Medical SchoolU. of New Jersey
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
2005 Technology Pkwy
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
877-916-4244
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Melissa Esposito to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia to a friend?
2013 - 2018
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
When I first met [Dr. Melissa] Espositto I felt like I was at the right place & she made me feel like family. I will be forever thankful for all she did to help us achieve one of our dreams of having a child. She was compassionate & caring from the beginning & throughout all my bad experiences. I just wish from the start some things would of been mentioned about doing like pgs testing & ERA biopsy not at the end when I had practically used all my embryos. It was nice when she would call me before a transfer & wish me good luck but towards the end it was always communicating w the nurse.
2013 - 2018
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
When I first met Espositto I felt like I was at the right place & she made me feel like family. I will be forever thankful for all she did to help us achieve one of our dreams of having a child. She was compassionate & caring from the beginning & throughout all my bad experiences. I just wish from the start some things would of been mentioned about doing like pgs testing & ERA biopsy not at the end when I had practically used all my embryos. It was nice when she would call me before a transfer & wish me good luck but towards the end it was always communicating w the nurse. I am currently trying yet for another baby but unfortunately have to start over from a retrieval & switched drs due to I feel abandoned by her now. I know she is a great dr but for some reason she refuses to call me or maybe the nurse isn't asking her to. She has been a blessing to me but I have a new dr now that I hope will give it their all to help me achieve my dreams of having a second baby!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Don't be hesitant to ask questions or second guess anything! She is a great dr but its your future♡
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I would say I got treated more like a human until after my first & only live birth. Then I felt more like a number after that cuz it was the same protocols time after time & results were similar unfortunately.
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
One retrieval 10 eggs 9 mature & all 9 fertilized w Icsi to great quality blasts. Transferred 1 fresh ended in chemical. 2nd FET w 1 was neg. 3rd FET w 2 was pos & ended in live birth♡. 4th FET w 2 was pos but ended in MC at 9wks. 5th FET w 2 was pos but ended in MC at 7.5 wks. 6th FET w 1 was chemical but embryo stuck in catheter & had to reprep it for transfer again. My 3rd -6th i did endo scratch w prednisolone & lovenox w other transfer meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
She was always good at responding to emails & phone calls. There was a few times there was miscommunications & I'm glad I asked questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Sometimes this clinic is extremely busy so don't expect to be in & out in 30min. Always ask questions to make sure you are all on same page. Front desk could be more knowledgeable. There was a few times I was there & asked hey wasn't I supposed to have this done today. Then they were like hold on let me check & would come back in to say yeah you are right.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
You could go in at certain hrs in morn & mostly when it worked best for you. Sometimes you could go in & it was extremely busy & waited a long time. Then there was days you were in & out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Many many $1000s. Too much unfortunately. All out of pocket
Describe Melissa Esposito's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
She said one for 1st two transfers but after that it was 2.
Mechanicsburg
She [Dr. Esposito] is warm and kind. She makes direct eye contact and doesn't interrupt when you're talking. She is very willing to give more or less detail based on your feedback. She never seems like she's in a hurry...a very professional doctor who maintains the high standard of the clinic without feeling cold or clinical. She is very conversational with patients but is able to answer questions directly and provide more or less information based on your level of inquiry.
Dr. Esposito is a very professional doctor who maintains the high standard of the clinic without feeling cold or clinical. She is very conversational with patients but is able to answer questions directly and provide more or less information based on your level of inquiry. I appreciate the balance between her warm manner and high level of professionalism. Our conversations have always been candid and thorough. She is gentle when performing evaluations and never seems like she is in a hurry.
Don't make any assumptions based on fear or lack of experience--the best way to make the next step is to get more information. The more you know the better prepared you are to move forward with clarity and confidence.
She is warm and kind. She makes direct eye contact and doesn't interrupt when you're talking. She is very willing to give more or less detail based on your feedback. She never seems like she's in a hurry.
The trajectory that we have mapped out with Dr. Esposito is to start my first round of fertility medications this month, starting with medication and ovulation charting the first round and then move to medication with timed intercourse and then medication, egg harvesting an then IUI as necessary.
The nursing staff is professional, polite, conversational and willing to go the extra step to ensure quality patient care.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Shady Grove is all about education. They have unlimited opportunities to better your understanding of yourself, your fertility journey, their treatments and services, as well as the case histories of other patients in similar fertility stages, treatments and outcomes.
IUI is 1,800 per cycle--Medication costs were per insurance provider.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. Esposito cared deeply about our desire to be parents. She was patient through the process of explaining everything to us even if she had to repeat herself. She was very empathetic and was supportive of the way we wanted to go about treatment.... She made sure to answer our questions fully and she covered all risks involved. We appreciated how she spoke to us in a down-to-earth manner and she treated us with importance and sensitivity. She was reassuring and when our first cycle failed she felt deeply unsatisfied and outlined exactly how the protocol would change and how she was going to make this happen for us.
Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. Esposito was explicit in her explanation of treatment. She made sure to answer our questions fully and she covered all risks involved. We appreciated how she spoke to us in a down-to-earth manner and she treated us with importance and sensitivity. She was reassuring and when our first cycle failed she felt deeply unsatisfied and outlined exactly how the protocol would change and how she was going to make this happen for us. "I just want to make your dream of becoming parents come true", those were her exact words.
Have faith. Trust the process. Ask questions- there is no such thing as "too many questions". Make sure you feel like all of your concerns are addressed and you are being heard. If you are a patient of Dr. Esposito, you will have no trouble with that. Be upfront and transparent.
I was on a menopur/gonal protocol with femera to keep my endometriosis at bay and introduced cetrotide towards the end of stims to prevent ovulation. Triggered with HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cicero)
Amy was out of this world, amazing. Couldn't have asked for a better nurse. So patient and so incredibly kind hearted. Such an amazing communicator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They are organized, communicative, flexible and make sure your experience is to your satisfaction. I expressed concerns about the financial counselor we were assigned and we received a phone call the very next day from our new financial counselor.
Meds were between $5K-$6K, genetic testing was $5K. The rest was covered by my insurance. We exhausted insurance benefits for 2nd cycle so we opted to go with Shared Risk so we had a fair shot at making and bringing our baby home. Shared Risk is out of pocket and runs $19,500 plus $3,500 for genetic testing.
2012 - 2017
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
We had special requests to only fertalize a few eggs at a time due to our religious beliefs and she [Dr. Esposito] was totally in board with it. She cares about us and wants to make us happy...she always heard me when I spoke though. She had time for me when I get an appt slot with her. She explains things very clearly and throughly. Highly recommend her. I just wish I was able to contact her more easily for a specific question...she Is very busy and hard to get to talk to but great bed side manner..
2012 - 2017
Other, Prefer not to answer
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
We had special requests to only fertalize a few eggs at a time due to our religious beliefs and she was totally in board with it. She cares about us and wants to make us happy but also try's to seat us of making potential mistakes with decisions. She always heard me when I spoke though. She had time for me when I get an appt slot with her. She explains things very clearly and throughly. Highly recommend her. I just wish I was able to contact her more easily for a specific question. Sometimes it seems as if they have too much on each of their plates.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Trust her
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
She treated me good, she Is very busy and hard to get to talk to but great bed side manner
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My first ivf was with my husbands sperm and it didn't take. I was in progesterone suppositories and estrace pills. My second cycle was with donor sperm. It much different but ended on miscarriage. Later the donor was recalled due to an issue with another pregnancy. My 3-7 cycles we did an implantation protocol consisting of progesterone in oil injections, estrodiol injections and lovenox blood thinner injections. I also did 1-2 endometrial scratches to help with implantation. 2 miscarriages, 1 live birth, and I'm still in my 2 week wait with my last cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tony)
My current nurse has good and bad days. After I brought light to the issue she has been much better if a communicator and more compassionate. I also thinks the nurses are expected too much off and are potentially over worked. The nursing staff as a whole I can't say enough good things about!!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The sgfc strengths are they are good communicators most of the time. The receptionists are fantastic!! I have. Even a patient for 7 or so years and have gotten to know most by first name basis and most are great. You also have to take into consideration that they all have lives too and they are allowed to have off days like the rest of us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility.
