and needs. She knows exactly who you are in you walk into clinic...While going through treatment, another medical issue arose and she called 3 or 4 different specialists to help my condition. I felt like she truly cared. I trust Dr.Oakes and know she won't just do a cycle to appease me. She wants to make sure its right and that I have optimal chances for a positive result.
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
Dr. Oakes cares about you as a person. She has great bedside manner and listens to your wants and needs. She will answer any questions you have and do so in terms you can understand. While going through treatment, another medical issue arose and she called 3 or 4 different specialists to help my condition. I felt like she truly cared. I trust Dr.Oakes and know she won't just do a cycle to appease me. She wants to make sure its right and that I have optimal chances for a positive result.
Make sure you ask questions while you are in clinic and can ask face to face. Office staff returns calls promptly, but sometimes I just want to talk to Dr.Oakes.
Dr.Oakes used the first IUI cycle to judge how my body responded to the FSH injectable. The next two cycles it seemed like we found the optimal dose. She ordered 6 days of FSH and then ultrasound and lab work to check follicle growth. Next, ultrasounds every other day (usually just 1-2 more), then HCG trigger and IUI 36 hours after trigger.
There are some great nurses and some that showed less compassion. The staff returns calls promptly and will answer any questions you may have. If they don't know the answer, they will get Dr.Oakes help.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Very organized and clean. Also very prompt and fast. They have open clinic hours from 6:30am-9 M-F which makes finding a time to get in easy.
You pay for the medication (which ran me approximately $1000/cycle) at the pharmacy towards the beginning of cycle, and then the IUI ($800) at the time of IUI. Ultrasounds and lab work get billed to insurance and we haven't received a bill for that (having been using Dr.Oakes for 6 months).
We have not reached the embryo transfer yet as still giving IUIs a chance.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
Dr Oakes is very compassionate, she will continue to switch things up as she sees fit when our first IVF failed. She told me she would let me know if we should give up and not waste our money but she was pretty confident she could get us pregant, with a low egg quality, the first IVF didn't work, we started again the following month and are pregnant with our miracle boy, due in July. No negatives for Dr Oakes, just positive to say.
She is wonderful, carrying and will treat you like family yet get the job done.
Dr Oakes is an amazing doctor. I had first (3 years back) visited with her partner, i was so turned off by her, she was rude and not very compassionate. Dr Oakes is just that. She treated me like someone who mattered and wanted to use us achieved a pregnancy where the previous doctor said he couldn't help us. No baby yet, but we are due in July. Dr Oakes said because of my low egg quality and my age 35 we should start the process all right after, she said that is what she would tell her loved ones. I just can't express enough how wonderful she is.
I was on the highest dosage the first IVF, we had to be on the shots for 18 days which is quite long as my eggs weren't growing. When we decided to do the whole process again, she decided to switch up (one shot in am, one in pm) as well as add two additional shots (am/pm) of lupron. Happy to say, 2nd time it worked, switching up, helped.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Methodist For Women. (Assigned nurse: For the most part, Moncia helped us. )
Monica was amazing, she really cared about her patients. Took the time to answer all questions, even if same question multi times. I can't say enough good things about her. There were some nurses who were not very friendly, but i didn't work with them very often nor remember their names.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Dr Oakes is amazing, Dr Maud is no friendly but gets the job done. If you can stand that, i like compassionate so i choose Dr oakes. Everyone was wonderful.
It was first come first serve, which i loved. There was no waiting times because they were behind with the previous patient, if you came first, you were seen first.
We spent a total of 38,000 for both IVFs we did, this included medicine of which the first IVF was more expensive because of the long days we had to do meds. We pay for all out of pocket, our insurance didn't cover one penny.
Dr Oakes suggested we transfer two embryos each time, which we did. It resulted in a single baby on our 2nd IVF
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
Dr Oakes is very personable, very knowledgable, and very compassionate. She always presented all of the information to us, gave us her recommendation and the reasoning, and then let us discuss and make our own decision. During our process, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, and so Dr Oakes recommended I get a mammogram even though I wasn't 40 yet. I ended up having to get a biopsy, and Dr Oakes called me on a Sunday with the results...a week before the oncologist. We recently miscarried, and Dr Oakes gave us so much compassion and kindness, along with knowledge and a little need humor to help ease our pain and our worries. She performed my D&C and again her kindness and compassion, mixed with her confidence and knowledge reassured us about the process. She had both of her sons via IVF and I think that insight helps.
She's in high demand...we have very few resources and she's great...so if you are headed in this direction, start now.
Whenever I go in, everyone uses my name. Dr Oakes is very personable and follows up via phone when the situation warrants.
