Medical SchoolUCLA
FellowshipUSC
13320 Riverside Drive
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
818-616-9277
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Melanie Landay to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.7
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Valley Center to a friend?
From day one I felt at complete ease with Dr. Landay. She was candid about the odds of conceiving at my age while still being encouraging. She was very thorough with the testing and with her explanations of each procedure as well as what we should expect... She is very personable, empathetic and even funny which is great in such a stressful time. Although the IUIs have been unsuccessful, I have no hesitation in moving forward with our IVF treatment
How was your experience with Melanie Landay at Valley Center?
From day one I felt at complete ease with Dr. Landay. She was candid about the odds of conceiving at my age while still being encouraging. She was very thorough with the testing and with her explanations of each procedure as well as what we should expect. I could always reach her or Dr. Koopersmith via text or phone, even weekends and holidays (they take turns being on call). She is very personable, empathetic and even funny which is great in such a stressful time. Although the IUIs have been unsuccessful, I have no hesitation in moving forward with our IVF treatment with Dr. Landay. She cares about her patients and I know she will do everything she can to help us conceive, including being honest about not moving forward if it doesn't make sense chance wise.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melanie Landay at Valley Center?
If you are having trouble conceiving go and see her right away. Sooner rather than later. She's wonderful and you will not regret it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melanie Landay at Valley Center?
Dr. Landay always spoke with warmth, humor, compassion and candor. She was very personal as if you were being treated by a girl friend.
Describe the protocols Melanie Landay used in your cycles at Valley Center and their degree of success.
We started off with blood work to test hormone levels, ultrasounds to check ovaries and follicles, a FemVu procedure to confirm my tubes were open, sperm testing for volume, concentration and motility as well as genetic screening. As my diagnosis was diminished ovarian reserve due to my age, we begin treatment immediately following. My first cycle we used clomid, ultrasound monitoring and one IUI. The next three cycles we used increased dosages of Gonal F (starting with 3 doses of 100mg on the first cycle all the way to 1600mgs over the last cycle) and two IUIs per round, one the day before and one the day after ovulation. None of the cycles were successful so Dr. Landay met with me to discuss options and we decided that moving forward with IVF is our best option.
The nurses were always friendly and gentle when taking labs or assisting in procedures. They were very helpful when I had questions and great about getting back to me.
Describe your experience with Valley Center.
The clinic is very pleasant. There are plenty of magazines while you wait not that you are usually waiting very long. And there are toys for your little ones if you are lucky enough to have them. It is in a new location on Van Nuys Boulevard and you do need to pay for parking as the clinic does not validate. All of the staff are very friendly and I cannot say enough wonderful things about the two doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melanie Landay at Valley Center.
Ultrasounds were $200 and the last couple rounds of IUI I with injectibles I was being monitored by ultrasounds every other day that last week of the cycle. Hormone blood tests (Estradiol, Progesterone, FSH, LH, HCG) are $35 each. The FemVue procedure was $550. And a typical round of Intrauterine Insemination would cost $570-- $200 for the ultrasound, $220 for the insemination and $150 for the sperm wash. A typical cycle would be 1-2 inseminations. Injectible medications are quite pricey but that is through the pharmacies.
Describe Melanie Landay's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Valley Center.
Dr. Landay prefers single embryo transfer with the reasoning that a single birth vs. multiples is the safer option.
Sherman Oaks
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Landay is super relatable. She's gone through procedures herself so she knows exactly how to describe it to a patient. She's funny and witty and helps take some of the stress out of tense situations while always remaining professional. While I didn't get the outcome I hoped for, I know that Dr Landay did everything im her power to make us parents. We're trying donor eggs soon (my egg quality is beyond poor), and I will continue my care under Dr Landay. She's amazing at what she does, and I have zero doubts about my quality of care, even though we weren't successful.
European, Native American, Other
How was your experience with Melanie Landay at Valley Center?
Do it. Go see her. Even if you're just thinking about egg preservation or if you're a same sex couple wanting a baby. She can help. My only regret was I waited a very long time before I sought help. Dr Landay is among the best there is. She can help.
She took time during our appointments, even if it put her behind in her day. She was available by phone and text, even on weekends. She cried with me when we didn't get the results we had expected. She was available for consult - free of charge - to discuss next steps when things went awry. She answered all my questions, even when I asked them multiple times. She sacrifices part of her personal life to keep appointments for IUI/egg retrievals even if they fall on weekends/holidays.
When we started, I was a 33yo with a history of two early miscarriages (5-6 weeks), after trying for over 7 years. We did an HSG and hydro to make sure everything was working, no blockages or fibroids, and she checked all my hormone levels, my thyroid, even auto immune markers. She was thorough. When everything looked great, we prepped for IUI using Clomid and progesterone suppositories. I was initially diagnosed with "unexplained fertility", but once she saw I was only getting 2-3 follicles on Clomid, she changed the "diagnosis" to low ovarian reserve, even though my hormone levels were great. We switched protocol to Letrozole and a half cycle of injectable hormones (Gonal F, HCG) which was supposed to help out. I got a few more follicles, so next try we did a full round of injectables. I responded better, but was still only getting 4-5 big follies (over 14mm), but didn't get pregnant. I instead had 2 biochemicals. Since more than 3 IUIs had failed, she was very candid and explained that if we hadn't gotten pregnant yet with IUIs, it most likely wouldn't happen, and there must have been something else going on that she couldn't diagnose without moving forward. She suggested stopping the IUIs and saving up for a different course of action. She recommended acupuncture in conjunction with ubiquinol, DHEA, and a slurry of other vitamins and herbals, to help with my ovarian response and what she was now assuming was an egg quality issue (my husband's sperm analysis came back perfect). She even suggested an in depth genetic study of my husband's sperm as well as a genetic screening for him, and the only hiccup was that he had an inverted Chromosome 9. She met with a genetic counselor to determine it's significance and they declared it medically insignificant. So we moved on. I was responding very well to the injectables and would be a great candidate for IVF, so we tried that after a few months of acupuncture and supplements. I don't remember the exact dosage, but I was injecting Gonal F and Menopur, then Certitide with a 10,000 IU dose of HCG for the trigger. We retrieved 12 eggs, but only 5 were mature. All 5 fertilized with ICSI, but they all arrested by day 4. After this failure, she discussed with us how to move forward. She was sure now I had a bad egg quality issue, since less than half of my eggs were mature and 4 of the 5 embryos arrested by day 3, before the sperm really had a chance to be a contributing factor in cell division. She explained all of this, in a free consult, at my convenience. There were tears on both sides, and even though I was hurting, seeing her upset right with me made me feel better - she was just as invested in this as my husband and I were. We discussed trying again with a different protocol. She upped my dosages of both Gonal F and Menopur, and added Omnitrope (human growth hormone), Dex, and pushed my retrieval an extra day to get my levels up. Everything went well - but even though we retrieved 17 eggs this time... only 5 were mature. She was able to get 2 more to mature in the lab with assisted hatching, but only the initial 5 fertilized. All arrested/disintegrated by day 3. We knew then it wasn't going to happen with my eggs, and we discussed an egg donor...which is where we're at now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Valley Center. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Pena)
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but this staff is wonderful. There is one older nurse at the clinic that assists in ultrasounds that I'm not 100% fond of - she couldn't find my ovaries during one ultrasound, and she's a little colder and more formal than the rest of the staff, but that's it. I've been at the clinic now for three years. Her care coordinator who I adored took another job, but their replacement (Jessica) was just as great. You can tell a lot of thought goes into their hiring. My husband faints on blood draws, and they were always supportive and put him in a private room with a bed and made sure to have smelling salts and juice/cookies for him. They made him feel comfortable and it took the embarassment out of it (he's 6'2" and passes clean out). They're good people.
Describe your experience with Valley Center.
There are two doctors in this clinic and they switch off working weekends/holidays. This is a major strength, because patient procedures, where timing is critical, isn't relegated to 9-5 M-F. I had an IUI on July 4th. My friend had one on Christmas day. Both doctors sacrifice a bit of their personal lives for their patients. That's amazing. Their waiting room is also great - they have an elliptical machine for patient use, as well as an area for mindfulness exercises, just in case the doctors are running behind. I've literally never had time to use them, they've always gotten me in and out, but knowing it's there is incredible. I've referred a friend and she's had the same experience, and I have other friends with other clinics, and in speaking with them, I know I'm recieving the best care. It's a great, patient-focused clinic.
Ultrasounds for IUI monitoring were $300. I think the IUI itself was around $600. I think i was spending about $2500/month, total, during the IUI process, which included 2 IUIs each cycle (day before and day of ovulation). They do take insurance, but my insurance doesn't cover fertility, so everything was out of pocket. She would still try with blood work, etc, to get it covered by insurance, and a lot of my blood tests were covered. For IVF, she has a flat fee of $10,000, which covers everything (lan work, ultrasounds, appointments, and the retrieval itself) except medication and anesthesia. FETs vary depending on the site she uses, but run between $3700-5200.
She discussed my age (34, then 35) and showed me the AMA recommendations. For a woman under 35 with no history of pregnancy complications, she recommended only transferring 1. Women 35-40, with no history of complications, she recommended 1 or 2. Women over 40, that was pushed to 2 or 3. That's it. No more. No Octomoms :)
Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Landay is energetic, smart as a whip, and also compassionate. She always answered all of my questions, and was completely clear. You can tell she knows exactly what she's doing. She also did a surgery on me, and the whole thing was great. Stayed in touch after I left the hospital.... She's not someone who sugar coats, but she is very confident and peaceful in the way she delivers news.... I could text her personally. It is clear that she cares.
European, Latino, Native American
Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Melanie Landay at Valley Center?
I could text her personally. It is clear that she cares.
Removal of ovarian cyst, removal of polyps, diagnosis of fibroids, referral for husband's infertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Valley Center. (Assigned nurse: Its a small office, everyone is so nice!)
Everyone at the office is so kind and compassionate. It's a small group, which is a huge plus. I didn't feel like a number at all.
Describe your experience with Valley Center.
There's not free parking? I don't really have anything bad to say. They were great at helping us to pay and provided guidance on the financing for IVF & the drugs. I can't say how important being in a small, dedicated office was to us during this super, super hard time.
All my fertility testing was covered under insurance. They were so helpful with that billing. The rest of it was straight-forward.
She was very clear on what she recommended. One genetically tested embryo, but she said she'd do two if we REALLY wanted twins.
What specific things went wrong at Valley Center?