Each cycle was different. The there is a lot of financial options. Shared risk program which we did twice, shared help discount which we always received 25-30% off which can be combined with the shared tick program sometimes. There is fertility finance that you can get loans through and the case foundation and savannah grants.
Describe Melissa Esposito's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
She prefers eSET however I have always transferred 2 (except once I transferred one due to online having one) she was willing to listen to my request and granted it after telling me the risks is twin preganancy
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Frederick
I loved her [Dr. Melissa Esposito]. I loved that she was blunt about things and her opinions... always having research to back it up too!...I did 6 IUIs, and she was up front that she only wanted to do 3 max, less if we were comfortable. She doesn't like IUIs as much due to such low success rates. I totally agree with her!! Unfortunately my insurance forced us to do 6 before moving onto IVF. We did 3 cycles on clomid, 3 cycles on injectable meds then moved onto Antagonist Protocol for IVF with ICSI.
I loved her. I loved that she was blunt about things and her opinions... always having research to back it up too!
She doesn't always have a filter, but I loved that. She's eccentric and very knowledgeable.
Dr Esposito always took time to talk to me after our appointments, she wouldn't just rush out. She always remembered everything about us and would even stop and talk to us in the hallway. When I was in the room still for different procedures, she would run out to waiting room and let my husband know I was good. She was optimistic but honest about percentages and didn't sugar coat things. Also took time to explain anything we needed in great detail.
The nurses are always very sweet! They talk and get to know you... they were very kind to me as I faint often when I have blood taken. Eventually got it under control, but they were soooo patient
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I loved everything about this clinic. I do want to warn you that they have many branches and if you're branch doesn't have a Dr on the day your cycle falls for transfer or IUI, you may have to go elsewhere. I didn't mind this as it gave me tons if options for appt times. And all the doctors I've encountered have been great through Shady Grove
IVF,ICSI cost about $10000 and $4000 in meds. Luckily we have insurance contracted rate which knocked it to $7000 and then insurance paid $4700 of that. So for us it was around $6400. IUI Was about $500-$700 contracted rate I think
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
I wrote a lot about Dr. Esposito in another earlier question. She also didn't pay attention to if the ultrasound showed old brown blood at the top of my uterus before an IUI. I found that that's not something the doctor's typically look for but it should be something the doctor's look for. I had one IUI where the nurse was about to do the IUI and she said, " You have some old blood at the top of your uterus." That should have been discovered days before the IUI and cleaned out. That wasn't the time to be told about it. The nurse did the IUI anyway but sperm don't do well trying to swim through old blood. Dr. Bromer finally told me that.
She may under estimate your infertility. Don't go to her if you want IUI or if your husband had a successful reversal and you still can't get pregnant.
Dr. Esposito never took our infertility seriously. During my first time with her, she said, " You just need a little nudge." " It just takes longer in your 30's." I asked her about getting donor sperm b/c I knew there must be something wrong with my husband's sperm and she said, " It won't come to that." I told her about how the urologist told us that my husband's sperm has been attacked by his antibodies and Dr. Esposito said that the Dr. she trained with didn't believe in the antibodies attacking the sperm. So she was implying she didn't believe in it either. I asked her what my husband could take to help his sperm and she said, " Clomid." I thought that was really weird. After I broke away from Dr. Esposito and went to Dr. Bromer, I asked him the same question and he answered it quite differently. He said my husband should take a supplement with L-Carnitine in it. Dr. Esposito never told me about Letrozole. She only told me I could take Clomid to mature more eggs for the IUI. Dr. Bromer told me that Letrozole would be a good choice for me to mature more eggs for IUI. For my first IUI with Dr. Esposito, she didn't order a blood test to check my hormones. She only wanted to go by what the transvaginal ultrasound showed. So the ultrasound make it look like the right day was day 11, but my body was not ready then. I even had old brown chunks of blood come out that day. When I had IUI's with Dr. Bromer, he always ordered a blood test and those tests showed that the right day in my cycle was the 13th day. Dr. Esposito didn't tell me that my husband should lose weight to help the sperm. My husband's sperm back then ( 2014) had a motility of 1+/2 which is below normal. In 2015, my husband started exercising and lost about 20 lbs. After that, the motility gradually increased until it was 2+/3 at the best. Dr. Esposito should have made a big deal about the motility. It is important with IUI. Dr. Esposito never mentioned that there could be a problem with my husband's sperm binding with my eggs and penetrating them. When I saw Dr. Bromer, he told me there was likely a problem with my husband's sperm being able to bind with and penetrate my eggs.
She wanted to use the simplest treatment. She did my first IUI without having me get the blood test to check hormones. She just wanted to see what the ultrasound showed. She didn't have me take Letrozole or Clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison Catalani)
Some nurses were really nice and compassionate but I didn't feel that way about Allison Catalani. I felt like I was always telling her I wasn't pregnant and she didn't believe me. She never even said, " I am sorry," when I told her that I wasn't pregnant and I got my period. There was no compassion. She acted like she thought I would get pregnant soon. She was also disorganized. She put me down for timed intercourse once when the doctor and I knew that we were doing IUI. Once, she called my cell and left me a message with another woman's test results. She also forgot to tell me that my husband had to sign a paper before an IUI and it was a real hassle to have him get it done before the IUI could happen. I would sometimes email her a question and she would email me back with as little words as possible. It seemed like she was just emailing as quickly as possible without really caring how she came across. Sometimes, she never got back to me at all and I finally found out from another nurse that I could email my doctor directly. Allison Catalani didn't tell me that. So then after that, I just emailed my doctor with questions rather than Allison Catalani.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Some nurses here are more compassionate than others. My nurse seemed to be on vacation a lot. Some doctors are better than others. Most nurses were more optimistic than they should be. Don't go into the fertility center thinking you will be successful unless you are willing to pay thousands for IVF. IUI doesn't usually work and the doctors and nurses won't tell you that.
I think IUI was like $200. I think a transvaginal ultra sound was $250. I always had a bill of about $500 when I got IUI.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
She [Esposito] is very smart and professional. She makes sure that we understand the process and cares about our opinions. She is very friendly, honest and kind but must importantly she has not gave up on us. She makes us things that there still hope for us.... We have used the Antagonist protocol with birth control pills and the Antagonist-Vivelle protocol without birth control pills. I remember I used Lupron in one of the cycle after my second surgery
Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is very smart and professional. She makes sure that we understand the process and cares about our opinions. She is very friendly, honest and kind but must importantly she has not gave up on us. She makes us things that there still hope for us.
I would advise to be very open and honest.
I felt like a human because they understand how difficult this process has been for us and they always trying to help you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
My nurse is very professional, kind, honest and friendly. She always try to find the way to help us. She makes sure that we understand every protocol and the used of the medication.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My husband and I are very happy with their service. We love the professional environment. The doctors, nurses and staff services is very good, considering the amount of patients that they see on a daily bases.
We are part of a Program which $20,000 for 6 IVF cycle Medication cost of each cycle is around $10,000 to $15,000 depending of the length of the cycle.
Rockville
She [Dr. Melissa Esposito] often ran very late and was cold and artificial...This office bumps patients between doctors and Dr Esposito was never my choice of physician. I was never happy to see that she would be performing a procedure because she was artificial, distant, and not able to make a human connection...Shady Grove seems to use a standard set of protocols, so don't be afraid to push back and ask if that is what is right for you.
Try someone else in the practice.
She often ran very late and was cold and artificial
Both the primary care nurse and some of the ancillary nursing staff were phenomenal. One of the med techs is very cold and gruff.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They would do better to have a more private patient waiting room setup - you will run into people you may know given the small size and few other resources in the area. Their financial aid paperwork is complex and depends upon patients managing multiple pieces of it -- which I was not made aware of until it was too late.
outrageous, but that's what it is with no insurance coverage.
2006 - 2012
Dr. Esposito was patient and caring. During our experience she willing to explain the reproductive science, as well as, health risks. She had a sense of humor but was absolutely professional. We received excellent care and results!...[protocols] Tracking menstral cycle and learning about fertile periods....The clinic [Shady Grove] was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential.
2006 - 2012
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Eat well, keep stress at bay and trust your Doctor.
Tracking menstral cycle and learning about fertile periods.
Professional and caring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential. The clinics waiting space and it’s medical rooms were all comfortable environments. They answered phone calls and questions in a timely manner.