We started our process with our OB-GYN, who referred us to Dr Oakes after no success. Due to my age, we had only been going through it for about two years. Dr Oakes had us start with some retesting of levels. We learned that I was no longer producing eggs. I had my right ovary removed five years ago along with a dermoid cyst. That, combined with the PCOS, and my age and weight were all probably contributing factors. At this point we discussed our options. After meeting with Dr Oakes again, where she provided us with a lot of great information and resources regarding using donor eggs, that's the route we decided to go. We went on the wait list and last December, we had 3 donors to pick from. Once the donor egg process started, we did shots of Leuprolode...10 units each morning, in the thigh. We then added Estradiol 2 mg tablets. I started with 2 tablets for 3 days, then 3 tablets for three days, and then 4 tablets a day. And dropped to 5 units of the Leuprolode. Then right before the transfer, we switched to injections of progesterone...1 ml each morning. Once we were pregnant, both the progesterone and estrodiol continued...although we increased the progesterone to 1.5 ml.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Methodist For Women. (Assigned nurse: Karey)
Karey worked with us on our calendar, explained each step is the process, got us a couple resources where we could apply for a reduction in the cost of the mess for the donor (we didn't qualify based on income, but did get a 10% rebate from one company), and answered all of our questions. If she wasn't sure, she said so and followed up with us quickly after getting the answer. She always greats us by name. Everyone else in the clinic is great too, from the from desk to the phlebotomist, to the nurses, to the ultrasound tech (who also was extremely compassionate during the ultrasound were we learned of the miscarriage).
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Everyone's very friendly and helpful. The one drawback, is in the back area where are the rooms are, sometimes you can hear others because there's an area where everyone stops to talk with the Drs or nurses before they leave...very open and could be disconcerting
Goodness, we are still paying, but they really try to send as much through insurance as possible. Here's the breakdown: Charges related to the Donor: Screening, Lab Work, Ultrasounds - $7366 Retrieval - $5676 Donor Fee - $4000 Medications - $3000 Charges related to recipient: IVF Lab Fee - $3345 Embryo Transfer - $2250 Pathology Fee - $92 I have a really great prescription plan, so all of my medications have been $10 per prescription...so far we've spent about $80. And then each week it's between $200 and $600, depending on the blood draw and ultrasound.
2013 - 2015
We looked forward to seeing [Dr. Oakes] Meghan at our visits. She was honest and gave us all the facts ahead of time instead of sugar coating the process. She was friendly and honest without being harsh. Blunt, but in a good way and she wanted us to make sure we knew that the process can be hard, but that she would work her best to get us what we wanted...
2013 - 2015
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
We looked forward to seeing Meghan at our visits. She was honest and gave us all the facts ahead of time instead of sugar coating the process. She was friendly and honest without being harsh. Blunt, but in a good way and she wanted us to make sure we knew that the process can be hard, but that she would work her best to get us what we wanted.
Expect honesty and bluntness. If your situation is difficult (I don't ovulate and my husband has low count and low mobility) she is going to tell you how it is and not sugar coat it. Hard doesn't mean impossible.
She knew our names. She shared her story with us and was very candid about the process. We knew what to expect and she was very good at actually listening and caring about our questions and process.
Very nice women. Respectful of my constant questions. Helped to ease my mind when I would call in a panic about something. Our second round I needed to bring my toddler with and they were very helpful with him.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
I loved this clinic. It was clean, quiet, and accommodating. Phones were answered quickly and messages returned promptly. Easily adapted to me doing some testing at another clinic because I lived an hour away.
We paid up front for meds and doctors appointments. We were billed for our genetic testing.
2014 - 2017
Dr Oakes was very kind and had a direct path in mind. She did take into consideration the path my husband and I wanted to follow. We were successful twice with her, which does help my view on the process....The way the office is set up, it feels very much like a cattle call. But personally, she treated me like a human.... Do your research and ask lots of questions. Get explanations of why she wants to go particular routes.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
Be your own advocate. Do your research and ask lots of questions. Get explanations of why she wants to go particular routes.
Very rude and not at all compassionate. But they were good at what they did.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Loved the actual clinic! Even though it is like a cattle call, it was nice to sit in the waiting room with others and know that you’re not alone in this process. I also like going in during an open hours time (before work) vs always scheduling appointments.
They were very reasonable with insurance coverage.
She wanted to try eSET first to see if we would be successful. She would rather me be pregnant with one vs two, as multiples can be very hard on the mom and babies to be.
Omaha
She [Dr. Meghan Oakes] has a very good bed side manner and takes time to answer questions you have and explain what's going on...She is compassionate and a good communicator. She explained that that we have male infertility factor and without ivf we have 2% chance of getting pregnant naturally. She then explained why iui isn't an option for us due to sperm count how it would just be a waste.
How was your experience with Meghan Oakes at Methodist For Women?
She has a very good bed side manner and takes time to answer questions you have and explain what's going on.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
The clinic is easy to get a hold of and friendly staff. Always able to answer questions. They were reassuring when I was nervous about seeing a new Dr. There was never a long wait to check in for your appointment or lab drop off
She said as long as we are ok with chance of twins she's totally fine with transfering 2 embryos