6.7

10630 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044
410.997.6999

Treated 2014 - 2015
Some nurses [at Shady Grove-Frederick] were really nice and compassionate but I didn't feel that way about Allison Catalani. I felt like I was always telling her I wasn't pregnant and she didn't believe me. She never even said, " I am sorry," when I told her that I wasn't pregnant and I got my period. There was no compassion. She acted like she thought I would get pregnant soon. She was also disorganized. She put me down for timed intercourse once when the doctor and I knew that we were doing IUI. Once, she called my cell and left me a message with another woman's test results. She also forgot to tell me that my husband had to sign a paper before an IUI and it was a real hassle to have him get it done before the IUI could happen.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
I wrote a lot about Dr. Esposito in another earlier question. She also didn't pay attention to if the ultrasound showed old brown blood at the top of my uterus before an IUI. I found that that's not something the doctor's typically look for but it should be something the doctor's look for. I had one IUI where the nurse was about to do the IUI and she said, " You have some old blood at the top of your uterus." That should have been discovered days before the IUI and cleaned out. That wasn't the time to be told about it. The nurse did the IUI anyway but sperm don't do well trying to swim through old blood. Dr. Bromer finally told me that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
She may under estimate your infertility. Don't go to her if you want IUI or if your husband had a successful reversal and you still can't get pregnant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Esposito never took our infertility seriously. During my first time with her, she said, " You just need a little nudge." " It just takes longer in your 30's." I asked her about getting donor sperm b/c I knew there must be something wrong with my husband's sperm and she said, " It won't come to that." I told her about how the urologist told us that my husband's sperm has been attacked by his antibodies and Dr. Esposito said that the Dr. she trained with didn't believe in the antibodies attacking the sperm. So she was implying she didn't believe in it either. I asked her what my husband could take to help his sperm and she said, " Clomid." I thought that was really weird. After I broke away from Dr. Esposito and went to Dr. Bromer, I asked him the same question and he answered it quite differently. He said my husband should take a supplement with L-Carnitine in it. Dr. Esposito never told me about Letrozole. She only told me I could take Clomid to mature more eggs for the IUI. Dr. Bromer told me that Letrozole would be a good choice for me to mature more eggs for IUI. For my first IUI with Dr. Esposito, she didn't order a blood test to check my hormones. She only wanted to go by what the transvaginal ultrasound showed. So the ultrasound make it look like the right day was day 11, but my body was not ready then. I even had old brown chunks of blood come out that day. When I had IUI's with Dr. Bromer, he always ordered a blood test and those tests showed that the right day in my cycle was the 13th day. Dr. Esposito didn't tell me that my husband should lose weight to help the sperm. My husband's sperm back then ( 2014) had a motility of 1+/2 which is below normal. In 2015, my husband started exercising and lost about 20 lbs. After that, the motility gradually increased until it was 2+/3 at the best. Dr. Esposito should have made a big deal about the motility. It is important with IUI. Dr. Esposito never mentioned that there could be a problem with my husband's sperm binding with my eggs and penetrating them. When I saw Dr. Bromer, he told me there was likely a problem with my husband's sperm being able to bind with and penetrate my eggs.
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
She wanted to use the simplest treatment. She did my first IUI without having me get the blood test to check hormones. She just wanted to see what the ultrasound showed. She didn't have me take Letrozole or Clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison Catalani)
Some nurses were really nice and compassionate but I didn't feel that way about Allison Catalani. I felt like I was always telling her I wasn't pregnant and she didn't believe me. She never even said, " I am sorry," when I told her that I wasn't pregnant and I got my period. There was no compassion. She acted like she thought I would get pregnant soon. She was also disorganized. She put me down for timed intercourse once when the doctor and I knew that we were doing IUI. Once, she called my cell and left me a message with another woman's test results. She also forgot to tell me that my husband had to sign a paper before an IUI and it was a real hassle to have him get it done before the IUI could happen. I would sometimes email her a question and she would email me back with as little words as possible. It seemed like she was just emailing as quickly as possible without really caring how she came across. Sometimes, she never got back to me at all and I finally found out from another nurse that I could email my doctor directly. Allison Catalani didn't tell me that. So then after that, I just emailed my doctor with questions rather than Allison Catalani.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Some nurses here are more compassionate than others. My nurse seemed to be on vacation a lot. Some doctors are better than others. Most nurses were more optimistic than they should be. Don't go into the fertility center thinking you will be successful unless you are willing to pay thousands for IVF. IUI doesn't usually work and the doctors and nurses won't tell you that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility.
I think IUI was like $200. I think a transvaginal ultra sound was $250. I always had a bill of about $500 when I got IUI.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I wrote about all the things that went wrong in the prior questions.
Frederick

Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Melissa Esposito] often ran very late and was cold and artificial...This office bumps patients between doctors and Dr Esposito was never my choice of physician. I was never happy to see that she would be performing a procedure because she was artificial, distant, and not able to make a human connection...Shady Grove seems to use a standard set of protocols, so don't be afraid to push back and ask if that is what is right for you.
Both the primary care nurse and some of the ancillary nursing staff were phenomenal. One of the med techs is very cold and gruff...Shady Grove seems to use a standard set of protocols, so don't be afraid to push back and ask if that is what is right for you...They would do better to have a more private patient waiting room setup - you will run into people you may know given the small size and few other resources in the area. Their financial aid paperwork is complex and depends upon patients managing multiple pieces of it -- which I was not made aware of until it was too late.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Try someone else in the practice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
She often ran very late and was cold and artificial
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
outrageous, but that's what it is with no insurance coverage.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I qualified for their discount program but was not informed I had to call the pharmacy and other providers myself to relay this information. This error cost me thousands of dollars.
Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia